What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Texans at Lions (1 Viewer)

It's a stupid rule. Just because a coach ####s up by throwing a flag, doesn't mean the previous play shouldn't be reviewable anymore.

Announcers saying that Schwartz's challenge made it impossible for the Lions to benefit from a review because it was illegally thrown. They said this means the play could not be overturned or reviewed.

Incredible that throwing the flag on a play where the sideline can't initiate a review makes it impossible to review the play upstairs. Terrible rule.

This happened I think last week or the week before as well...give them a penatly but not sure how they don't reveiw it.

Horrible rule...

Worst ruling ever. Don't give a damn if Schwartz threw the flag....would have been reviewed anyway...penalize him if you want, but the TD should have come back.

I told you guys they threw the challenge flag so it can't be reviewed
Because a team says you should review you can`t review?? That really should have nothing to do with the original gaffe by the refs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats idiotic. What benefit to you gain from a review that was going to be reviewed anyway? That being said, how do you not know that every TD will be reviewed automatically? AND if you're the guy in charge of the flag how do you not know that throwing it illegally will cost you a review? Idiot.

I missed if Schawrtz challenged it or not. I assume he did because of the penalty. If you challenge a play that is automatically reviewed (TO or TD) then you get a 15 yard penalty AND the play cannot then be reviewed. It's a completely stupid double whammy. Should be either or.
:goodposting:I could see assessing 15 after the auto review but the penalty AND killing the auto review is overkill

DET O looks so much better w/o Titus Young. Love seeing Broyles thrive with this opportunity. Mike Thomas looking really good as well

Last edited by a moderator:
OK I got why, but my question is why is that a rule? You should be able to throw the flag anytime unless you are out of challenges. Like calling a TO when you have none. I can't understand the basis of the rule.

It was pretty damn silly that Schwartz threw the flag though. I mean pretty sure we all thought immediately that it was going to be reviewed automatically. Don't see how a coach doesn't think that immediately as well. Just stupid to throw the flag.

I missed if Schawrtz challenged it or not. I assume he did because of the penalty. If you challenge a play that is automatically reviewed (TO or TD) then you get a 15 yard penalty AND the play cannot then be reviewed. It's a completely stupid double whammy. Should be either or.
Obviously a stupid rule. Is there any possible reasoning behind it or some scenario they are trying to prevent?

Here's an idea.

If you're a coach and one of your players scores an important TD, but you're worried it might be overturned on review? Throw the challenge flag. A 15 yard penalty in exchange for making it a non-reviewable play is a great trade.

Oof. Worst. Rule. Ever.

Plenty of fail to go around. Bad rule to start with, the refs should have blown the whistle, and Schwartz should know the rules.

Obviously a stupid rule. Is there any possible reasoning behind it or some scenario they are trying to prevent?
That's the part I don't get - who cares if a challenge flag gets thrown.

Once a coach throws a challenge flag on an auto reviewed play (score, turnover) its penalty and play no longer reviewable. This scenario came up a few weeks ago. I fully expect a Goodell mideseason knee jerk rule change.
I have been thinking for literally minutes now. Why would you even have that rule in place? What possible purpose could it serve? Saving the refs three seconds to say "pick up the flag is auto review."Not only a horrible horrible result but perhaps the most ridiculous rule I have ever heard of.

What an AWFUL rule
I agree that he should be penalized the 15 yards. I don't agree that the play all of a sudden doesn't get reviewed automatically. The rule was put in place for a reason. Scoring plays are important every single one should be reviewed to confirm validity regardless of what happens on the field.

People were complaining about the replacement refs but the application of the rules is way over-regulated in the NFL. That should have been called down, then it should have been reviewed and then there should be no penalty for something like the coach throwing a challenge flag. What a mess. It's becoming the NBA which is unwatchable.

How dare the coach throw a flag asking for a review. That privilege belongs only to us in the booth. Just for that, we're going to screw him.

Users who are viewing this thread