What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

timdraft #4: Movie Category Draft (2 Viewers)

30.10 - The Departed - Death of of Billy Costigan - Shocking scene

this was one i NEVER saw coming. i think i actually gasped out loud in the theater
Good pick for shocking scene but I HATED it in the movie. It completely changed the "rules" of the movie to have a character come out of the blue and resolve the plot that way.

It was based on a similar scene in Infernal Affairs but in that movie it had context and was much more effective.
at the time, i didn't like it. over more time, i liked it more. but i understand what you're saying

29.04 - Dakota Fanning in Man on Fire - Performance by Child Actor

Considered a few performances here, but mostly they were supporting roles, and I'm guessing we're supposed to be drafting leading roles for the portrayals category. Looking back, I'm kind of pissed I didn't think of the girl from Pan's Labyrinth.

30.22 - Bobsled crash scene in Cool Runnings - Sports Scene

I had already taken Dakota Fanning for child actor from I am Sam.

first a big shout out to Mrs. Rannous for the help.

My Final pick --Holiday inn---Shooting a Movie

I have not been able to find the exact scene, the full movie link on youtube does not work (at least not for me) however this is the part near the end where he (Bing) goes back for the girl (Rebecca) and they are filming her in an exact replica of the hotel...she is singing the infamous "White Christmas Song"

Is this correct?

sports scene
1. Jimmy Chitwood's shot in Hoosiers
2. Ending of Rudy
3. Home run from The Natural
4. Pele's goal in Victory
5. Lagaan (Once Upon a Time In India)
6. Kelly Leak almost hits a home run- The Bad News Bears
7. Rocky vs. Drago, Rocky IV
8. Breaking Away
9. Miracle
10. Invictus
11. Tin Cup
12. The Karate Kid
13. The Black Stallion
14. The Best of Times
15. He Got Game
16. pre-game brawl in Slap Shot
17. Cinderella Man
18. Pride of the Yankees
19. We Are Marshall
20. Goal
21. A League of Their Own
22. Bull Durham
23. Bobsled crash scene in Cool Runnings

looks like I am missing two picks?

ETA: I am also missing youtube links and/or scene selections for a lot of the above.

Last edited by a moderator:
In no particular order, here is my initial tiers for Nazi movies:

Top Tier

Schindler's List

Downfall

Inglorious Basterds

Judgment at Nuremberg

Europa Europa

The Tin Drum

Mephisto

Marathon Man

Second Tier

American History X

The Counterfeiters

Notorious

The Pianist

The Shop on Main Street

Romper Stomper

Third Tier

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Triumph of the Will

Triumph of the Spirit

Fourth Tier

Apt Pupil

Valkyrie

The Boys From Brazil

The Great Escape

The DIrty Dozen

Hangman Also Die!

Haven't seen yet

Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS

Iron Sky

This could change...
Your criteria was simply, must have Nazis in it and be entertaining (to you) correct?

Not complaining about the tiers, just checking if that's still the criteria.

Top Tier

Schindler's List

Downfall

Inglorious Basterds

Judgment at Nuremberg

Europa Europa

The Tin Drum

Mephisto

Marathon Man

Second Tier

American History X

The Counterfeiters

Notorious

The Pianist

The Shop on Main Street

Romper Stomper

Third Tier

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Triumph of the Will

Triumph of the Spirit

Fourth Tier

Apt Pupil

Valkyrie

The Boys From Brazil

The Great Escape

The DIrty Dozen

Hangman Also Die!

Haven't seen yet

Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS

Iron Sky

This could change...
Your criteria was simply, must have Nazis in it and be entertaining (to you) correct?

Pretty much, but Nazis should be central to the movie. That's why I can't rank Raiders, The Great Escape, or The Dirty Dozen in the top tiers, despite the fact that those are 3 of my all time favorite movies and extremely entertaining. In all 3 flicks, Nazis appear but are rather peripheral, compared to the other films drafted.

Links for my final three picks:

28.21:

in Cobra (Car Chase Scene)Not merely the jump itself, but the entire chase scene linked. The jump, about three minutes into the clip, is just the most famous part of the sequence.

30.21: Charlie Company lands at Normandy and squares off against German turret snipers, opening of Saving Private Ryan (Shootout Scene)

JZilla's criteria only stated "Anything goes" and that realism would be favored. Well, this is a classic, gripping scene that had been often lauded by real-life Normandy vets to be as realistic a depiction of a D-day firefight as has ever been filmed.

30.21: Charlie Company lands at Normandy and squares off against German turret snipers, opening of Saving Private Ryan (Shootout Scene)

JZilla's criteria only stated "Anything goes" and that realism would be favored. Well, this is a classic, gripping scene that had been often lauded by real-life Normandy vets to be as realistic a depiction of a D-day firefight as has ever been filmed.

This is one of the better film sequences I have seen, but I wouldn't call it a "shoot-out". I'm not the judge though, and because it's so well done I'd probably have to reluctantly score it high, even if I was.

Top Tier

Schindler's List

Downfall

Inglorious Basterds

Judgment at Nuremberg

Europa Europa

The Tin Drum

Mephisto

Marathon Man

Second Tier

American History X

The Counterfeiters

Notorious

The Pianist

The Shop on Main Street

Romper Stomper

Third Tier

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Triumph of the Will

Triumph of the Spirit

Fourth Tier

Apt Pupil

Valkyrie

The Boys From Brazil

The Great Escape

The DIrty Dozen

Hangman Also Die!

Haven't seen yet

Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS

Iron Sky

This could change...

Pretty much, but Nazis should be central to the movie. That's why I can't rank Raiders, The Great Escape, or The Dirty Dozen in the top tiers, despite the fact that those are 3 of my all time favorite movies and extremely entertaining. In all 3 flicks, Nazis appear but are rather peripheral, compared to the other films drafted.
I'd argue that there's at least one film in your top tier where the bolded doesn't apply.

Also, my guess is that some of these films while important and well made didn't really entertain you. :yawn:

I'd say the list looks pretty good overall though - like I said I don't envy any of the judges in this thing. It will be very tough to differentiate between most of the great picks.

Status for sports scene:

1. Jimmy Chitwood's shot in Hoosiers (I have link to scene)
2. Ending of Rudy (I have link to scene)
3. Home run from The Natural (I have link to scene)
4. Pele's goal in Victory (I have link to scene)
5. Lagaan (Once Upon a Time In India) (I have link to scene)
6. Kelly Leak almost hits a home run- The Bad News Bears (missing link to specific scene, but understand which scene is picked)
7. Rocky vs. Drago, Rocky IV (missing link to specific scene, or description if the selected is the entire last fight)
8. Breaking Away (I have link to scene, but it's not working. I am familiar with exactly what was drafted)
9. Miracle (I have link to scene)
10. Invictus (I have link to scene)
11. Tin Cup (I have link to scene)
12. The Karate Kid (I have link to scene, which is missing a key part, I am aware and familiar with what the drafter intended)
13. The Black Stallion (missing link and scene selection is not 100% clear)
14. The Best of Times (I have link to scene)
15. He Got Game (I have link to scene)
16. pre-game brawl in Slap Shot (I have link to scene)
17. Cinderella Man (missing scene selection and link)
18. Pride of the Yankees (I have link to scene)
19. We Are Marshall (I have link to scene)
20. Goal (I have link to scene)
21. A League of Their Own (missing scene selection and link)
22. Bull Durham (I have link to incomplete scene, but am familiar with the full scene and the drafters intentions)
23. Bobsled crash scene in Cool Runnings (I have link to scene)
24. Tiananmen Tank - not selected
25. Mister CIA - not selected

Status for sports scene:

6. Kelly Leak almost hits a home run- The Bad News Bears (missing link to specific scene, but understand which scene is picked)
7. Rocky vs. Drago, Rocky IV (missing link to specific scene, or description if the selected is the entire last fight)
8. Breaking Away (I have link to scene, but it's not working. I am familiar with exactly what was drafted)
12. The Karate Kid (I have link to scene, which is missing a key part, I am aware and familiar with what the drafter intended)
22. Bull Durham (I have link to incomplete scene, but am familiar with the full scene and the drafters intentions)
A league of their own Link-

Status for sports scene:

JZilla's criteria only stated "Anything goes" ...
This is one of the better film sequences I have seen, but I wouldn't call it a "shoot-out". I'm not the judge though, and because it's so well done I'd probably have to reluctantly score it high, even if I was.
I had that same reservation before I read his criteria. I'm taking him at his word on "anything goes". It did not escape my notice that other drafters were avoiding war movies in this catetgory ... and I am not sure what the reason for that is.

I had that same reservation before I read his criteria. I'm taking him at his word on "anything goes". It did not escape my notice that other drafters were avoiding war movies in this catetgory ... and I am not sure what the reason for that is.
I avoided it because of the name of the category "Shootout" signaled something different than "Battle." I had Private Ryan on my list but it isn't a "Shootout" the way I was thinking about it. I realize that is probably semantics but I could never pull the trigger (ha!) on Ryan.

I avoided it because of the name of the category "Shootout" signaled something different than "Battle." I had Private Ryan on my list but it isn't a "Shootout" the way I was thinking about it. I realize that is probably semantics but I could never pull the trigger (ha!) on Ryan.
The end sequence with the sniper in the bell tower might have been closer to a shootout.

Love the Psalm 25 quotes as Private Jackson reloads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1ZO44R7lYw

Status for sports scene:

Rocky Turns the momentum around and

Top Tier

Schindler's List

Downfall

Inglorious Basterds

Judgment at Nuremberg

Europa Europa

The Tin Drum

Mephisto

Marathon Man

Second Tier

American History X

The Counterfeiters

Notorious

The Pianist

The Shop on Main Street

Romper Stomper

Third Tier

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Triumph of the Will

Triumph of the Spirit

Fourth Tier

Apt Pupil

Valkyrie

The Boys From Brazil

The Great Escape

The DIrty Dozen

Hangman Also Die!

Haven't seen yet

Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS

Iron Sky

This could change...

Wonder how Life is Beautiful would have fared?

Considered a few performances here, but mostly they were supporting roles, and I'm guessing we're supposed to be drafting leading roles for the portrayals category. Looking back, I'm kind of pissed I didn't think of the girl from Pan's Labyrinth.

That's not an issue, right? You're just making an observation?

DDL and Val Kilmer were taken twice each in the real/historical category.

I'll take the courtroom scene from Idiocracy to finish it up. Can't find a clip right now
Let me Google Idiocracy - courtroom scene/videos and link the first one that comes up:

http://www.popmodal.com/video/1397/Idiocracy--Justice
What is this google you speak of? This did not come up in my Lycos search
You're going to audit all our picks and make sure we have links? That's awesome, thanks.

:hifive:

26.11 Hot Fuzz -- England

Representation of the English countryside combined with an English interpretation of American action movies. In addition: hilarious.

So I'm driving to Coachella today and will probably be out of action until Monday. #skip for the remainder of that period, sorry guys. I'll try to duck in and make picks before I pass out at night but I can't make any promises.
Did you bring a parasol?

I just now realized a weird coincidence. For the timdraft regulars, we've all had it happen where we've been sniped the pick immediately before we were going to make the same exact selection -- apparently I sniped KP twice that way in this draft (for Shadow of a Vampire for 'movie-in-a-movie' and Gremlins for 'scenes that scared you as a kid').

But now as I look at the judges list in the first post...

shooting a movie scene (Karma Police)

scene that scared you as a kid (Karma Police)
Should I be glad since he'll recognize/reward that great minds think alike? :thumbup:

Or should I be nervous because of timdraft-snipe-revenge? :scared:

it was just an observation, i wasnt sure if it was allowed, then realized it was.

Darling daughter just sang Happy Birthday to Earth (they just observed Earth Day @ school). Then she shouted ""Are you one billion? NO! Are you. Two billion?..."

Happy 4-1/2 billionith birthday, E.

The following still owe picks:

Mister CIA- 13

hooter311- 12

Tiannamen Tank- 4

Tremendous Upside- 3

John Madden's Lunchbox- 1
Anyone in the peanut gallery want to jump aboard? Time is just to tight these days. I'll see if I can knock a few out tonight. Right now I don't have anything and I'll have to resort to Google for inspiration, but if somebody has a selection they feel is worthy I'll gladly accept the assist.

The following still owe picks: Mister CIA- 13hooter311- 12Tiannamen Tank- 4Tremendous Upside- 3John Madden's Lunchbox- 1
Anyone in the peanut gallery want to jump aboard? Time is just to tight these days. I'll see if I can knock a few out tonight. Right now I don't have anything and I'll have to resort to Google for inspiration, but if somebody has a selection they feel is worthy I'll gladly accept the assist.
I'll take a look in a few hours and see if I had any leftovers I liked.

Mister CIA- 13

hooter311- 12

Tiannamen Tank- 4

Tremendous Upside- 3

Mucho appreciated. In the meantime, I have one (hope I don't snipe you).

Round 18

Drugstore Cowboys - Movie about drugs.

I can barely recall this movie - lot's of braincells have died in the past 20 years - but I remember liking it a lot. For reading pleasure I'll post the first glowing review I pulled up on imdb.

This is a period picture that takes place in 1971, but there are no references to Vietnam, the flower power movement, Kent State or any other issues or events of the day. This is because the characters have nothing to do with that world. Bob's thoughts revolve around drugstores like planets around the sun. His family of dope thieves lives in almost total isolation. Even junkies who come to do business are admitted to their home with reluctance and then rudely sent on their way. Their only contact with the "other" world is its drugstores and its cops. They live in a world not ruled by the authorities, but by "the dark forces that lie hidden beneath the surface, the ones that some people call superstitions: howling banshees, black cats, hats on beds, dogs, the evil eye..." In his world, Bob's lunatic logic makes perfect sense and serves him as a guide for living better than any "sane" worldview.

When the crew goes "crossroading" to the tune of "the Israelites" we realize that they, too, are like children of a different god; wanderers whose only contact with others is hostile confrontation. They are either "attacking" drug stores or being attacked by ball-breaking cops.

Kelly Lynch, who plays Diane, said in an interview that, "The first take was terrible and Matt (Dillon) said he wouldn't support the film." It is not surprising that a film this ambitious should run into some snags. A great film like "DC" is a tightrope act. The best scenes in the film are also the riskiest; they would have fallen apart in the hands of lesser actors.

If you like the film you might get a kick out of the autobiographical novel on which it is based, by James Fogle, the original drugstore cowboy. At the time of the film's release (1989) Fogle had spent "thirty-five of his fifty-three years in prison on drug-related charges." I wonder what ever became of him.

Mister CIA- 13

hooter311- 12

Tiannamen Tank- 4

Tremendous Upside- 3

Mucho appreciated. In the meantime, I have one (hope I don't snipe you).

Round 18

Drugstore Cowboys - Movie about drugs.

I can barely recall this movie - lot's of braincells have died in the past 20 years - but I remember liking it a lot. For reading pleasure I'll post the first glowing review I pulled up on imdb.

>This is a period picture that takes place in 1971, but there are no references to Vietnam, the flower power movement, Kent State or any other issues or events of the day. This is because the characters have nothing to do with that world. Bob's thoughts revolve around drugstores like planets around the sun. His family of dope thieves lives in almost total isolation. Even junkies who come to do business are admitted to their home with reluctance and then rudely sent on their way. Their only contact with the "other" world is its drugstores and its cops. They live in a world not ruled by the authorities, but by "the dark forces that lie hidden beneath the surface, the ones that some people call superstitions: howling banshees, black cats, hats on beds, dogs, the evil eye..." In his world, Bob's lunatic logic makes perfect sense and serves him as a guide for living better than any "sane" worldview.

When the crew goes "crossroading" to the tune of "the Israelites" we realize that they, too, are like children of a different god; wanderers whose only contact with others is hostile confrontation. They are either "attacking" drug stores or being attacked by ball-breaking cops.

Kelly Lynch, who plays Diane, said in an interview that, "The first take was terrible and Matt (Dillon) said he wouldn't support the film." It is not surprising that a film this ambitious should run into some snags. A great film like "DC" is a tightrope act. The best scenes in the film are also the riskiest; they would have fallen apart in the hands of lesser actors.

If you like the film you might get a kick out of the autobiographical novel on which it is based, by James Fogle, the original drugstore cowboy. At the time of the film's release (1989) Fogle had spent "thirty-five of his fifty-three years in prison on drug-related charges." I wonder what ever became of him.
CRAP!! Control-F failed me, or should I say that I failed Control-F when I searched page 1 for "cowboys."

Sex/Adultery

I've been over thinking this category for weeks now trying to find the right movie. I almost submitted "Behind the Green Door" as it was a legit movie with a great foot fetish scene and a very lovely Marilyn Chambers, but my criteria clearly stated not Porn.

I looked at all kinds of movies with unsimulated sex like Romance X, The Idiots, Caligula, Spetters, All Ladies Do it, The Lover, Pola X, Intimacy, Sex and Lucia, Brown Bunny, Anatomy of Hell, All About Anna, Import/Export and It is Fine! Everything is Fine, but either the movie was terrible, the sex scenes weren't erotic or the overall movie wasn't terribly sexy, despite the sex scenes working.

I then looked at all manner of mainstream movies, everything from Showgirls to And God created Women, but titillation is not what I'm looking for

So I end up back where I started, and literally 10 or more movies from Bunuel would rank in the top half, with one of the films that has most influenced me

30.05 (29.21 for Tim) - That Obscure Object of Desire - Sex

JML, if you don't want to submit another car chase movie, I will accept Duel and let the judge deal with it. If I were the judge I would give it a 1, but I'll leave it up to the judge. Its your call.

Darling daughter just sang Happy Birthday to Earth (they just observed Earth Day @ school). Then she shouted ""Are you one billion? NO! Are you. Two billion?..."Happy 4-1/2 billionith birthday, E.
Half asian daughters are the best
:hifive:The other day we're eating pho, enjoying a little one on one time. Out of the blue:"You know, one person at (t)his table is Asian, and one person is not."Long pause. Stare. "Wanna know which one you are?":lmao:ETA: thumbs!

For Tim, I'll repick Car Chase

In my searches I came across a movie I haven't seen for over 15 years and one that I'd wholly forgotten about.

I was trying to find a good car chase from Fast and Furious and came across this one in Youtube.

Highly entertaining.

30.05 (For Tim) - Short Time - Car Chase

Users who are viewing this thread