What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Microsoft Announces "Surface" Tablet (1 Viewer)

I think they are both doomed.

Seems to me something like this is 97% as functional at a much, much friendlier price point....

http://slickdeals.net/f/9220507-chuwi-hi10-pro-dual-os-wi-fi-tablet-intel-x5-z8300-4gb-ram-64gb-storage-1080p-160-free-shipping#comments

It's already complete madness to me that people continue to pay for "designer" phones when you can get great, great unlocked phones straight from China for about $100. Same will hold for tablets/hybrids imo.
I just want my stuff to work. It's pretty well known (see the link you provided) that the cheapo chinese crap is buggy. I LIVE on my phone. Even minor quirks/hiccups bug the #### out of me.  I'm thankfully at a point in life right now where I can swing paying a couple extra hundred bucks for a bombproof device that I know will be low-stress. No brainer. 

If these companies release an actual legit competitor with decent support (both OEM and aftermarket), I may be interested... but as for now? Nope. 

Sand said:
Should be fine.  I use it as a desktop replacement, no sweat (and I have a middle of the road Pro 3).  
Me2.  The only issue I have is the screen is a little small but even my old ### eyes can handle it. 

5Rings said:
Right now I travel with both my PC laptop (use it for excel and huge powerpoint presentations) and iPad (watching video on plane or hotel).  Thinking of moving to the Surface Pro 4.

Does it have the horsepower to run big .ppt files?  I'm sure I can still watch my Amazon and Netflix videos on it, no worries.....does anybody use it as a desktop replacement?

Tia :D
If you can, I'd wait another six months or so. The Surface line is on a, roughly, 18 month cycle. The Pro 4 came out last october so I'd imagine a new version is in the horizon. Also, prices of the 4 should be lower at that time too. 

I just want my stuff to work. It's pretty well known (see the link you provided) that the cheapo chinese crap is buggy. I LIVE on my phone. Even minor quirks/hiccups bug the #### out of me.  I'm thankfully at a point in life right now where I can swing paying a couple extra hundred bucks for a bombproof device that I know will be low-stress. No brainer. 

If these companies release an actual legit competitor with decent support (both OEM and aftermarket), I may be interested... but as for now? Nope. 
What hardware companies do you think offer decent support now?

ETA, while I'm not a MS-hater I wouldn't describe any Win10 device as bombproof or low stress. IMO it's lower stress to have a redundancy of devices so that I always have a fall back. Maybe I've just had bad luck but it seems to me just about every manufacturer can leave you hanging no matter what the price is. Not trying to convince you, just explaining my point of view.

Last edited by a moderator:
Surface Pro 5 is slated for Q1 of 2017... supposedly. No word if they are only doing the Pro or if they are updating the smaller one and/or a phone as well. We will see. 

HellToupee said:
Hmm was thinking of buying the 4 i5 128 for $699. I wonder if it's better to wait
I dove all in on i7 when Costco had them on sale for $1299 w/ keyboard and pen. Zero issues thus far and extremely happy with it. Love OneNote with the pen, feels extremely natural writing on it. 

I'm on year 4 with my surface pro 3 and it shows no signs of slowing down.  I use this thing every single day.  I had a problem when I initially bought in 2014,took it to the microsoft store and they replaced it under warranty, smooth sailing ever since.  I bought an ipad pro last year and still prefer to use my surface.

My 13” MacBook Pro is on year 9 and still cranking on daily use. SSD upgrade and replacing worn out battery and trackpad are all it’s taken. Best machine I’ve ever owned. :thumbup:  

My 13” MacBook Pro is on year 9 and still cranking on daily use. SSD upgrade and replacing worn out battery and trackpad are all it’s taken. Best machine I’ve ever owned. :thumbup:  
I should look to resurrect my 2011 MacBook Pro. Last year I was going to upgrade the hard drive but I think my logic board failed just as I ordered the new hard drive. I didn't want to deal with it so I bought a new MacBook Pro instead of a Surface Pro. I don't regret the decision because of the stuff that has been going on with the current Surface Pros but this keyboard is lackluster to say the least. How easy is it go fix a logic board / buy a logic board. I figure the computer is good to go after that but I don't want to keep sinking money into that thing.

I should look to resurrect my 2011 MacBook Pro. Last year I was going to upgrade the hard drive but I think my logic board failed just as I ordered the new hard drive. I didn't want to deal with it so I bought a new MacBook Pro instead of a Surface Pro. I don't regret the decision because of the stuff that has been going on with the current Surface Pros but this keyboard is lackluster to say the least. How easy is it go fix a logic board / buy a logic board. I figure the computer is good to go after that but I don't want to keep sinking money into that thing.
No idea but I’ll say MBP are VERY easy to work on if you have tech knowledge. Not sure if that applies to the logic board, but everything else has been simple. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krRRskzHWFE

The new Surface Go is the next Surface from Microsoft. It is an update to the Surface 3 from a few years ago. No reviews yet but I'd assume the tablet part of it with drawing capabilities is top notch because it is trying to out compete the new, cheaper, iPad. It is also trying to compete with Chrome Books and education.

For other news, look at reddit for other updates/thoughts... https://www.reddit.com/r/Surface/

I am interested in upgrading my old Surface 3.

I still want the ability to detach the screen as I use it as a tablet quite often.

What devices should I be looking at for a 2018 version of my old Surface 3?

I am interested in upgrading my old Surface 3.

I still want the ability to detach the screen as I use it as a tablet quite often.

What devices should I be looking at for a 2018 version of my old Surface 3?
I have a Surface 3 and the Surface Go is too small and the keyboard is too small, so I didn't buy it. The Pro6 looks to be pretty good especially coming from the Surface 3. The Pro5 (2017) had issues so I didn't buy that one, instead going with a new Macbook Pro (freaking keyboard is not good at all). I'm thinking of giving the Pro6 a go if I can get the financials down.

I'm thinking of giving the Pro6 a go if I can get the financials down.
I agree after looking at the specs. 

Are there any other non Surface computers in this space from other  companies that we can compare to?  The cost of the Surface 6 quickly rises once you add in the key board and other items.

I agree after looking at the specs. 

Are there any other non Surface computers in this space from other  companies that we can compare to?  The cost of the Surface 6 quickly rises once you add in the key board and other items.
https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/best-surface-pro-alternatives

Quick Google search however I'd say the HP Envy is closest. Stay away from Lenovo, or at least I do.

The good news about the Pro6 is that you can it uses the same keyboard as the Pro5 and Pro4, so if you had one of those keyboards, save money there. You can save a few bucks on Amazon with the keyboard and pen. Since you have the Surface 3, I assume you have a pen already... so, money saved.

Also, people want this USB-C, which I hate on my Macbook, so if Microsoft overhauls some things for the next iteration, this may be the last one you can buy one with USB-A. Just a thought.

The good news about the Pro6 is that you can it uses the same keyboard as the Pro5 and Pro4, so if you had one of those keyboards, save money there. You can save a few bucks on Amazon with the keyboard and pen.
In a quick search of Amazon, I see a lot of keyboards for both Pro 3 and Pro 4 but they don't mention Pro 5.  The prices vary quite a bit but some of them are quite affordable compared to what Microsoft charges.

In a quick search of Amazon, I see a lot of keyboards for both Pro 3 and Pro 4 but they don't mention Pro 5.  The prices vary quite a bit but some of them are quite affordable compared to what Microsoft charges.
MSFT didn't call it the Pro5... just Pro and switched back to Pro6 this time.

The Pen

The Keyboard

I'm trying to find out as much about the "insiders" redesign in 2019. I'm not sure how much different a redesign would be compared to the bump they brought out today. However, coming from a Surface 3, like you and I, the Pro6 would be a giant step up.

However, coming from a Surface 3, like you and I, the Pro6 would be a giant step up.
That is how I am looking at it.  My screen is all sorts of screwed up right now from weird burn in issues.

Even the base Surface 6 model of 8g ram, i5(8th gen) and 128g storage is an overall huge upgrade for me.  If I can add a $50-$75 keyboard to that, it will be in the general price range of what I want to spend.   I assume this would fit the Pro 6?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AJOX7LU/

My Surface 3 is fine... I really only use it when teaching. However, the links I provided would bump the total price to around $1,100. I guess, if I buy one and get 4 years use out of it... that is alright. My Surface 3 right now is about 3.5 years old and it still works alright. I say alright because some of the windows updates don't agree with it and some things are lagging. It's not the computer, may be the schools network, but the updates have caused issues.

This one has the 8th gen chip but the 9th gen comes out soon. Would a person using it for work and zero gaming really notice? I'm not seeing a reason to wait... although I'm trying to justify getting one as well.

That is how I am looking at it.  My screen is all sorts of screwed up right now from weird burn in issues.

Even the base Surface 6 model of 8g ram, i5(8th gen) and 128g storage is an overall huge upgrade for me.  If I can add a $50-$75 keyboard to that, it will be in the general price range of what I want to spend.   I assume this would fit the Pro 6?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AJOX7LU/
The only thing I have been able to gather is that the redesign is supposed to be out in mid-2019. What that all will have... who knows... only speculation at this point. Smaller bezels, more power, same battery life, so on. How much different will it be as far as this rendition? Minimal for the casual computer user, I'd suspect.

Also, if you can wait... maybe a Black Friday type bundle may come into play.

@NewlyRetired not sure what to think since this is from a supposed employee. Ugh.

Microsoft employee here...

After reading a lot of the commentary, or disappointment really, that was really the tone a lot of us had when we were watching the live stream or reading the latest updates from the event. Surface Headphones with USB-C and for the third generation of Pro since 2015, no USB-C? The hell? Someone mentioned that they thought the Headphones were extremely out of place for this event and may have been part of pocket Surface that got indefinitely canceled (again).

The configurations of the base model for the Pro 6 is a higher price than last generation because this ### #### thing doesn't come shipped with Windows 10 Pro, literally one of the biggest selling points for six years. This consistently inconsistent nature of Microsoft clearly will never die... ?‍♂️

I got to handle the new Pro 6 and Laptop 2 in matte black finish. Honestly, it's not really much. The Laptop doesn't look too bad, but I was let down there was no black Alcantara Type Cover for the Pro. It looks so generic with the standard black Type Cover. More concerning is the cooling design for the i5 processor. I stress tested both the 5 and 6 with all sorts of apps and Edge tabs running with videos, the 6 stuttered like hell, the 5 was able to at least handle such a load under similar conditions. Similar to how the i9 MacBook Pros get throttled down due to thermal issues, the same I could tell was happening. Worse was how the entire tablet felt rather warm, the Pro 5 felt warm around the CPU which is fine. We've been seeing some some instances of bloated batteries on the i5 Pro 5 models due partly because of thermal issues. The Pro 6 when I played with it was decently warm around the battery pack and motherboard....super concerning.

The Laptop 2 for not having a dedicated GPU is a little bit of a let down as this device is marketed towards professionals and college students that don't really know their major yet (literally is a thing) but this device isn't well suited for Photoshop work like a Book 2 is because of that dedicated GPU. A complaint of the Book 2 is sheer weight because they made that a tank, whereas a Laptop could have been a good middle ground.

Overall, I have never been so... Disappointed and let down with a Microsoft announcement/event in the many years I've worked for Microsoft and before then. This was kind of hyped up for no reason. This was just a spray paint of matte black and popped in newer gen Intel CPUs. Don't even get me started on the Studio 2 and the lack of NVIDIA 1080 as an option either...Microsoft with this event really made it look like they're just copying Apple and doing a poor job at it. Using previous gen Intel hardware, upping the cost by upping the standard base model specs and overall just making things complicated for no reason. Just as Apple has strayed from their consistent path of single perfect options and everything was logically done, this latest crop from both companies are just poor mirror reflections of either company.

I’m torn because the Go is to small and this bundle, or Costco’s, is, IMO, too weak. The 8GB is good but c’mon. Supposedly, Microsoft is redesigning the Pro for next year. Just a rumor but supposedly a valid rumor. No way Microsoft brings out a new one before October next year so I don’t know if/when I should upgrade. My Surface 3 is awesome and hasn’t slowed down for what I need it for. So, I’m torn. 

I’m torn because the Go is to small and this bundle, or Costco’s, is, IMO, too weak. The 8GB is good but c’mon. Supposedly, Microsoft is redesigning the Pro for next year. Just a rumor but supposedly a valid rumor. No way Microsoft brings out a new one before October next year so I don’t know if/when I should upgrade. My Surface 3 is awesome and hasn’t slowed down for what I need it for. So, I’m torn. 
I am thinking about it.

My Surface 3 is 128g and 4g so this would be a nice improvement all around.  I don't do anything fancy enough that would likely take advantage of what ever comes out next year.

I will let you know what I decide in a couple of weeks.  This is probably the best price I will see for a while.

I am thinking about it.

My Surface 3 is 128g and 4g so this would be a nice improvement all around.  I don't do anything fancy enough that would likely take advantage of what ever comes out next year.

I will let you know what I decide in a couple of weeks.  This is probably the best price I will see for a while.
I think I would be much more open to buying a new one if I knew I could sell mine and not have it laying around. Same with the iPad Mini 4, I have. I don't want so many devices around while I use... two or three. One thing about the Pro 6 is that it has USB 3.0 and Display Port. If the redesign does not have those... I'm not sure about switching to USB-C. I don't get the whole fetish with that.

I think I would be much more open to buying a new one if I knew I could sell mine and not have it laying around. Same with the iPad Mini 4, I have. I don't want so many devices around while I use... two or three. One thing about the Pro 6 is that it has USB 3.0 and Display Port. If the redesign does not have those... I'm not sure about switching to USB-C. I don't get the whole fetish with that.
I agree on the reuse.  I will be giving my surface 3 to my wife to replace some ancient piece of crap she still is using if I buy the 6.

I agree on the reuse.  I will be giving my surface 3 to my wife to replace some ancient piece of crap she still is using if I buy the 6.
My pro 3 is still going strong.  Great machine all around - no real reason to upgrade.  My only temptation is to get something with dedicated graphics.  Surface Book 2 looks great, but jeez you'd think it was made of gold.  And right now graphics power in laptops is screaming higher, so I'm holding out.

My pro 3 is still going strong.  Great machine all around - no real reason to upgrade.  My only temptation is to get something with dedicated graphics.  Surface Book 2 looks great, but jeez you'd think it was made of gold.  And rift now graphics power in laptops is screaming higher, so I'm holding out.
The only reason that I am thinking of going to the 6 is that my screen is messed up (some strange defects/burn in) that for me is not great to look at.  Other than that the 3 does everything I need it to do as a low powered user.

NewlyRetired said:
The only reason that I am thinking of going to the 6 is that my screen is messed up (some strange defects/burn in) that for me is not great to look at.  Other than that the 3 does everything I need it to do as a low powered user.
It's really too bad that Microsoft didn't make the Go in the size of the 3. It's also unfortunate that they keep the Go so under powered, although I think they'd rather keep the Go as a tablet more than a laptop. Maybe, just maybe, an upgraded 3 will be on the way. Apple is making three sizes of iPads... two iPad Pros and one functional iPad with drawing capability. MSFT is one small and one "normal" size. Whatever.

Checked out the Surface Go again at Best Buy. Just too small and the keyboard is just not right. The Pro 6 looked good. The new iPad Pro (11") was noticeably lighter but the weight is a small price to pay. If the Pro came with 16GB of RAM... I'd buy it right away. If there was a way to expand the RAM... GOLD!!!! It will be difficult to not buy the Costco bundle though... real difficult to not buy it.

If I had a way to sell some electronics I have (MacBook Pro 2011, needs a logic board, and the Surface 3), that money would easily go for a new Pro 6 with little out of my pocket. Ugh!

Checked out the Surface Go again at Best Buy. Just too small and the keyboard is just not right. The Pro 6 looked good. The new iPad Pro (11") was noticeably lighter but the weight is a small price to pay. If the Pro came with 16GB of RAM... I'd buy it right away. If there was a way to expand the RAM... GOLD!!!! It will be difficult to not buy the Costco bundle though... real difficult to not buy it.

If I had a way to sell some electronics I have (MacBook Pro 2011, needs a logic board, and the Surface 3), that money would easily go for a new Pro 6 with little out of my pocket. Ugh!
 *People have been mentioning the Costco package is not the 256G model, it is only 128g.  The Best Buy bundle does appear to be the 256g model, at least according to the add.  I need to check this closely before I buy as I want the 256g model.

*You won't get much but Ebay has a very active sellers market for older computers sold for parts.  A Surface 3 for parts will sell for around $70.

*Note that the Pro does come with a 16g ram version but it is not a part of these black Friday sales from what I can tell.  Here is an article on the various configs of the Surface 6

https://wccftech.com/microsoft-surface-pro-6-configurations-colors-pricing-details/

*People have been mentioning the Costco package is not the 256G model, it is only 128g.  The Best Buy bundle does appear to be the 256g model, at least according to the add.  I need to check this closely before I buy as I want the 256g model.

*You won't get much but Ebay has a very active sellers market for older computers sold for parts.  A Surface 3 for parts will sell for around $70.

*Note that the Pro does come with a 16g ram version but it is not a part of these black Friday sales from what I can tell.
The specs between the Costco and Best Buy bundles are not that much different, yet the price is $200 more.

Best Buy = 256GB, black in color, keyboard = $999

Costco = 128GB, platinum in color, keyboard, and pen = $800

All else is equal.

The specs between the Costco and Best Buy bundles are not that much different, yet the price is $200 more.

Best Buy = 256GB, black in color, keyboard = $999

Costco = 128GB, platinum in color, keyboard, and pen = $800

All else is equal.
I think I will drive to both stores to make absolutely sure what the specs are.  

I have decided to pull the trigger and purchase a Surface Pro 6 (Core I5/8g RAM/256g SSD model) on black Friday to update my Surface 3.

I read a lot of reviews but this one below was by far the most in depth and the one that had the most testing and comparing done.   I am really happy about the battery life tests in particular.

=======================

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13471/the-microsoft-surface-pro-6-review-more-than-a-color

Sales down 19% or so.. 6th largest tablet manufacturer. Just pull the plug and let it die, Bill. 
The Surface Pro is, by far, the best 2-in-1 on the market. The Go is too small for most tasks. The Pro is a good size for what it can do, which is more than an iPad. If Microsoft can bring their phone OS back with a modern phone... I'd switch.

Microsoft Event October 2nd

People on Reddit are hoping for the world here. I'm hoping for an update on the Surface 3... 11". The Surface Pro 6 came out 11.5 months before this event so I don't think the Pro will be updated. The Go came out last July so an update is more than possible. People want the Surface Book 3 but that is not my game. If the Go had a better keyboard and larger screen, I'd probably go that route but an 11" Surface... yes, please.

Users who are viewing this thread