What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2014 World Cup Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Any word on Altidore? He is pretty much done?
They said during the game they would have to scan him tomorrow.The way he went down it looked like a tear :(
I'm a football guy, and when I see a play like that, I immediately think 2 weeks minimum. Which puts him out for the next two games, best case scenario.

I don't thjnk we will see him again in the World Cup. :(
He rode off on a stretcher. He'd better be out two weeks.
don't over think the stretcher thing. It has nothing to do with serious injuries. It was just something FIFA employed to get players off the field faster. 99/100 times it is not needed as we think of a stretcher being needed for a broken neck.

There is no question Jozy was hurt though and badly.
Also be aware that getting kicked in the shin hurts like heck without causing any real or lasting damage. While soccer has a lot of flopping, it's not at all unusual for a guy to be in significant legititmate pain one minute and just fine the next.
I agree.

I also think new fans confuse players who legitimately get knocked down/fouled as flopping because of the overacting they do after they have been fouled to sell it.

Sure there is diving, but it sometimes reads like people think every time a player is tripped he is diving.

The Donovan decision will always be a stain on Klinsman. There is literally no chance that Julian Green is more ready to make an impact than Landon is, even at 32 years old. He is in Brazil because he was promised a spot in order to get him to choose the US. The fact that Klinsman claims otherwise makes him look like a fool. Obviously he can't come out and say it what the real deal is, but that's his own fault. He's the one who made the deal to get JG on board.

The idea that Brad Davis is better than Donovan is also silly, but at least you can point to a specific soccer-related situation where you could argue that Davis is better (FK that requires a left footed player). Other than maybe a pure sprint, there probably isn't one thing that 19 year old Green does better than 32 year old Landon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Joe - what do you think of Klinsmann? Why?
I seriously don't know much about him other than he was a highly respected German player and then coach. I do think it's an interesting story for a German guy to be coaching the US as we play Germany. Was wondering how he was thought of from the fans.

J

The Donovan decision will always be a stain on Klinsman. There is literally no chance that Julian Green is more ready to make an impact than Landon is, even at 32 years old. He is in Brazil because he was promised a spot in order to get him to choose the US. The fact that Klinsman claims otherwise makes him look like a fool. Obviously he can't come out and say it what the real deal is, but that's his own fault. He's the one who made the deal to get JG on board.

The idea that Brad Davis is better than Donovan is also silly, but at least you can point to a specific soccer-related situation where you could argue that Davis is better (FK that requires a left footed player). Other than maybe a pure sprint, there probably isn't one thing that 19 year old Green does better than 32 year old Landon.
Interesting time to drop this in seeing as how the US won tonight. The only way Donovan was getting in the game tonight would have been in lieu of Zusi, who provided the assist on the game winner.

Otherwise, you're rehashing an argument we had weeks ago.

also Yedlin? :lmao:

so much like to give

An error occurredYou have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

In all seriousness, how is this team going to beat anyone good? The US got badly outplayed by a mediocre team. Portugal and Germany are much better. It will take another miraculous game to get out of this round. And if we somehow do make it out of this round, we get slaughtered next round. US soccer is still not ready to compete against the big boys. It was an exciting start to get our false hopes up though.
Was thinking the same thing. When I saw the time of possession, I couldn't believe it was only around 60/40 ghana. I thought it would've been over 80/20. That was one exciting finish, but damn, it was pretty miraculous we only gave up one goal.
60/40 is very lopsided. 70/30 is complete and total domination. I don't believe I have ever see 80/20 in a professional game.
For you soccer studs, is time of possession a primary metric you use to gauge a game? Seems like it would be.

J
It's an important metric. Not as important as chances created or shots on goal, but I think it's being downplayed here due to the game we just saw.

Time of possession is indicative of who controlled the play. With possession they obviously have to penetrate and take their chances, but it tells a lot about the flow of the game.

If one side has lots of chances created but low possession that means they are counter-attacking well. If one side has a lot of possession, but not many shots on goal they are generally lacking the creativity to break through.

Basically , you can read a lot from the simple gametime summaries.

Joe - what do you think of Klinsmann? Why?
I seriously don't know much about him other than he was a highly respected German player and then coach. I do think it's an interesting story for a German guy to be coaching the US as we play Germany. Was wondering how he was thought of from the fans.

J
Love him. Don't always agree with everything, but he has a position and makes a commitment. He's building something from the ground up with the US system, which is way more important than the latest result from the national team.

If they make it out of this group Klinsman will have been a stunning success regardless of Donovan.

He wants the players involved. I don't necessarily agree with the decision , but I can see why he made it .

Not sure about soccer protocol, but if Germany wins next match, any chance they field a total B squad vs US in 3rd game?
No - but I doubt they run up the score. i am guessing they would prefer to see Portugal out, than to see the US out - if it came to that. Klinsmann is still a favorite son, even if he is a bit wayward.
That was a question I had. How is Klinsman viewed among the German fans?

And for US fans, how is he seen? Was his hiring thought of as a great hire?

J
I think he's pretty overrated as a coach. Did nothing at Bayern, had a good run in 2006 with Germany, but his assistant Low(Germany's current manager) was the tactical guy behind that. So that's the extent of the hire for the USA team; a failed club manager and guy that can't manage a game.

IMO, he's poor at man management, tactical knowledge and training. We suffered three(maybe not Bedoya) non-contact injuries today, that's likely not a just a coincidence. Cramps are one thing, but if it's three pulled hamstrings, then yeah, that's on the manager, imo.

He was an outstanding player, but it's like getting Ted Williams to try and teach a kid to hit .400, it just doesn't happen.

Don't even mention Donovan to me
What's your estimate on how many fans feel like you on this?

J
I think it's hard to say he's overrated, at least among serious fans, because most of us know what he is and rate him appropriately. He's more of a leader/role model guy than a tactician. I think the main thing we want him to bring to US Soccer is a top to bottom program committed to excellence in this country, meaning from the USMNT down to the youth clubs our kids play in. That's a real goal for him and it will take a long time and tons of work, and I think honestly the deck is probably stacked against him. In terms of being a game day coach, I consider him more of a cheerleader, but that's the nature of the beast. He's running essentially an all-star team of guys that all have professional jobs elsewhere.

:yawn:

Donovan quit on the team - that is simply un-american, and un-german.

When Klinsmann selected Lehman over Kahn in 2006 the pressure and criticism he faced was 100x what he deals with here. He refers to the sports media here as "kittens" compared to what he faced in Germany with the National team and Bayern. Many Germans still hate him and say he cost them a title, even though I think Lehman played pretty well. This Donovan stuff will roll right off his back. Not to say I disagree with your comments otherwise, but I think the decision to drop Donovan will be a footnote by August and forgotten by the time this team plays next, regardless of how the team plays the next few weeks.

Not sure about soccer protocol, but if Germany wins next match, any chance they field a total B squad vs US in 3rd game?
No - but I doubt they run up the score. i am guessing they would prefer to see Portugal out, than to see the US out - if it came to that. Klinsmann is still a favorite son, even if he is a bit wayward.
That was a question I had. How is Klinsman viewed among the German fans?

And for US fans, how is he seen? Was his hiring thought of as a great hire?

J
I think he's pretty overrated as a coach. Did nothing at Bayern, had a good run in 2006 with Germany, but his assistant Low(Germany's current manager) was the tactical guy behind that. So that's the extent of the hire for the USA team; a failed club manager and guy that can't manage a game.

IMO, he's poor at man management, tactical knowledge and training. We suffered three(maybe not Bedoya) non-contact injuries today, that's likely not a just a coincidence. Cramps are one thing, but if it's three pulled hamstrings, then yeah, that's on the manager, imo.

He was an outstanding player, but it's like getting Ted Williams to try and teach a kid to hit .400, it just doesn't happen.

Don't even mention Donovan to me
What's your estimate on how many fans feel like you on this?

J
I think it's hard to say he's overrated, at least among serious fans, because most of us know what he is and rate him appropriately. He's more of a leader/role model guy than a tactician. I think the main thing we want him to bring to US Soccer is a top to bottom program committed to excellence in this country, meaning from the USMNT down to the youth clubs our kids play in. That's a real goal for him and it will take a long time and tons of work, and I think honestly the deck is probably stacked against him. In terms of being a game day coach, I consider him more of a cheerleader, but that's the nature of the beast. He's running essentially an all-star team of guys that all have professional jobs elsewhere.
Again, make the move to technical director and shape the USA youth system form there. He can't do it and manage the team. We currently do not have an independent technical director for US Soccer. If he thinks he can re-shape the US Soccer system, then have at it, but do it from the position that affords you the most success.

I'd rather him appoint Tab Ramos as manager on an 8 year deal with Klinsmann managing the US Soccer system from the technical directors role than this farce of him as technical director and manager. I don't think any other soccer federation allows/has this. They need to be two separate entities imo

Very unlikely US gets out of this group. I won't debate it but will make a wager with anyone who doesn't agree with me.

So does Jones play on the right side of the diamond against Portugal? Will Portugal agree to a bet where the winner gets Ronaldo-baby rights?

When Klinsmann selected Lehman over Kahn in 2006 the pressure and criticism he faced was 100x what he deals with here. He refers to the sports media here as "kittens" compared to what he faced in Germany with the National team and Bayern. Many Germans still hate him and say he cost them a title, even though I think Lehman played pretty well. This Donovan stuff will roll right off his back. Not to say I disagree with your comments otherwise, but I think the decision to drop Donovan will be a footnote by August and forgotten by the time this team plays next, regardless of how the team plays the next few weeks.
Now with the one win under his belt, everything you said is true.

But I think this had a chance to blow up in his face a bit if the US went 0-3 with a large negative GD.

Very unlikely US gets out of this group. I won't debate it but will make a wager with anyone who doesn't agree with me.
I don't think they will either but I certainly feel better now than I did 12 hours ago.

FWIW, since the WC expanded to 32 teams in 1998, 39 out of 46 teams that won their first game ended up advancing to second round.

There are people who know a million times more about soccer than I do, but I think JK's tactical knowledge is downplayed. I see a guy who had really changed the US approach from sitting back to attacking more and being more interesting.

I love that he's here.
Seems like an odd game to claim the team is attacking more after...
Well today wasn't the first game I've watched.
:lmao:

My son has two Donovan jerseys, US 2010 and Galaxy which he wore all the time. When Donovan was dropped he said he didn't think he could cheer for the US any more. On Wednesday, I gave him the eBay counterfeit Chinese 2014 Michael Bradley #4. He wore it to his last day of school on Wednesday and has worn the full kit every day all day since friday morning and is sleeping in it now. A real full kit %^&*@!. When I put him to bed he predicted we would beat Portugal 4-0 and Ghana would draw Germany, and we would beat Germany 1-0 to win the group.

So there's like 6 pages to catch up on - sorry if this post is a Honda.

Gaming out what the 3rd game situation will look like based on the 9 possible results of the 2nd game.

1) Germany Win, USA Win. Party time. Both Germany and USA will clinch.

2) Germany Win, USA Tie. Close to party time. USA will be able to advance with a win/tie vs Germany, a loss/tie by Portugal. If USA lose and Portugal win, USA still go through if combined results are a) a margin of 4 or less or b) a margin of 5 where Portugal does not outscore the USA by 3 or more. If the combined margin is 5 and Portgual outscores the USA by exactly 2 it goes to the dreaded drawing of lots. (example USA lose 4-1, Portugal wins 3-1).

3) Germany Win, USA Loss. USA would still make it with a) a Win over Germany and a Portugal tie/loss or b) a tie and a Portugal loss or c) a tie and Portugal tie (Provided the US loses to Portugal by 1 or 2) or d) a win over Germany, a Portugal win and the USA maintains a better goal-differential than either Portugal or Germany or 3) A loss, a Portugal loss and the USA maintains a better goal-differential than both Portugal and Ghana.

4) Germany Tie, USA win. Party time. USA will have clinched a spot. And a win or tie vs. Germany would give them the group title.

5) Germany Tie, USA tie. USA would clinch going through with a) a win or tie vs Germany or b) Portugal/Ghana end in a tie or c) a loss and a Portugal win with a favorable goals margin scenario as outlined in #2 above or d) a loss by exactly 1, a Ghana win by exactly 1 and the US ends up with the same number or more total goals than Ghana.

6) Germany Tie, USA loss. This is scarier. The USA would clinch a spot with a) a win over Germany or b) a tie and a Portugal tie provided the US lost to Portugal by 1 or 2 or c) a tie and a Ghana win provided the US loses to Portugal by exactly 1, Ghana wins by exactly 1, and the USA scores the same or more total goals as Ghana. In this scenario, a loss in game 3 definitely knocks the USA out.

7) Germany Loss, USA Win. Not quite as ideal a scenario as #1. The USA advances with a) a win or tie or b) a Ghana loss or tie or c) a loss and Ghana win provided I) USA has a better goal differential than Ghana or Germany or II) the USA has the same goal differential as the lesser of Ghana/Germany and has scored more goals or III) the USA has the same goal differential as Ghana but is behind Germany in a 3-way tie and has the name number of goals as Ghana. Basically while #1 means the USA can clinch on Sunday, this Scenario would mean in cannot.

8) Germany loss, USA tie. The USA advances with a) a win or tie or b) a loss and a Portugal win with a favorable goal-differential situation as in #2 or c) a loss by exactly 1, a Ghana/Portugal tie, and have the Germany loss to Ghana be by exactly 1 AND the US have the same or more total goals scored as Ghana.

9) Germany loss, USA loss. This means the standings will have everyone on 3 points. In this case the US advances with a) a win b) a tie and a Portugal/Ghana tie provided that either I) The USA lose by exactly 1 vs Portugal, Ghana wins by exactly 1 vs Germany and the USA has the same or more total goals than Ghana or II) The USA and Germany lose the 2nd game in such fashion that the USA ends up having a better goal differential than Germany or the same differential and more goals scored or the same goal differential, same goals scored and we win the drawing of lots or c) a tie and a Ghana win provided that he USA and Germany lose the 2nd game in such fashion that the USA ends up having a better goal differential than Germany or the same differential and more goals scored or the same goal differential, same goals scored and we win the drawing of lots or d) a tie and a Portugal win provided that he USA and Germany lose the 2nd game in such fashion that the USA ends up having a better goal differential than Germany or the same differential and more goals scored or the same goal differential, same goals scored and we win the drawing of lots. Basically in scenario 9 - the USA really will need to beat Germany.

So there you go :grad: :nerd:

-QG

Very unlikely = 10-1 odds?

In
I just checked a sports book and the US is the favorite to advance with Germany. -125

I will offer the US only at -120. It's a great deal.
You consider those odds "very unlikely"?
No. There's a difference between what I consider to be unlikely and the current odds.

I was surprised by the price.

:lol:

I didn't know what the price was when I made the statement. I checked after and offered a price that was better than the book I looked at. If someone wants to accept or counter, step up. Otherwise there's nothing I can do. :shrug:

If you think it's very unlikely, why not unload at your book? You're already getting a phenomenal price based on your read of the situation.

Getting 5 cents on the dollar here to bet with a stranger who might not pay doesn't seem worth it.

If you think it's very unlikely, why not unload at your book? You're already getting a phenomenal price based on your read of the situation.
My book isn't offering the bet. Maybe they will tomorrow. Plus, as you know, it's tough to do the reverse--Portugal + Germany is even money right now.

I already bet the under on own goals (3.5) in the tournament and I've seen two already in just the games I've watched--there could be more. :bag: I also bet the over on total goals (154.5)--that one seems to be ok.

Interesting time to drop this in seeing as how the US won tonight. The only way Donovan was getting in the game tonight would have been in lieu of Zusi, who provided the assist on the game winner.

Otherwise, you're rehashing an argument we had weeks ago.
In that formation? He's a sub for Bedoya or Clint. But that's hardly the only formation we could play.

My book isn't offering the bet. Maybe they will tomorrow. Plus, as you know, it's tough to do the reverse--Portugal + Germany is even money right now.

I already bet the under on own goals (3.5) in the tournament and I've seen two already in just the games I've watched--there could be more. :bag: I also bet the over on total goals (154.5)--that one seems to be ok.
Three own goals so far.

1 in Brazil Croatia

1 in Argentina Bosnia

1 in France Honduras

Three own goals so far.

1 in Brazil Croatia

1 in Argentina Bosnia

1 in France Honduras
I thought there was one in the Spain/Holland game too. Ricochet off the post into the keeper who bobbled it into the net.

Interesting time to drop this in seeing as how the US won tonight. The only way Donovan was getting in the game tonight would have been in lieu of Zusi, who provided the assist on the game winner.Otherwise, you're rehashing an argument we had weeks ago.
In that formation? He's a sub for Bedoya or Clint. But that's hardly the only formation we could play.
Were they playing some other formation tonight? My only point was that today was a weird time to suddenly open this discussion back up with the same argument we've heard before.

I didn't know what the price was when I made the statement. I checked after and offered a price that was better than the book I looked at. If someone wants to accept or counter, step up. Otherwise there's nothing I can do. :shrug:
Profitable books take stands on bets all the time. They put their money where their mouth is, so can you.

Profitable books take stands on bets all the time. They put their money where their mouth is, so can you.
I did. I offered better than the book did. How much can I put you down for?

Three own goals so far.

1 in Brazil Croatia

1 in Argentina Bosnia

1 in France Honduras
I thought there was one in the Spain/Holland game too. Ricochet off the post into the keeper who bobbled it into the net.
The FIFA web page is not showing any own goals for that game.

You might be thinking of the France Honduras one

http://www.espnfc.com/fifa-world-cup/4/video/1884119?&ex_cid=espnapi_affiliate_Google_World_Cup_Video

I did. I offered better than the book did. How much can I put you down for?
Five cents? :lmao:

Users who are viewing this thread