What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jordy Nelson - No Love? (1 Viewer)

He's the #3 WR on his team
I'd say he's more like the #2b WR on his team. He's got 46 targets. Jennings is at 71, Finley is at 48. James Jones and Donald Driver are at 27 & 28.By the way, 46 targets is 55th among all WRs. But he catches 74% of passes thrown to him, which is 4th in the NFL.

Jordy is the #8 scoring WR in my league. I'm always struggling trying to decide to put him in my lineup or not. He's the #3 WR on his team and I have #1 WR's that haven't scored half of what he has.
I don't see why this is such a hard decision.Don't get hung up on depth charts.

No Love?

Jordy thinks it might be because he is white

"Other Packers receivers joke that Nelson is the beneficiary of being the only white receiver on the team, suggesting opposing defensive backs don't think of Nelson as a big a threat.

Nelson tells the Green Bay Press Gazette that he's used this racial bias to his advantage. "Honestly, I think it is (a factor)," Nelson told the Press Gazette. "As receivers, we've talked about it. I know (cornerbacks coach) Joe Whitt tells me all the time, when all the rookies come in, he gives them the heads up, 'Don't let him fool ya.' That's fine with me."

Packers teammate Greg Jennings, who is black, believes Nelson isn't like other white pass catchers who've played in the NFL. "It's easy for someone to say, 'Oh yeah, he’s like one of those other white receivers,'" Jennings said. "He's not. I'm sorry. He's not. He knows how I feel about it. Maybe I'm a little biased because he is a teammate, but from watching him day one to right now, totally different player."

We have a team in our league that is so deep at WR that he hasn't started Nelson once this year & he's the #7 WR in our league. Can't even believe it's possible..

We have a team in our league that is so deep at WR that he hasn't started Nelson once this year & he's the #7 WR in our league. Can't even believe it's possible..
This is almost my team, and our league is PPR and we can (and I almost always do) start 4 WRs.CalvinSteve SmithMarshallNelsonBoldinNelson started week 5 (Marshall/Boldin bye), week 6 (Marshall on Revis Island), and week 9 (Calvin/Smith bye). This will be the first week I've started him over a non-Revis WR. Up until last week, Boldin and Nelson were a toss up.

This is almost my team, and our league is PPR and we can (and I almost always do) start 4 WRs.CalvinSteve SmithMarshallNelsonBoldinNelson started week 5 (Marshall/Boldin bye), week 6 (Marshall on Revis Island), and week 9 (Calvin/Smith bye). This will be the first week I've started him over a non-Revis WR. Up until last week, Boldin and Nelson were a toss up.
we can start 3 WR/TE's & he has Wallace,Welker,Steve Smith & Gates..

Me too.My 3 WRs ahead of him are Nicks, Wallace, and RoddyRoddy will be going to my bench going forward

Me too.My 3 WRs ahead of him are Nicks, Wallace, and RoddyRoddy will be going to my bench going forward
Oh Ok, just curious. I have Megatron, Nicks, Lloyd, Britt, Brown (Pit), Moore (Oak), Williams (TEN), Crabby and Thomas (Jax).

Last edited by a moderator:
I was in this situation in my FBG staff league as well for most of the year. I started the year playing Welker-Wallace-Britt. When Britt went down I played Cruz. With byes I started playing Nelson as a fill in, but now I don't see how I can sit him.BTW - Having a glut of WR is so rare a happening for one of my teams that it deserves mention. I usually end up with a hodge podge of receivers and frequently end up with all the wrong guys.

Shocked to see so many people have been sitting Nelson. I guess I'm in the minority. I actively targeted him in a trade as a flex play to go with Nicks/Austin as my WR1/2s, but with injuries he's pretty much been my WR1 and a major reason I'm doing so well.

Had I drafted him I'm sure like many of you I would have viewed him differently, but having given up some good assets in an early season trade (Julio Jones & Flacco) I suppose I was in the position of having to start him given the sunk cost. Usually that ends up biting you but not with Jordy. :)

The great thing is despite his fantastic 2011 season, I'm sure he'll once again be undervalued on draft day.

Sometimes the truth is black and white. Everyone should be starting Nelson with confidence as a WR1 going forward.

FBG has him ranked below Greg Little this week.... just seems wrong.

'jonboltz said:
Amazing what this guy is doing with an only marginal amount of targets.
yes, though he led the team targets today. From what I could see his snap % was up too. Good news.

I think this guy has shocked me more than any other player this year. I just didnt think any GB receiver was worth rostering besides Jennings or Finley because they would be too hit or miss to even start as flex plays, but I was way wrong with Nelson.

I will happily target him in the 4th or later next year.

another fantastic peformance from this stud :thumbup:

To think I got him in the 17th round....

This guy is unreal. At what point does a defensive coordinator have to give him his due respect and start game planning against him? Finley's a nice player and all, but if I'm going against the Packers now, I focus solely on stopping Jennings and Nelson and make Finley/Driver/Cobb beat me over the middle. It's time to take notice - this guy is a stud.

It will be very interesting to see how Jordy gets valued next year. His points per target is just incredible. He will likely come back to earth next year, but still be will be a top 15WR in 2012. As long as Rodgers is throwing for 300+ a game, there is no reason why Nelson can't get 20% of that pie going forward.

For this year, you ride him.....period. If you have three good WR options and Nelson, trade on the others ASAP. I suspect Nelson will be a on a lot of championship teams this year, and those teams will likely have Nelson as their #3WR at the start of the year.

1271 yds on 68 receptions. I dont think his ypc or tds per game are sustainable.

He can be a consistant 1k/8-10 td receiver in the gb offence though, so mid 3rd for him makes sense and I'd consider him there.

1271 yds on 68 receptions. I dont think his ypc or tds per game are sustainable.He can be a consistant 1k/8-10 td receiver in the gb offence though, so mid 3rd for him makes sense and I'd consider him there.
Plus he had 387yds and 6TDs when Jennings was out.No doubt he has a high floor in that offense, but I have a feeling he'll be overvalued next year.

Bob.....I like how you pat yourself on the back after 3 games of a 16 game season.

Your cracking me up.

Let's talk in December.

The writing is on the wall here... Jordy Nelson is a bye week fill in, nothing more. Defenses aren't going to allow Jordy to get over the top on them this year. Shut down the big play and you shut down the Packers. The blueprint is out. Jordy is just not very effective working underneath routes.

The writing is on the wall here... Jordy Nelson is a bye week fill in, nothing more. Defenses aren't going to allow Jordy to get over the top on them this year. Shut down the big play and you shut down the Packers. The blueprint is out. Jordy is just not very effective working underneath routes.
While you may be right......I see a team that is not protecting their QB, and completly out of sync.I will say it is too early to write off Jordy, Jennings and Rodgers at this point. But so far...they are not looking good. I expect them to bust out and get back on track in their next game.

yep & Jennings, Finley, & Rodgers all suck too. Packers should trade them all and start from scratch

I think whats really happening is teams are getting pressure on Rodgers and that doesn't give them enough time for the downfield plays to develop. The bears had 5 sacks, the seahawks 8. I do agree that teams are keying in on Nelson and the deep ball more this year, but I think Rodgers getting pounded is far more importantEven so, they won't play Seattle and San Fransico every week, not every team can bring that kind of pressure. He still had 60 and 80 yards in the first two games. Lets relax a little bit.

The entire Green Bay offense is poison this year. I am seriously thinking about cutting Aaron Rodgers outright.
Banking on guys like you in my leagues. I'm loading up on Packers starting this week. The next 10 weeks Rodgers is going to light it up. Take a gander at the defenses they play now. Besides Houston and Arizona, that's a whole lotta suspect secondaries. :football:

Last edited by a moderator:
Even so, they won't play Seattle and San Fransico every week, not every team can bring that kind of pressure. He still had 60 and 80 yards in the first two games. Lets relax a little bit.
And, Lord, will that be obvious against the Saints :( If the Packers offense can't abuse the Saints defense, Cheeseheads should worry for sure. I'm assuming 40+ points from a P.O.'ed Packers team.

Users who are viewing this thread