What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official*** Ronnie Hillman bandwagon.... (1 Viewer)

Sabertooth

Footballguy
I don't want to steal thunder from the Audible, but Hillman needs his own thread. He's been pimped as the next Lesean McCoy. His upside with Peyton Manning there is off the charts. He's available as the RB42 right now. If he takes this job in camp, he's Top 20 easily. McGahee was old last year and he's even older now. Knowshon looks like a bust barring some serious Phoenix action. The job is there for the taking. Here is a great interview Footballguy's own Cecil Lammey had with Hillman if you are a subscriber.

Like I stated, I didn't start the bandwagon, but we need one and this is just a placeholder for Cecil.

http://subscribers.footballguys.com/2012/12interview_ronniehillman.php

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like him but I don't like his coach. John Fox in Carolina seemed to love veterans and hate rookies (at least that was the feeling I always got). With that said I don't think Hillman see's the field enough this year to be fantasy relevant.

I really like him but I don't like his coach. John Fox in Carolina seemed to love veterans and hate rookies (at least that was the feeling I always got). With that said I don't think Hillman see's the field enough this year to be fantasy relevant.
Agree 100%. I'm hoping Fox changes his tune because of fit here. I really like Hillman as a dynasty prospect. If McGahee hits the wall this year, I just don't see Fox leaning on Moreno. But you are right on the veteran's. That's the biggest obstacle to Hillman's ascent. And it's deep seated too. He's done this dating back to Stephen Davis.

It all comes down to pass blocking. They won't put Peyton out there with his gimpy neck with a RB who can't pick up the blitz.

Guys in my dynasty league listen to Cecil so his price is too high. I can get him in my redrafts but think he is more a dynasty pickup. He won't be on any of my teams as he was taken at 1.6.

Fox compared Hillman to Marshall Faulk after drafting him. The Broncos have Willis McGahee, Knowshon Moreno (who may very well be on his way out) recovering from a torn ACL, and Mario Fannin (alos coming off a serious knee injury)/Lance Ball. I think the opportunity for carries will be there early on. I'm on board...grabbed him at 1.9 in a dynasty rookie draft. And I think he's worth the risk aronud the 9th or 10th round--where I have seen him going--in redrafts.

I thought about going after mcgahee to pair with him. As a hillman dynasty owner, what would you give for mcgahee?

'bengalbuck said:
It all comes down to pass blocking. They won't put Peyton out there with his gimpy neck with a RB who can't pick up the blitz.
No it doesn't really. He could prove a good passblocker and still sit behind the veteran McGahee. Fox's history isn't kind to rookies. That said, if Hillman shows he has McCoy like skills, Fox will play him.

I don't want to steal thunder from the Audible, but Hillman needs his own thread. He's been pimped as the next Lesean McCoy. His upside with Peyton Manning there is off the charts. He's available as the RB42 right now. If he takes this job in camp, he's Top 20 easily. McGahee was old last year and he's even older now. Knowshon looks like a bust barring some serious Phoenix action. The job is there for the taking. Here is a great interview Footballguy's own Cecil Lammey had with Hillman if you are a subscriber.

Like I stated, I didn't start the bandwagon, but we need one and this is just a placeholder for Cecil.

How'd that work with the Julius Thomas Hype train?
Julius Thomas Hype train

Cecil Lammey has all but built this train himself. I'm merely going along for the ride.
:tfp:

Julius Thomas Hype train

Cecil Lammey has all but built this train himself. I'm merely going along for the ride.
I like Lammey, but he jumps all over certain guys in hopes of hitting it big, unfortunately 90% of his crushes bust badly.Hillman is a complete crapshoot, he has a chance to be solid but he's far more likely to be a role player or bust then a reliable FF option.

I tried to get him in my league the guy asked for the following trade:

I give 2013 1st and 2014 1st

I get Hillman, 2013 2nd, 2013 4th

No it doesn't really. He could prove a good passblocker and still sit behind the veteran McGahee. Fox's history isn't kind to rookies. That said, if Hillman shows he has McCoy like skills, Fox will play him.
I think between both Fox and pass pro for gimpy Peyton betting that Hillman has a big role in year 1 would be a bad one.If I get McGahee in the 8th I'll come back with Hillman in the 9th, but if I don't get McGahee I don't see myself ending up with Hillman. This is more likely to be a train to be boarded in 2013.

Let's not forget that mcgahee could hit the wall at basically any point. He is not a good fit for the stretch plays Peyton favors. Hillman is a much better fit on those.

I've had him top on my board since last year. Many people still don't believe in him but I've seen enough to know he can handle the NFL.

All aboard the Dee Brown, DeShaun Foster, DeAngelo Williams, Jonathan Stewart, Ronnie Hillman train!

All aboard the Dee Brown, DeShaun Foster, DeAngelo Williams, Jonathan Stewart, Ronnie Hillman train!

I don't recall the DWill one...but it turned out to be pretty damn good for dynasty owners.ETA: for dynasty

In redraft I don't think he sniffs anything close to what McGahee will. Blitz pick up is going to be very important. Denver's OL is not that good, they need a guy in the backfield that can understand defenses. I don't see a ton of upside here and especially with a head coach like John Fox who always plays the veterans. I just don't see it but I doubt most will take this guy in local leagues before say 40-45 RBs are off the board so if you do want him you don't have to pay much. McGahee is 5th-7th material? Pair them up and you probably are solid at your RB2 spot but I don't think Hilllman is necessary and I don't believe most owners will keep him for long on their rosters once the season starts.

IMO, reports of Moreno's demise are greatly exaggerated. It's early, obviously, but I'm hearing good things about Moreno in the passing game and how this offense suits him well.

i'm not sure how it plays out just yet, but it's possible that McGahee is the primary back, Moreno is CoP back, leaving Hillman (the rookie) with rotational duty.

Made his debut 2 weeks ago, had a good week last week, and now the staff states that it sees him as the future starter. If he isn't owned in your league or can be had cheap, now may be the time. He showed some explosion and an effective jump cut last week. I think his role grows with each week. Moreno has been a healthy scratch the past 2 weeks as well. :thumbup:

Julius Thomas Hype train

You do realize Julius Thomas had ankle surgery? The guy is still talented, but needs to show better football toughness in my opinion and develop in this offense. Emergence of Virgil Green is also holding him back.

Julius Thomas Hype train

I like Lammey, but he jumps all over certain guys in hopes of hitting it big, unfortunately 90% of his crushes bust badly.Hillman is a complete crapshoot, he has a chance to be solid but he's far more likely to be a role player or bust then a reliable FF option.
Bolded part simply not true. Do I have my misses? Yes, of course. Anyone doing what I do has that happen...hell, NFL teams have that happen in their scouting department. Scouts that I talk to and trust have that happen. I wrote an article for this site during Arian Foster's junior year at Tennessee about him being a deep sleeper, several other examples and my record speaks for itself. I talk to coaches, players, scouts on a weekly basis - all year long. I travel to all 3 college All Star games to get a firsthand look at the incoming talent. If I happen to get excited about a player it's because of my eye for talent, not some fanboy crush. It's my job to take a stand on players, observe their game, gather insight from scouts/coaches/players themselves, and then pass it along to you.

And to get this thread back on track.....

ronnie hillman looked pretty damn good last night, and as expected his role is beginning to grow. Obviously has the speed to make plays in the open field, but I also continue to admire his willingness to run between the tackles. Hillman can make plays in trash, and that's what makes him a potential full time RB of the future for the Broncos. He's getting better in pass protection, John Fox told me two weeks ago they've seen progress there. Peyton Manning continued to praise Hillman last night. Trust me, you're not playing or getting the ball much if Manning doesn't trust you in that offense. We should continue to see Hillman play a similar role going forward. Get McGahee 20 carries or so, get Hillman 10-15 carries/touches a game. He's just another weapon for the arsenal at this time, and can be relied on to do more if the opportunity arises.

Headed out to Dove Valley today. My first question for John Fox? What he thought of Ronnie Hillman last night. :popcorn:

And to get this thread back on track.....ronnie hillman looked pretty damn good last night, and as expected his role is beginning to grow. Obviously has the speed to make plays in the open field, but I also continue to admire his willingness to run between the tackles. Hillman can make plays in trash, and that's what makes him a potential full time RB of the future for the Broncos. He's getting better in pass protection, John Fox told me two weeks ago they've seen progress there. Peyton Manning continued to praise Hillman last night. Trust me, you're not playing or getting the ball much if Manning doesn't trust you in that offense. We should continue to see Hillman play a similar role going forward. Get McGahee 20 carries or so, get Hillman 10-15 carries/touches a game. He's just another weapon for the arsenal at this time, and can be relied on to do more if the opportunity arises. Headed out to Dove Valley today. My first question for John Fox? What he thought of Ronnie Hillman last night. :popcorn:
Nice. I wish he handled has that ball punched out at the end of that nice run. I thought "aw ####." Any good will he gained on that run was lost at the end.

ronnie hillman looked pretty damn good last night, and as expected his role is beginning to grow. Obviously has the speed to make plays in the open field, but I also continue to admire his willingness to run between the tackles. Hillman can make plays in trash, and that's what makes him a potential full time RB of the future for the Broncos. He's getting better in pass protection, John Fox told me two weeks ago they've seen progress there. Peyton Manning continued to praise Hillman last night. Trust me, you're not playing or getting the ball much if Manning doesn't trust you in that offense. We should continue to see Hillman play a similar role going forward. Get McGahee 20 carries or so, get Hillman 10-15 carries/touches a game. He's just another weapon for the arsenal at this time, and can be relied on to do more if the opportunity arises.

Headed out to Dove Valley today. My first question for John Fox? What he thought of Ronnie Hillman last night. :popcorn:
Against Nola this might work, but how many other games are they going to be able to get McGahee 23 carries and Hillman 14? The kid has some pop and in dynasty he is nice jar on the shelf, I am just not sold on much value in redraft at this point outside of a handcuff and emergency flex play. Coming into last night he had 17 carries for 50 yards on the season. I am not sure that looking good against the Saints in a blow out is enough to get me excited.

Against Nola this might work, but how many other games are they going to be able to get McGahee 23 carries and Hillman 14? The kid has some pop and in dynasty he is nice jar on the shelf, I am just not sold on much value in redraft at this point outside of a handcuff and emergency flex play. Coming into last night he had 17 carries for 50 yards on the season. I am not sure that looking good against the Saints in a blow out is enough to get me excited.
Know this:

The design of the offense is to get Manning about 30-32 passing attempts per game. In most every game this season they've fallen behind but still get the carries to the RBs. PIT (27), ATL (27), HOU (21), OAK (38), NE (20), SD (22), NO (41)

Look at the rest of their schedule:

9 @Cincinnati (22nd vs run)

10 @Carolina (20th vs run)

11 vs San Diego (2nd vs run *gashed by TRich in week 8)

12 @Kansas City (23rd vs run)

13 vs Tampa Bay (6th vs run)

14 @Oakland (11th vs run)

15 @Baltimore (30th vs run)

16 vs Cleveland (24th vs run)

17 vs Kansas City (23rd vs run)

Broncos ground game is going to be a big part of people's fantasy championships. They should be able to control most of these games, as evidenced by the games they've played the reliance on the ground game is there.

And to get this thread back on track.....ronnie hillman looked pretty damn good last night, and as expected his role is beginning to grow. Obviously has the speed to make plays in the open field, but I also continue to admire his willingness to run between the tackles. Hillman can make plays in trash, and that's what makes him a potential full time RB of the future for the Broncos. He's getting better in pass protection, John Fox told me two weeks ago they've seen progress there. Peyton Manning continued to praise Hillman last night. Trust me, you're not playing or getting the ball much if Manning doesn't trust you in that offense. We should continue to see Hillman play a similar role going forward. Get McGahee 20 carries or so, get Hillman 10-15 carries/touches a game. He's just another weapon for the arsenal at this time, and can be relied on to do more if the opportunity arises. Headed out to Dove Valley today. My first question for John Fox? What he thought of Ronnie Hillman last night. :popcorn:
What about Chris Kuper being back - I think his ability to pull helped get the edges clear for Hillman last nightI'd like to see him put in motion for that quick out screen - have him behind the big boys like DT and see if he can find the quick opening and go.

Know this:

The design of the offense is to get Manning about 30-32 passing attempts per game. In most every game this season they've fallen behind but still get the carries to the RBs. PIT (27), ATL (27), HOU (21), OAK (38), NE (20), SD (22), NO (41)

Look at the rest of their schedule:

<a bunch of sweet match ups>

Broncos ground game is going to be a big part of people's fantasy championships. They should be able to control most of these games, as evidenced by the games they've played the reliance on the ground game is there.
I agree, I own McGahee all over the place. But in a couple leagues the Hillman owner is camping on him and wants starter level of value in return(and that was before this week). I would gladly pick Hillman up to handcuff Willis, but I am not sure I want to give up too much to trade for him at this point.

What about Chris Kuper being back - I think his ability to pull helped get the edges clear for Hillman last nightI'd like to see him put in motion for that quick out screen - have him behind the big boys like DT and see if he can find the quick opening and go.
you're right on the money to point this out. I feel Kuper is a top 5 OG in the NFL. ALSO, getting Koppen in at Center has been a huge advantage, especially when team is running the no huddle. Not going to bag on Walton after that serious injury, but the fact is Koppen is an upgrade.

you're right on the money to point this out. I feel Kuper is a top 5 OG in the NFL. ALSO, getting Koppen in at Center has been a huge advantage, especially when team is running the no huddle. Not going to bag on Walton after that serious injury, but the fact is Koppen is an upgrade.
Okay, I guess I am sold. There is too much potential there for Hillman if McGahee goes down to risk it. I guess I will just have to suck it up and overpay for a back up.

Cecil, McGahee looks real good, and I imagine he will still be the workhorse, but do you think in redraft leagues Hillman is definitely worth blowing your FABB or burning your waiver spot?

Last night reminded me of when Lamar Miller went off earlier this season vs. the Raiders. Bush had his best game as a Dolphin; and Miller racked up nice yardage and a TD of his own.

I think at this point of the season, McGahee is the better "front line" rb ... and Hillman is in the better catbird seat; as far as situation/ offense/ schedule go.

Would the OC (who essentially is Manning) give a blessing here if Willis went down? It's one thing to praise Hillman's complimentary play; quite another to fully endorse if the vet goes down.

Hillman had a good game, but looks pretty average to me. Even when McGahee is done, I can easily see Denver turning the running game over to someone else. Doesn't have nearly the same outlook as Richardson IMO.

Hillman had a good game, but looks pretty average to me. Even when McGahee is done, I can easily see Denver turning the running game over to someone else. Doesn't have nearly the same outlook as Richardson IMO.
The guy who was a top 5 pick or the StL Richardson?

He's too light to likely ever be a feature back, but he could become the Darren Sproles of this offense.

The schedule is sexy, very sexy. You have to wonder if DEN is going to blow out the rest of their opponents (CIN, CAR, SD, KC, TB, OAK, BAL, CLE) and continue to rack up the rushing attempts (near 40 last night). If that's the case, I can see Hillman holding low-end flex almost on a weekly basis. Not much but interesting none the less.

Sounds like I sold low on him a few weeks ago...but I still can't see this guy as anything more than the lesser part of a RBBC....he's TINY!

I love his skill set, but expecting him to become an every down bell-cow is not reasonable.

Sounds like I sold low on him a few weeks ago...but I still can't see this guy as anything more than the lesser part of a RBBC....he's TINY!I love his skill set, but expecting him to become an every down bell-cow is not reasonable.
LOL, he was a bellcow at San Diego State....more carries than Montee Ball (5'11" 215) last year. Plus, Hillman's (5'9" 200) the same size as LeSean McCoy (5'11" 198). As I've always said, the Broncos drafted Hillman to replace McGahee (eventually). He can be a feature back in the eyes of the team.

Users who are viewing this thread