What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How do you feel about Cutler now? (current info on pg 46) (2 Viewers)

Watching this game, I don't know how any QB could have success behind that o line the way that they are playing. Cutler is getting pressured on every snap he barely has time to throw or let routes develop. I think the outcome is more a function their terrible defense and o line than cutler sucking.
The oline is fine, its cutler inability to acknowledge a blitz and tell the line "he's the mike for the love of god block that guy" because ya know they are bent over and arent allowed to move and cant see ####, so people are running straight through the line on stunts, thats the difference between elite and horrible qbs. There were plays tonight cutler didnt even look at the defense and ran people straight into blitzers like he doesnt have audibles, if clay mathews hadnt pulled up on one play he blew up in the backfield he could have ended a kids career tonight. Its ridiculous how much people apologize for cutler, he has wrs that are foot taller than the guys guarding them, an all world running back, yet he is hitting lineman in their helmets with his passes.Mccown did great last year because he just floated up passes to his big guys all game, while cutler is throwing sidearm lazers 5 feet off the ground and cant recognize a blitz until hes on the ground with his feet in the air.

Last edited by a moderator:
Watching this game, I don't know how any QB could have success behind that o line the way that they are playing. Cutler is getting pressured on every snap he barely has time to throw or let routes develop. I think the outcome is more a function their terrible defense and o line than cutler sucking.
The oline is fine, its cutler inability to acknowledge a blitz and tell the line "he's the mike for the love of god block that guy" because ya know they are bent over and arent allowed to move and cant see ####, so people are running straight through the line on stunts, thats the difference between elite and horrible qbs. There were plays tonight cutler didnt even look at the defense and ran people straight into blitzers like he doesnt have audibles, if clay mathews hadnt pulled up on one play he blew up in the backfield he could have ended a kids career tonight. Its ridiculous how much people apologize for cutler, he has wrs that are foot taller than the guys guarding them, an all world running back, yet he is hitting lineman in their helmets with his passes.Mccown did great last year because he just floated up passes to his big guys all game, while cutler is throwing sidearm lazers 5 feet off the ground and cant recognize a blitz until hes on the ground with his feet in the air.
great

Cutler is a far better fantasy qb than he is a reality qb. Cutler is not a leader or men--nor is Trestman. The Chicago D is undisciplined and disorganized--and the team seems to show no accountability for anything (besides Brandon Marshall). A few weeks ago Marshall was under a lot of heat and ridiculed for shouting in the locker room and calling out his qb--and from what I saw tonight--the only thing he is guilty of is not shouting loud enough. Good lord the Bears are a dumpster fire

If we're stuck with Cutler, you tank for Gurley and make your team a 'rock hard defensive / control the clock' type of team.

I'm anxious to see what our offseason is. We need to use Cutler like the Ravens use Flacco.

Bears would be quite pleased with a Brandin Cooks or Jarvis Landry right about now.

If we're stuck with Cutler, you tank for Gurley and make your team a 'rock hard defensive / control the clock' type of team.

I'm anxious to see what our offseason is. We need to use Cutler like the Ravens use Flacco.

Bears would be quite pleased with a Brandin Cooks or Jarvis Landry right about now.
ok

I think their best hope is to trade him -- wonder what they could get

1/2/2014: Signed a seven-year, $126.7 million contract. The deal contains $54 million guaranteed -- each of Cutler's first three base salaries. There was no signing bonus. 2014: $17.5 million (+ $5 million "signing" bonus), 2015: $15.5 million, 2016: $16 million,
2017: $12.5 million (+ $2.5 million in per-game roster bonuses), 2018: $13.5 million (+ $2.5 million in per-game roster bonuses), 2019: $17.5 million (+ $2.5 million in per-game roster bonuses), 2020: $19.2 million (+ $2.5 million in per-game roster bonuses),

ok
So you're saying that if the Bears had a rookie RB and another WR, the defense would play better and that would help Cutler?

ok
So you're saying that if the Bears had a rookie RB and another WR, the defense would play better and that would help Cutler?
I agree--the Bears are not lacking offensive skill players. Frankly, they are stacked at WR and Forte is a very good RB. Their defense is not only terrible--but uninspired and undisciplined. The current defense would be much better if they just played with some passion and some inspiration. The Bears need the kind of qb that is decently mobile who plays the kind of game that inspires the people around him. Hypothethically--I would say that if Johnny Manziel were on this same team--and were to have started every game--my bet would be that the Bears would have a better record than 3-6. He has the kind of mobility and the kind of spark that this team could use.

Guys like A. Smith and A. Dalton took so much ish for getting paid. Cutler really didn't. At least they get to the playoffs.

While I do agree that Cutler is trash, as others have mentioned, the O-line played pretty crappy last night...particularly the turnstile at RT. I watched a couple guys whiff at the defender coming off that end. One of the RTs actually had his head down trying to block a guy!!! That is poor fundamentals! So the O-line isn't without blame. There's plenty to go around.

Cutler has piss poor pocket presence. Totally clueless when he has a defender zeroing in on him...then he holds on to the ball too long. I get the feeling none of those players like playing with Cutler. Zero chemistry. The body language last night was screaming disgust. When Cutler threw that first pick the players just dropped their shoulders, hung their heads, and walked to the sideline like "here we go again". Cutler was all over the place last night and couldn't hit the broadside of a barn. Alshon couldn't help but laugh at some of the throws that were 20 yards ahead of him when he would be running open. He has zero leadership ability and lack of passion. They need to make huge changes.

Martellus Bennett is a quitter too. He had passes clank off his hands that could have gone for a touchdown. Forte didn't even look interested.

And let's not get started on the defense...absolutely pathetic.

While I do agree that Cutler is trash, as others have mentioned, the O-line played pretty crappy last night...particularly the turnstile at RT. I watched a couple guys whiff at the defender coming off that end. One of the RTs actually had his head down trying to block a guy!!! That is poor fundamentals! So the O-line isn't without blame. There's plenty to go around.
you might've been looking at michael ola --- they lost a guard against the pats, so I think they moved their RT inside and subbed in ola at the tackle spot.

he's kind of a more guard sized udfa who played for trestman a couple years ago in montreal, I believe.

Jay Cutler = Jeff George.

Decent statistically, but in real life he is horrible.
That is a pretty accurate comparison. Cannon arm that just fails miserably when he's needed most.
The Jeff George comparison is fair, and on-going for at least four (4) years now (not sure if it traces back to his Denver days or not): http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=fleming/101028

As I recall, nothing was ever Jeff George's fault either.

Jay Cutler = Jeff George.

Decent statistically, but in real life he is horrible.
That is a pretty accurate comparison. Cannon arm that just fails miserably when he's needed most.
The Jeff George comparison is fair, and on-going for at least four (4) years now (not sure if it traces back to his Denver days or not): http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=fleming/101028

As I recall, nothing was ever Jeff George's fault either.
It was good to see Jeff George again. :excited:
I watched that game last night and what stood out to me right away is that when the rush is coming, Cutler's first instinct is to throw it up for grabs. Not take the sack. Not throw it out of bounds. Not throw it away near enough to a WR to not get called for grounding. Just wind up and chuck it as hard as he can at the first WR he sees. He had some reckless throws that WEREN'T picked off, too. And as someone said earlier, that throw where Hester fell down, he was well covered.

Welcome back to the NFL Jeff George! :lmao:
His performance on MNF made me question a dynasty move I made. I had Cutler and Roethlisberger as QBs on a dynasty team that including this year I have made the title game 4 years in a row(won 2). I was frustrated with his inconsistency for over a year now, and decided to drop him for Henne(has looked good to me and Miami is improving talent-wise). I had tried to trade him but nobody really wanted him.

Seeing him play on MNF has me wondering whether that was the right move going forward. But he is so hard to predict with his inconsistency. The troubling part about the Bears-Broncos trade(just from a FF perspective) is that the Bears don't have the draft picks to help build the team around him next year, so it will be another year to start assembling the talent.

His release reminds me of Jeff George in a way. He certainly has a quick release and a gun for an arm.
It was good to see Jeff George again. :goodposting:
He is Jeff George again. I've been saying that since last season. At the time he was traded I came on this board and pointed out the fact he's never made a team he's played on better. Most people dismissed this by saying he played with inferior talent at Vanderbilt and a poor defense with the Bronco's. Now what's the excuse du jour? I'll give him one thing however. As long as you are not a Bears fan he's fun to watch. He throws an outstanding looking ball and I must admit watching a cocky rifle armed gunslinger QB is a lot more entertaining than watching a game manager like Orton.

Peter King , Sports Illustrated, NFL Reporter
Jay Cutler Chi history vs GB: W-L Int 1-10 22 He has never played a game versus Green Bay without throwing a pick.
@SI_PeterKing | | 10h | Score: 89
3b906ed6f7bcdda5d6d767f8bf1f915e_normal.jpeg

Paul Domowitch , Philadelphia Inquirier, Sportswriter
Packers' Aaron Rodgers hasn't thrown an INT at Lambeau in his last 286 attempts dating back to Dec. of 2012. Has 26 TDs there in that time.
@pdomo | | 2h | Score: 86

psychobillies said:
Kool-Aid Larry said:
Eminence said:

ok
Lmao, reasons like this are why I avoid posting in the Shark Pool.

1.) Yes, a Rookie RB who may be the most talented RB since Adrian Peterson would help the Defense because it would keep them off the field.

2.) You obviously use this offseason to acquire a few core defensive guys and go with defense the rest of your draft.

3.) The point about Landry and Cooks has nothing to do with the defense. The Bears thought Marquess Wilson was going to be that 3WR to take advantage of matchups. But he's been unavailable and I don't think he has the goods.

1.) Yes, a Rookie RB who may be the most talented RB since Adrian Peterson would help the Defense because it would keep them off the field.

2.) You obviously use this offseason to acquire a few core defensive guys and go with defense the rest of your draft.

3.) The point about Landry and Cooks has nothing to do with the defense. The Bears thought Marquess Wilson was going to be that 3WR to take advantage of matchups. But he's been unavailable and I don't think he has the goods.
I'm not disputing anything you're saying, but if I could just point out the following, in case you don't follow chicago:

Round 1:

14. Virginia Tech cornerback Kyle Fuller

Round 2:

51. LSU defensive tackle Ego Ferguson

Round 3:

82. Arizona State defensive tackle Will Sutton

Round 4:

131. Minnesota Safety Brock Vereen (Bears traded up with the Denver Broncos, sending this year's and next year's 5th-round picks for the Broncos' 4th- and 7th-round picks this year.)

Bears agreed to terms with DE Jared Allen on a four-year, $32 contract.

Bears signed DE Willie Young, formerly of the Lions, to a three-year, $9 million contract.

Bears signed DE Lamarr Houston, formerly of the Raiders, to a five-year, $35 million contract.

Bears re-signed DT Jay Ratliff to a two-year, $4 million contract with $600,000 guaranteed.

Bears signed Florida State LB Christian Jones.

Bears re-signed LB D.J. Williams.

Bears agreed to terms with S Danny McCray, formerly of the Cowboys, on a one-year contract.

Bears re-signed CB Charles Tillman to a one-year contract.

Bears signed S Ryan Mundy to a two-year, $3 million deal.

The only other team to give up over 50 points in consecutive games was the Rochester Jeffersons in 1923 – seriously. The "Jeffs" were founded in 1898, and played a total of five seasons in the NFL from 1920-25

I'm not disputing anything you're saying, but if I could just point out the following, in case you don't follow chicago:

Round 1:

14. Virginia Tech cornerback Kyle Fuller

Round 2:

51. LSU defensive tackle Ego Ferguson

Round 3:

82. Arizona State defensive tackle Will Sutton

Round 4:

131. Minnesota Safety Brock Vereen (Bears traded up with the Denver Broncos, sending this year's and next year's 5th-round picks for the Broncos' 4th- and 7th-round picks this year.)

Bears agreed to terms with DE Jared Allen on a four-year, $32 contract.

Bears signed DE Willie Young, formerly of the Lions, to a three-year, $9 million contract.

Bears signed DE Lamarr Houston, formerly of the Raiders, to a five-year, $35 million contract.

Bears re-signed DT Jay Ratliff to a two-year, $4 million contract with $600,000 guaranteed.

Bears signed Florida State LB Christian Jones.

Bears re-signed LB D.J. Williams.

Bears agreed to terms with S Danny McCray, formerly of the Cowboys, on a one-year contract.

Bears re-signed CB Charles Tillman to a one-year contract.

Bears signed S Ryan Mundy to a two-year, $3 million deal.

The only other team to give up over 50 points in consecutive games was the Rochester Jeffersons in 1923 – seriously. The "Jeffs" were founded in 1898, and played a total of five seasons in the NFL from 1920-25
To be fair though, the Bears are down Lance Briggs and Charles Tillman. Those two obviously aren't world beaters but they certainly cold have helped mitigate the bleeding. That quote about the Jeffs is pretty hilarious.

I've pretty much just been addressing the fact that we are stuck with out 50 million guaranteed man in Jay Cutler. It's clear he is not an elite signal caller when it comes to diagnosing blitzes or taking over the game with his arm when it needs to happen. We unfortunately are stuck with the schmuck and will have to build around the Running Game and defense.

We're getting run up and down the field by opposing offenses to the point where we have to pass the ball to stay in the game. Once opposing defenses know Cutler is passing, they eat him alive. Since we can't outright replace Cutler we're going to have to:

-Shorten the games by running the ball.

-Limit his attempts by running the ball.

-Build an elite defense around Cutler.

At this point, I wouldn't even be opposed to trading Alshon Jeffery. If you could get a 1st Round Pick for the guy, I would consider that a success. I like Fuller at Cornerback but we have extreme needs elsewhere on defense. Having Jeffery on the field is pointless when the defense is giving up gobs of points, as Cutler can't overcome that like a guy like Andrew Luck can.

EDIT: Unfortunately I live in Illinois.

We're getting run up and down the field by opposing offenses to the point where we have to pass the ball to stay in the game. Once opposing defenses know Cutler is passing, they eat him alive.
did you see trestman's comments after the miami game?

pretty sure I copied a blurb in here somewhere

Trestman said today that Marshall was supposed to run a 18 yard hook and instead turned it into a go on that 2nd int.... I am sure schmucks like shonuff do not care about facts since it does not suit their narrative.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-bears-super-sider-spt-0929-20140929-story.html
Last night had a hell of a narrative.
Sweetness doesn't like facts either.

Even in his rant about Marshall running the wrong route in the first game...he forgets that the DB apparently read it perfect as a hook and was there to make a play.

There is no way to make that into a good throw from Cutler...but he sure tries.

And he is predictably absent and silent today (as he always is after a beat down.

We're getting run up and down the field by opposing offenses to the point where we have to pass the ball to stay in the game. Once opposing defenses know Cutler is passing, they eat him alive.
did you see trestman's comments after the miami game?

pretty sure I copied a blurb in here somewhere
very similar to this:

Speaking Monday, Bears coach Marc Trestman didn't entertain the notion that Jay Cutler should be benched, but said he's "got to play better."
Trestman pointedly mentioned that Cutler checked out of multiple runs into passes on the Bears' first possession in their embarrassing 55-14 loss to the Packers

buck naked said:
At least we (Chicago) don't have Cam "One Read" Newton as our QB. He's even worse than Cutler.
Why does he stop looking downfield after escaping pressure? As soon as he escapes he makes a beeline for the sideline. Aaron Rodgers makes a living making big plays in situations like that. Newton seems content to take his 2 yard gain and move on to the next play.

Well, that's not good. As a Packer fan I much preferred when the fans made excuses. This could actually lead to change. :(

Cutler v Palmer is going to end up being. Tough choice until I see a bit of separation, but I have Cutler slated as a starter for now
I started Palmer. Now stuck with cutler. Do I trust him and start him with confidence? No, but I think to drop him would be a huge overreaction.

I started Sanchez over Cutler this past week. It's ridiculous but I think Sanchez is my starter until Cutler and that entire team show some life.

I'm not sure I can start Cutler until I see some improvement. I'm not sure it happens vs MN tough pass D.

Week 12 Cutler faces TB. If he can't light it up there he's dropable.

Users who are viewing this thread