What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Peterson charged with reckless or negligent injury to a child? (1 Viewer)

Since 1990 most of this country's school shootings have taken place. You know, around the same time people started complaining about whipping our kids, both at home and in school. A little fear of parents and teachers isn't necessarily a bad thing, but no way in hell I'll ever convince anyone under the age of 42 otherwise, so I won't. Just keep raising your kids telling them how great they are and at the same time not paying attention to what's going on in their lives, and make sure they collect that trophy for just being on the team, even though they suck because you don't have the time to give them instructions on how to hit and catch a ball and when they go shoot up a school, remember, I told you so.
Even cavemen think you're a caveman.
Are you disparaging cavemen? How dare you!

Since 1990 most of this country's school shootings have taken place. You know, around the same time people started complaining about whipping our kids, both at home and in school.
And yet most school shootings happen in states where corporal punishment is still allowed.
:goodposting:

The numbers don't lie, unfortunately these states are filled with people who can't count.
That's why they need the death penalty.

The overreactions to this are going to be mind blowing fun to watch.
I'll wager you haven't seen the photos.
Those pictures are nothing compared to marks I had and I imagine millions of kids in Texas are still getting.
So, because you were hit harder (or had worse injuries from it), it's ok?
He's probably saying he doesn't consider his parents criminals who got away with felonious child abuse.

A particularly depressing aspect of this and the Ray Rice situations is that at least 90% of people's responses are emotional, thought-free reactions that inevitably come down on one extreme or the other, when the truth is somewhere in the middle. Unfortunately, that requires patience and thinking, which very few want to do.

What AP did to that boy is awful and tragic. It is also consistent with his upbringing and his faith (to be clear, those don't excuse it, but they provide context for understanding how it happened). The fact that he believes he is acting in the best long-term interest of his son is important, no matter how ill-informed that belief may be. That's different from him being pissed off about losing a game and taking it out on his kid. The NFL will do whatever is in its best financial interest, and if we're lucky that will align with what's best for AP Junior. Maybe a two to four-week suspension for AP while he goes to counseling to learn how to be a strong father without resorting to violence, especially at that level. States may disagree on whether corporal punishment is allowed, but there is still a line and this is clearly beyond it.
This is a great post. A couple of other thoughts I have:

- I'm actually glad to see that AP seems to care about his kids. I'm a little perplexed that he didn't seem to be be involved in the life of the child who died a year or two ago but he seems to care about his other kids. Hopefully he learns from this and finds the proper line for disciplining his children. I'd rather have that than the more common behavior in the AA community where the father is MIA.

- I've seen people in this thread comparing this to the Vick or Ray Rice cases. This is very different than both of those cases. This was a father trying to do what he felt was right and in the best interests of his child. Clearly he was wrong in his application of that principle but to compare this to either of those other cases is ridiculous IMO.
This is a HUGE assumption on your part and at this point we do not know this at all. Based on the severity of those photos, he might have started out that way and then lost his temper. Or he might have used the "discipline" thing as an excuse to sadistically abuse his son, as so many child abusers do. We don't know anything, and it's rather ludicrous of you, IMO, to just throw this assumption out there as if it were the truth.

A particularly depressing aspect of this and the Ray Rice situations is that at least 90% of people's responses are emotional, thought-free reactions that inevitably come down on one extreme or the other, when the truth is somewhere in the middle. Unfortunately, that requires patience and thinking, which very few want to do.
Scary trend in our lives today. :goodposting:

Binary knee-jerk reactions to things we are neither equipped or able to judge appropriately.
Welcome to the Internet.

What AP did to that boy is awful and tragic. It is also consistent with his upbringing and his faith (to be clear, those don't excuse it, but they provide context for understanding how it happened). The fact that he believes he is acting in the best long-term interest of his son is important, no matter how ill-informed that belief may be. That's different from him being pissed off about losing a game and taking it out on his kid. The NFL will do whatever is in its best financial interest, and if we're lucky that will align with what's best for AP Junior. Maybe a two to four-week suspension for AP while he goes to counseling to learn how to be a strong father without resorting to violence, especially at that level. States may disagree on whether corporal punishment is allowed, but there is still a line and this is clearly beyond it.

- I'm actually glad to see that AP seems to care about his kids. I'm a little perplexed that he didn't seem to be be involved in the life of the child who died a year or two ago but he seems to care about his other kids. Hopefully he learns from this and finds the proper line for disciplining his children. I'd rather have that than the more common behavior in the AA community where the father is MIA.

- I've seen people in this thread comparing this to the Vick or Ray Rice cases. This is very different than both of those cases. This was a father trying to do what he felt was right and in the best interests of his child. Clearly he was wrong in his application of that principle but to compare this to either of those other cases is ridiculous IMO.
This is a HUGE assumption on your part and at this point we do not know this at all. Based on the severity of those photos, he might have started out that way and then lost his temper. Or he might have used the "discipline" thing as an excuse to sadistically abuse his son, as so many child abusers do. We don't know anything, and it's rather ludicrous of you, IMO, to just throw this assumption out there as if it were the truth.
Seriously... wtf is that statement? And Ray Rice was just a husband trying to calm his wife down...

Tim,

Like you I'm going by the evidence that is out there. AP's discussions with the police are out there and I have read them. There isn't any evidence suggesting anything else. Why is it ok for you to continuously give the government the benefit of the doubt regardless of evidence that suggests they're lieing, but I can't take AP at his word? Do you have any evidence that what he did wasn't just a disciplinary action that was taken too far?

Tim,

Like you I'm going by the evidence that is out there. AP's discussions with the police are out there and I have read them. There isn't any evidence suggesting anything else. Why is it ok for you to continuously give the government the benefit of the doubt regardless of evidence that suggests they're lieing, but I can't take AP at his word? Do you have any evidence that what he did wasn't just a disciplinary action that was taken too far?
Nothing but the photos and what the kid reportedly said. Oh and the fact that the kid was 4 year old. Do you think it's appropriate to use a switch on a 4 year old child?

I got the switch a few times, but I cant blame my Dad, I did some stupid stuff when I was a kid. Getting spanked with a switch leaves an impression, and I cant remember making the same mistake twice after being switched. It worked. :shrug:

That being said, I have two girls, and have never even spanked them with my hand. Different times I guess. Plus my girls have not done anything even remotely as stupid as me when I was a kid.

Tim,

Nothing but the photos and what the kid reportedly said. Oh and the fact that the kid was 4 year old. Do you think it's appropriate to use a switch on a 4 year old child?
Wow, only took one post for you to move the goal posts. I'd use the laughing icon but I don't think it's appropriate in this thread. And THIS is reason one people get pissed when you enter a thread. You're like the ONLY poster on this entire site that creates that response. Good for you.

Tim,

If I had to explain child beating in the most relaxed way, this is exactly how what I would say...

Every abusive parent thinks they're just disciplining their child. Fact is, they're not... they're punching, whipping, smacking them and it's not okay. I mean... for ####s sake, the kid was FOUR years old. This isn't like he was a 15 year old kid who might have a chance to defend himself, you shouldn't hit a 4 year old ever... let alone whip him.

News may come out that AD didn't actually do this... maybe it was his elder son has anger issues and did it and AD was afraid of what might happen to his eldest son or something. But for now the facts we know are that Adrian Peterson whipped his kid with a tree branch enough to break skin and cause severe damage to his exterior. Enough so that an ER doctor said it had all the signs of child abuse... ER doctors see this stuff every day. So until further evidence comes to light.

Tim,

Wow, only took one post for you to move the goal posts. I'd use the laughing icon but I don't think it's appropriate in this thread. And THIS is reason one people get pissed when you enter a thread. You're like the ONLY poster on this entire site that creates that response. Good for you.
I didn't move the goalposts at all. You asked me for evidence that it wasn't just a "disciplinary action that was taken too far." I gave you that evidence. You're free not to accept it, I suppose.

And I would hope that I'm not the only poster on this entire site that would give you that response. If that were true, I'd be uniquely proud of it, I suppose. But there are plenty of other people here, if not a majority, who are as horrified as I am, not only by a 4 year old getting beaten, but by your partial justification of it.

Imagine that rather than being your fantasy football team manager now, instead you're your 4 year old self and Adrian Peterson is hitting you with a tree branch.

Tim,

If I had to explain child beating in the most relaxed way, this is exactly how what I would say...

Every abusive parent thinks they're just disciplining their child. Fact is, they're not... they're punching, whipping, smacking them and it's not okay. I mean... for ####s sake, the kid was FOUR years old. This isn't like he was a 15 year old kid who might have a chance to defend himself, you shouldn't hit a 4 year old ever... let alone whip him.

News may come out that AD didn't actually do this... maybe it was his elder son has anger issues and did it and AD was afraid of what might happen to his eldest son or something. But for now the facts we know are that Adrian Peterson whipped his kid with a tree branch enough to break skin and cause severe damage to his exterior. Enough so that an ER doctor said it had all the signs of child abuse... ER doctors see this stuff every day. So until further evidence comes to light.
And that was a week AFTER the beating...

I just have to shake my head at people who think hitting a child like that is ok. You do that to an adult and it's called assault, but somehow doing that to an child makes it discipline. Great logic.

Tim,

And that was a week AFTER the beating...
Exactly! Those wounds are bad enough on their own in the photos... imagine how bad they were a few minutes after the incident happened?

How anybody can be in their right mind and try to defend this is insane to me.

The good news for Peterson is that his time in the headlines will probably be short lived. Some other criminal scandal is sure to break out in a few days. We're due for a rape or murder.

Tim,

Just a bit too far? Cuts to the kids scrotum, among other areas, and you're justifying this because it kinda got a little outta hand, a little overzealous, whoops my bad?

I am just so disgusted and discouraged by some of the minority views in this country.

Was just saying how sick I was of hearing about the Ray Rice situation on ESPN/NFL Network etc...guess they have a new story they get to beat to death.

I got the switch a few times, but I cant blame my Dad, I did some stupid stuff when I was a kid. Getting spanked with a switch leaves an impression, and I cant remember making the same mistake twice after being switched. It worked. :shrug:

That being said, I have two girls, and have never even spanked them with my hand. Different times I guess. Plus my girls have not done anything even remotely as stupid as me when I was a kid.
Are you suggesting you didn't spank your children and they didn't become unruly, undisciplined and disrespectful? Unpossible.

Are you suggesting you didn't spank your children and they didn't become unruly, undisciplined and disrespectful? Unpossible.
Oh, they can be that sometimes. lol I just didnt spank them. Used other ways to discipline them.

And for the record, I am against what AP did, especially to a 4yo. No need for that, and I do consider it child abuse.

One of the few times I was switched was because I was hitting dried up tree branches against trees so the end of the dried branch would fly off. I was aiming at my brother one time and hit him in the face. Could of took his eye out. I was 12 and my brother was 10. And I agree with my Dad using a switch on me in that instance.

And...... deleted. Replaced with this.

Roddy White @roddywhiteTVI should not have made light of a very serious situation. I understand the strong feelings about this issue and i shouldn't have said that
Translation: Someone told me to delete that tweet, explained to me why it was insensitive, and told me what to write next.
well??

what was it?

Roddy White @roddywhiteTVI should not have made light of a very serious situation. I understand the strong feelings about this issue and i shouldn't have said that
Translation: Someone told me to delete that tweet, explained to me why it was insensitive, and told me what to write next.
well??

what was it?
It said:

Roddy White@roddywhiteTV 18m

I'm probably going to lose my fantasy football matchup this week cause all day can't play Sunday for disciplining his child Jesus help us.

well??

what was it?
It said:

Roddy White@roddywhiteTV 18m

I'm probably going to lose my fantasy football matchup this week cause all day can't play Sunday for disciplining his child Jesus help us.
Isn't that what's in my link up top? :confused:

Really surprised today's news has generated a debate about corporal punishment. Misses the issue. What AP inflicted was child abuse. Intent is irrelevant. Personal history is irrelevant. Culture is irrelevant. Those disturbing pictures reveal a severely abused 4-year-old child.

What is so bizarre to me is that Peterson lost a 2 year old in the last year (or two). The child was a victim of child abuse by the mother's boyfriend.

WTF?

Last edited by a moderator:

Tim,

Just a bit too far? Cuts to the kids scrotum, among other areas, and you're justifying this because it kinda got a little outta hand, a little overzealous, whoops my bad?

I am just so disgusted and discouraged by some of the minority views in this country.
I haven't justified anything. I'm sorry I don't look at things as black and white and form my opinions within 5 minutes of hearing about a story like you and Tim. There are nuances and context to many incidents and I like to explore the entire story. AP doesn't have a history of violence that I'm aware of. If this was Michael Vick in this story my thoughts might be significantly different. To me this seems out of character so I'm giving the man some leeway at the moment. Thus far, this seems to me like someone who was brought up a certain way and is just doing things the way he was taught and believes worked for him. AP became a successful, rich man despite apparently having been beaten as a kid. So he believes that works. I'm not saying he's right, or justifying his actions in any way. But assuming that's his thought process I understand it. For him. Based upon his upbringing.

It's comments like yours and Tims that make it almost impossible to have hard, intelligent discussions about charged topics such as this. And that's unfortunate. And sad.

Users who are viewing this thread