What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL 'The Walking Dead' TV Series Thread*** (3 Viewers)

The problem with the Governor is that there's no real reason to hate him...or even really dislike him; particularly from Andrea and Michonne's POV. He's making sense on pretty much everything he's saying and doing.
I think you forgot about two episodes ago when he opened fire on the military group and killed them all. And then lied to the group how they came across the equipment.From Michonne's POV she already questioned him on what took place as she found the bullet holes, etc. I think he has given plenty of reason to not trust him.

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem with the Governor is that there's no real reason to hate him...or even really dislike him; particularly from Andrea and Michonne's POV. He's making sense on pretty much everything he's saying and doing.
I think that's the point. He's not a cookie-cutter villain. He does make a lot of sense with many of the things we see so it's easy to see why the community is following him, perhaps blindly. But we've also seen the dark side so we know there's more at work than meets the eye. It's a great contrast in leadership with Rick. The Governor is all smooth and political and making tons of sense. Meanwhile, Rick's at his emotional abyss. Can't wait for the two of them to collide - which I would imagine will be in the mid-season finale. That would seem to be a natural cliff-hanger.

Some really good zombie kills last night. I'm partial to the axe coming straight down and splitting heads right down the middle.

'roadkill1292 said:
I am skeptical that the show would kill Carol off (1) after T's sacrifice and (2) without letting us see it. She might be still out there but why stay hidden after the immediate danger has passed?I can't decide whether the governor is interested in growing his community or enslaving it. I'd want to grow the place as large as I could but then I'm not a guy who's primarily interested in growing his own personal power. There are plenty of psychos who are, though. And what's his troubled scientist up to?
It's also about resource management. The more people you get the more food you need and you have more waste. Plus more challenges to staying as the leader.I get the feeling that Andrea reminds the Governor of his blonde wife and that's why he's attracted to her. I also have the feeling he'd sacrifice any of the living to protect his zombie daughter. Should make for some good stuff ahead.

I think that's the point. He's not a cookie-cutter villain. He does make a lot of sense with many of the things we see so it's easy to see why the community is following him, perhaps blindly. But we've also seen the dark side so we know there's more at work than meets the eye. It's a great contrast in leadership with Rick. The Governor is all smooth and political and making tons of sense. Meanwhile, Rick's at his emotional abyss. Can't wait for the two of them to collide - which I would imagine will be in the mid-season finale. That would seem to be a natural cliff-hanger.
That is a nice juxtaposition....but at the same time I don't feel that Rick (or his crew) have any superior moral high ground in comparison to The Gov. I hate to compare it to the comic (as in that, you knew right off the bat that he was bad)...but you don't even get the sense that if one shows up at the town....you wouldn't be welcomed with more or less open arms.

I think it's intentional too. More realistic to have villains and heroes that are muddled grays than ones in white hats and black hats.

I think you forgot about two episodes ago when he opened fire on the military group and killed them all. And then lied to the group how they came across the equipment.From Michonne's POV she already questioned him on what took place as she found the bullet holes, etc. I think he has given plenty of reason to not trust him.
Why that needs to be explained a bit more...I don't think the he wasn't acting in the best interests of his people. I'm sure a fairly large group of armed men (military or not) in that scenario would give most leaders pause. I'm not sure that Rick let's them into the prison.

I think it's intentional too. More realistic to have villains and heroes that are muddled grays than ones in white hats and black hats.
To be fair to the comic reader though....I think that's what made him that great of a villain.

I've never read the comics so I can't compare but I like the fact the Governor is layered and isn't an over-the-top obvious villain. Makes him far more interesting and potentially more deadly.

Why that needs to be explained a bit more...I don't think the he wasn't acting in the best interests of his people. I'm sure a fairly large group of armed men (military or not) in that scenario would give most leaders pause. I'm not sure that Rick let's them into the prison.
I see that point of view for sure. I think the big difference is Governor keeps most of the information from the community and when people find the truth it leads them to question his motives. Rick seems to be more open with his people and often asks for their vote/thoughts.

To be fair to the comic reader though....I think that's what made him that great of a villain.
But consider the mediums. Comics are only visual and limited visually as well. It doesn't allow for subtlety due to the limitations of ink and paper and you have to compact events to a few panels.It might be something the comic readers struggle with throughout the show, the whole "that's not what it was like in the books."

'cstu said:
'snogger said:
'cstu said:
'snogger said:
'roadkill1292 said:
I am skeptical that the show would kill Carol off (1) after T's sacrifice and (2) without letting us see it. She might be still out there but why stay hidden after the immediate danger has passed?

I can't decide whether the governor is interested in growing his community or enslaving it. I'd want to grow the place as large as I could but then I'm not a guy who's primarily interested in growing his own personal power. There are plenty of psychos who are, though. And what's his troubled scientist up to?
:goodposting: pretty sure she is still out there.. be it alive or, ala Sophia, a zombie ... Very :confused: why they glossed over her for the entire episode, short of the grave.
Very weird episode...on Talking Dead they mentioned that Greg Nicotero directed it and I remember him directing a bad episode from last season. I don't know how much the writing depends on who the director is but the writing was terrible this week. Digging a grave and filling it back up without a body and without a word from anyone onscreen is ridiculous.
:goodposting: I was trying to figure out the stabbing of the Zombie belly.. Figured that HAD to be the room where Lori was shot, and finding the bullet had me 75% convinced that the zombie ate Lori.. But to not have any bones at all lying around was just a :whoosh: to me.. didn't know the zombies were now eating the bones also.. :unsure:
I've mostly stopped nitpicking the show but there were things in this episode that were highly questionable. It felt like they crammed way too much into it and glossed over too much. Had they spent less time with the Governor and spread Michonne leaving into the next episode they would have had more time to develop what Rick was going through and the reaction of the group to the deaths. I would have ended the scenes in Woodbury with Michonne being found after killing the caged zombies.
This seems about right.

I know he's supposed to be the bad guy, but so far the Governor is just another guy... More of a good guy if anything. I think they're making Rick the bad guy.

I know he's supposed to be the bad guy, but so far the Governor is just another guy... More of a good guy if anything. I think they're making Rick the bad guy.
You cant be a "good guy" anymore... unfortunately Shane figured this out before Rick, but was not able to get it through to him. Now, he's had to learn the hard way.

Well, except for that massacre thingie and that keeping-heads-in-jars thingie.
....and brushing the hair of his little zombie daughter.
In the same time frame Ricks group has lost how many people? A dozen? The Guvnor on the other has built a society where they have the luxury of making ice and throwing parties. During his speech he mention when everything went down he was holed up in a apartment with 9 other people. Rick had just as many if not more a bag full of guns from the police station another trained deputy with him and some other very useful people. Rick pissed that all away, because he was still living in the old world.If Rick was like the Guvnor he would have killed those prisoners like the guvnor killed the National Guards guys. Lori would still be alive so would T-dog and Hershel would still have his leg. It's easy to look at the murder of the military group as wrong, but in the grand scheme of things the Guvnor was protecting his people.

When Rick lost his wife he abandons his new baby and Carl and goes on a zombie killing rampage endangering himself and other. Then he kills a bloated zombie suicide style and stabs the stomach apart and gets a free pass? The Guvnor loses his daughter and scribbles in a note book. OMG the horror. He also can't bring himself to kill his daughter. I can understand that. The heads thing is weird but than again Machonee (sp) walks around with chained up zombies. The WWE gladiator fight was silly but it's entertainment and nobody is in danger

Simply put the Guvnors actions while not always justified at least protect people.

In the same time frame Ricks group has lost how many people? A dozen? The Guvnor on the other has built a society where they have the luxury of making ice and throwing parties. During his speech he mention when everything went down he was holed up in a apartment with 9 other people. Rick had just as many if not more a bag full of guns from the police station another trained deputy with him and some other very useful people. Rick pissed that all away, because he was still living in the old world.

If Rick was like the Guvnor he would have killed those prisoners like the guvnor killed the National Guards guys. Lori would still be alive so would T-dog and Hershel would still have his leg. It's easy to look at the murder of the military group as wrong, but in the grand scheme of things the Guvnor was protecting his people.

When Rick lost his wife he abandons his new baby and Carl and goes on a zombie killing rampage endangering himself and other. Then he kills a bloated zombie suicide style and stabs the stomach apart and gets a free pass? The Guvnor loses his daughter and scribbles in a note book. OMG the horror. He also can't bring himself to kill his daughter. I can understand that. The heads thing is weird but than again Machonee (sp) walks around with chained up zombies. The WWE gladiator fight was silly but it's entertainment and nobody is in danger

Simply put the Guvnors actions while not always justified at least protect people.
I'm not buying the bolded. You could clearly see teeth in a few of the walkers' mouths, and in the past they've said many times that bites and scratches can infect. Do they expect us to believe that they also pulled all of the walkers fingernails out, or that they just forgot about that little important detail? Anyway it's way too risky for physical interaction with walkers like that, regardless if they have teeth or not.If these fights have been going on, it's completely unfathomable that someone would not have been scratched or bit by now during the fights.

Screenshots of 2 of the chained up walkers with teeth:

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/4376/20121112155703.jpg

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/5276/20121112155537.jpg

ETA: Yes I know that much of this show is impossible and/or unfathomable, but it's a pretty lame that they would let something as obvious as this slip by.

In the same time frame Ricks group has lost how many people? A dozen?
And how many people do you figure the governor has lost? How many do you figure he has killed.I'm pretty sure both numbers are well over a dozen.

When Michonne is snooping around the Governor's house we see a gun bag with "Sheriff" on it. Is this Rick's bag from Atlanta or did Rick and the group recover that bag at some point?

When Michonne is snooping around the Governor's house we see a gun bag with "Sheriff" on it. Is this Rick's bag from Atlanta or did Rick and the group recover that bag at some point?
Glenn grabbed that bag from near the tank. It was in Dale's camper and I think in the back of Shane's car at one time.

'Deranged Hermit said:
'pantherclub said:
could someone in spoilers I guess, explain the whole phone call thing? I was pretty wasted (again) last night and feel like I missed a ton of the episode. Lots of jumping around. So the governor keeps his little girl around and combs her hair?
In the comics, Rick keeps getting 'phone calls' from Lori. He'll just have conversations with her about his insecurities and fears and what-not. Once he hooks up with a new partner though, the calls end.So, basically, the calls are Rick's decent in to madness.
The fact that it's a rotary phone makes it pretty obvious.

It amazes me to read this thread and see people view the governor as basically a good guy. The show has already bludgeoned you over the head with the fact that he's bat-#### crazy. And now we're finally getting the curtain pulled back on what Woodbury is really like. But hey, they've got wine coolers so it's all good.

It amazes me to read this thread and see people view the governor as basically a good guy. The show has already bludgeoned you over the head with the fact that he's bat-#### crazy. And now we're finally getting the curtain pulled back on what Woodbury is really like. But hey, they've got wine coolers so it's all good.
And they're ice cold!

Andrea snagged it when they were fleeing the farm. She had it when the Mich found her in the woods.

Some really good zombie kills last night. I'm partial to the axe coming straight down and splitting heads right down the middle.
I liked Michonne's chopping the zombie in half from left shoulder to right hip.This episode had some bumps but this season's writing has been infinitely better than the last two.

I must've missed it, what have they shown to make us realize he's crazy?
[*]The zombie heads in fish tanks?

– No different than a hunter mounting deer heads on a wall...

[*]The zombie daughter?

– I felt bad for him there, that's rough. He obviously loves her and can't let go...

[*]Killing the soldiers?

– They could've been a HUGE threat to the town, or possibly a huge asset. It was a tough call, leaders have to make tough decisions...

[*]The arena style fights?

– No biggie as long as they were staged and the zombies were toothless (I don't buy the screenshots, he wasn't lying. That's why they showed Merle pulling teeth earlier)...

[*]The scribbles in the book when his daughter died?

– Please...

[*]The zombie daughter?

– I felt bad for him there, that's rough. He obviously loves her and can't let go...

[*]Killing the soldiers?

– They could've been a HUGE threat to the town, or possibly a huge asset. It was a tough call, leaders have to make tough decisions...

– No biggie as long as they were staged and the zombies were toothless (I don't buy the screenshots, he wasn't lying. That's why they showed Merle pulling teeth earlier)...

– Please...
Starting to think you might be a bit unbalanced too.

I think the Thunderdome/Zombie fights are the least insane thing we've seen the Governor do thus far. It's basically a new world sporting event. Not like this planet doesn't have a strong history of some barbaric "sports."

The Governor's definitely a rough character, but I think he provides the leadership that the group needs. They're obviously up against it, and need direction.

Because they haven't bludgeoned you over the head nor have shown what Woodbury is really like.

ETA: I don't feel that they've portrayed Woodbury as anything other than a fairly safe setting. If you're Andrea and Michonne...you see women and children there. They aren't treated badly. The town has embraced two strangers; and as the viewer, you don't get the sense at all that if Andrea and Michonne were to accept living there...that they would be accepted wholeheartedly. In fact, if you're a reader of the comics

the town actually comes across more like the one that Rick and Co. get to near the suburbs of D.C.; with it's abnormal sense of normalcy, the almost downplaying danger of The Walkers...and even the idea that the Leader is romantically interested in Andrea.

Granted, they've shown the Gov at times to be unstable...but aren't they doing the same with Rick?

In the same time frame Ricks group has lost how many people? A dozen? The Guvnor on the other has built a society where they have the luxury of making ice and throwing parties. During his speech he mention when everything went down he was holed up in a apartment with 9 other people. Rick had just as many if not more a bag full of guns from the police station another trained deputy with him and some other very useful people. Rick pissed that all away, because he was still living in the old world.

If Rick was like the Guvnor he would have killed those prisoners like the guvnor killed the National Guards guys. Lori would still be alive so would T-dog and Hershel would still have his leg. It's easy to look at the murder of the military group as wrong, but in the grand scheme of things the Guvnor was protecting his people.

I'm not buying the bolded. You could clearly see teeth in a few of the walkers' mouths, and in the past they've said many times that bites and scratches can infect. Do they expect us to believe that they also pulled all of the walkers fingernails out, or that they just forgot about that little important detail? Anyway it's way too risky for physical interaction with walkers like that, regardless if they have teeth or not.If these fights have been going on, it's completely unfathomable that someone would not have been scratched or bit by now during the fights.

ETA: Yes I know that much of this show is impossible and/or unfathomable, but it's a pretty lame that they would let something as obvious as this slip by.
Didn't they show them pulling teeth out?....or was that just one gold tooth that Merle was taking from a Walker?

Didn't they show them pulling teeth out?....or was that just one gold tooth that Merle was taking from a Walker?
It was just the gold tooth.

[*]The zombie daughter?

[*]Killing the soldiers?

– Please...
Starting to think you might be a bit unbalanced too.
:goodposting:

Speaking for those of us that have read the comics: JUST WAIT. The Governor hasn't even done anything really sick yet. This is nothing.

In the same time frame Ricks group has lost how many people? A dozen?
And how many people do you figure the governor has lost? How many do you figure he has killed.I'm pretty sure both numbers are well over a dozen.
I guess nobody can know for sure. What we do know is the Guvnor has saved a lot more lives than Rick and it's not even close.

Users who are viewing this thread