What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Shane Vereen vs. Stevan Ridley (5 Viewers)

Which RB is the one to own?

• Shane Vereen

Votes: 250 47.2%
  • Stevan Ridley

Votes: 250 47.2%
  • Niether, BJGE will be back for the foreseeable future

Votes: 31 5.8%

• Total voters
I'm looking to move Ridley, as I need WR help. Any idea of his value? I drafted him in the 7th round, and I know his ADP, but I think he's undervalued by most people. I was considering waiting a game or two, in an effort to increase his value, but the opposite could easily occur if he struggles out of the gate. Right now, I think I can trade him for Decker, which doesn't seem too shabby.
The problem is, many still do not believe in him, so his value is still not that high, but he has the potential to be really, really good this year thanks to being the starting RB for what is likely to be one of the top two or three scoring offenses. Hang on to him, and if he has a good start, you can trade him then and possibly get more for him.

I am low on Vereen and high on Ridley. But if he was dropped in any of my dynasty leagues I'd be running to get him off the WW. that's crazy. who did they pick up for him?

'BigTex said:
Vereen released today in my Dynasty league.......... :mellow:
yea I am depressed for wasting the 13th pick on him a few weeks back....that said I am at least holding for a couple months

Last edited by a moderator:
Stevan Ridley - RB - Patriots

After watching preseason tape, NFL Films analyst Greg Cosell believes Stevan Ridley has decisively won the Patriots backfield competition over Shane Vereen."I think Ridley has the physical attributes to be a volume sustainer," said Cosell. "He's a physical guy, excellent short area burst, speed through the hole, even speed to the perimeter on outside zone." Cosell points out that the Pats knew Ridley was a more talented runner than BenJarvus Green-Ellis last year, but blitz pickup and ball security held him back. Cosell believes Shane Vereen is a back who only performs well in space. "I will be surprised if Vereen makes it [as a major contributor]," said Cosell. "But that's just me."

Related: Shane Vereen

Source: Fantasy Guru Podcast

Sep 2 - 12:29 AM

:popcorn:
Cosell is late to the party. I said that back in post#204.This situaiton has played out about as clear and straight forward as a Patriots situation can. Its been pretty clear, I think, in what they are going for. I'm not seeing Bolden's name being mentioned here much and i believe that is a mistake. IF Ridley were to get injured or start having fumbling issues, I think Bolden leaps into that role Ridley is in now, moving the ball between the tackles.

these guys all have very distinctive roles, with each guy able to fill out a role of one other. IMO, the idea is to put combinations of any two on the field to give themselves options on certain plays.

Ridley & Bolden-The heavy lifter/ pass protector

Vareen & Woodhead-The outside guy / pass catcher

When are we going to learn not to crown RB's after they play the Bucs? They make everyone look like Arian Foster. After Vereen's injury I consider him and Ridley equals with Vereen having the edge in ppr. Should be a fun one to watch but don't overreact to a game vs TB in the preseason.

When are we going to learn not to crown RB's after they play the Bucs? They make everyone look like Arian Foster. After Vereen's injury I consider him and Ridley equals with Vereen having the edge in ppr. Should be a fun one to watch but don't overreact to a game vs TB in the preseason.
Vereen hasn't performed since he's been drafted mainly because he can't stay healthy enough to compete so has not just one game we are talking here. At this point in time there's no question that Ridley has more deserving right now.

It will be interersting to see what happens moving forward if Ridley has a line like either of the following . . .

18 carries, 3 receptions, 125 yards from scrimmage, and a TD

-- OR --

18 carries, 42 yards, 0 receptions, 0 TD, and a fumble

hernandez is out and that means more welker and less blockers. just as they replaced welkers short passing game with ridleys running, i think the reverse will happen now. welker will be back to his old self with hernandez out and will take touches away from ridley. also, vereen is coming back soon.

i'd sell ridley now. maybe for a doug martin if possible. i think his value will drop significantly over the next few weeks due to a lack of touches.

hernandez is out and that means more welker and less blockers. just as they replaced welkers short passing game with ridleys running, i think the reverse will happen now. welker will be back to his old self with hernandez out and will take touches away from ridley. also, vereen is coming back soon.i'd sell ridley now. maybe for a doug martin if possible. i think his value will drop significantly over the next few weeks due to a lack of touches.
I don't see this. Based on the way the Pats have structured their offense thus far, it appears to me that Ridley is a near-lock for 20 touches a week. With his ability and situation, that makes him a rock-solid RB2 with low-end RB1 potential.

Does anyone remember the game lat year or the year before when K. Faulk first returned from injury and he got a ton of touches even though the Law Firm was performing fine? I could cite other examples, but this example alone is enough to illustrate how unpredictable the situation could be once Vereen is healthy.

why is this thread constantly being brought back up?? The "battle". Ridley has won. Even a blind man can see that.

It will be interersting to see what happens moving forward if Ridley has a line like either of the following . . .....-- OR --18 carries, 42 yards, 0 receptions, 0 TD, and a fumble
Hmmm. Week 3 brings this to mind. More of this and a healthy Vereen in the future could make things interesting.

He doesn't have the speed to beat defenses like Bal or to be the main guy. He's good in spots like BJGE, just better. Key moments in the game they went to Woodhead and even Boldin. Anybody holding Ridley is at risk of a full blown 3-way RBBC when Vereen gets back. Been trying to say this since Vereen was injured. This could be a huge tell because this was a pretty close and big game.

Hoodie - 1

Skeletor - 0

Billy boy blinked first, Shanny is feeding the rook.

ETR on Vereen? This could get juicy.

'(o)(o) said:
It will be interersting to see what happens moving forward if Ridley has a line like either of the following . . .....-- OR --18 carries, 42 yards, 0 receptions, 0 TD, and a fumble
Hmmm. Week 3 brings this to mind. More of this and a healthy Vereen in the future could make things interesting.
good post but Bal is a tough D. I still wish I had Ridley rostered - he's going to be plenty good this year.

He doesn't have the speed to beat defenses like Bal or to be the main guy. He's good in spots like BJGE, just better. Key moments in the game they went to Woodhead and even Boldin. Anybody holding Ridley is at risk of a full blown 3-way RBBC when Vereen gets back. Been trying to say this since Vereen was injured. This could be a huge tell because this was a pretty close and big game.
I'm starting to believe that you might actually be Shane Vereen's brother.

'Itchy Amos said:
Pointing out that he gave up goal line carries to Danny Woodhead and Boldin cause you to use this lame joke.

'Itchy Amos said:
Pointing out that he gave up goal line carries to Danny Woodhead and Boldin cause you to use this lame joke.
No, it was the bolded - you say it like its a fact....He has plenty of speed and burst to be the main guy, IMO.

People over-reacting to usage in Balto game. Yes, Ridley is at risk of potential game-plan-specific turds like Sunday if staff thinks Woodhead gives them better chance in spread, but if Woodhead's results continue to look like Sunday night I don't think that will continue for long.

The Bolden red zone carry I chalk up to them just having Bolden in for an early series. They did this in each of the previous games, just stinks for Ridley owners it was a drive featuring a rushing TD.

End of day, I think Ridley is team's most talent back and that will usually rise to the top. Like many, I'm playing him as a flex so these types of games aren't end of world. I expect him to be back on track vs. Buffalo.

People over-reacting to usage in Balto game. Yes, Ridley is at risk of potential game-plan-specific turds like Sunday if staff thinks Woodhead gives them better chance in spread, but if Woodhead's results continue to look like Sunday night I don't think that will continue for long.

The Bolden red zone carry I chalk up to them just having Bolden in for an early series. They did this in each of the previous games, just stinks for Ridley owners it was a drive featuring a rushing TD.

End of day, I think Ridley is team's most talent back and that will usually rise to the top. Like many, I'm playing him as a flex so these types of games aren't end of world. I expect him to be back on track vs. Buffalo.
Agree with the bolded. Gronk only had 2 (3-?) catches because of McDaniels' "genius" game plan. McDumbass wasn't utilizing Welker either, until Hernandez got hurt. Common sense says you play your best guys, and make the other team shut them down. McDork thinks he's such a genius that he can win no matter what, because he's so smart.

Sorry-I hate McDaniels, but I agree that people are over-reacting to 1 game. Ridley wasn't hurt, being punished, or demoted, he was not utilized as much because of the Pats game plan.

Belichick is making Shanahan look straight forward. This is the second week in a row has me screaming avoid this backfield. Running the score up on the Bills wouldn't actually get me excited over Boldin. He had a nice game in a blowout so I'd pick him up to trade him.

Ridley had great games vs TEN and BUF but not so much vs ARI and BAL. Small sample size but hes a matchup rb in a crowded backfield. Betting on him is cool but your also betting against Vereen, Woodhead and Boldin to not get touches. I obviously don't own him but I'd sell right now at a premium. Den-sea-NYJ won't be games where everybody can get 100 yards and a TD.

Vereen is dead to me. I'm sure he will be a hot pick up as soon as I drop him this week and then back to being a non-factor. His chances went out the window when he was hurt. I still think he's the only 3 down back on the team but that means nothing to smart teams in today's game. I wanted to drop him for Legarrette Blount this Sunday but didn't. I never was interested in Belichick or Shanahan RB's all the years I've played fantasy, idk why I bothered this year :wall:

Belichick is making Shanahan look straight forward. This is the second week in a row has me screaming avoid this backfield. Running the score up on the Bills wouldn't actually get me excited over Boldin. He had a nice game in a blowout so I'd pick him up to trade him. Ridley had great games vs TEN and BUF but not so much vs ARI and BAL. Small sample size but hes a matchup rb in a crowded backfield. Betting on him is cool but your also betting against Vereen, Woodhead and Boldin to not get touches. I obviously don't own him but I'd sell right now at a premium. Den-sea-NYJ won't be games where everybody can get 100 yards and a TD. Vereen is dead to me. I'm sure he will be a hot pick up as soon as I drop him this week and then back to being a non-factor. His chances went out the window when he was hurt. I still think he's the only 3 down back on the team but that means nothing to smart teams in today's game. I wanted to drop him for Legarrette Blount this Sunday but didn't. I never was interested in Belichick or Shanahan RB's all the years I've played fantasy, idk why I bothered this year :wall:
I believe Bolden was a part of the game much more than just a guy used in the clean-up portion of a blowout. He appeared, to me, to be a real part of what they were doing each series. I think Shane is the odd man out, for whatever reason. He's a man without a country.

Ridley had great games vs TEN and BUF but not so much vs ARI and BAL. Small sample size but hes a matchup rb in a crowded backfield. Betting on him is cool but your also betting against Vereen, Woodhead and Boldin to not get touches. I obviously don't own him but I'd sell right now at a premium. Den-sea-NYJ won't be games where everybody can get 100 yards and a TD.
Ridley had 95 total yards vs. Arizona. M Lynch had 97, L McCoy had 78, and Reggie Bush had 67. Do you consider those 3 guys matchup RB's too?Arizona and Baltimore are a couple of the stingiest D's against the run so far this season.

Belichick is making Shanahan look straight forward. This is the second week in a row has me screaming avoid this backfield. Running the score up on the Bills wouldn't actually get me excited over Boldin. He had a nice game in a blowout so I'd pick him up to trade him.
No offense but this is why it helps to watch games. Bolden was very involved. Buff was playing small all game daring pats to run which they did to great effect. Given they planned on running 30+ times the carries were split. Ridley remains a top rb2 despite the presence of bolden. Owners should be very encouraged by commitment pats showed to run in weeks 1 & 4. And hopefully the inefficiency of ground game vs balto when woodhead had most snaps causes they to re-evaluate this strategy going forward.

I think it is going to be a "gameplan" strategy the entire season. The Woodhead mention against Baltimore was more so due to his pass protection ability and the fact that Baltimore is typically tougher to run against.

McDaniels has already admitted to utilizing certain WRs/TEs during games (in terms of who gets touches) as a gameplan strategy. I don't see any reason why that wouldn't extend towards the running game either. Anybody who watched the Pats vs Bills clearly noticed that the use of Bolden was a large part of the strategy of continually pounding the rock on the outside and using Ridley/Bolden as a fresh back each series or snap even.

As it was, it seemed that NE was constantly rotating RBs in and out during the 2nd half regardless of who was the hot hand too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ridley had 95 total yards vs. Arizona. M Lynch had 97, L McCoy had 78, and Reggie Bush had 67. Do you consider those 3 guys matchup RB's too?Arizona and Baltimore are a couple of the stingiest D's against the run so far this season.
To an extent he was botteled running with the football vs Ari. Bush is hurt and McCoy didn't get the ball enough so thats not really a fair comparison. I'm on record saying he's not even Shane Vereen so I won't go there comparing him with a freak athlete like Reggie Bush who's on all of my fantasy teams. And none of those guys are giving up touches to other backs on their team at this rate. Im not promoting any other back on the team I'm just commenting on the Ridley parade and the potential for a decline. At this point id cash out for max value. He has value but so does Boldin, Woodhead and Vereen going forward.

No offense but this is why it helps to watch games. Bolden was very involved. Buff was playing small all game daring pats to run which they did to great effect. Given they planned on running 30+ times the carries were split. Ridley remains a top rb2 despite the presence of bolden. Owners should be very encouraged by commitment pats showed to run in weeks 1 & 4. And hopefully the inefficiency of ground game vs balto when woodhead had most snaps causes they to re-evaluate this strategy going forward.
Bills-pats were the only 1pm game I watched along w redzone. Boldin had a nice game in a blowout. The only reason the bills were in it for sometime was field position, it should have been worse. I give him props but I'm not running to get him after they executed a gameplan perfectly vs a horrible run defence. If I did pick him up it would be to sell him to Ridley's owner or something. You're probably right about Ridley but I can't call myself building a championship team counting on him to remain my RB2 all year with this much roster/coaching pressure.

It's a good bump, I really have no idea what's going to happen now. Vereen looked really fast last week and had some nice plays, but he wasn't featured much - wondering if he'll get more looks as he seemed to look more dynamic than Woodhead, but who knows.

'ShaHBucks said:
I think NE is moving towards Ridley & Vereen as opposed to Ridley vs. Vereen. Vereen finally appears to be healthy and he's looked pretty great so far. I read somewhere that he's moved ahead of Bolden on the depth chart. I think he also has a real shot of displacing Woodhead as the primary 3rd down back/2 minute drill guy. I doubt that anyone is going to replace Ridley as the primary 1st & 2nd down back. IMO, he's done well with that role.

'ShaHBucks said:
I think NE is moving towards Ridley & Vereen as opposed to Ridley vs. Vereen. Vereen finally appears to be healthy and he's looked pretty great so far. I read somewhere that he's moved ahead of Bolden on the depth chart. I think he also has a real shot of displacing Woodhead as the primary 3rd down back/2 minute drill guy. I doubt that anyone is going to replace Ridley as the primary 1st & 2nd down back. IMO, he's done well with that role.
I'm thinking the same as well. Woodhead's in the last year of his contract, Vereen is their 2nd round pick who's just now getting healthy. Makes sense that Vereen would begin to usurp Woodhead's role on the team.

Vereen needs wrist surgery. Out for at least a few weeks. Don't screw up your second chance Ridley !

I drafted Vereen and I'm getting tired of him being injured all the time (it seems). So pick between a fumbler and an injury prone guy.

Users who are viewing this thread