What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official MLB 2013 Season Thread (1 Viewer)

I'm going to assume that Bochy is universally regarded as the best current manager in baseball. So, who would be second? The easy answer for a long time would have been Scioscia, but the bloom is off that rose. Tampa has gotten off to a slow start this year, but Maddon always does a lot with a little. Gibby seems to fit into that category as well. For my money, I'll take Buck.

Toronto pitcher Happ took a line drive off the left side of his head...looked bad (ie blood). The crack/crack of the bat then noggin was eerie.

I'm going to assume that Bochy is universally regarded as the best current manager in baseball. So, who would be second? The easy answer for a long time would have been Scioscia, but the bloom is off that rose. Tampa has gotten off to a slow start this year, but Maddon always does a lot with a little. Gibby seems to fit into that category as well. For my money, I'll take Buck.
No idea who the best is, but I've always been partial to Jimmy Leyland. If ATL could handpick a coach from anywhere in the league, that's who I'd want them to get.

Maddon and Buck are obviously great too.

I think manager is one of the more overrated things. You can be a bad manager but the difference between the good ones seems very minimal. Bochy has had a ton of recent success especially with some of the buttons he push but when that runs out, it could look much like Scioscia.

I do like guys like Maddon who try to work in sabermetrics so I can respect that. But overall, I don't think managers have that much impact (assuming you don't let guys drink during games) and that a lot of success is just luck. Imagine if Pedro Martinez gets Posada out, then we might be talking about Grady Little.

Last edited by a moderator:
So what's the outlook in Anaheim? Obviously they have the franchise player in Trout and have some good young guys like Trumbo/Bourjos and Aybar is a good enough SS but the team is saddled with the no terrible looking contract of Pujols and terrible when he signed contract of Hamilton. They have Weaver and Wilson at pitchers but that's it and Weaver has his question marks. The farm system from what everyone says is pretty barren as well. What's the end game in Anaheim? Overreacting to a slow start? Spend your way out? Fire Sciosa?

Besides Trout who is all world, this team looks like it could go the way of the 2011-2012 Red Sox. High priced free agents and manager who seems to be losing the players. Unlike the Red Sox, I don't see the Dodgers giving Anaheim a get out of jail free card.

Do White Sox fans actually like their announcer and his horrible, cringe-worthy HR calls? I vaguely remember hearing it over the years, but MLB network seems to be going out of their way to play every one this year. I've actually started changing the channel whenever they come to White Sox highlights.

Nails on a chalkboard >>> YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOARD... YES!

The Flying Elvis said:
So what's the outlook in Anaheim? Obviously they have the franchise player in Trout and have some good young guys like Trumbo/Bourjos and Aybar is a good enough SS but the team is saddled with the no terrible looking contract of Pujols and terrible when he signed contract of Hamilton. They have Weaver and Wilson at pitchers but that's it and Weaver has his question marks. The farm system from what everyone says is pretty barren as well. What's the end game in Anaheim? Overreacting to a slow start? Spend your way out? Fire Sciosa?

Besides Trout who is all world, this team looks like it could go the way of the 2011-2012 Red Sox. High priced free agents and manager who seems to be losing the players. Unlike the Red Sox, I don't see the Dodgers giving Anaheim a get out of jail free card.
They owe 20 million to Sciosca. He's staying put. Wilson is settling in as an overpaid 4th arm. It is setting up to be a far bigger trainwreck than the Red Sox.

I still don't get how they can afford all this. Angels are what? The 5th most popular team in the city? 6th even? Yeah it is an epic tv market etc. etc. but the Dodgers captivate far more people. Just look at this forum it took 4 years for an Angels thread to start up and it dropped off to oblivion promptly.

I'm keeping track of the Braves/Reds game right now because Minor is one of my pitchers. Does anyone in here have any idea why Dusty didn't PH someone for Leake in the bottom of the 7th? Minor had gotten 2 outs but then a single and a walk had 2 men on with Leake up to bat. I was sure Dusty would PH someone for Leake, who was at a pitch count of 96 at that time, to try to push a run across since the Reds were behind 2-1. I figured there would be a pinch hitter and a pitching change for Atlanta. That didn't happen and now Leake is getting pounded in the top of the 8th.

Dusty need a new flavor toothpick to wake him up?

I'm keeping track of the Braves/Reds game right now because Minor is one of my pitchers. Does anyone in here have any idea why Dusty didn't PH someone for Leake in the bottom of the 7th? Minor had gotten 2 outs but then a single and a walk had 2 men on with Leake up to bat. I was sure Dusty would PH someone for Leake, who was at a pitch count of 96 at that time, to try to push a run across since the Reds were behind 2-1. I figured there would be a pinch hitter and a pitching change for Atlanta. That didn't happen and now Leake is getting pounded in the top of the 8th.

I flipped to the game too (also have Minor) No idea why he let Leake hit. Dumb decision.

Marshall now in for Leake with 2 on.

Leake is one of the best hitting pitchers in baseball :shrug:

That makes some sense to me. Is he really that good.....better than any options on the bench?

ETA: Didn't work out too well for Dusty. Good for us Minor owners now, it's suddenly a blowout.

Do White Sox fans actually like their announcer and his horrible, cringe-worthy HR calls? I vaguely remember hearing it over the years, but MLB network seems to be going out of their way to play every one this year. I've actually started changing the channel whenever they come to White Sox highlights.

Their line-up has a negative 1.8 WAR right now, I think the broadcast team is better than the players to be honest.

I'm keeping track of the Braves/Reds game right now because Minor is one of my pitchers. Does anyone in here have any idea why Dusty didn't PH someone for Leake in the bottom of the 7th? Minor had gotten 2 outs but then a single and a walk had 2 men on with Leake up to bat. I was sure Dusty would PH someone for Leake, who was at a pitch count of 96 at that time, to try to push a run across since the Reds were behind 2-1. I figured there would be a pinch hitter and a pitching change for Atlanta. That didn't happen and now Leake is getting pounded in the top of the 8th. Dusty need a new flavor toothpick to wake him up?
That makes some sense to me. Is he really that good.....better than any options on the bench? ETA: Didn't work out too well for Dusty. Good for us Minor owners now, it's suddenly a blowout.
Leake is career .288/.311/.390 against LHP.On the bench, Dusty had left handed bats Hannahan and Xavier Paul, not very good hitters Cesar Izturis and Derrick Robinson and a backup catcher.Dusty does some weird things but I think this move is defensible, even though it didn't work out as planned.

Nutty game in Fenway.

12 14 16 runs on the board with Minnesota still batting in the top of the 2nd. :loco:

Is there a more maddening job than MLB pitching coach?

The Twins have a six run lead, and this SCRUB walks the first two Red Sox hitters in the 4th. JFC.

So horrible. That and "Yankees win! Yankees win! Yaaaaankeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees win!" are the worst.

Leake is probably a better hitter than whatever RH'er was on the bench.

Do White Sox fans actually like their announcer and his horrible, cringe-worthy HR calls? I vaguely remember hearing it over the years, but MLB network seems to be going out of their way to play every one this year. I've actually started changing the channel whenever they come to White Sox highlights. Nails on a chalkboard >>> YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOARD... YES!
So horrible. That and "Yankees win! Yankees win! Yaaaaankeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees win!" are the worst.
The difference is that Yankee fans acknowledge that Sterling is a complete embarrassment.Most White Sox fans actually like Hawk.

Do White Sox fans actually like their announcer and his horrible, cringe-worthy HR calls? I vaguely remember hearing it over the years, but MLB network seems to be going out of their way to play every one this year. I've actually started changing the channel whenever they come to White Sox highlights. Nails on a chalkboard >>> YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOARD... YES!
The difference is that Yankee fans acknowledge that Sterling is a complete embarrassment.Most White Sox fans actually like Hawk.
Hawk could rub his taint on the camera lens, in protest of a bad call, and it would still be better than crap like 'The Pronx Bomber'

Hawk could rub his taint on the camera lens, in protest of a bad call, and it would still be better than crap like 'The Pronx Bomber'
I agree. :shrug:

Yes...I love him!

HUGE FAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Users who are viewing this thread