What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best albums of 2013 (1 Viewer)

Oh snapTeh Jet is taxiing. Strap in, for rills.Black Rebel Motorcycle Club has a new one and their first single is a cover of "Let The Day Begin" by Robert L Been's father's band The Call, 1989, and some of us nerds will remember that damn song. Michael Been died in 2010 of a heart attack, on tour as a pseudo roadie/band member with BRMC in Europe. Love the BRMC, and it's a cool song, even better now.

Oh snapTeh Jet is taxiing. Strap in, for rills.Black Rebel Motorcycle Club has a new one and their first single is a cover of "Let The Day Begin" by Robert L Been's father's band The Call, 1989, and some of us nerds will remember that damn song. Michael Been died in 2010 of a heart attack, on tour as a pseudo roadie/band member with BRMC in Europe. Love the BRMC, and it's a cool song, even better now.

Used to love The Call. Didn't realize Been had died. Bummer

Loved the Call back in the day. And I love some BRMC. The debut and Howl are fantastic albums. The others are hit and miss for me. Hope the new album is better. This single sounds promising--not as good as the original, though.

'The Dreaded Marco said:

Agree. They're good live, too. Still consider the BRMC/Spiritualized shows I saw in 2002 up there on my favorites list.

I met RL Been briefly at a show up in Towson. That's one quiet mofo. He was in Sound City and you can tell how quiet and awkward he is.

The other guy was cool but tbh I was drunk and I don't know which one it was.

That was right before Howl came out and I'm pretty sure all they did was play that record in its entirety. I wasn't too cool with that but I kept it to myself somehow.

Last edited by a moderator:

The first time I saw them they opened for Guided By Voices. It was just before their debut was released and I'd never heard of them. They basically played that album start to finish and it was awesome. And LOUD.

The Mavericks' "In Time" comes out this Tuesday. I got the UK version which came out in January. If you don't want to get the whole album, I recommend these songs:Back In Your Arms AgainLiesCome Unto MeAs Long As There's Loving TonightDance In The MoonlightThose are all more upbeat songs. I love their old slow stuff like I Should Have Been True and Missing You, but just can't get into the ballads on this record except for Call Me When You Get To Heaven. The guys will also be on Leno next Friday, March 1. Not sure what they will play, but I would guess Come Unto Me since that's what they played on the Americana awards and the song was also featured on "Nashville."

Looking forward to new Youth Lagoon album next week. His last album Year of Hibernation is a grower.

Looking forward to new Youth Lagoon album next week. His last album Year of Hibernation is a grower.
The National just announced their release date yesterday (May). I've never heard of Youth Lagoon, but they're opening for them at the Barclays Center. While I definitely don't want to see them become an arena band, I am a little curious about how it would come off.

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds -- Push the Sky Away

I may wrap up the AOTY lock in February. So, so good. Listen to it on good headphones.

The National just announced their release date yesterday (May). I've never heard of Youth Lagoon, but they're opening for them at the Barclays Center. While I definitely don't want to see them become an arena band, I am a little curious about how it would come off.
What? YOU'VE never heard of Youth Lagoon? I don't believe it ;) The new MBV album is way out in front for me this year so far.

Debut album from Hollis Brown streaming now on Paste. RIYL Delta Spirit and Deer Tick.
Listened to this a couple times yesterday and once today, really digging it. I dont think they really sound much like Delta Spirit or Deer Tick (although the link says theyve opened for DT and Lucero) outside of all of them being based in a sort of rootsy americana sound. I think Hollis Brown's range is more diverse, so much so I havent really been able to come up with a good comparison for another band. The closest thing I would say is CCR, and especially Fogerty, but other times I hear Van Morrison, then other times the vocals sound more like old school r&b/soul.Either way like this a lot :thumbup:

What? YOU'VE never heard of Youth Lagoon? I don't believe it ;) The new MBV album is way out in front for me this year so far.
Dude, the flavor of the month Pitchfork bands might as well be alphabet soup as far as I know. Are the Black Broken Social Horse Bells still happening?Yeah the MBV record kills, especially the last four tracks. The Bowie record is apparently streaming now, but I won't have to chance to listen until later in the weekend. I'm looking forward to that, as the first two songs released were great.

Debut album from Hollis Brown streaming now on Paste. RIYL Delta Spirit and Deer Tick.
Listened to this a couple times yesterday and once today, really digging it. I dont think they really sound much like Delta Spirit or Deer Tick (although the link says theyve opened for DT and Lucero) outside of all of them being based in a sort of rootsy americana sound. I think Hollis Brown's range is more diverse, so much so I havent really been able to come up with a good comparison for another band. The closest thing I would say is CCR, and especially Fogerty, but other times I hear Van Morrison, then other times the vocals sound more like old school r&b/soul.Either way like this a lot :thumbup:
Cool. In some songs I think the lead singer sounds exactly like Matt Vasquez (Delta Spirit). I agree there's a bit of everything though... CSNY, blues rock, Dylan (kind of a given considering their name), etc. I imagine these guys put on a good show.They also put out an EP last year that is a free download on bandcamp. All four songs are on the album, but if you can't wait...

Cool. In some songs I think the lead singer sounds exactly like Matt Vasquez (Delta Spirit). I agree there's a bit of everything though... CSNY, blues rock, Dylan (kind of a given considering their name), etc. I imagine these guys put on a good show.
Yeah, I thought the same thing on a few songs.

Phosphorescent's new album thats due in a couple weeks is now streaming here.

Only gave it 1 listen so far, but I like it. Hard to describe, but there's definitely more going on sound-wise (or should I say production wise) compared to previous albums, yet still sounds undeniably like Phosphorescent. Id recommend the previous album, Here's To Taking It Easy, for those unfamiliar with the band as a first listen though.

Tell me more. They're in town tomorrow night.
in the newfangled SoCal surf rock vein. RIYL JEFFtB, Wavves.
Have started to check back thru this thread from page 1 tonight for bands/albums I havent had a chance to check out yet. Im not sure if its because I saw your post before I listened to the album, but I thought I heard an underlining surf rock vibe as well, which I wouldnt have thought considering this has roots in punk, but at the same time, a lot more going on.If you can get past the high schoolish lyrics (which somehow work at times), its a pretty fun and musically surprising album I think.

Also listened to the Nick Cave and California X albums so far. I liked the Nick Cave one to a degree. Id say its good in small doses because it just loses my attention after a few songs. I liked what is pleasing my ears, but halfway thru the album I was ready for something else. I think I made it to track 7 before switching it up.

Like the California X. You guys were throwing around Jeff the Brotherhood in those FIDLAR posts, but I thought JTB is a better comparison with this band. California X definitely fuzz it out a little more though.

lyrically devoid of anything unrelated to drinking and doing drugs.
Pretty sure that's all I need to hear.
I bet you think I'm exaggerating. It's the most immature, brilliant #### I've ever heard.
They make Jeff the Brotherhood sound like James Joyce.
I don’t care if you think it’s cool,####ed up and I'm ditching schoolI don’t wanna go back to townWith my face to the ground and I’m upside down.I just wanna get really high,Smoke weed until I die,I don’t ever wanna get a job,If I ####ed up today, hey, nothing's wrong.Get pissed up by the hills,Cocaine and ####ty pills,Get head in a broken carWith the windows up and the lights turned off.There’s nothing wrong with living like this,All my friends are pieces of ####,Busted chin and a bloody noseAnd I'm covered in dirt from my head to my toes.
For some reason I read these lyrics to the melody of Hey Ho by The Lumineers.
:lmao: picturing the Lumineers singing it like that

Phosphorescent's new album thats due in a couple weeks is now streaming here.

Only gave it 1 listen so far, but I like it. Hard to describe, but there's definitely more going on sound-wise (or should I say production wise) compared to previous albums, yet still sounds undeniably like Phosphorescent. Id recommend the previous album, Here's To Taking It Easy, for those unfamiliar with the band as a first listen though.
Been listening to this one a lot lately. It's jumped to the top of my list for the year at this point.

Clutch - Earth Rocker

Wow. This is for those of you who enjoy listening to albums where you can feel the rock dripping from the ceiling.

Clutch - Earth RockerWow. This is for those of you who enjoy listening to albums where you can feel the rock dripping from the ceiling.
Thanks for the heads-up. I heard a promo clip (maybe title track?) that didn't really impress me. Sounded kinda cheesy. Is this their first new release since 'Strange Cousins'?And yeah, C! kicks ###.

Clutch - Earth RockerWow. This is for those of you who enjoy listening to albums where you can feel the rock dripping from the ceiling.
Thanks for the heads-up. I heard a promo clip (maybe title track?) that didn't really impress me. Sounded kinda cheesy. Is this their first new release since 'Strange Cousins'?And yeah, C! kicks ###.
Yeah, the title track is easily the weakest track on the album. This thing smokes from start to finish though and Earth Rocker has its place...if it is a little cheesy.Edit to add: Yes, this is their first album since Cousins.

It didn't come out this year, just wanted to let everyone know that I've listened to "Judy and the Dream of Horses" by Belle and Sebastian about 100 times over the last few weeks. My kid wants to listen to it constantly, so it's pretty much on repeat now.

Sound City - Real to Reel

This reminds me a lot of Probot.. the much ballyhooed Dave-Grohl-plus-a-million-special-guests heavy metal album. At the end of the day the songs just weren't very good and these ones aren't, either.

This album, 180, by the Palma Violets. It's the ####. I would like to take it out for a seafood dinner.

Users who are viewing this thread