What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Microsoft Announces "Surface" Tablet (2 Viewers)

The Lenovo one looks nice but I'm sticking with my Surface 3 for now... and for awhile.

Not sure when Apple is announcing their version but I don't think anything from them can WOW me at this point in time. Apple is "showing" that they aren't innovating as much as people think they are. I think I said it before here but if they come out with a larger tablet, they have to have a separate OS, like a computer OS, in order to even come close to what the Surface is about.

The only thing keeping Apple ahead is their app store which is huge. However, I have heard Microsoft isn't focusing on their app store like Apple does. Maybe MSFT had to put more people into getting Windows 10 to be better so other parts in the MSFT ecosystem lacked a little, I don't know. That said, if MSFT had a few key games like Angry Birds and some newer popular games, maybe people will go back to their product. But, as of now, MSFT is much further ahead in the user game than Apple.

This is coming from an Apple user for 10+ years exclusively. The only product I wish MSFT would also shine in is a phone. I just could not stand the Windows phone I did have for a year.

I'm actually excited to see what they are bringing out. I have a Surface 3 and it has probably been the best piece of equipment I've bought the last few years when it comes to schoo supplies. I'm getting used to using Microsoft Sway as well. Those two are awesome. Not sure if I could ever leave the iPhone because the one experience I had with a windows phone was not good. But if MSFT keeps their phones at a decent price unlike what seems to be happening with the iPhone and subsidies or whatever, Windows phone might be a decent option in the future.

Surface Pro 4 was announced today. It looks pretty good with a decent price point. I'm not in the market for one now with my Surface 3 but I wouldn't turn it down if it was given to me.

Have to watch some YouTube users using it or somethings and hands on at the store.

Owing to a mishap with my old laptop and a glass of water I've just bought a new laptop. So i'll have to wait at least until x-mas to get it ;)

Thinking the i5 8GB 256 version would be perfect. Now to wait a few weeks. . . The graphics processor is the same whether i5 or i7 is that correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
<_<

Only because it's my wife's turn - she is still putzing around on the 1, and is the reason I got the 3 Pro. So, definitely her turn.

Love that they will respect the pledge to use common sizes to allow for cross generation use of accessories.

Not happy with the pricing of the Surface 4 Pro:

- Core M version for $899 only comes with 4 GB RAM.

- i5 version for $999 comes with 4 GB RAM and 128GB HD. To get 8 GB RAM the price goes up to $1299 ($300 more) and you have to get the upgrade from 128 GB to 256 GB HD. Therefore the cheapest SP4 with 8 GB RAM is $1299.

- Going from i5 to i7 is a $300 upgrade (same specs 8 GB RAM / 256 GB hard drive).

- On the i7, to go from 8 GB to 16 GB is an extra $200.

Ridiculous that there isn't a $999 base model or $1099 i5 with 8 GB RAM. The only decently priced upgrade appears to be going from the base Core M to i5 for $100 more.

Not happy with the pricing of the Surface 4 Pro:

- Core M version for $899 only comes with 4 GB RAM.

- i5 version for $999 comes with 4 GB RAM and 128GB HD. To get 8 GB RAM the price goes up to $1299 ($300 more) and you have to get the upgrade from 128 GB to 256 GB HD. Therefore the cheapest SP4 with 8 GB RAM is $1299.

- Going from i5 to i7 is a $300 upgrade (same specs 8 GB RAM / 256 GB hard drive).

- On the i7, to go from 8 GB to 16 GB is an extra $200.

Ridiculous that there isn't a $999 base model or $1099 i5 with 8 GB RAM. The only decently priced upgrade appears to be going from the base Core M to i5 for $100 more.
It's the new toy... and its not as if the 3 / Pro are obselete.

Let the 'have to have it' crowd spend, then hopefully some ok deals or bundles come holiday time (weeks away only).

I still remember paying $2000 for a laptop that was barely half as good as a comparable desk top.

I still remember paying $2000 for a laptop that was barely half as good as a comparable desk top.
Yep. Given the graphical boost I'd be very temped by the 512GB i7 version. Pricey, but would be a great machine.

That said I love my Pro 3. Great machine.

Yep. Given the graphical boost I'd be very temped by the 512GB i7 version. Pricey, but would be a great machine.

That said I love my Pro 3. Great machine.
Which will quickly go down in Price (P3) pretty soon. Can't fault looking for a higher market (and margin) product. My P3 stoll, err, rocks.

$1500 is a lot these days for a laptop but the Surface Book looks sweet.

- bigger screen than SP4: 13.5" vs. 12.3"

- has a real keyboard

- can turn screen around to use the full power of the GPU

cstu said:

- has a real keyboard

played with one in the microsoft store , very sweet indeed. Very nice build quality.

I think the SP4 will be my 1st windows machine in 10 years

cstu said:

- has a real keyboard

I'd prefer the SP4 vs. the Book.

The Book has poor battery life as a tablet vs. the SP4 so that is one selling point for me that way. I already have the Surface 3 and enjoy it for what I need it for however I am a little envious cause I have to shy away from the SP4 since I have the S3... unless I can unload it but I'm not looking to do that.

Really debating this one. Thinking SP4 but wondering if the i5, 256 GB, 8 GB RAM might be a sweet spot? Basic use, some gaming, let my wife use it for Photoshop if it works for her, etc.

Really debating this one. Thinking SP4 but wondering if the i5, 256 GB, 8 GB RAM might be a sweet spot? Basic use, some gaming, let my wife use it for Photoshop if it works for her, etc.
This is exactly what I preordered. i7 seems like overkill, and I can't seem to find a reason to go beyond 8 GB unless you're doing some really heavy gaming and have a ton of other applications open.

- has a real keyboard

played with one in the microsoft store , very sweet indeed. Very nice build quality. I think the SP4 will be my 1st windows machine in 10 years
I'm on record here as wanting to like the surface 2 but hating and returning it three days later. The trackpad was awful and the whole keyboard and kickstand setup just did not work for me.

That said, reviews of the surface book have had me curious.

I went into the Microsoft store today to play with one. This thing is awesome.

I may very seriously consider this. If I buy and keep it, would be my first Windows machine at home in well over a decade.

Worst Buy is having a trade-in/coupon thing again for the SP4/Book. The tablet I don't use anymore with the coupon I could get about $220 or so says the website. That said though, I still have an iPad mini or iPad Air 2 to get rid of as well as a Surface 3 if I do go the SP4 route.

I'd keep either the iPad mini or iPad Air 2, whichever one I'd sell, I'd keep the other.

That'd leave the Surface 3 to get rid of then. Its a $900 system with the keyboard, pen, and taxes added on.

I have an earlier version of the surface. I believe they are not making windows 10 available on it. What is their thinking?

Worst Buy is having a trade-in/coupon thing again for the SP4/Book. The tablet I don't use anymore with the coupon I could get about $220 or so says the website. That said though, I still have an iPad mini or iPad Air 2 to get rid of as well as a Surface 3 if I do go the SP4 route.

I'd keep either the iPad mini or iPad Air 2, whichever one I'd sell, I'd keep the other.

That'd leave the Surface 3 to get rid of then. Its a $900 system with the keyboard, pen, and taxes added on.
Link to coupon?

Link to coupon?
Its in the ad.

I want to like the Pro 4. It's cheaper and thinner and lighter. All really good things in my world. But the chintzy keyboard and trackpad? I just don't think I can live with that. And the kickstand, sitting on my lap, or on a tray table on a plane? Just sounds like a headache. Maybe I need to go check one out at the store and see how improved these are as compared with the one I had bought and then immediately returned.

At a minimum, Windows 10 is light years better than 8. So at least there's that.

The only other complaint I can come up win on the Book is that the hinge doesn't close flat, but bulges. I often find myself cramming my Air in between books and papers in a packed bag, and it's easy to slide in and out. The Book may be a little more challenging on that front.

So Surface 3 with keyboard cover is $150 off through tomorrow. The 64GB version is 479. Good deal right? Already ordered one for my teenager.

I could use a tablet with the ability to run Office and a few other apps. Talk me out of this for myself as well.

The only other complaint I can come up win on the Book is that the hinge doesn't close flat, but bulges. I often find myself cramming my Air in between books and papers in a packed bag, and it's easy to slide in and out. The Book may be a little more challenging on that front.
The Book is a little less than 0.9 inches at its thickest point. That's about 0.2 inches thicker than the Air.

So Surface 3 with keyboard cover is $150 off through tomorrow. The 64GB version is 479. Good deal right? Already ordered one for my teenager.

I could use a tablet with the ability to run Office and a few other apps. Talk me out of this for myself as well.
I have the Surface 3 and I love it. I even do light gaming on it.

I have the Surface 3 and I love it. I even do light gaming on it.
Thanks. Already pulled the trigger for myself as well.

Work just upgraded me from a Surface pro 2 to a Surface pro 4 because I'm basically blind. 

What do I need to know?
I like mine. Be careful near edges of desks and stuff cuz the stand can slip off. 

Sometimes you you need to give it a sec when it was asleep and you try to turn it on again. Generally I'm pretty pleased with it. 

The Lenovo Yoga 900 has added the Iris Graphics 540, which is on par with the Surface Book's dGPU.  For $1,249 you can get a Yoga 900 with i7, 16 GB RAM and 512 SSD - the same configuration on a Surface Book would cost you $2,699.  If the detachable screen isn't a big deal to you then the Yoga 900 looks like a great choice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpmTSQyET2A

Microsoft is killing Apple with innovation. Bad news is MSFT did not update the Surface 3 to the 4 (the small version). Maybe in the Spring they will upgrade it. I think its the best size for a computer/tablet. The Pro is too big for my purposes although if I had a larger one, I wouldn't complain either.

Mario Kart said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpmTSQyET2A

Microsoft is killing Apple with innovation. Bad news is MSFT did not update the Surface 3 to the 4 (the small version). Maybe in the Spring they will upgrade it. I think its the best size for a computer/tablet. The Pro is too big for my purposes although if I had a larger one, I wouldn't complain either.
I think they are both doomed.

Seems to me something like this is 97% as functional at a much, much friendlier price point....

http://slickdeals.net/f/9220507-chuwi-hi10-pro-dual-os-wi-fi-tablet-intel-x5-z8300-4gb-ram-64gb-storage-1080p-160-free-shipping#comments

It's already complete madness to me that people continue to pay for "designer" phones when you can get great, great unlocked phones straight from China for about $100. Same will hold for tablets/hybrids imo.

Right now I travel with both my PC laptop (use it for excel and huge powerpoint presentations) and iPad (watching video on plane or hotel).  Thinking of moving to the Surface Pro 4.

Does it have the horsepower to run big .ppt files?  I'm sure I can still watch my Amazon and Netflix videos on it, no worries.....does anybody use it as a desktop replacement?

Tia :D

Right now I travel with both my PC laptop (use it for excel and huge powerpoint presentations) and iPad (watching video on plane or hotel).  Thinking of moving to the Surface Pro 4.

Does it have the horsepower to run big .ppt files?  I'm sure I can still watch my Amazon and Netflix videos on it, no worries.....does anybody use it as a desktop replacement?

Tia :D
Should be fine.  I use it as a desktop replacement, no sweat (and I have a middle of the road Pro 3).  

The Lenovo Yoga 900 has added the Iris Graphics 540, which is on par with the Surface Book's dGPU.  For $1,249 you can get a Yoga 900 with i7, 16 GB RAM and 512 SSD - the same configuration on a Surface Book would cost you $2,699.  If the detachable screen isn't a big deal to you then the Yoga 900 looks like a great choice.
Oddly enough, for $1,249, you can also pay a month's mortgage, a couple car payments, gambling debts, etc. the possibilities go on and on. 

Users who are viewing this thread