What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best albums of 2013 (1 Viewer)

lyrically devoid of anything unrelated to drinking and doing drugs.
Pretty sure that's all I need to hear.
I bet you think I'm exaggerating. It's the most immature, brilliant #### I've ever heard.
They make Jeff the Brotherhood sound like James Joyce.
I don’t care if you think it’s cool,####ed up and I'm ditching schoolI don’t wanna go back to townWith my face to the ground and I’m upside down.I just wanna get really high,Smoke weed until I die,I don’t ever wanna get a job,If I ####ed up today, hey, nothing's wrong.Get pissed up by the hills,Cocaine and ####ty pills,Get head in a broken carWith the windows up and the lights turned off.There’s nothing wrong with living like this,All my friends are pieces of ####,Busted chin and a bloody noseAnd I'm covered in dirt from my head to my toes.
For some reason I read these lyrics to the melody of Hey Ho by The Lumineers.

'Good said:
'El Floppo said:
Two of those dudes in FIDLAR are the sons of the keyboardist (?) in TSOL.Nigel, this is TSOL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXQcCC6zBIc
whoa... haven't thought of that band in forever. TSOL, the DKs and the F-Ups were the names of choice to be markered onto denim jackets and checkerboard Vans back in my yoot.
I was never a big fan. I kind of fell out of love with the DK's, post-adolescence, but saw some recording videos of them recently and was blown away. They were a powerful band. Shame that they had a falling out and the rest of the band is playing with some other joker singing.
I met the future Mrs. Eephus via DH Peligro's roommate back in the day. Darren is a hilarious, big hearted guy who was like the stereotypical drummer from Central Casting. I reconnected w/ him via Facebook a couple of years ago. He's cleaned up and is making a living with his own band and the occasional DKs tour. It's too bad that Jello is such a #### because they were a tremendous live act when they were hitting on all cylinders.

'Good said:
'El Floppo said:
Two of those dudes in FIDLAR are the sons of the keyboardist (?) in TSOL.Nigel, this is TSOL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXQcCC6zBIc
whoa... haven't thought of that band in forever. TSOL, the DKs and the F-Ups were the names of choice to be markered onto denim jackets and checkerboard Vans back in my yoot.
I was never a big fan. I kind of fell out of love with the DK's, post-adolescence, but saw some recording videos of them recently and was blown away. They were a powerful band. Shame that they had a falling out and the rest of the band is playing with some other joker singing.
I met the future Mrs. Eephus via DH Peligro's roommate back in the day. Darren is a hilarious, big hearted guy who was like the stereotypical drummer from Central Casting. I reconnected w/ him via Facebook a couple of years ago. He's cleaned up and is making a living with his own band and the occasional DKs tour. It's too bad that Jello is such a #### because they were a tremendous live act when they were hitting on all cylinders.
It's funny, because I know someone who knows Jello pretty well, and of course his story is the complete opposite.It's too bad that they aren't on good terms. Too bad that they're not still playing together with the real lineup, who's to say?

'Good said:
'El Floppo said:
It's funny, because I know someone who knows Jello pretty well, and of course his story is the complete opposite.It's too bad that they aren't on good terms. Too bad that they're not still playing together with the real lineup, who's to say?
Sometimes irreconcilable differences are more irreconcilable than actual differences :shrug:

'Good said:
'El Floppo said:
Sometimes irreconcilable differences are more irreconcilable than actual differences :shrug:
are they all still alive?

'El Floppo said:
'Eephus said:
'Good said:
'Good said:
'El Floppo said:
are they all still alive?
Yes.In other news, The Mars Volta are toast.

I find it odd that Pitchfork liked one album so much and hated the other.
I totally agree. It's the same stuff. It's fun, catchy and completely vapid, just like Stuck on Nothing.
I think novelty has 70% to do with what kind of a grade they give an album. They're dumb.
Yeah. What do you think they give FIDLAR tomorrow? Foxygen got BNM today with an 8.4. I have a weird feeling they're going to spray it on FIDLAR too but I could be wrong.
Around an 8. They like Wavves, for some reason. TSOL is stupid, but you should check out The Queers. It's like this but good and with great melodies.
7.0.The Descendants too, who are mentioned in said review.

Yo La Tengo, Foxygen were really good. Que: The Joy Formidable, FIDLARLooking most forward to:Cloud NothingsThe Dismemberment Plan The Wrens The MenIceageArcade FireMGMT The National Queens of the Stone Age Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Stuff I like so far:FoxygenFIDLARYo La TengoLocal NativesCalifornia XFree EnergyBeach FossilsThe Traditional Fools (2008)Ty Segall and Mikal Cronin (2009)Didn't really get that Wooden Wand thing.

Villagers {Awayland}
This one's out in the UK already, not sure what's up with the US release. It's not on Spotify yet, at least, and that's pretty much the only way I listen to music these days. I've heard a couple of tracks ("The Waves", "Nothing Arrived", and "Passing a Message") and and I like them a lot. Reception seems lukewarm and mixed; Pitchfork gave it a 5.5. A lot of the criticism seems to center around the lyrics, which admittedly is secondary to the music for me personally. :shrug:

Ive listened to it about a half dozen times now, and Im pretty confident Ben Harper's new blues album with harmonica player Charlie Musselwhite is his best album in over 15 years. When I first started listening to him when I was 16, I wished at some point he'd release an album that was entirely blues or reggae as his music was rooted in those genres and sounded great, but I never thought that would actually happen, even moreso based on some of his more recent albums. I cant even decide on a favorite song as over half the album is contending for that. Didnt expect to hear my album of the year in January.

Riverside's "Shrine of New Generation Slaves" now on Spotify. :thumbup:
Somewhat disappointed in this one. I've only given it a full listen once through and only 1-2 songs interested me. I've liked all their past stuff, and even the Lunatic Soul spin-off had some redeeming tracks, but I'm not feeling this one.

I haven't listening to much music for awhile, but all the stuff that I've been hearing on the radio right now is great.

Top 10 link

Edit: these are probably all 2012 releases. :bag:

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone like Conor Oberst's hardcorish side project Desaparecidos? They had one album ten years ago that I liked a lot, and I just saw that they're touring again. I assume that means new album sometime relatively soon but I haven't seen anything about it.

gotta be a new modest mouse coming soon eh? It's been what? 5 or 6 years now?
It's being worked on from what I read in the last week or so. But it was also said a few times in that reading that Brock named his record label Glacial Pace for a reason...

'mad sweeney said:
'valence said:
gotta be a new modest mouse coming soon eh? It's been what? 5 or 6 years now?
It's being worked on from what I read in the last week or so. But it was also said a few times in that reading that Brock named his record label Glacial Pace for a reason...
yea they've always been relatively slow but this stretch has definitely been the longest.

New Thom Yorke Side Project - Atoms for Peace (includes Joey Waronker, Mauro Refosco, Flea(!), and Nigel Godrich. The album Amok due out 2/25

Only on the second track of the new My Bloody Valentine and HFS it's amazing.Need a lot more listens but feel pretty safe saying it's a 10/10 record.

Ive listened to it about a half dozen times now, and Im pretty confident Ben Harper's new blues album with harmonica player Charlie Musselwhite is his best album in over 15 years. When I first started listening to him when I was 16, I wished at some point he'd release an album that was entirely blues or reggae as his music was rooted in those genres and sounded great, but I never thought that would actually happen, even moreso based on some of his more recent albums. I cant even decide on a favorite song as over half the album is contending for that. Didnt expect to hear my album of the year in January.

:thumbup: Also a huge fan of this.

Here a few albums that I am digging right now that I haven't seen mentioned yet:

Rock:

Midnight Spin- Don't Let Me Sleep

Parquet Courts- Light Up Gold

The Growlers- Hung at Heart

Richard Thompson- Electric

On the more pop-indie-80s side:

Ex Cops- Hallucinations

Atlas Genius- When It Was Now

On an On- Give In

Here is the link to the Spotify playlist I have going for 2013.

Here a few albums that I am digging right now that I haven't seen mentioned yet: Rock: Midnight Spin- Don't Let Me SleepParquet Courts- Light Up GoldThe Growlers- Hung at HeartRichard Thompson- ElectricOn the more pop-indie-80s side: Ex Cops- Hallucinations Atlas Genius- When It Was NowOn an On- Give In
I thought Parquet Courts was from last year, but I looked it up and the release date was in January. That's a good album.

Here a few albums that I am digging right now that I haven't seen mentioned yet: Rock: Midnight Spin- Don't Let Me SleepParquet Courts- Light Up GoldThe Growlers- Hung at HeartRichard Thompson- ElectricOn the more pop-indie-80s side: Ex Cops- Hallucinations Atlas Genius- When It Was NowOn an On- Give In
I thought Parquet Courts was from last year, but I looked it up and the release date was in January. That's a good album.
Re-Released last month.

Stuff I like so far:FoxygenFIDLARYo La TengoLocal NativesCalifornia XFree EnergyBeach FossilsThe Traditional Fools (2008)Ty Segall and Mikal Cronin (2009)Parquet CourtsFrightened RabbitUnknown Mortal Orchestra
On tap for tomorrow: Happy Jawbone Family Band and Jacco Gardner.**You can't make this #### up.

I have yet to hear a 2013 album that has really grabbed me, but I've been pretty slow on my new music this year.Eagerly awaiting My Bloody Valentine though.

Users who are viewing this thread