What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official MLB 2013 Season Thread (2 Viewers)

Matt Kemp One of the good guys.
Got chills when he took his jersey off to give to him. Really awesome.
:goodposting:

Watching it thinking it would be like yeah whatever but that was actually really, really cool, especially if you read the story underneath.
Yeah, I watched it somewhere else without the back story and was kinda lost. I was just like, that is pretty cool but the kid doesn't seem to care. Now I feel like an ####### but its very cool seeing Kemp try to figure out what else he could give him.

Didn't see it, but it can't be worse than the job they did in KC the other day to rob the White Sox.
OK, just saw it and it was the worst call in the history of instant replay, regardless of the sport.
Angel Hernandez of course
Anyone got a link to this?
http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=26965213&topic_id=11493214&c_id=mlb&tcid=vpp_copy_26965213&v=3

Didn't see it, but it can't be worse than the job they did in KC the other day to rob the White Sox.
OK, just saw it and it was the worst call in the history of instant replay, regardless of the sport.
http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=26965213&topic_id=11493214&c_id=mlb&tcid=vpp_copy_26965213&v=3
what the #### did they look at in the booth?

Yes, and still ####ed the donkey

Not that, apparently. I read somewhere that they don't get multiple-angle HD replays. Might explain it a little bit. Although then the obvious question is why the umps don't get all the info they need to get the call right.

Good article about Hernandez who I have always thought was among the worst in baseball.

Let's go back in our time machine and see what Red Sux fans who used to post in here have to say about Angel Hernandez, lolololololol.

"A 2003 Sports Illustrated survey of MLB players and managers pegged the 5 worst umps in the league at 1: CB Bucknor, 2:Bruce Froemming, 3:Joe Brinkman, 4:Joe West, 5:Angel Hernandez. Bucknor was a runaway winner, picking up 20% of the votes."
Angel Hernandez is by far the worst home plate umpire in baseball (guy was on 3rd in the Phils/Stones game today), Bucknor not bad at home but he's known for his bad check swing calls. I think Froemming is decent.
meh.. this was voted on by MLB Players and managers and players. What do they know.

Interesting you think Bucknor is not at home... from the same survey of MLB Players and Managers:

>"Bucknor’s strike-zone has always been among the worst in the game. To call it tight would be an understatement. This guy lives for confrontation. Watch a Bucknor game and see how many times he takes the mask off and glares at the pitcher."

It really doesn't make any sense. I wish one or all of the other umpires on the crew would speak up and say they wanted to overturn the call, but Hernandez overruled all of them.

I can't stand that guy.

My question is why any MLB park is built like that in the first place. They're $200+ million professional sports facilities, not elementary school stickball in the playground.. Build a wall that stops where you want to differentiate HRs from balls in play. If the ball clears the wall it's a HR. If it doesn't, it's in play. Problem solved.

Last edited by a moderator:
My question is why any MLB park is built like that in the first place. They're $200+ million professional sports facilities, not elementary school stickball in the playground.. Build a wall that stops where you want to differentiate HRs from balls in play. If the ball clears the wall it's a HR. If it doesn't, it's in play. Problem solved.
You mean you don't like the random yellow line on the walls in Houston. http://www.baseballpilgrimages.com/national/minutemaid2.jpg

it hit the railing above the wall and bounced back imo

Right. But it looks like the railing is flush with the wall, meaning balls can (and obviously do) bounce off it and back towards the field the same way they'd bounce off a wall. Why would you build an outfield wall like that? There shouldn't be anything directly above the outfield wall that's not in play.

Right. But it looks like the railing is flush with the wall, meaning balls can (and obviously do) bounce off it and back towards the field the same way they'd bounce off a wall. Why would you build an outfield wall like that? There shouldn't be anything directly above the outfield wall that's not in play.
I was wondering that too. Seems weird to spend so much building a facility for baseball and not build it in a way that things like this aren't an issue.

Lackey throws ten feet wide of gritty, gutty little Dustin on a tailor-made double play comebacker.

And then the inning unravels. :banned:

Brutal umpiring lately.
At it again in TB
Something just happened in houston. Game under protest. Something about lineup cards and pitching changes or something.
Its worse than the Cleveland call to me.

What we don't get, and should, as viewers of any replay calls, is the EXACT FEED the umps are watching. There is a chance, I suppose, in that judgement, and in what gets presented to them, of making a bad call.

It appears the umpires in Houston don't know the rules right now, unless more information comes to light after the game. Horrendous.

Brutal umpiring lately.
At it again in TB
Something just happened in houston. Game under protest. Something about lineup cards and pitching changes or something.
Its worse than the Cleveland call to me.

What we don't get, and should, as viewers of any replay calls, is the EXACT FEED the umps are watching. There is a chance, I suppose, in that judgement, and in what gets presented to them, of making a bad call.

It appears the umpires in Houston don't know the rules right now, unless more information comes to light after the game. Horrendous.
Four umps did not know a rule that basically comes into play in nearly every game. Not an obscure rule. Did the umps think Scioscia could then announce a new pinch-hitter as well and we could just go around in circles?

Sounds like porter doesnt know the rules either

"Technically, Wesley came in to face the batter that was scheduled to hit, but he pinch-hit for the batter that was scheduled to hit, which my understanding of the rule means you can now bring in another pitcher to face the pinch hitter," Porter said.

Brutal umpiring lately.
At it again in TB
Its worse than the Cleveland call to me. What we don't get, and should, as viewers of any replay calls, is the EXACT FEED the umps are watching. There is a chance, I suppose, in that judgement, and in what gets presented to them, of making a bad call. It appears the umpires in Houston don't know the rules right now, unless more information comes to light after the game. Horrendous.
Reynolds was saying that the umps get the broadcast feeds from both teams. By the time Hernandez went to watch, both broadcasts had shown multiple slow-mo shots of where the ball hit. They almost certainly had available everything the viewers saw.

Speaking of the atrocious Will Middlebrooks, just a reminder that Garin Cecchini is still destroying the Carolina League. .380/.468/.667 with more walks than strikeouts.

No idea what sort of schedule the Sox have Cecchini or what sort of leash they have for Middlebrooks, but I'd have to think they are rethinking both of those. Middlebrooks is horrible.

Trying to figure out the David Price stat correction.

All official stat corrections are updated every Monday.

In Head-to-Head leagues, stat corrections will be processed only if they apply to the most recently completed matchups.
So, does this mean that the correction will be applied, since currently in Week 6 and Week 5 is most recently completed week?

Or not applied, since stat corrections are only applied on Monday, and Week 6 will have just been completed, so Week 6 will have been most recently completed week?

Anyone know?

(ETA: Yahoo)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope the Rays are taking a close look at Nick Hundley this series. He can be yours for the low low price of Blake Snell and a Mello Yello.

Brandon Phillips with one of the greatest plays I've seen in a while. Barehanded a ball, kneed on 2nd base, then turned the DP.

Speaking of the atrocious Will Middlebrooks, just a reminder that Garin Cecchini is still destroying the Carolina League. .380/.468/.667 with more walks than strikeouts.No idea what sort of schedule the Sox have Cecchini or what sort of leash they have for Middlebrooks, but I'd have to think they are rethinking both of those. Middlebrooks is horrible.
Wouldn't expect Cecchini until next year at earliest. Still in A-Ball. I would expect him to jump mid season to AA.

They'll give Middlebrooks this season. I would expect Middlebrooks is at more risk of Bogaerts than Cecchini depending on the confidence at all in Inglesias.

Ubaldo vs. Verlander in Detroit. One pitcher has struggled mightily. One pitcher has been lights-out.

Yep.... baseball.

Users who are viewing this thread