What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rams acquire #1 pick, Massive haul for Titans (1 Viewer)

I was onto the decreasing value of the RB position long before it became popular.  I did my own studies and saw some of the best RBs of recent years, Ladalian Thomlinson and Adrian Peterson, for as good as they were, made zero impact on their team's ability to make the playoffs let alone win any playoff games.  The decreasing impact of the RB position is well-known now and it has been covered.  Love AdP but Joe Thomas was a much better pick.  He's never missed a snap let alone any games as Adrian has and he's a great guy, no off-field issues that I won't bother to mention about Adrian.  JT isn't the reason why the Browns haven't won but if they had taken AdP and not had JT at left tackle, Adrian Peterson may not have been as wildly productive.   
Minnesota has been to the playoffs 4 times in ADP's career and he absolutely is the main reason why they were in the playoffs all 4 times. There were other key people (like Favre), but ADP was the main cog in Minny those 4 playoff appearances. If you think ADP had zero impact on taking Christian Ponder to the playoffs, you aren't nearly as smart as you think you are. ADP carried that OK team to the playoffs on his back.

San Diego made 5 playoff appearances in LT's career and you can feel free to try and state your point, but I think it is ludicrous to say that LT had zero impact on those teams. Have you noticed that Rivers made the playoffs 1 time in the 6 years since LT left San Diego?

Nope, although taking Adrian Peterson would have been way better for their playoff chances. That said, taking Tunsil gets them really no closer to the playoffs. Thomas experienced 0 playoff games and that is due less to his play and more to the Browns ridiculous other 1st round QB picks.

If they don't really like either QB enough, then take Tunsil and tank this year for a top QB next.

I'm curious, what was your take on RB Trent Richardson BEFORE that draft?  

What do you think about picking RB Trent Richardson now?  

I was against picking a RB in the top-4 before that draft.  I was critical of the pick on the day it happened and I was attacked by T-Rich supporters.  

I was 100% behind the selection of Joe Thomas before and after the pick was made.  

I have no idea who the Browns want or what they do with the pick but I don't rule out Tunsil. 

Damn you would think that the Rams would know better than to get this crazy seeing as how much they benefited from the RG3 trade and how the Redskins still havent recovered completely from that.
I am not seeing a QB like a Luck or Newton where you are pretty darn confident that they will be a high echelon NFL QB for a long time either. You just bet the house Rams and I am not sure it was wise to do so.

For the Titans.... hell yea, you do that deal!

Nope, although taking Adrian Peterson would have been way better for their playoff chances. That said, taking Tunsil gets them really no closer to the playoffs. Thomas experienced 0 playoff games and that is due less to his play and more to the Browns ridiculous other 1st round QB picks.

If they don't really like either QB enough, then take Tunsil and tank this year for a top QB next.
:no:  

Damn you would think that the Rams would know better than to get this crazy seeing as how much they benefited from the RG3 trade and how the Redskins still havent recovered completely from that.
The Redskins have won the division twice since the trade (admittedly the second one was not because of that trade). Rams have zero playoff appearances.

In my opinion anyone that thinks that the Titans gave up a lot needs some perspective. 

Just take a few minutes to go to drafthistory.com and choose ANY team. Go back over their past years and get a feel for what a complete draft looks like four or five years after the fact. The reality is that the vast majority of picks don't pan out. The rarity of finding anyone that becomes a star outside of the first round is mind boggling compared to the emotional rhetoric. Those feelings are just that, they aren't based in objective reality. In my opinion draft capital doesn't have near the value that people perceive that it does. 

With this thought in mind, I don't understand why John Schneider hasn't won any major awards. His three year crushing of the draft from 2010 to 2012 is like nothing I can compare to from any other team. For those that don't know he drafted 16 different players in that three year span that were solid NFL starters (and all of them got decent second contracts after their rookie contracts ended). Compounding this phenomenal run, he's also found a handful of undrafted free agents that have turned into contributors on a top of the line NFL roster (Baldwin, Kearse, Rawls). Seriously, why does Schneider not get the credit?

I am not seeing a QB like a Luck or Newton where you are pretty darn confident that they will be a high echelon NFL QB for a long time either. You just bet the house Rams and I am not sure it was wise to do so.

Even if there is a luck or Newton in this draft that still would not warrant to give up all of those picks IMO.  That is a hell of a lot to give up and you have to make it up through insanely good drafting and I just dont see it.   In theory that is a ton of starters to give up for one player.

I'm curious, what was your take on RB Trent Richardson BEFORE that draft?  

What do you think about picking RB Trent Richardson now?  

I was against picking a RB in the top-4 before that draft.  I was critical of the pick on the day it happened and I was attacked by T-Rich supporters.  

I was 100% behind the selection of Joe Thomas before and after the pick was made.  

I have no idea who the Browns want or what they do with the pick but I don't rule out Tunsil. 
I didn't really like TRich ever. Check out his thousand page thread, I am all over it. I really disliked him after his rookie year in FF which was all about volume and being a bad RB. Honestly, I never looked at Joe Thomas at all, not clue. I also thought Russell was a horrible pick, but I think everyone and their mothers thought that.

You realize no one is bashing the Thomas pick, right? We just think that your thought that they could get a 1st rounder for him and his $10M contract are wrong. I still do think in hindsight that the Browns would have been better with Peterson. Peterson and LT as much as you devalued them have 10 playoff appearance to Thomas' 0. I'd much rather have had both of them and an average LT over Thomas.

Minnesota has been to the playoffs 4 times in ADP's career and he absolutely is the main reason why they were in the playoffs all 4 times. There were other key people (like Favre), but ADP was the main cog in Minny those 4 playoff appearances. If you think ADP had zero impact on taking Christian Ponder to the playoffs, you aren't nearly as smart as you think you are. ADP carried that OK team to the playoffs on his back.

San Diego made 5 playoff appearances in LT's career and you can feel free to try and state your point, but I think it is ludicrous to say that LT had zero impact on those teams. Have you noticed that Rivers made the playoffs 1 time in the 6 years since LT left San Diego?
and he took the Jets to the playoffs with a rookie at QB.

The Redskins have 2 division titles since the trade. The Rams haven't finished over .500

Even if there is a luck or Newton in this draft that still would not warrant to give up all of those picks IMO.  That is a hell of a lot to give up and you have to make it up through insanely good drafting and I just dont see it.   In theory that is a ton of starters to give up for one player.
Yea, I am not a fan of moving up to get players. I rather move back and collect picks and players. I think it is very rare that a team needs to pull of something like this and it ought to be for a once every 10 year type of talent that really completes your team for a SB.

How many of these types of trades work out for the buyer? How many end up being a godsend for the seller?

:no:  
Why? Look at the 2012 Vikings, which rode ADP into the playoffs. They had Christian Ponder at QB, Harvin at WR with a team high 677 yards, Kyle Rudolph, Michael Jenkins and Jarius Wright as their offense. Their defense was the 14th ranked scoring defense, i.e. not the 2015 Broncos.

Cleveland has had solid O-lines, terrible QBs and decent enough Ds (by the way the 2012 browns gave up only 20 more points than the 2012 Vikings).

Sorry, but I 100% stand by my statement that Adrian Peterson would have been way better for Cleveland's playoff chances.

Also, Bracie, feel free to point out 1 single player on the 2012 Vikings that took them to the playoffs and how ADP had zero impact.

The pick of Newton was roundly derided at the time as a reach for a sure bust.

Luck has four years under his belt and he's clearly not a high-echelon NFL QB so far.

Life is strange.

The pick of Newton was roundly derided at the time as a reach for a sure bust.

Luck has four years under his belt and he's clearly not a high-echelon NFL QB so far.

Life is strange.
I think Luck is a top echelon QB but the surrounding players around him have not done him any favors.

Newton was not a sure fire- this guy will be a great QB but enough people believed it so (not usually going to get everyone in the same page when it comes to who will be or not be NFL stars in the draft)

and he took the Jets to the playoffs with a rookie at QB.
Amazing IMHO that anyone could ever say these guys had zero impact on their teams chances to make the playoffs. Sure, some teams have devalued RBs and it has worked, but let's not say something silly about HOF RBs not having huge impacts on their teams. ADP was the 2012 Vikings team that made the playoffs. That team was mediocre (D) to bad (QB/WRs) other than him.

The Redskins have 2 division titles since the trade. The Rams haven't finished over .500
That really wasnt my point.  I was trying to see that since RG3 is/was a total bust that all those picks are pretty much unrecoverable.  But I get what you are saying.

That really wasnt my point.  I was trying to see that since RG3 is/was a total bust that all those picks are pretty much unrecoverable.  But I get what you are saying.
You said the Skins still hadn't recovered from the trade. I don't think you can say that haven't recovered from it when they have more playoff appearances than the Rams.

Let's play a game based in historical averages. Fill in the pick numbers with names of guys taken from old drafts. Which group of players would you pick?

Based on the 2012 draft The Titans select:

1st round — No. 15 overall DE Bruce Irvin
2nd round — No. 33 WR Brian Quick
2nd round — No. 43 (from Rams) WR Stephen Hill
2nd round — No. 45 (from Rams) WR Alshon Jeffrey
3rd round — No. 64 DB Trumaine Johnson
3rd round — No. 76 (from Rams) G Brandon Brooks
5th round — No. 140 LB Najee Goode
6th round — No. 193 (from Falcons) T Tom Compton
7th round — No. 222 LB Caleb McSurdy

Based on the 2012 draft The Rams select:

1st round — No. 1 overall (from Titans) QB Andrew Luck
4th round — No. 110 TE Ladarius Green
4th round — No. 113 LB Kyle Wilbur
6th round — No. 177 (from Titans) DB Justin Bethel
6th round — No. 190 DB Markelle Martin

Pick another year and do the same thing. I'll even compile it for you. What year  do you want to see (assuming its at least from three years ago or older)?

You said the Skins still hadn't recovered from the trade. I don't think you can say that haven't recovered from it when they have more playoff appearances than the Rams.
True, probably faulty wording on my part.  I was just trying to say that you would think the Rams would be smarter than that seeing how the trade they did the Skins guy flamed out hard.  Granted Cousins looks the part now.

Depends on what the goal is, I suppose.
If the goal is to not sniff the playoffs, he's all for it. Give me rookie LT or Peterson all day over Joe Thomas and I'd bet money that I'd make it to the playoffs first and I've got all the history backing mme up.

Amazing position for the Titans to be in.  Have their young QB in place, and a ton of picks this year and next. 

True, probably faulty wording on my part.  I was just trying to say that you would think the Rams would be smarter than that seeing how the trade they did the Skins guy flamed out hard.  Granted Cousins looks the part now.
Now that may be more accurate. RG3 certainly flamed out and flamed out quickly. But I don't think that should be why the Rams or any other team wouldn't make a trade. I don't agree with it from the Rams perspective, but if they really like Wentz or Goff, then you gotta go get your guy.

The irony of this is surreal.  Just a few years after the Rams raped the Skins the Titans rape the Rams in exactly the same way. 

I think Goff is a star in the making... Miles better than Wentz. 

I can't imagine a team giving up THAT much to draft the wrong guy. Ok, maybe not the "wrong" guy, but this isn't Andrew Luck we're talking about

I think Goff is a star in the making... Miles better than Wentz. 

I can't imagine a team giving up THAT much to draft the wrong guy. Ok, maybe not the "wrong" guy, but this isn't Andrew Luck we're talking about
Careful, now.  If Goff goes #1, you gotta do some serious tap dancing.  

could you explain this please
Sure. 2nd and 3rd round picks are a total crapshoot. People are assuming this trade will turn into "3-5 starters" for Tennessee when in actuality those 4 non-1st round picks will likely be one starter, if they're lucky. It's more nuanced and situation dependent than strictly value. For example if the Titans weren't high on anyone near the top of this draft, if they are set on someone who will likely be available at 15, if they assume LA will be terrible next season. Not to mention the fact that the Titans have many holes in their roster so taking one stud defensive back or linebacker or tackle wouldn't move the needle much for them. It's complicated obviously

This quote from Paul Kuharsky supports the lack of value from the Titans:

One NFL personnel man tells me the Titans lost the trade on every chart.  

Careful, now.  If Goff goes #1, you gotta do some serious tap dancing.  
I'd take Wentz... I wouldnt be thrilled about it... But Goff all day, every day for me.

Won't change my mind if the Browns draft Wentz. I just dont think he is nearly as good as Goff

You should want a QB far more than Tunsil.  No line is going to matter if they are trotting out Case Keenum.
I agree a very good QB can help Gurley.  But even if Wentz/Goff are really good, they along with Gurley will struggle behind that 28th ranked line.  It's a catch 22 at this point, and I really don't think they did themselves any favors unless they see future Pro Bowl potential in one of those QB's.

I personally think they would have been better served trading up a few spots for Ronnie Stanley then drafting Cook in round 2.  But an NFL GM I am not.

Why? Look at the 2012 Vikings, which rode ADP into the playoffs. They had Christian Ponder at QB, Harvin at WR with a team high 677 yards, Kyle Rudolph, Michael Jenkins and Jarius Wright as their offense. Their defense was the 14th ranked scoring defense, i.e. not the 2015 Broncos.

Cleveland has had solid O-lines, terrible QBs and decent enough Ds (by the way the 2012 browns gave up only 20 more points than the 2012 Vikings).

Sorry, but I 100% stand by my statement that Adrian Peterson would have been way better for Cleveland's playoff chances.

Also, Bracie, feel free to point out 1 single player on the 2012 Vikings that took them to the playoffs and how ADP had zero impact.

Let's play a game based in historical averages. Fill in the pick numbers with names of guys taken from old drafts. Which group of players would you pick?

Based on the 2012 draft The Titans select:

1st round — No. 15 overall DE Bruce Irvin
2nd round — No. 33 WR Brian Quick
2nd round — No. 43 (from Rams) WR Stephen Hill
2nd round — No. 45 (from Rams) WR Alshon Jeffrey
3rd round — No. 64 DB Trumaine Johnson
3rd round — No. 76 (from Rams) G Brandon Brooks
5th round — No. 140 LB Najee Goode
6th round — No. 193 (from Falcons) T Tom Compton
7th round — No. 222 LB Caleb McSurdy

Based on the 2012 draft The Rams select:

1st round — No. 1 overall (from Titans) QB Andrew Luck
4th round — No. 110 TE Ladarius Green
4th round — No. 113 LB Kyle Wilbur
6th round — No. 177 (from Titans) DB Justin Bethel
6th round — No. 190 DB Markelle Martin

Pick another year and do the same thing. I'll even compile it for you. What year  do you want to see (assuming its at least from three years ago or older)?
2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2005, 2002...

For the Rams to "win" this trade, their pick has to be a franchise QB.  For the Titans to "win" the trade their pack of picks has to yield a few contributors and one or two impact guys.  

In a league where teams are passing more, and more and more and more, how exactly are LT losing value?
They aren't getting paid as much as their expected value based on recent LT signing over the past two years compared to the previous five years? Just a guess. 

If you aska  QB if he'd rather have a great LT or great Rb or WR, which do you think he'd choose?

Last edited by a moderator:
FUBAR, did you mean to reply to me somewhere else or just get caught up in this damn new UI with reply issues?

Looking at the 1.15 picks over the last decade+ - Mike Pouncey, JPP, Cushing, Derrick Johnson,  maybe Brandon Albert and Lawrence Timmons; were impact players.

Last time the Titans picked 1.15 they got Albert Haynesworth.

The Rams were in purgatory. A very good defense, decent offensive line, topnotch RB, but no QB. That would bring them to .500 every year, or maybe a 9-7 or even 10-6 once in a while, but you can't be a top quality franchise without a quality NFL QB. Middle range records would also leave them picking 15th or 18th every year and in no place to ever get a young QB unless they got lucky throwing darts at the 3rd, 4th and 5th QBs in a class. Same dilemma faced by the Texans. Too good to ever get a high draft choice with a playoff quality teams in all other respects being wasted year by year. Two ways out. Get lucky and find a possible quality QB in free agency for 17 Mil/yr (Oz) or give up a draft pick ransom for a top of the draft QB. If Wentz doesn't pan out - I think it has to be Wentz for Fisher - they have gained nothing and it turns out to be a coach and GM career ending mistake. If Osweiler fails, that was a huge mistake for the Texans. The thing is, both teams know there is no other way to success as a franchise than with a good QB, and without the wild luck of hitting on a later round QB draft pick, neither had an alternative to make use of the good teams they had built. Expensive as hell, but I see it as a well considered risk. 

2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2005, 2002...

For the Rams to "win" this trade, their pick has to be a franchise QB.  For the Titans to "win" the trade their pack of picks has to yield a few contributors and one or two impact guys.  
Not sure I agree with one or two impact guys. They need an perennial pro-bowler to win the trade because they should be able to get that with the #1. Agreed on the Rams, they have to get their franchise QB or it is a total loss. Titans have spread their risk a lot more, they (if they draft well) should be able to pull 2-3 solid players. I don't know enough about how good their GM is. I know I'd love to see what Dave Gettleman would do with that array of picks.

MMQB's Peter King reports the Rams have yet to decide who they will take with the No. 1 overall pick.

There have been competing reports since the blockbuster trade for the No. 1 overall pick was announced. The Los Angeles Times' Sam Farmer reports St. Louis is targeting North Dakota State QB Carson Wentz, but Bleacher Report's Matt Miller says Cal QB Jared Goff is the pick. The only thing certain is the Rams will take a quarterback with the top pick, leaving the Browns with a complicated decision at No. 2.

How could this be true? How could they trade so much if they didn't LOVE one of the QBs?

Users who are viewing this thread