What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What is the best mattress? (1 Viewer)

I pulled the trigger on a memory foam (medium firmness) primarily we have 120 days to trade it in or get our money back. The store asked us to be committed to at least 30 days as it takes some getting used to and the bed needs to break in. How long to really break in? It is definitely firmer than the one we tried in the store and I am not really caring for it at the beginning but am definitely committed to seeing this through. 
My biggest issue with my memory foam is the heat.  I can't even use the pillows anymore without sweating up a storm.  And the mattress has a bit of a lump built up in the middle unfortunately.  

PIK95 said:
My biggest issue with my memory foam is the heat.  I can't even use the pillows anymore without sweating up a storm.  And the mattress has a bit of a lump built up in the middle unfortunately.  
It's definitely warm but we haven't found it to be to hot yet. It's supposed to have a cooling agent, not sure if that's helping or not.

If we get any indention beyond a 1/4 inch anywhere, we get it replaced. 

I had the Salvation Army come and pick one up once. Go online and see if available in your area. Easy peasy.
I'm out in the boonies. Only chance to have it picked up is if I had bought a new one at a store and had it delivered. It's worth the $30 fee with the massive online savings.

I went through the discount link on mattress underground and just ordered what I believe is the best fit for us, the Ultimate Dreams Supreme 12" Gel Memory Foam. You get $50 off plus two free shredded memory foam pillows and a free set of sheets. 
How's it treating you so far?

Any recommendations on sleepnumber model?

Need a split king with the flex-two base.  Trying not to go broke.  Couldn't care less about any of the smart technology.

Last edited by a moderator:
tonydead said:
Any recommendations on sleepnumber model?

Need a split king with the flex-two base.  Trying not to go broke.  Couldn't care less about any of the smart technology.
I'm probably in the minority but I don't care for our sleep number.

Thx, what are the negatives?  Reading around they take some maintenance?

Air mattresses rank high for reducing back pain and longevity.  My top 2.  Are you finding these true?
Ours has developed some issues with the inflation and controls. Probably do need someone to come out and look. I just personally don't like the feel. Not enough padding on top and it really is like sleeping on an air mattress. Either too hard or you sink down in the middle and just not very comfortable. YMMV.

Go to the store and lie on the different models. Of course when I did it felt pretty comfortable there.

Good luck.

SleepNumber's ILE (their most expensive bed) is 50% off. That puts it in the price range of middle of the pack models P5-P6. Too good to pass up since I was going to get a sleep number anyway. 

• Black Friday.  :pickle:

SleepNumber's ILE (their most expensive bed) is 50% off. That puts it in the price range of middle of the pack models P5-P6. Too good to pass up since I was going to get a sleep number anyway. 

• Black Friday.  :pickle:
Had two different ones for 17 years. Best mattress ever. And I'm picky as can be when it comes to a mattress.

cap'n grunge said:
I haven't issues with heat from my memory foam. It's just too dang hard.
Many people think memory foam is like sleeping on wet sand...molds to your body but hard. You tend to lay more on top of latex foam but still very supportive of your body.

Just bought one of those tuft and needle mattresses. Love it so far and nice to be able to sleep on it for 100 nights and decide if we want to return it. About 3 weeks in now.

Many people think memory foam is like sleeping on wet sand...molds to your body but hard. You tend to lay more on top of latex foam but still very supportive of your body.
The wet sand comment is pretty accurate. I'm curious about the Purple mattress. Anyone have any feedback there?

Been sleeping on it for 2 weeks and love it.  I can fall asleep on just about any mattress or chair so this purchase was for my wife who has some minor back issues.  She says its fantastic and isn't waking up with back pain nor is she spending the night tossing and turning because she can't get comfortable.  I find it very comfortable as well though I'd be fine with a $400 Costco mattress but then again it isn't about me.  Happy wife = happy life so it's been a good purchase.

Just bought one of those tuft and needle mattresses. Love it so far and nice to be able to sleep on it for 100 nights and decide if we want to return it. About 3 weeks in now.
Still love my T&N, once I added a cheapo topper from Walmart, as it was sleeping a little hot for me, but the topper solved that issue. 

Still love this?  Is it firm?
My only complaint is my husband never snored before we got this bed, and now he does. I think he is getting a deeper sleep or something. It is still firm, and I still like it. I just don't enjoy going to bed at the same time or after him.

My only complaint is my husband never snored before we got this bed, and now he does. I think he is getting a deeper sleep or something. It is still firm, and I still like it. I just don't enjoy going to bed at the same time or after him.
Thanks so much. I have no slumber parties planned with your husband, so should be good to go.

We are about to take back our memory foam mattress from Mattress Firm. We have a 120 day trial and are 90 days in. We like the feel but hate the heat! Thinking about trying Nectar. Any other suggestions? 

We are about to take back our memory foam mattress from Mattress Firm. We have a 120 day trial and are 90 days in. We like the feel but hate the heat! Thinking about trying Nectar. Any other suggestions? 
I am an advocate of latex mattresses, however; full disclosure I have never slept on a memory foam mattress.  Having said that...

Sleep On Latex Pure Green Natural Latex mattress gets good reviews on Consumer Reports

Zenhaven is an all latex bed in box type mattress available at a decent price with a good return policy

Dreamfoam Ultimate Dreams Total Latex Mattress... Dreamfoam is a company highly recommended by mattress underground who is very particular about mattress makers

The reason I recommend latex based on your comments is that I don't think latex sleeps as hot as memory foam.  I think you would be good with a full latex mattress.

One last recommendation, mattress underground also recommends Brooklyn Bedding a lot and I think their mattress is more affordable and has a top latex layer.

I am an advocate of latex mattresses, however; full disclosure I have never slept on a memory foam mattress.  Having said that...

Sleep On Latex Pure Green Natural Latex mattress gets good reviews on Consumer Reports

Zenhaven is an all latex bed in box type mattress available at a decent price with a good return policy

Dreamfoam Ultimate Dreams Total Latex Mattress... Dreamfoam is a company highly recommended by mattress underground who is very particular about mattress makers

The reason I recommend latex based on your comments is that I don't think latex sleeps as hot as memory foam.  I think you would be good with a full latex mattress.

One last recommendation, mattress underground also recommends Brooklyn Bedding a lot and I think their mattress is more affordable and has a top latex layer.
I'll add Ghost Bed to this. It's got a latex top layer and sleeps nice and cool. I've had mine for about 18 months and never slept better.

Was this the Tulo?  I am going to go and try one out this afternoon.

Been sleeping on it for 2 weeks and love it.  I can fall asleep on just about any mattress or chair so this purchase was for my wife who has some minor back issues.  She says its fantastic and isn't waking up with back pain nor is she spending the night tossing and turning because she can't get comfortable.  I find it very comfortable as well though I'd be fine with a $400 Costco mattress but then again it isn't about me.  Happy wife = happy life so it's been a good purchase.
Any more updates? Does it sleep hot or cool? I’m debating a Purple or Sealy Coccoon Chill Soft. Or he’ll, maybe even something else altogether.

I somehow bent the springs on my memory foam box spring.  Can you buy those online?  The mattress seems to be fine.

It seems like no matter what kind I researched there were people on both sides of the fence. The last mattress we purchased was $1500 and was great for about a year, but now I wake up feeling like my back was in a car wreck the day before. So after wavering on several brands, I said "F it" and bought a $150 Walmart mattress in a box. The reviews were actually pretty good, and a lot of what I read said that all mattresses are good for the first year before failing, so it doesn't matter what kind you get.

Well, the mattress in a box has sucked so far. Back hurts just as bad, just higher up now and it's not as comfortable in general. 

Anyone heard of Essentia mattresses? It is definitely pricey but the Stratami ranks pretty highly on Consumer Reports, along with Reverie. Looking at their Classic 8 mattress which has some memory foam on top with a dunlop latex base, and it appears to be less firm than their Stratami/Beausommet mattresses.

FWIW, I have tried a Leesa and returned it. Hated it. I'm 6'2" / 225 lbs and sleep mostly on my back, sometimes side, prefer a medium-firm mattress. 

Looking at:

Essentia

PerformaSleep

Ikea Morgongava

TEMPUR-Contour Rhapsody Luxe (appears to be their medium-firm mattress)

I would prefer something with at least a little bit of memory foam as it helps with pressure relief for my lower back, so that might rule out Ikea's mattress.

Jobber said:
Any more updates? Does it sleep hot or cool? I’m debating a Purple or Sealy Coccoon Chill Soft. Or he’ll, maybe even something else altogether.
Still loving it after 5 months.  Weather is just starting to warm up here (WI) so I haven’t had an issue with it sleeping too warm.  Though it’s definitely cooler than a memory foam.  It’s very comfortable and you don’t notice your spouse tossing and turning all night.

FWIW - Looks like Casper is opening stores as I saw one in The Domain in Austin last week. Also they are doing some work with American Airlines with their product in the first class seats.

My Dad used to say, "misery loves company" when talking about a couple of my childhood friends. So, as a PSA I just bought This queen 14" med-firm  Gel/memory foam mattress at Costco for $400 and thought it was a decent enough deal to move into the world of foam. If you do not have a membership, someone that does can purchase you a Costco Cash Card . Come join my (probable) misery. Thanks to everyone who contributed their experiences and insights in this thread.

shameless and selfish bump as last night was literally the straw that broke the refs back......have been dealing with some back discomfort every morning now for a while that is directly related to our old mattress...wife same thing.... in hip/back areas....we are due for a new mattress like as soon as this weekend type of thing...I reviewed this thread starting with the 2017 postings to try and get the most updated info...just wondering if there are any more updates....?

I sleep very hot....head and body...so need something cool....and probably on the firm side...but love the feel of like feathertop

from what I can gather....latex may be the way to go as I hate the sleeping in wet sand feel....

looking at trying to keep around $1000...preferably less....but give or take a couple hundy....

will do more research on my own but kind of trust testimonial in here more than on line reviews and rankings...

what I am seeing in here seems to like these:

Zenhaven by Saatva

Sleep on Latex (Pure Green)

Casper

Tuft and Needle

Dreamfoam

Brooklyn Bedding

Ghost

any comments or updates much appreciated......tia ...Ref

shameless and selfish bump as last night was literally the straw that broke the refs back......have been dealing with some back discomfort every morning now for a while that is directly related to our old mattress...wife same thing.... in hip/back areas....we are due for a new mattress like as soon as this weekend type of thing...I reviewed this thread starting with the 2017 postings to try and get the most updated info...just wondering if there are any more updates....?

I sleep very hot....head and body...so need something cool....and probably on the firm side...but love the feel of like feathertop

from what I can gather....latex may be the way to go as I hate the sleeping in wet sand feel....

looking at trying to keep around $1000...preferably less....but give or take a couple hundy....

will do more research on my own but kind of trust testimonial in here more than on line reviews and rankings...

Zenhaven by Saatva

Casper

Tuft and Needle

Dreamfoam

Brooklyn Bedding

Ghost

Purple is fantastic.  My wife has back issues and absolutely loves our purple (Got it in Nov).  Also it sleeps cool.  Don't know much about the others but I really like our Purple.

Zenhaven by Saatva

Casper

Tuft and Needle

Dreamfoam

Brooklyn Bedding

Ghost

Wife and I are about 2 months in to our new Helix and we both have nothing but positive things to say.  We took the quiz and decided to blend as opposed to splitting the mattress.  She's a side sleeper and Im a stomach sleeper and it's soft but supportive, just like we had hoped for.  For the first time in years Im waking up without an aching back.

My Dad used to say, "misery loves company" when talking about a couple of my childhood friends. So, as a PSA I just bought This queen 14" med-firm  Gel/memory foam mattress at Costco for $400 and thought it was a decent enough deal to move into the world of foam. If you do not have a membership, someone that does can purchase you a Costco Cash Card . Come join my (probable) misery. Thanks to everyone who contributed their experiences and insights in this thread.
What are your thoughts so far?

What are your thoughts so far?
Both my wife and I like it very much. Switched from a coil mattress with no foam top. Good firmness. Heat hasn't been an issue but we are in W Mich so hasn't been too hot yet. Would recommend for the price we paid ($400 + tax + $60 Costco membership). I read somewhere these are manufactured by Sleep Innovations but didn't confirm. Similar model on Amazon by Sleep Innovations was $750 (I believe) when we bought this. Lowest price 20-year gel I've run into.

bump - My mattress is dead so i am looking at the Nova Foam (med/stiff) and Comfort Tech (med/Firm) from costco - both around 700.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.  

Users who are viewing this thread