What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Shane Vereen vs. Stevan Ridley (1 Viewer)

Which RB is the one to own?

• Shane Vereen

Votes: 250 47.2%
  • Stevan Ridley

Votes: 250 47.2%
  • Niether, BJGE will be back for the foreseeable future

Votes: 31 5.8%

• Total voters
Hernandez with a nice big gainer. Sandwiched by some ridley running. Ridley and hernandez lead the team in offensive plays, and it is not close. Lloyd draws a pass interference call, and a couple more ridley runs.

Touchdown gronkowski. Easy toss from more than ten yards out.

welker hasn't been in tonight at all. that's one of a very few plays for gronk. I would be cautious about reading TOO much into this game because they have been working on some specific things (and trying to keep brady from getting killed behind an underperforming o line). But ridley looks capable of carrying the load, gronk looks like gronk, and hernandez has been off to a good start.

On to the 4th quarter, and the meaningless snaps begin.

Hernandez with a nice big gainer. Sandwiched by some ridley running. Ridley and hernandez lead the team in offensive plays, and it is not close. Lloyd draws a pass interference call, and a couple more ridley runs.
Is this the game thread or the Vereen vs. Ridley thread? I may have lost my way.

I've seen enough this preseason. Sometimes you need to take a bit of a chance to win. I think that Ridley is going to be a strong RB2 this year. As long as he doesn't fumble away his opportunity, he's llikely going to be on the field for 1st & 2nd down, plus short yardage & goal line. I see him with 900+/- rushing, 200+/- receiving & 10-12 TDs. I think he has significant upside from these numbers as well, but there's no need to get ridiculous. After tonight's game, I'm sure he'll creep back into the 6th round, but I think he'll easily justify that spot.

FWIW, Deion Branch was interviewed the other day and said there is no real meaning or intent by who plays with who, against whom, and when each player plays in preseason games. He said BB wanted to try people in different situations and playing in different combinations to see how hard people played and who worked well together. So his point was it is imnpossible to conclude anything by what the Pats are doing in the preseason in any game in any season.
FYP.

New England Patriots running back Shane Vereen left Friday's preseason game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in the second quarter with a foot injury, reports Nick Underhill of Mass Live via Twitter.Vereen had two carries for negative three yards when he left the game

What I don't get is vereen is seen by so many as being more explosive and adding that element......on the field ridley seems to have more burst and that with his frame is dangerous. He has definetly gotten better in pass pro and they actually look his way time to time in the passing game. I don't think vereen is the more complete runner like stated before as much either. I have said multiple times the pats added those fullback and blocking te's to use a power run game to be more diverse/finish games/help defense and ridley fits that need much better

If you add Demps they just became the Saints as far as RB's go. I was never worried about Vereen when it was just Ridley, now I'd rather avoid the backfield as a whole. Vereen= P. Thomas, Ridley= Ingram, Demps is Sproles. Demps isn't a slouch. As far as fantasy we're all f#cked.

As far as fantasy we're all f#cked.
How do you figure? From some lame Saints comparison? BJGE finished #17 & #24 the last two years. Ridley should do just as well, if not better.
Through all the Ridley vs Vereen talk the Patriots just added a Olympic Sprinter who could get 4-5 touches a game as a rb/wr and let's not mention Woodhead. That just watered down the entire backfield. "Smart tams" realized a committee approach at rb is cheaper, more effective and you're not set back because of injury. I'm not really comparing them to the Saints, I'm saying they are approaching the position like the Saints using 3-4 guys instead of a bellcow. Just look at the what the Saints RB's did as a whole, roughly 3000 yards and 20+ TD's, you'd be hard pressed to find a better running team. The reason we're ####ed is because it's not that hard to copy the model for a tiny fraction of the price of Chris Johnson/Forte. With this many hands in the pot, as much as I think of Vereen or you think of Ridley, how can you honestly handicap more than 150 touches for any of these guys? How can you expect any constancy? I hope not because Ridley had a good day vs the terrible Bucs run D. Its not a BJGE situation with any of them, that's a outdated comparison as opposed to my lame one. This is part of the reason going QB-TE to start a draft isn't a square play like it was years ago. The top offenses devalued the RB position and it's trickled down. I can name on two hands RB's whom I don't care about the dept chart, coaches decisions, or offense. Ridley and Vereen don't fit that category.

Just watched the condensed preseason game 3 vs bucs. Ridley will be on lots of championship rosters. The guy looks 100% legit and will only come off the field for Woody/Demps on passing downs and the occasional breather. I'm expecting high end RB2 numbers.

How do you figure? From some lame Saints comparison? BJGE finished #17 & #24 the last two years. Ridley should do just as well, if not better.
Through all the Ridley vs Vereen talk the Patriots just added a Olympic Sprinter who could get 4-5 touches a game as a rb/wr and let's not mention Woodhead. That just watered down the entire backfield. "Smart tams" realized a committee approach at rb is cheaper, more effective and you're not set back because of injury. I'm not really comparing them to the Saints, I'm saying they are approaching the position like the Saints using 3-4 guys instead of a bellcow. Just look at the what the Saints RB's did as a whole, roughly 3000 yards and 20+ TD's, you'd be hard pressed to find a better running team. The reason we're ####ed is because it's not that hard to copy the model for a tiny fraction of the price of Chris Johnson/Forte. With this many hands in the pot, as much as I think of Vereen or you think of Ridley, how can you honestly handicap more than 150 touches for any of these guys? How can you expect any constancy? I hope not because Ridley had a good day vs the terrible Bucs run D. Its not a BJGE situation with any of them, that's a outdated comparison as opposed to my lame one. This is part of the reason going QB-TE to start a draft isn't a square play like it was years ago. The top offenses devalued the RB position and it's trickled down. I can name on two hands RB's whom I don't care about the dept chart, coaches decisions, or offense. Ridley and Vereen don't fit that category.
BJGE was part of the Patriots RBBC. The Pats don't have to have the exact same roles as the Saints. They've got their own version that seems to work well for them. Trust me, I'm not basis my interest in Ridley on a preseason game.And the BJGE situation is not outdated. It occurred each of the last two years. The Saints comparison is as bad as some of the hypothetical trade talks thrown around here. It is meaningless conjecture. Plus, you really think Demps is going to have 80 touches this year? I don't. There will likely be 400 carries to go around. I expect Ridley to get at least 200 of them plus goal line TDs. That's all that matters. If his ADP was 32 then we'd need to know a lot more, but it's not. He is going RB29 and Vereen RB52.I am pretty sure that if you grab Ridley and Vereen you'll have yourself a solid RB2 all year long. Gives you two talented guys with underperformance/injury insurance.

How is Demarco Murray going late 1st/early 2nd but Stevan Ridley going in the 7th-9th rounds? :loco:

Ridley has every chance to be this year's steal of the draft. A potential beast.

'FF Ninja said:
BJGE was part of the Patriots RBBC. The Pats don't have to have the exact same roles as the Saints. They've got their own version that seems to work well for them. Trust me, I'm not basis my interest in Ridley on a preseason game.And the BJGE situation is not outdated. It occurred each of the last two years. The Saints comparison is as bad as some of the hypothetical trade talks thrown around here. It is meaningless conjecture. Plus, you really think Demps is going to have 80 touches this year? I don't. There will likely be 400 carries to go around. I expect Ridley to get at least 200 of them plus goal line TDs. That's all that matters. If his ADP was 32 then we'd need to know a lot more, but it's not. He is going RB29 and Vereen RB52.I am pretty sure that if you grab Ridley and Vereen you'll have yourself a solid RB2 all year long. Gives you two talented guys with underperformance/injury insurance.
Exactly. As I said earlier, this has 2008-2009 BJGE carry splits written all over it. Last year they had to work in Ridley/Vereen because they knew BJGE was gone and I think that's where the RBBC misconception comes from.That's compounded by the fact that Vereen was a second rounder and Ridley a third, but anyone who follows the Pats knows that the round you were picked in means nothing to BB. Hell, the guy cuts seconds and thirds after two or three seasons of underperformance, so he certainly isn't going to force Vereen into the lineup due to draft status if Ridley is performing.

I'm looking to move Ridley, as I need WR help. Any idea of his value? I drafted him in the 7th round, and I know his ADP, but I think he's undervalued by most people. I was considering waiting a game or two, in an effort to increase his value, but the opposite could easily occur if he struggles out of the gate. Right now, I think I can trade him for Decker, which doesn't seem too shabby.

I'm looking to move Ridley, as I need WR help. Any idea of his value? I drafted him in the 7th round, and I know his ADP, but I think he's undervalued by most people. I was considering waiting a game or two, in an effort to increase his value, but the opposite could easily occur if he struggles out of the gate. Right now, I think I can trade him for Decker, which doesn't seem too shabby.
Ehh, a bit ACF, but to make it a little more universal, I wouldn't advocate moving a guy like Ridley -- or any player you personally feel is undervalued -- before the season. Wait until the game starts and your expectations are (hopefully) validated and then move them for much better value.

Ridley looked really good against tampa. Then again, so does everyone. Last year, opponents combined for 2497 rushing yards and 26 tds on 498 attempts. By comparison, houston had 546 rush attempts for 2448 yards and 18 tds. So if you're wondering why ridley looked better than arian foster, it could just be because everyone who played tampa looked better than arian foster on average.

Stevan Ridley - RB - Patriots

After watching preseason tape, NFL Films analyst Greg Cosell believes Stevan Ridley has decisively won the Patriots backfield competition over Shane Vereen.

"I think Ridley has the physical attributes to be a volume sustainer," said Cosell. "He's a physical guy, excellent short area burst, speed through the hole, even speed to the perimeter on outside zone." Cosell points out that the Pats knew Ridley was a more talented runner than BenJarvus Green-Ellis last year, but blitz pickup and ball security held him back. Cosell believes Shane Vereen is a back who only performs well in space. "I will be surprised if Vereen makes it [as a major contributor]," said Cosell. "But that's just me."

Related: Shane Vereen

Source: Fantasy Guru Podcast

Sep 2 - 12:29 AM

:popcorn:

Ridley looked really good against tampa.
That's when I started targeting him...got him in the 6th of an FPC draft yesterday.I really think Ridley is flying under the radar a bit. More talented than BJGE and will have a similar role.

Ridley looked really good against tampa.
That's when I started targeting him...got him in the 6th of an FPC draft yesterday.I really think Ridley is flying under the radar a bit. More talented than BJGE and will have a similar role.
I think that's when everyone who saw the game targeted him. I just think we should temper expectations a bit. The good news was that ridley played like a feature back and excelled at running and receiving. The bad news is that he didn't get that workload until vereen left with an early injury and he looked good against a tampa which literally made the average back they faced look worse than arian foster and ben tate combined. So before we annoint him the next big thing, its worth looking at how he came about his production.

This guy's going to be a STUD. I'm revising my projections to 1400 total yards and 12 TD.
When's the last time a Patriot's back put up #s anywhere near that? You'd better temper your epectations. Ridley isn't that dynamic of a back.
I don't think it's that crazy an outcome IF Ridley does well out of the gate and can hold on to the ball. Vereen is already hurt (with a foot injury . . . thus the Hilliard signing), the Pats barely used Woodhead at all last year, and Demps went on IR.Pulling numbers out of a hat . . . 250 carries * 4.5 ypc = 1125 yds. I don't see why Ridley wouldn't be able to get what BJGE got at the goal line (call it 10 TD). The mystery factor will be how many passes will Ridley ever see. I'll make up a number and call it 20 receptions for 160 yards and a score. That comes up to Nearly 1300 yards and 11 TD. That might be a little on the high side across the board, but I don't think that would be unreasonable.Historically, the Pats RBs as a whole have put up excellent numbers the past 6-8 years. It looks like there are fewer guys in the mix this year, and if Ridley emerges as the guy with a much bigger piece of the pie, he will surprise. IMO, Ridley is way undervalued heading into the season.

I went and looked up how the Pats RBs have scored in the BB/Brady era. Going backwards (most recent to oldest):

The main issue has been that there were several guys in the mix. Look at it this way. If Ridley were to get 2/3 of the fantasy production from last year (one of the lowest RB production years over the past decade), that would amount to 186 fantasy points. But that's why they play the games . . .

Patriots signed RB Lex Hilliard and waived C Matt Tennant.Worth a bump?
Hilliard has been primarily a special teamer throughout his three-year career with the Dolphins. His addition could be a sign that Shane Vereen (foot) is in danger of missing the season opener.Related: Matt TennantSource: Greg Bedard on TwitterSep 4 - 5:30 PM

I got Ridley down for 10-11 points this week. Vereen for about 5-6 if he plays and Woodhead collecting the garbage.

Anyone else?

Users who are viewing this thread