What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

kenbrell thompkins (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally got around to gathering the data on Thompkins and plugging him into the WR database and thought I'd post this here instead of starting a new topic.

I took a glance at Thompkins's vitals earlier and he didn't register at all as a likely prospect, and he was already rostered in every league, so I'm just now getting around to it. For reference here are Thompkins exact measurements from the combine:

NCAA Performance: -9.8 (terrible)
Height: 72-5/8"
BMI/Size: 25.3 (Slight)
Speed: 4.46 forty/1.56 10-split (average speed)
Explosion: 33.5" vert, 121 broad (below average explosion)

Based on these numbers I believe Thompkins's best comparables are WRs between 6'0" and 6'2" tall; with low BMIs; decent, but not elite speed; average to low explosion; and an average to poor NCAA receiving metric. There are several of them and I was surprised at who they are. I expected it would filled with NFL nobodies, but it's not a bad list:

Jerome Pathon
Brian Hartline
Marc Mariani
Andre Davis
Darius Passmore
Demetrius Williams
Reggie Brown
Marvin Jones
Steve Breaston

Based on his initial success with the Patriots and that he's seemingly in line for a meaningful role this year I think it's probably safe to focus on the guys in bold. As a group these are mostly players who make their living on sudden change of direction and their ability to get create lateral separation, and who have been nice complementary players in the NFL at one time or another. However, despite the occasional big game or hype none of them emerged to become big-time NFL #1 WRs.

It's impossible to ever say someone won't have a sudden bout of unaccountable development -- it does happen -- but the odds are always against it and in this case may be even moreso as Thompkins enters the NFL at 25 years old. I believe that in terms of overall talent level it's far more likely than not than Thompkins is a role player similar to some of the players on the list above.

Having said that the Brady/Belichik Pats offense is clearly more than the sum or its parts and they've made exceptional use of niche role players in the past which makes committing to everything above pretty uncomfortable. But forced to make an up or down call, my take is that the Thompkins hype may be at its apex and that he'll prove be a useful, but ultimately replaceable, role player.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting stuff.
If a rookie QB in Ryan Tannehill could provide Brian Hartline with a 74/1083/1 stat line, I wonder how he'd fair with Brady at the helm. Lot's of variables here, but I think Brady/Pats system is the largest one. Good post regardless though.

Interesting stuff.
If a rookie QB in Ryan Tannehill could provide Brian Hartline with a 74/1083/1 stat line, I wonder how he'd fair with Brady at the helm. Lot's of variables here, but I think Brady/Pats system is the largest one. Good post regardless though.
Right... Brady and the Pats are the big unknown. Thompkins might get Welkerized in that offense.

FWIW, what I'm doing trying to do is isolate talent independent of situation. So the Pats always give me headaches.

He went 1.4 Saturday night (first WR taken) in our rookie/FA draft. We were all quite shocked by that. Also was taken before Bell and Ball.

Finally got around to gathering the data on Thompkins and plugging him into the WR database and thought I'd post this here instead of starting a new topic.

I took a glance at Thompkins's vitals earlier and he didn't register at all as a likely prospect, and he was already rostered in every league, so I'm just now getting around to it. For reference here are Thompkins exact measurements from the combine:

Based on these numbers I believe Thompkins's best comparables are WRs between 6'0" and 6'2" tall; with low BMIs; decent, but not elite speed; average to low explosion; and an average to poor NCAA receiving metric. There are several of them and I was surprised at who they are. I expected it would filled with NFL nobodies, but it's not a bad list:

Jerome Pathon

Brian Hartline

Marc Mariani

Andre Davis

Darius Passmore

Demetrius Williams

Reggie Brown

Marvin Jones

Steve Breaston

Based on his initial success with the Patriots and that he's seemingly in line for a meaningful role this year I think it's probably safe to focus on the guys in bold. As a group these are mostly players who make their living on sudden change of direction and their ability to get create lateral separation, and who have been nice complementary players in the NFL at one time or another. However, despite the occasional big game or hype none of them emerged to become big-time NFL #1 WRs.

It's impossible to ever say someone won't have a sudden bout of unaccountable development -- it does happen -- but the odds are always against it and in this case may be even moreso as Thompkins enters the NFL at 25 years old. I believe that in terms of overall talent level it's far more likely than not than Thompkins is a role player similar to some of the players on the list above.

Having said that the Brady/Belichik Pats offense is clearly more than the sum or its parts and they've made exceptional use of niche role players in the past which makes committing to everything above pretty uncomfortable. But forced to make an up or down call, my take is that the Thompkins hype may be at its apex and that he'll prove be a useful, but ultimately replaceable, role player.
Nothing nice to say, zero actual comparative research and bogus facts.

He went 1.4 Saturday night (first WR taken) in our rookie/FA draft. We were all quite shocked by that. Also was taken before Bell and Ball.
Who was the 2nd WR taken? When did Dobson go?

I haven't been impressed by Ball or Bell yet either. Its obviously not the safe pick.

Jerome Pathon

Brian Hartline

Marc Mariani

Andre Davis

Darius Passmore

Demetrius Williams

Reggie Brown

Marvin Jones

Steve Breaston

I'm confirming his post from a source of mine. It's legit.

Jerome Pathon

Brian Hartline

Marc Mariani

Andre Davis

Darius Passmore

Demetrius Williams

Reggie Brown

Marvin Jones

Steve Breaston

I'm confirming his post from a source of mine. It's legit.
heh good one.

Show me the NCAA performance score listed here http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft/combine I can't seem to find it

Who was the 2nd WR taken? When did Dobson go?

I haven't been impressed by Ball or Bell yet either. Its obviously not the safe pick.
Tavon went at 1.6. Hopkins went at 2.1. I can not remember when Dobson went, maybe 3rd round?

In redraft I was just offered Seattle d for thompkins. Thinking of pulling that trigger since defenses in our league can either make or break you with negative points if they get throttled.

Winning IS Everything said:
In my re-draft league last night, we had a round where we just picked rookies. Thompkins was the 4th rookie off the board. Ahead of Austin, Gio, Patterson.

To go off on that tangent, we did a bit earlier so rehash some maybe....

Every (or seemingly every one) Pats beat reporter compared him to Ocho at some point. Their height and weight are the same on some sites, a few pounds different on others and...as close as can be when comparing measurables.

BMI is a completely useless stat when solely used to predict success and we've proven that here time and again. There is far more to playing in the league than just height and weight.

I found the Ocho comparison particularly interesting since watching camp or OTAs or whatnot stirred up the same thought in each of them. Of course, person one could have said to person two that he looks like ocho and the buzz could have spread, but nonetheless most of them wrote about it.

I don't recall Chad Johnson being the fastest or the highest leaper or quickest in the cones or any of that stuff when he came into the league. I can't recall when the combine started.

KTs prior lack of success may look like a hindrance and in some ways one could argue that, but there's also precious little tape on the guy and that gives a master planner like BB an edge too. Whatever his prior history, it's been documented a few times that he has a strong understanding of the game. Very many times people commented that he looks like a veteran. This right here (if anything from his Cincy time) is enormous. Most rookie WRs will struggle and make tons of mistakes. It seems as though he won't or that his game is far more mature than most rookies. There's an article or two (posted previously) where Brady (IIRC) was praising KT for his awareness in bringing his DB out of the way so that a play could be made. His understanding of the game, most of all, seems to have helped him develop a rapport with Brady rather quickly. He also has three rookie counterparts with the Pats that are quite talented. It was a rare scenario where we had other talented rookie WRs right there doing the same thing and this offered the reporters a means to .compare them all.

Sure we can sit here and want 10,000 catches and a million yards in college, but the paragraph above is what we ultimately want from rookie WRs. If all we needed were college stats to predict success then there would be Hawaii WRs starting for every NFL team and Oklahoma would actually produce decent NFL WRs. Stats and measurables (and really just about anything you can quantify even if it's some sort of family history in the game) all are important in predraft evaluation. During the games and in training camp they don't matter much at all.

I'm still riding the Ryan Broyles train and have him in dynasty leagues. Feel free to project him to be the next Malcolm Kelly or the next Juaqin Iglesias or Mark Clayton even. You can't always go on college stats.

UDFA WRs don't walk on and start in the NFL. KT is.

UDFA QBs don't walk on and start in the NFL, Buffalo may possibly have the first.

No team would ever enter a season with five rookie targets for their QB, certainly not a top offense- the Pats will.

Maybe "this isn't supposed to happen" can be said in disgust as offseason predictions completely flop here, but the Pats are about to start an UDFA TE and WR so you "have to" switch to in-season mode and brush off any bad projections you made in June. They just don't matter anymore.

I fully expect EBF to post a video of him doing a cartwheel if Boyce has an awesome game in November and supplants KT. IMO that's a far more pertinent a discussion point then revisiting the draft as the season is about to get underway.

Every (or seemingly every one) Pats beat reporter compared him to Ocho at some point.
I did the exact same thing. While watching him in the first couplle preseason games I thought "Chad Johnson".

Its the style of his body, the fluidity of his movements and how he has a bit of "nastyness" towards getting to the ball.

While he doesnt seem like a guy who fights like a strongman for the ball and doesnt overpower anyone, he does seem like he has some scrappyness. Something Brandon Lloyd had absolutely no ability/want to do.

The Ocho comparison is obvious for the beat writers because he was almost the exact same height/weight and he wore the same number. The one thing I think Thompkins lacks that Ocho possessed was deep speed. Chad bombed at the combine, but he's one of those guys for whom the measurables didn't tell the story. He didn't test well, but he was fast and explosive. He averaged 21.6 YPC in his one season at Oregon State, which is an extremely high figure. People in the Pac-10 were terrified of him.

The impression that I get from looking at the college stats/workout numbers and reading the camp reports about Thompkins is that he's more of a technician than a raw athlete. More of a possession receiver than a home run threat. Of course people are going to say I'm biased and all of that, but I tend to agree with Rob's conclusion. He profiles as more of a useful system player than a dominant #1. Whether or not that will be enough to propel him to FF stardom, I don't know. I think there are basically two types of useful FF WRs: true #1 targets who would thrive in any context (i.e. Fitz, VJax, Dez, Marshall) and solid complementary guys whose numbers are highly dependent on their supporting cast and usage (i.e. Cobb, Decker, Welker, Hartline, Hilton, Tampa Mike).

I don't think Thompkins has conventional #1 talent. He doesn't have the standout size or the elite track speed. However, the success of guys like Cobb and Decker as secondary options with an elite QB should be a cause for optimism. If Hernandez were still around I would say the pie is too small for the #4 target to threaten the 1000 yard barrier, but with just Amendola and Gronk in front of him, there's more hope for him to put up some useful numbers. Of course, that assumes that he can hold off Boyce and Dobson indefinitely, which I'm not totally convinced on. Certainly the opportunity is there to seize, but it's not like Hartline in Miami last year or Stevie Johnson in Buffalo where a total lack of viable alternatives ensures solid production. He will need to deliver, or else the other guys will cut into his numbers.

The Ocho comparison is obvious for the beat writers because he was almost the exact same height/weight and he wore the same number. The one thing I think Thompkins lacks that Ocho possessed was deep speed. Chad bombed at the combine, but he's one of those guys for whom the measurables didn't tell the story. He didn't test well, but he was fast and explosive. He averaged 21.6 YPC in his one season at Oregon State, which is an extremely high figure. People in the Pac-10 were terrified of him.

The impression that I get from looking at the college stats/workout numbers and reading the camp reports about Thompkins is that he's more of a technician than a raw athlete. More of a possession receiver than a home run threat. Of course people are going to say I'm biased and all of that, but I tend to agree with Rob's conclusion. He profiles as more of a useful system player than a dominant #1. Whether or not that will be enough to propel him to FF stardom, I don't know. I think there are basically two types of useful FF WRs: true #1 targets who would thrive in any context (i.e. Fitz, VJax, Dez, Marshall) and solid complementary guys whose numbers are highly dependent on their supporting cast and usage (i.e. Cobb, Decker, Welker, Hartline, Hilton, Tampa Mike).

I don't think Thompkins has conventional #1 talent. He doesn't have the standout size or the elite track speed. However, the success of guys like Cobb and Decker as secondary options with an elite QB should be a cause for optimism. If Hernandez were still around I would say the pie is too small for the #4 target to threaten the 1000 yard barrier, but with just Amendola and Gronk in front of him, there's more hope for him to put up some useful numbers. Of course, that assumes that he can hold off Boyce and Dobson indefinitely, which I'm not totally convinced on. Certainly the opportunity is there to seize, but it's not like Hartline in Miami last year or Stevie Johnson in Buffalo where a total lack of viable alternatives ensures solid production. He will need to deliver, or else the other guys will cut into his numbers.
Yes, because you are.

What is/was Welker's BMI and measurables and how did that relate to his production in this offense? Does anyone care or do they look at the 110+ receptions year in and year out because he could get open with an accurate QB throwing him the rock.....

What is/was Welker's BMI and measurables and how did that relate to his production in this offense? Does anyone care or do they look at the 110+ receptions year in and year out because he could get open with an accurate QB throwing him the rock.....
I could make a case for Welker being somewhat similar to Deion Branch and Jeremy Kerley, but really he (and A Foster) are just great examples that sometimes guys beat the odds.

Those are guys I'll just miss on. You can't follow everyone, and you can't roster everyone.

And yes, it's not surprising that Thompkins looks like #85 -- they're physically very similar. I just don't believe Thompkins has anywhere near Johnson's ability as a receiver.

Welker was just a role player in Miami and was VERY fantasy relevant in NE. Now we shouldn't be crowing KT just yet, but one has to at least give him something in the range of a Welker w/Brady ceiling, just not quite the Welker w/Brady floor. Nothing wrong with that assumption until we see a few games, no? We can all dream can't we?

P.S. I would take Hartline w/Brady in a heartbeat too in the late rounds of a redraft. If this was Hartline he would be going in the 6-8 rounds I assume?

Welker was just a role player in Miami and was VERY fantasy relevant in NE. Now we shouldn't be crowing KT just yet, but one has to at least give him something in the range of a Welker w/Brady ceiling, just not quite the Welker w/Brady floor. Nothing wrong with that assumption until we see a few games, no? We can all dream can't we?
yeah, why shouldn't he rewite the nfl record books?

Excellent post.
IIRC his BMI is actually pretty good. his other measureables, not so much. Im sure Steve Largents measurable were awful, some people can just play

I feel like I may have reached for him a bit too early. Got him @ 7.6

Cecil Shorts, Boldin, Sid Rice, Stevie Johnson, Tavon Austin and Mike Williams followed. I personally like the gamble of Thomkins over these others.

For those of us who drafted him, best of luck to us all.

So who's starting him this week? and with confidence? I am contemplating between him and Hartline as my flex. IN a PPR league, I always use WR as my flex.

I feel like I may have reached for him a bit too early. Got him @ 7.6

Cecil Shorts, Boldin, Sid Rice, Stevie Johnson, Tavon Austin and Mike Williams followed. I personally like the gamble of Thomkins over these others.
Yes, you definitely reached for him. This is why KT is no longer a value pick, he's basically expected to perform like a WR3.

:yes:

A player or two in that receiving core is going to end up a major value in PPR leagues. (And that's even if Gronk is healthy)

Not to get too off topic of this thread, but I went into my draft tonight thinking all the Pats targets were a little underrated and decided I may just try to get all of them, virtually guaranteeing a couple solid starters.

I ended up missing out on Gronk (went mid 4th in 12 team PPR) but was able to nab Amendola (5), Vereen (8), Thompkins(10), and Sudfeld(14) without blowing a whole lot of premium type picks. (Dobson went undrafted.)
Craig you've been around forever-no disrespect intended here: Why would you make a rookie/guppie type mistake and draft so many from one team? Do you have the Pats getting 40 points a game? What's your thinking here?
I don't think that what team the guys play on matters if their anticipated value relative to cost is +. I happen to think all the skill guys except Ridley are undervalued and have ended up with 3 or even 4 patriots on a couple teams.

I'm not sure what point everybody's trying to make in here, but ocho comparisons are not a positive in new england
When he was 33 and he couldn't learn the playbook.

Thompkins also has almost the exact 40 time combine result as Ocho. 4.57 seconds vs 4.54.

Ocho Vertical Jump: 33

Broad Jump: 09'00"

20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.14

3-Cone Drill: 7.51

KT Vertical Jump: 33 1/2

Broad Jump: 10'01"

20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.21

3-Cone Drill: 6.88

That 3-cone is on display when he releases off the line.

:yes:

A player or two in that receiving core is going to end up a major value in PPR leagues. (And that's even if Gronk is healthy)

Not to get too off topic of this thread, but I went into my draft tonight thinking all the Pats targets were a little underrated and decided I may just try to get all of them, virtually guaranteeing a couple solid starters.

I ended up missing out on Gronk (went mid 4th in 12 team PPR) but was able to nab Amendola (5), Vereen (8), Thompkins(10), and Sudfeld(14) without blowing a whole lot of premium type picks. (Dobson went undrafted.)
Craig you've been around forever-no disrespect intended here: Why would you make a rookie/guppie type mistake and draft so many from one team? Do you have the Pats getting 40 points a game? What's your thinking here?
I don't think that what team the guys play on matters if their anticipated value relative to cost is +. I happen to think all the skill guys except Ridley are undervalued and have ended up with 3 or even 4 patriots on a couple teams.
Yeah, Craig had a good response. I figured he would, it just looked odd initially.

I disagree re Amendola and Gronkowski being undervalued.

In my re-draft league last night, we had a round where we just picked rookies. Thompkins was the 4th rookie off the board. Ahead of Austin, Gio, Patterson.
The hype is unreal!

Never really seen anything like this for an UDFA in fantasy before the season.

His ADP is 103 according to MFL. Anyone that thought he wouldn't be drafted in the 7/8/9 rounds was wrong as ####. It happened. I don't think he's worth it, but he's getting drafted there anyway.

The hype is unreal!

Never really seen anything like this for an UDFA in fantasy before the season.
I'm glad I'm not drafting now.

I wouldn't draft a WR before a RB in dynasty so idk about the Gio part.

Patterson raises serious concern for not beating out Simpson(and BTW curiously no one likes Simpson). Austin hasn't done squat in preseason. Many people will go with a player that produced so I suppose I can see some logic in this. Here's a rook (KT) that beat out two other rooks (Dobson and Boyce) that they possibly liked. I'm not saying I agree, just there is evidence of some logic.

Rookie darlings for the most part have stunk this preseason. It's at a point where you have to look at the stats and (before they even start an NFL game) say "oh cmon they're not that bad, they're better than some 3rd stringers for sure."

Eifert doesn't beat out Gresham (I didn't think he would but others did) and plays in just two games. Zero catches in one and then 3 for 32 yards in the other game. Articles still say the Bengals will use two TEs Eifert is a weapon they'll use a lot etc. -nothing is different from draft day.

Stacy in STL. http://www.nfl.com/player/zacstacy/2540273/gamelogs still 3rd string which is about where he was the day he was drafted and those stats do nothing for him.

I can go on and on. This is about the worst preseason I can ever recall for rookies. I'm not sure if there's a trend toward keeping them healthy and not showing opposing Ds much or what, but oh so many had bad preseasons statistically. It's a little unnerving for a rookie draft I'm sure.

Hoping for the best for him, I drank the Koolaid and got him in all three of my leagues. His value obviously fluctuates significantly in leagues, as I got him near the end of the draft in all 3 (earliest was the 11th)

Was able to snag Thompkins in redraft Monday night. He was just sitting there in 10 team/15 round at my turn in the 13th. Grabbed him, HOU K, and the IND Def.

I hadn't heard a thing about him until I read this thread Saturday morning.

Ive been able to get him fairly cheaply in 3/5 of my leagues, one is a dynasty, so thats potentially good. I like this kid, i think he'll be solid in NE. He'll likely get all the same action B Lloyd was getting, so, if he has fewer drops than lloyd he should be fairly productive, imo

*Lloyd 2012 stats

74/911/4

Snagged him late and will likely start him over Miles Austin this week (mistakingly drafted Austin after already having Romo and Dez...don't want all my eggs in that Dallas basket)

Was able to snag Thompkins in redraft Monday night. He was just sitting there in 10 team/15 round at my turn in the 13th. Grabbed him, HOU K, and the IND Def.

I hadn't heard a thing about him until I read this thread Saturday morning.
You must have been traveling in Ulan Bator for a couple of months if you haven't heard of Thompkins. Kid has been tearing it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread