What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best albums of 2014 (1 Viewer)

Hello Venray - Show

Really good. I can't tag their exact style, but if you liked Parquet Courts' Light Up Gold, you might like this.

Hello Venray - Show

Really good. I can't tag their exact style, but if you liked Parquet Courts' Light Up Gold, you might like this.
that's a good enticement for me...

they've been around for 30 years. who knew. dutch people, I guess.

I still by my assertion that it is perfect for an autumn bike ride. Ghosts of the Great Highway, with Lost Verses and Moorestown thrown in the mix.
I prefer Kozelek's full band electric stuff but everything he releases is worth a listen. He is prolific though.
Ya Ive been a fan since that second red house painters album. Enjoying the new one as it's so different from everything else he's done.

I feel like this has been the year of the female. I can't ever remember having so many favorite albums from bands with female leads. Speaking of, Alvvays is outstanding. Just great beachy pop without being overly sentimental.

Party Police

Archie, Marry Me

I feel like this has been the year of the female. I can't ever remember having so many favorite albums from bands with female leads. Speaking of, Alvvays is outstanding. Just great beachy pop without being overly sentimental.

I heard that second song the other day and liked it. Need to check out the whole album.

No but I will now.

my take so far ...some might be from last year, but I didnt discover until this year:

my top so far:

#1 lake street dive

the wild feathers

lisse

broken bells

beck

chvrches

ray lamontagne

the black keys

war on drugs

real estate

london grammar

st. paul and the broken bones

jack white

jake bugg

future island

ingrid michaelson

best coast

neil finn

phantogram

enjoying but still determining ranking

sturgill simpson

elbow

eric church

first aid kit

sharon van etten

rodrigo y gabriela

david gray

jeremy messersmith

the strypes

nickel creek

the secret sisters

nick waterhouse

Every time I hear this I think it should be Jean Stapleton singing

Fly said:
The new Spoon album is pretty great. Can't wait to go back for repeat listens.
Pretty much played this on repeat yesterday at the office and loved it. Will be bypassing The Replacements for the Spoon show at ACL this year.

Meg Myers EP - Make A Shadow love it :tebow: :tebow:
Agreed. "Desire" is my favorite song (and video) of the year. I love her so hard.

It's crazy how similar the two singers sound. If I don't know, I would assume it's the same band.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw Spoon this weekend and they were great.

The whole modern-day festival thing is really strange. They played on the main stage, and I tried to get as close as possible. I ended up right in front of the soundbooth, and even there I'd say about 10% of the people were really actively into it/paying attention. Everyone else was gabbing, or sitting around, it was so strange. And there were 5 other stages, if you think they suck that's great, there is plenty of other stuff to go watch.

It really isn't ideal. Think I'm just going to skip these from now on unless the lineup's super-good. But I think getting as close as possible so as to drown out any possible conversation is almost a must. Rant over, get off my lawn, blah blah.

New Gaslight Anthem out today. Is supposed to be markedly different than their earlier work. Early reviews are mixed.
It's a little shorter. I'm a big fan of theirs but this is definitely different. It's catchy buy my firstimpression is that I probably won't listen to it over and over like I do with some of their other records.

Blues-rock guitarist Joe Bonamassa released the CD companion set of the Tour de Force DVDs. 4 different bands/venues/setlists recorded in London last year. Awesome run of shows ranging from a small club (The Borderline) to the Royal Albert Hall.

The whole modern-day festival thing is really strange. They played on the main stage, and I tried to get as close as possible. I ended up right in front of the soundbooth, and even there I'd say about 10% of the people were really actively into it/paying attention. Everyone else was gabbing, or sitting around, it was so strange. And there were 5 other stages, if you think they suck that's great, there is plenty of other stuff to go watch.

It really isn't ideal. Think I'm just going to skip these from now on unless the lineup's super-good. But I think getting as close as possible so as to drown out any possible conversation is almost a must. Rant over, get off my lawn, blah blah.
Outside Lands?

Outside Lands?
My daughter went and had a great time. She caught Spoon while waiting for some other band and said they were pretty good, even though they're outside her wheelhouse musically. But after hearing her stories from the weekend, I realize I'm too old and way too jaded to stand around the Polo Fields for three days. I think the shark move for Outside Lands is to catch the club showcases that happen around town during the festival. The big shows at the Independent sold out way too fast but Diarrhea Planet was outstanding on Thursday night. We were set to go see Woods on Saturday but Mrs. Eephus hurt her knee in the mosh pit at the DP show.

Users who are viewing this thread