What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Microsoft Announces "Surface" Tablet (1 Viewer)

I'm at the mercy of my IT Dept. for the upgrade to 10.

I have a 4 year old beast of a Desktop for my main machine at work still, so this is just for travel and hope use.

I convinced the IT department to give me a Surface Pro for my portable computer. Pretty happy with it overall. The battery life is good, screen resolution is nice, processor speed is good. My track pad was buggy for a day recently, but fixed itself somehow. Other than that...

Windows 8 SUCKS.
Remember to upgrade to 10 for free.And agree that 8 sucks, but 8.1 is just barely ok
Do you recommend to upgrade the Surface 3 as well to 10 or should I wait to see how people are doing with it?

Thanks for the suggestion Mario. I don't belong to Costco but BJ's was running a good package deal.

I got the Microsoft Surface 3 tablet (4g ram, 128g storage), the pen and the keyboard for $699.
That seems to be the "normal" deal. I think I misquoted mine above cause I essentially got 15% or so off. I think I paid $680 or so with everything I had listed above... with the case. I'm going to be hopefully using it in the classroom so I bought a case for it otherwise I would have had all that for about $600.
$600 would have been great but I could not find it.

Do you remember if yours was the 4gb/128 or the 2gb/64 model? The 4gb model adds around a $100 to the list price.
I used my 10% educator discount on the package so -$70 and then I went back the following week and used the movers coupon which is 10% off of one item... got about $55 off there. Some Best Buys don't do the movers discount but mine did. :)

Sold mine. It's a great machine, I'm just not enough of a Windows guy. if you like or have to use windows, I can't recommend it enough.

Yes, the kickstand is adjustable and although not ideal, it can be used like a "laptop". The best thing about this configuration is that the processor and internals that generate heat are off the legs, allowing it to stay more comfortable. The worst part is that the balance of horizontal to vertical is strange and the surface is prone to tipping over backwards.

Can the surface sit on your leg or lap with the keyboard?
The Surface Pro 3 has multiple levels in the kick stand.

The Surface 3 has 3 levels for the kick stand

Here is a picture of what you are asking

http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/surface-pro-3-gallery-16.jpg
:thumbup:

Thanks for the link to the pic and others answering this. Believe it or not this was going to be a deal breaker for me. I've been holding out but think I'll pick one up.

Last edited by a moderator:

http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/surface-pro-3-gallery-16.jpg
:thumbup: Thanks for the link to the pic and others answering this. Believe it or not this was going to be a deal breaker for me. I've been holding out but think I'll pick one up.
If you have a microsoft store near you, you can try it out to see if your are comfortable with it.

:thumbup: Thanks for the link to the pic and others answering this. Believe it or not this was going to be a deal breaker for me. I've been holding out but think I'll pick one up.
If you have a microsoft store near you, you can try it out to see if your are comfortable with it.
Everytime I'm in the Burlington mall I stop in to play with them . They have stools but was wondering about sitting on a couch like at home.

I haven't used windows since ME

Everytime I'm in the Burlington mall I stop in to play with them . They have stools but was wondering about sitting on a couch like at home.I haven't used windows since ME
Lol, I was just at the Burlington Mall yesterday using the Surface to see what I thought of it :)

A true laptop will always be better than a Surface on a lap unless you're using a board or something.

I'm impressed with it and it is much better than an iPad... and I've been an Apple user for ten years. We thought Apple was such an innovative company but whoever is pushing the Surface at MSFT should get a huge raise cause it is a much better tablet than an iPad. The only downfall is the MSFT app store.

I agree that it's not great as an "on the lap" laptop - though when I am in that comfortable a situation, it's rarely when I am in need of typing fast, so I ususally just go tablet when in the lounger or laying down.

Question:

When you guys use the surface as a tablet, do you use the pen or your finger as the pointing device?

As an ipad user the past 5+ years, I have never used a pen to point and click.

Question:

When you guys use the surface as a tablet, do you use the pen or your finger as the pointing device?

I use the pen. It really doesn't inhibit anything while using the tablet. The Surface also has recognition software so it you are resting your hand on the tablet you can still use the pen. As an iPad user myself, I am shocked at how limiting the iPad is now that I have the Surface.

Question:

I use the pen. It really doesn't inhibit anything while using the tablet. The Surface also has recognition software so it you are resting your hand on the tablet you can still use the pen. As an iPad user myself, I am shocked at how limiting the iPad is now that I have the Surface.
Gave my iPad away about 6 months ago to wife and my (well, wife's technically) god daughter. I had literally not turned it on since I bought the surface.

Question:

Gave my iPad away about 6 months ago to wife and my (well, wife's technically) god daughter. I had literally not turned it on since I bought the surface.
Can you guys describe some of the differences/advantages of the surface over tge ipad (outside of the keyboard)?

Can you guys describe some of the differences/advantages of the surface over tge ipad (outside of the keyboard)?
Display: Surface 10.8" | iPad 9.7"

Resolution: Surface 214ppi | iPad 264ppi

Weight: Surface 622g | iPad 437G

Pen/Keyboard: Surface=yes | iPad=no

Memory: Surface=2GB/4GB | iPad=2GB

Storage: Surface=64GB/128GB | iPad=16GB/64GB/128GB

MicroSD Slot(s): Surface=yes | iPad=no

Battery (video): Surface 10hr | iPad unkn

Battery (other): Surface 15hr | iPad 10hr

Price: Surface ~$400 | iPad ~$500

Personal opinion: The Surface has the ability to replace your laptop/desktop as a 'do-everything' computer (but the key here is it really is still a tablet, size wise) whereas the iPad simply is, just a tablet. I use my surface to do all the tablet things (Google Calendar/Mail, Facebook, etc.) but it affords me the ability to do items for work and home finance, but the big deal is my kids can use it for their school work. To reach the same level I would be dragging a Mac Air around with me, but that would be a different comparison...

Edit: The removable MicroSD is irreplaceable in my opinion as well, and I never use the pen...

Krankie said:
NewlyRetired said:
Display: Surface 10.8" | iPad 9.7"

Resolution: Surface 214ppi | iPad 264ppi

Weight: Surface 622g | iPad 437G

Pen/Keyboard: Surface=yes | iPad=no

Memory: Surface=2GB/4GB | iPad=2GB

Storage: Surface=64GB/128GB | iPad=16GB/64GB/128GB

MicroSD Slot(s): Surface=yes | iPad=no

Battery (video): Surface 10hr | iPad unkn

Battery (other): Surface 15hr | iPad 10hr

Price: Surface ~$400 | iPad ~$500

Personal opinion: The Surface has the ability to replace your laptop/desktop as a 'do-everything' computer (but the key here is it really is still a tablet, size wise) whereas the iPad simply is, just a tablet. I use Umy surface to do all the tablet things (Google Calendar/Mail, Facebook, etc.) but it affords me the ability to do items for work and home finance, but the big deal is my kids can use it for their school work. To reach the same level I would be dragging a Mac Air around with me, but that would be a different comparison...

Edit: The removable MicroSD is irreplaceable in my opinion as well, and I never use the pen...
Thanks, I made a similar list of differences here (see link below). I was talking more about general use than specs, which your personal opinion answered nicely.

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?/topic/644511-microsoft-announces-surface-tablet/?p=18195579

Are there Surface builds with more ram? 4gm is probably not sufficient for Lightroom and Photoshop.

Also, trying one out the touch pad really bugged me. As in "worst I've ever used" kind of bugged me. I haven't seen much said about the touch pad here. Is that because you guys always find yourself using the touch screen given the form factor?

Are there Surface builds with more ram? 4gm is probably not sufficient for Lightroom and Photoshop.

Also, trying one out the touch pad really bugged me. As in "worst I've ever used" kind of bugged me. I haven't seen much said about the touch pad here. Is that because you guys always find yourself using the touch screen given the form factor?
Yes:

With the new i7 variant, the Surface Pro 3 is now available in the following six versions and prices:

• Intel Core i3 -- 64GB, 4GB RAM - $799
  • Intel Core i5 -- 128GB, 4GB RAM - $999
  • Intel Core i5 -- 256GB, 8GB RAM - $1,299
  • Intel Core i7 -- 128GB, 8GB RAM - $1,299
  • Intel Core i7 -- 256GB, 8GB RAM - $1,549
  • Intel Core i7 -- 512GB, 8GB RAM - $1,999

On my Windows tablet (not a Surface) I rarely use the track pad. Only if I am working in Office (primarily Excel) do I use the track pad.

I have been setting up my Surface 3 for the past couple of hours and everything is going well.

The only item that I can't seem to fix yet is the sound. I am not getting sound from any application or web site. Neither the speakers nor plugging in headphones produce any sound.

The speaker volume appears to be set in the middle of the mixer.

I feel like I am being muted by some higher level filter but I have not been able to locate it yet.

I am in the middle of downloading a few programs so I don't want to reboot yet to see if that clears things up.

Has anyone run into sound issues out of the box with a Surface?

I have been setting up my Surface 3 for the past couple of hours and everything is going well.

The only item that I can't seem to fix yet is the sound. I am not getting sound from any application or web site. Neither the speakers nor plugging in headphones produce any sound.

The speaker volume appears to be set in the middle of the mixer.

I feel like I am being muted by some higher level filter but I have not been able to locate it yet.

I am in the middle of downloading a few programs so I don't want to reboot yet to see if that clears things up.

Has anyone run into sound issues out of the box with a Surface?
A regular power down power up did not clear the problem but these steps below fixed the issue

Use this two-button shutdown process to ensure that Surface is turned off completely. Here’s how:

Step 1:

Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and tap or click Settings, tap or click Power, and then tap or click Shut down to shut down Surface.

If you can’t shut down Surface normally, press and hold the power button on your Surface for 30 seconds.

Step 2:

After Surface turns off, press and hold the volume-up button and the power button on your Surface at the same time for at least 15 seconds, and then release both.

The screen may flash the Surface logo, but continue holding the buttons down for at least 15 seconds.

Step 3:

After you release the buttons, wait 10 seconds. Step 4: Press and release the power button again to turn your Surface back on.

Yes:

With the new i7 variant, the Surface Pro 3 is now available in the following six versions and prices:

• Intel Core i3 -- 64GB, 4GB RAM - $799
  • Intel Core i5 -- 128GB, 4GB RAM - $999
  • Intel Core i5 -- 256GB, 8GB RAM - $1,299
  • Intel Core i7 -- 128GB, 8GB RAM - $1,299
  • Intel Core i7 -- 256GB, 8GB RAM - $1,549
  • Intel Core i7 -- 512GB, 8GB RAM - $1,999
My wife does a lot of Graphic Design work and even the Surface 1 works for her... she's dying to get the new one, though.

Is there an easy way to find out which model of surface you are looking at? My wife is interested in buying a friend of our's surface that they don't use anymore, but they don't remember which model it is.

The few things I know about it is, it has 128gb storage and if I remember right, the i5.

Is there an easy way to find out which model of surface you are looking at? My wife is interested in buying a friend of our's surface that they don't use anymore, but they don't remember which model it is.

The few things I know about it is, it has 128gb storage and if I remember right, the i5.
Bring up the charms menu (mouse in upper right corner)

Choose settings -> Pc Info

That gives me all the HW details of my Surface 3

Seatown Mofos said:

If the screen is small it is the Surface Pro 2. If it is larger than it is the Surface Pro 3.

When in tablet mode, how do I do these two things? I can do anything I want when I have a mouse attached but I am not aware of what finger gestures I need to perform these actions.

1) "right click"

2) copy and paste text

The only negative I have encountered the first couple of days is how fast the batteries drain.

I am so used to my old ipad's 10 hours and it feels like I am getting about half of that on the surface 3 even though I am running the same type of stuff.

The only negative I have encountered the first couple of days is how fast the batteries drain.

I am so used to my old ipad's 10 hours and it feels like I am getting about half of that on the surface 3 even though I am running the same type of stuff.
Google how to extend the battery with different settings.

Screen brightness tends to be the most draining. Where is yours at? Bluetooth on/off? Wifi searching? Stuff like that.

Mario Kart said:
NewlyRetired said:

Google how to extend the battery with different settings.

Screen brightness tends to be the most draining. Where is yours at? Bluetooth on/off? Wifi searching? Stuff like that.
I have it set up identical to my ipad I think.

Screen brightness is just one level above minimum. Wifi is on always since that is the mode I use the machine in.

I will check on bluetooth to see if I can shut that off.

I upgraded my Surface 3 to Windows 10 and it has gone very smoothly.

The only two items I would like to find improvements for are

1) In tablet mode, Firefox automatically recognizing that I need the virtual keyboard when touching a text field. I have been using the new Microsoft Edge in place of Firefox in tablet mode because of this but I would prefer to use Firefox

2) Having the Windows 10 mail app allow yahoo mail to be downloaded when as soon as it is received instead of using a 15 minute timer.

When you guys use your Surface in tablet mode, what browser do you use?

I have been having problems with both Edge and Firefox when using it as a tablet but both function perfectly when in laptop mode.

So I am considering getting a Surface. General tablet use, but definitely office app usage, as well as wanting some mild gaming with Steam games, etc. I was thinking about the Pro 3 with 256 GB SSD and i5. Go with that or wait on the Pro 4?

So I am considering getting a Surface. General tablet use, but definitely office app usage, as well as wanting some mild gaming with Steam games, etc. I was thinking about the Pro 3 with 256 GB SSD and i5. Go with that or wait on the Pro 4?
If you do gaming at all I would wait for the 4. If you would only use it for office tasks then the 3 is plenty.

If you do gaming at all I would wait for the 4. If you would only use it for office tasks then the 3 is plenty.
No specs have been released for the 4 as of yet. Why the wait? Assuming better GPU capability?

I'm waiting for the pro 4 after having been very close to pulling the trigger on the pro 3.

Better battery life, faster processor, born with win 10 are all immense bonuses in my mind. Add that to rumors of a better screen...

http://www.theverge.com/2015/8/20/9181253/microsoft-surface-pro-4-hardware-event-launch-october-rumors

And with Apples pricing it is unlikely to be a lot more expensive than the pro 3 is now. SO when it comes out you can choose between a heavily discounted 3 or the aforementioned advantages at full price.

It will depend on the level of the games.

Search out the ones you want to play and then google the name with Surface Pro 3. There will be videos showing how they run.

In general, it will have to be older games or non taxing games.

I can run items like Darkest Dungeon, Path of Exile, Hearthstone on my Surface 3. The Surface 3 Pro is a stronger machine but not by much. And Path of exile by itself can be taxing in a heavy screen action situation.

I've been doing a lot of research into this as well, and I've come across the HP Spectre. I'm waiting on the Pro 4 just to see what happens, but I'm leaning one way for sure.

It's a bigger screen, far more durable. Functions as a laptop better and as a tablet just as well.

Here is the graphics spec for the version with 256 GB SSD: Intel HD Graphics 5500. Best the Surface does is 5000 version of same thing.

No specs have been released for the 4 as of yet. Why the wait? Assuming better GPU capability?
Gotta take it with a grain of salt but Intel is claiming the Gen9 graphics in Skylake chips is 50% better in 3D gaming.

For the release in October to hold it would make sense for the device to be unveiled at IFA in Berlin end this week,

Lenovo has made a Surface "Clone" called Miix 700 although there is very little yet on the specs other than the processor is Skylake

http://www.theverge.com/2015/9/2/9241867/lenovo-ideapad-miix-7-tablet
Similarities aside, Lenovo is shipping its Miix 700 with Intel's latest Skylake processors. Models go all the way up to the Core m7 coupled with up to 8GB of RAM. There's even the option of adding LTE or Intel's RealSense 3D camera if you want to capture depth images from the rear camera. Lenovo is planning to release its Ideapad Miix 700 in November priced from $699.
Looks like MS has some serious competition.

Users who are viewing this thread