What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Retired Cop Kills Man for Texting (1 Viewer)

I don't know the timelines, but reading the article it appears to me like he texted before the previews started.
Does this matter? Is that the movie theater's rule?
Ofcourse it matters! I go to the movies quite a bit and see people on their phones til the movie starts, i dont try to be the "movie cop" good grief...
Can't say I disagree. Was just asking because it seemed like the distinction that he was texting before the previews rather than during the previews had some bearing on him being a hypocrite with respect to texting in a movie theater then getting into it with someone else who was doing what he had just been doing.

Temper, temper

One witness reported hearing one of the men — the witness didn't know which — say "Touch me again and I'll kill you," before the shot was fired. Others heard one say something that sounded like "get out of my face."
http://www.tampabay.com/news/courts/criminal/pretial-set-for-this-morning-in-movie-theater-shooting-case/2169793
Given that it's Florida, if a witness testifies to this in court, the shooter could very easily be acquitted.

Temper, temper

One witness reported hearing one of the men — the witness didn't know which — say "Touch me again and I'll kill you," before the shot was fired. Others heard one say something that sounded like "get out of my face."
http://www.tampabay.com/news/courts/criminal/pretial-set-for-this-morning-in-movie-theater-shooting-case/2169793
Given that it's Florida, if a witness testifies to this in court, the shooter could very easily be acquitted.
Thats ridiculous....

Florida is well on their way to codifying that it is legal to kill someone for an empty threat. WTF, just give it to ####### Cuba already. That's what it's turning into.

Temper, temper

Did everyone miss this???

Matthew Reeves, the defendant's son, said in an interview with deputies after the Jan. 13 shooting that he was running late to meet his parents for a 1:20 p.m. show of Lone Survivor. He texted his father that he was on the way.

His father wrote back that he and his wife, Vivian, were in their seats.

:shock:

i hope that his jboy goes away for life and the sad thing is that there is not a lot of his life left and he deserves so muhc more time to think about this and never sleep at night if i was this laroosh i would take out a huge life insurance polciy on myself and make the wife and kid of the man i murdered the beneficiary and then just let the guys in prison do what they are sure to do to this guy take that to the bank bromigos

Man who killed inside movie theater after texting dispute freed on bond

http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/11/us/movie-theater-shooter-released-on-bond/index.html
This is ####... Guy should be locked up for the rest of his life. ####### scumbag, hope someone clips him.
Hey the man was assaulted (and possibly buttered) with popcorn. He had every right to go out to his car, grab his gun, come back and kill the texter. Stand your ground and all that.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/11/us/movie-theater-shooter-released-on-bond/index.html
This is ####... Guy should be locked up for the rest of his life. ####### scumbag, hope someone clips him.
Calm down ladies. It's just on bond. He still has to stand trial.
I understand this, but the guy is 71... He should be in jail until he stops breathing. He gets the next however long this takes in Florida to have some freedom, which he doesn't deserve.

I understand this, but the guy is 71... He should be in jail until he stops breathing. He gets the next however long this takes in Florida to have some freedom, which he doesn't deserve.
So you're advocating age discrimination.

So you're advocating age discrimination.
Maybe a little in this circumstance, but if he was 32 I would also be unhappy about this, but at 32 on second degree murder, you still have the chance of seeing the light of day if convicted. This guy should never have freedom again.

Let's just get rid of the court system we currently have. :coffee:

Let's just get rid of the court system we currently have. :coffee:
You're right, he killed a dude over nothing. Now a little girl will never know her dad... It is documented he has been confrontational like this before. There is a room full of witnesses who have said this is murder. There is video.

Yea, he should be home on bond :thumbup:

I didn't know bond was determined on the strength of the evidence before a defense has been mounted.
I actually remember hearing the judge in the Hernandez case say during the arraignment something along these lines; due to the amount of evidence bond is denied.

ETA: It is a murder case which appears to have overwhelming evidence, I just don't see how someone is let free during trial in this circumstance.

Last edited by a moderator:
fantasycurse seems very emotionally tied to this case. :hangover:
Are you processing this in slow motion? This guy murdered someone for no reason in front of a room of witnesses. The man had a baby daughter, now their family is destroyed. The murderer also from witness accounts was the aggressor and instigator. Sorry if I feel strongly he should be in jail :shrug:

It's been almost a year and this still hasn't gone to trial.... Can his lawyer just keep delaying this?

It's not uncommon for a trial to be delayed for a year or more, especially if the defendant is out of custody and willing to waive speedy trial rights.

It's not uncommon for a trial to be delayed for a year or more, especially if the defendant is out of custody and willing to waive speedy trial rights.
Honest question, this over 3 years at this point - how is that possible? This has to be an outlier?

Honest question, this over 3 years at this point - how is that possible? This has to be an outlier?
There's a number of ways it's possible.  I just can't explain it specifically as it pertains to this case since, generally, newspaper articles/reports aren't completely accurate and oftentimes (understandably since a journalist isn't a lawyer) mischaracterize or err in explaining the current procedural status of a case. 

His wife was horribly offended by this guy saying the F word.

I guess bad language is frowned upon, but killing strangers is acceptable in her opinion.
I really hope we live in a country where this case is clearly murder. This coward, an outlier I might add, makes it more that much more difficult for the public to get behind sensible gun rights, not easier.

I didn't know bond was determined on the strength of the evidence before a defense has been mounted.
It can be.  Generally, a court, in deciding bond (whether to give it in some circumstances and if they're giving it, how much it should be) must determine whether the defendant has ties to the community/is a flight risk and whether he's a risk to reoffend.  Additionally, some state law (like Arizona's) may permit a court to also factor in the strength of the evidence against the defendant.  In AZ, certain crimes are considered to be non-bondable if the "proof is evident and presumption great" that the defendant will go to prison. 

I still say if the guy threw something at him first, which he clearly does in the video, then I think there is room for the stand your ground defense.  As dumb as it may be, throwing something at someone is assault.  It's an old guy, so it's felony assault.  I think standing your ground in the defense of a felony assault could fly.

I still think they need to alter the SYG law to make it legal if flight isn't possible.  That would have gotten Zimmerman, since he followed & confronted before he stood his ground.

No other movie goers in the theater at that time? Odd that the only two witnesses are the wives.

And who the #### brings a gun inside a movie theater? Was he worried about a Dark Knight scenario?

I still say if the guy threw something at him first, which he clearly does in the video, then I think there is room for the stand your ground defense.  As dumb as it may be, throwing something at someone is assault.  It's an old guy, so it's felony assault.  I think standing your ground in the defense of a felony assault could fly.

I still think they need to alter the SYG law to make it legal if flight isn't possible.  That would have gotten Zimmerman, since he followed & confronted before he stood his ground.
Yeah, that's it.  Don't bring popcorn to a gunfight. 

No other movie goers in the theater at that time? Odd that the only two witnesses are the wives.

And who the #### brings a gun inside a movie theater? Was he worried about a Dark Knight scenario?
With no people in the theatre one of the two parties should have just switched seats. In todays day and age why have a conflict when it could have been easily avoided? 

No, throwing something at an elderly person would be classified as a misdemeanor:

https://www.felonyflorida.com/assault-or-battery-on-a-person-over-65-years-of-age-florida-stat.html

Punishment for Assault on an Elderly Person

The crime is considered a first-degree misdemeanor which is punishable by a maximum of 365 days in jail and a $1,000 fine.
To be considered a battery on an elderly person he would have had to have touched him or struck him with something and that would be a felony:

Battery on an Elderly Person

What the State Has to Prove for You to Be Convicted of Battery on an Elderly Person

In order for the state to convict you of battery on an elderly person, the state must prove:

(1) You intentionally touched the person without consent; and
(2) The person was 65 years of age or older.

Punishment for Battery on an Elderly Person

Normal battery is a first-degree misdemeanor but since the victim is elderly, the crime is changed into a third-degree felony which is punishable up to 5 years in prison and a $5,000 find.

Throwing pop corn is a felony assault? and in your opinion it justifies the shooting?

Tell me this is :fishing: please.

See this is why we can't have things.

Do you see how your POV is making it harder to carry sensibly, not easier?

C'mon man. Be better.

Users who are viewing this thread