What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Top 5 Dyno (Each Position) (1 Viewer)

False Start

Footballguy
QB

Rodgers

Brees

Luck

Manning

Newton

RB

Charles

McCoy

ADP

Forte

Lacy

WR

Calvin

Green

Thomas

Gordon

Dez

TE

Graham

Gronk

Thomas

Davis

Witten

That's mine, what is yours?

Rodgers

Newton

Luck

Brees

RG3

Shady

Charles

Gio

Lacy

*Gurley in devy leagues

Martin

Calvin

Dez

Green

Julio

Thomas

Graham

Gronk

Thomas

Reed

Eifert

Weakest collection of dynasty RBs since I've been playing. I love Lacy and Gio, but the fact that they are top 5 says more about the position as a whole than it does the two of them.

Just a few years ago the top RBs were: AP, CJ, MJD, Foster, Rice, McCoy, Charles, DMC, and Forte...all in their prime.

Weakest collection of dynasty RBs since I've been playing. I love Lacy and Gio, but the fact that they are top 5 says more about the position as a whole than it does the two of them.

Just a few years ago the top RBs were: AP, CJ, MJD, Foster, Rice, McCoy, Charles, DMC, and Forte...all in their prime.
It's a good thing next years draft is full of RB talent. We desperately need it, like you said.

Rodgers

Luck

Newton

Foles

RG3

McCoy

Lacy

Gio

Martin

Forte

AJG

Megatron

Julio

Gordon

Dez

Graham

Gronk

Cameron

Reed

Green

TE

[SIZE=small]Jimmy Graham[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]Rob Gronkowski[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]Vernon Davis[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]Tyler Eifert[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]Jordan Cameron[/SIZE]

WR

[SIZE=small]Calvin Johnson[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]Dez Bryant[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]Julio Jones[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]AJ Green[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]Demaryius Thomas[/SIZE]

RB

[SIZE=small]LeSean McCoy[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]Jamal Charles[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]Giovani Bernard[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]Doug Martin[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]Eddie Lacy[/SIZE]

QB

[SIZE=small]Aaron Rodgers[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]Andrew Luck[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]Cam Newton[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]Drew Brees[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]Robert Griffin III[/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
QB

Rodgers

Brees

Luck

Manning

Newton

RB

Charles

McCoy

ADP

Forte

Lacy

WR

Calvin

Green

Thomas

Gordon

Dez

TE

Graham

Gronk

Thomas

Davis

Witten

That's mine, what is yours?
:This is close to mine,

1. Rodgers

2. Luck

3. Newton

4. Brees

5. Kaepermick/Wilson

1. McCoy

2. Charles

3. Lacy

4. Martin

5. Bernard

1. Green

2. Calvin

3. Julio

4. Thomas

5. Gordon

1. Graham

2. Gronk

3. Thomas

4/5. Eifert/Ertz

Manning isn't even close to top 5 for me, he is already said it is up to the doctors whether or not he plays next year or beyond. I am not paying or drafting a guy top 5 that could retire next month after a doctors visit.

I can't put ADP or Forte top 5 I have Peterson 7th.

I hate Dez and can't put him top 5, he should probably be there though.

I want to put Reed in the top 5 but I can't, the concussion issue is scary and I think now that Crabtree is back and Boldin is coming back I think Davis is going to fall hard. He is top 3 talent, but won't get the looks.

A few years ago Rice, McCoy, DMC, and Charles were the exact same as Lacy, Gio, Bell and Martin

I can't put ADP or Forte top 5 I have Peterson 7th.
I can't put Martin in over Peterson. Even though he's 4 years younger I expect Peterson to have more value over the rest of their careers.

It's a good thing next years draft is full of RB talent. We desperately need it, like you said.
Rbs have short lives. That's just how it goes. But I don't think it means weak by any means. Every player mentioned could have very strong runs and I think a few guys are being left off just because of the natural biases people build this time of year when "if you ain't 24, you ain't nothing" types of mentalities sink in.

Morris, Foster, Martin...all could easily be dominant RBs this year. Matthews, David Wilson, Le'veon Bell...all could make strong, strong plays.

I actually think that, from top to bottom, the RB position in fantasy is as strong as it had been in a long, long time. When you have guys like DMAC, CJ, MJD, Foster, Rice, Murray, etc being absolutely glossed over and not even in the conversation, that should tell us that there is a lot of overlooking going on.

A few years ago Rice, McCoy, DMC, and Charles were the exact same as Lacy, Gio, Bell and Martin
I don't agree with that, personally. SSOG did a study that showed the average above baseline RB is years older than he was a few years ago.

Lacy would not be top 5 in the names I mentioned above, which doesn't include Mendy, Stewart, DeAngelo, Jackson, Mathews, Moreno, Wells, Greene, who were all in the mix a few years ago.

Every player mentioned could have very strong runs and I think a few guys are being left off just because of the natural biases people build this time of year when "if you ain't 24, you ain't nothing" types of mentalities sink in.

I actually think that, from top to bottom, the RB position in fantasy is as strong as it had been in a long, long time.
SSOG did the work. The average RB is not as productive and is older. No natural biases there.

This year (2014) or next year (2015)? If it's 2015, could you give me some names?

This year (2014) or next year (2015)? If it's 2015, could you give me some names?
Next: Gurley, Yeldon, Ajayi, Linwood, Davis, Gordon, Williams, K.Marshall, B.Marshall, to name a few.
I really don't do any homework on guys until they declare and honestly are drafted by an NFL team. Are these guys that much better than the top 4-5 coming out this year? My understanding is that this year's class of WRs is one of the best in a long time, is next year's class of RBs that same idea for RBs?

Next: Gurley, Yeldon, Ajayi, Linwood, Davis, Gordon, Williams, K.Marshall, B.Marshall, to name a few.
I really don't do any homework on guys until they declare and honestly are drafted by an NFL team. Are these guys that much better than the top 4-5 coming out this year? My understanding is that this year's class of WRs is one of the best in a long time, is next year's class of RBs that same idea for RBs?
I'm in the same boat, but I can tell you, I have heard the names Gurley and Yeldon a whole lot. I think these guys might be really special, but I don't know b/c I don't watch HS or College ball.

I'd add D. Johnson to this and you pretty much have the heavy hitters as of now. Gurley, Gordon and Davis are all better than anyone in the past 2 drafts IMO. A few of the others could be as well.

This years RB class is shaping up to be solid, but it just doesn't compare to next years class, imo.

Gurley is the best RB prospect since Trent, at least. He's an elite prospect, which is rare at the RB spot these days.

After Gurley, there are 5-7 guys who could be in the mix for first back taken this year, in my opinion. Mike Davis, Jay Ajayi, and Shock Linwood being a few of my favorites. Some really love TJ Yeldon and Melvin Gordon, and think they could be 1st round NFL picks.

I'm in the same boat, but I can tell you, I have heard the names Gurley and Yeldon a whole lot. I think these guys might be really special, but I don't know b/c I don't watch HS or College ball.
Gurley is a monster and is clearly the best RB in years IMO. Yeldon is a guy that was out the gate hot and because he is at Bama got a lot of recognition. I've soured on him a great deal over the past year to be honest. Still, he's probably on par or better than the top guys in this years group. Gordon, Wisconsin is the other guy you should be looking at. He would have been the top RB this year had he come out.

This years RB class is shaping up to be solid, but it just doesn't compare to next years class, imo.

Gurley is the best RB prospect since Trent, at least. He's an elite prospect, which is rare at the RB spot these days.

After Gurley, there are 5-7 guys who could be in the mix for first back taken this year, in my opinion. Mike Davis, Jay Ajayi, and Shock Linwood being a few of my favorites. Some really love TJ Yeldon and Melvin Gordon, and think they could be 1st round NFL picks.
I went really heavy into trading for picks in this draft thinking it was the best offensive draft overall in like a decade. I currently have the 1, 2, 5, 7, 8, 14 and 15 in a 10 team league. I may have to trade some of those late firsts and early 2nds into 1sts next year......

I was hoping for more of peoples Top 5. Love the discussion but 23 posts and only five Top 5 lists, lets get some more of those while having some great discussion.

Gurley is a monster and is clearly the best RB in years IMO. Yeldon is a guy that was out the gate hot and because he is at Bama got a lot of recognition. I've soured on him a great deal over the past year to be honest. Still, he's probably on par or better than the top guys in this years group. Gordon, Wisconsin is the other guy you should be looking at. He would have been the top RB this year had he come out.
Cool. Thanks for the info.

Some of you guys do realize Forte is almost 29 at the start of the season, correct?
By the sounds of it I can roll with Forte for the next 2 years and then get one of these 2015 rookie RBs coming out and be better off than having some of these 2nd year guys.

I'll throw my hat in...

QB -

Rodgers, Luck, Cam, Brees, R Wilson

RB -

Shady, Charles, Martin, Gio, Lacy

WR -

Calvin, Green, Gordon, D Thomas, Dez

TE -

Graham, Gronk, Thomas, Reed, Davis

This crop of TEs seems a bit awkward, in terms of startup value. After Graham, you have to make the call on Gronk's injury concerns. After the big 2, everyone has a lot of questions, or is getting up in age. I'd almost suggest playing a numbers game, but it's no fun filling up your rosters with TE prospects.

Witten seems to be a bit undervalued and I'd feel good about him as my TE1, while I mine for a replacement.

Brees, Rodgers, Luck, Newton, Stafford

McCoy, Charles, Peterson, Lacy, Bernard

Calvin, Dez, Green, Julio, Thomas

Graham, Gronk, Thomas, Davis, Cameron

This crop of TEs seems a bit awkward, in terms of startup value. After Graham, you have to make the call on Gronk's injury concerns. After the big 2, everyone has a lot of questions, or is getting up in age. I'd almost suggest playing a numbers game, but it's no fun filling up your rosters with TE prospects.

Witten seems to be a bit undervalued and I'd feel good about him as my TE1, while I mine for a replacement.
I know exactly what you mean - and I took the numbers game approach. I have Finley, Cook and Fleener, and will likely draft Ebron as well. Each is a hit or miss type guy.

Some of you guys do realize Forte is almost 29 at the start of the season, correct?
By the sounds of it I can roll with Forte for the next 2 years and then get one of these 2015 rookie RBs coming out and be better off than having some of these 2nd year guys.
that doesn't mean forte should be a top 5 dynasty rb though does it?
If Forte is a top 5 RB in 2014 and in 2015, why wouldn't he be a top 5 dynasty RB now? The RB position has so much turnover year to year, who knows what the position will be in 2016.

If you were presented with two options, owning Gurley and Forte or owning Lacy, then sure. Otherwise that statement is pretty irrelevant to how the RBs should be ranked.

Do titles over the next two years count any less than titles 3 years from now or later?

Do titles over the next two years count any less than titles 3 years from now or later?
That's kinda the way I'm leaning myself. I know what I have in Forte. He's more than proven, and while he is getting up there in age, I feel he still has 2 more years of very good (RB1 type) production, and a 3rd where he'd be a very good "flex" type player.

You can't win a title owning Lacy or Martin instead of Forte? It's not like people are ranking guys that don't produce in their top 5.

If Forte is a top 5 RB in 2014 and in 2015, why wouldn't he be a top 5 dynasty RB now? The RB position has so much turnover year to year, who knows what the position will be in 2016.
because he's probably only got 2 years left. by that reasoning andre johnson is a top 5 wr and tony gonzalez was a top 5 te last season. very redraft mentality.

are you planning on getting nothing from lacy or gio or any of the guys whom forte is taking their place in the top 5?

I am speaking just for my list but I don't think Forte will be a top 5 back the next 2 years. You talk about all this turnover Forte is apart of that. This is the first time he has finished top 5 for running back scoring since his rookie year in 2008.

Every player mentioned could have very strong runs and I think a few guys are being left off just because of the natural biases people build this time of year when "if you ain't 24, you ain't nothing" types of mentalities sink in.

I actually think that, from top to bottom, the RB position in fantasy is as strong as it had been in a long, long time.
SSOG did the work. The average RB is not as productive and is older. No natural biases there.
I don't think I've read this investigative report on the subject but my point is more to say that there are a LOT of players out there with proven track records right now and some of them are likely to rebound, making the overall group much stronger than people discuss.

Doing a study 5 years ago would result in different results now, as it would maybe 5 years from now but the collective group of talent at the position is still impressive. Somwhere on the bottom of the top 20 or 25 players is probably a name like DMAC but even at #23 or whatever, he has the talent (and has done it before) to where he could be a top 5 RB in fantasy. To me, that is pretty strong representation and competition.

I think we get caught up in recency too much. We look at a guy like Shady or Charles or Lacy and say "wow, what they did last year...nobody is near as good" but on the other hadn, weren't we saying the exact same thing about Doug Martin just 10 months ago? And now he isn't even in this discussion? And then you take a guy like DMAC or Chris Johnson and you put them in Atlanta...and Atlanta plays like Atlanta can when healthy and Chris Johnson ends up with 1400/12 and a handful of big 40-50 yard runs and catches. At that point he is clearly right back in this conversation.

When I look around the landscape of RBs in fantasy I see as many if not more guys who CAN perform at a high level as I ever had. There have been many years where you count 4-7 guys and say "gotta get one of these cause its a steep drop off." Right now, though, I can build a legitimate list of 20 RBs who can easily be top 10 depending on situation. Even a guy like Ben Tate who has not even been mentioned yet. Put him in New York and what might happen? Or what IF (yeah, might be a big if) TRICH actually looks like the guy 95% of the world was slobbering over 18 months ago? There is a lot of talent out there. There just aren't that many buzz-worthy stories to hold the lamen man's attention.

Aaron Rodgers

Andrew Luck

Cam Newton

Mattthew Stafford

Colin Kaepernick

LeSean McCoy

Jamaal Charles

Eddie Lacy

Doug Martin

Gio Bernard

AJ Green

Calvin Johnson

DeMaryius Thomas

Julio Jones

Dez Bryant

Jimmy Graham

Julius Thomas

Jordan Cameron

Rob Gronkowski

Jordan Reed

I am speaking just for my list but I don't think Forte will be a top 5 back the next 2 years. You talk about all this turnover Forte is apart of that. This is the first time he has finished top 5 for running back scoring since his rookie year in 2008.
I do. He catches a ton of balls and has elite talent on the field. He will have played most of 2014 at age 28 and 2015 he will be 29. He only had one year over 300 carries and manages to avoid big hits for the most part. In Trestmans offense he has been given the chance to score and get a lot of goal line carries. He is a Top 5 back for anyone who likes money now. If you like money 3 years from now, he may not be your best bet. Thats the fun of dynasties is to make changes every year, you can always trade vets for some value instead of ALWAYS sitting on young guys, some who never pan out.

I don't think I've read this investigative report on the subject but my point is more to say that there are a LOT of players out there with proven track records right now and some of them are likely to rebound, making the overall group much stronger than people discuss.
I don't disagree with this much, but stand by my statement: This crop is as weak as it's been in my time. LeSean McCoy is widely accepted as the top dynasty back. 3 years ago he would only be one of 5-7 guys with an argument.

We're talking about a 25 YO Adrian Peterson. 25 YO CJ2K coming off a 2,000 yard season. 25 YO MJD. 24YO Arian Foster. 23 YO Ray Rice. 24 YO Matt Forte. 23 YO Jamaal Charles. 22 YO LeSean McCoy coming off a top 3 PPG season. 23 YO DMC who was in the MVP race for a stretch. 22 YO Jonathan Stewart who looked like a future stud. 24 YO Mendenhall, who was young and steady.

Where does Eddie Lacy fit in? Nowhere close to the top 5, where he's found today.

ETA: Think about that; a 25 YO Adrian Freaking Peterson wasn't the unquestioned top dyansty back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rodgers

Newton

Luck

Brees

Foles

McCoy

Charles

Martin

Gio

Lacy

Calvin

Dez

Gordon

AJ Green

DT

Gronk

Graham

Cameron

Thomas

Green

QB:

Rodgers

Brees

Newton

Luck

Manning

RB:

Charles

McCoy

Martin

Peterson

Forte

WR:

Calvin

Green

Julio

Dez

Thomas

TE:

Graham

Thomas

Gronk

Davis

Cameron

QB

Rodgers

Luck

Newton

Brees

Stafford

RB

McCoy

Charles

Lacy

Gio

Forte

WR

Calvin

Julio

AJ Green

Demaryious

Dez

Gordon

I list 6 at WR because iMO thats the top tier

TE

Graham

Gronk

Julius

Vern

Cameron

WR

Calvin

Julio

AJ Green

Demaryious

Dez

Gordon

I list 6 at WR because iMO thats the top tier
WR seems to have the most concensus in the rankings - some version of these 6 guys have been in every ranking so far.
I'd agree with that. I think the one with the hardest top 5 to pin point is TE. QB has a bunch of depth so it's hard to argue with anyone's top 5 and then RB is a mess after Charles, McCoy, AP and Forte.

I think these guys are the clearly elite players at their positions, though a few of them have question marks... after them I think it gets muddled pretty quickly and you can make a lot of arguments for different guys...

Rodgers

Charles

McCoy

Calvin

Thomas

Dez

Green

Julio

Gordon

Graham

Gronk

Users who are viewing this thread