What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What is the best mattress? (1 Viewer)

My Dad used to say, "misery loves company" when talking about a couple of my childhood friends. So, as a PSA I just bought This queen 14" med-firm  Gel/memory foam mattress at Costco for $400 and thought it was a decent enough deal to move into the world of foam. If you do not have a membership, someone that does can purchase you a Costco Cash Card . Come join my (probable) misery. Thanks to everyone who contributed their experiences and insights in this thread.
How is this mattress working out for you?   Is it too firm or just right?

How is this mattress working out for you?   Is it too firm or just right?
We like it quite a bit. The only negative is that the edges are quite soft given the gel top. Heat hasn't been a problem which I was concerned about moving from a spring mattress. All-in-all I think it was a fantastic value at $400.

Anyone get a Purple mattress?  Our bed in a box is about 7 years old, and we’re thinking it’s time for an upgrade.  What’s it like?  We like somewhat firm — like our memory foam mattresses we’ve had.  

Is Purple great?  Casper?  Those fancy Sleep Number beds?

Bump.  Wife and I are both back sleepers looking for a new king bed.  Seems like internet foam mattresses are the way to go.

My only complaint is my husband never snored before we got this bed, and now he does. I think he is getting a deeper sleep or something. It is still firm, and I still like it. I just don't enjoy going to bed at the same time or after him.
I am late to this but, as someone who had a really bad back that is now hugely better due to a discectomy, it is very likely that you have it right. It is due to him getting a better night’s sleep. 

Would love to get a righteous mattress but reticent to spend upward of 2k to do so. 

Anyone have an adjustable base?

We tried the Reverie in Costco and it was awesome.  But $7500 worth of awesome.

Looking at a Ghost Bed with adjustable base for either $2500 or $3500.

I went through the discount link on mattress underground and just ordered what I believe is the best fit for us, the Ultimate Dreams Supreme 12" Gel Memory Foam. You get $50 off plus two free shredded memory foam pillows and a free set of sheets. 
How's it treating you so far?
I’m still really liking it. It can be a bit warm but sometimes I skip the comforter and just go with a sheet. 

Purple Mattress - An honest review

My wife and I have been looking for a new mattress for awhile now but we have different sleeping habits.  She is 110 lbs and often sleeps on her belly.  I'm 200 lbs and mostly a back and side sleeper.  She has some hip and lower back issues and needs something that will support her and helps with pressure points.  We've tried a couple the past 6 months but can't find one we both like, so we tried something different.  I ordered two Purple Twin XL mattresses for us to try.  We have a king bed frame so we put them side by side on the frame.  Figured if one of us liked it, we could keep one or both or return both (100 night free trial).  

We received the beds in mid-July this year.  

First impression:  The mattress can be slept on right out of the box.  It doesn't have to sit 24/48 hours like some of the memory foam mattresses you get online.  There was no discernible smell that we noticed.  Had the ordinary new smell you might expect from a new mattress.   It didn't last long.  

After the first night it felt... different.  Not bad or great, just different.  The polymer grid's texture takes a little getting used to.  But after a few nights I was used to it and must say I really like this mattress.  There is a short breaking in period.  I liked mine but she wasn't as happy.  I laid on her side and it felt just like my first night, a little rigid.  She isn't heavy enough to break it in.  So I slept on her side for a few nights to break it in.  She slept on mine and said it felt really comfortable and she slept well.  It softened up for her.  

After a few weeks I was still happy with my bed but she wasn't as happy with hers.  She said she didn't like the texture of the polymer grid (sort of like an egg carton) and she wasn't sleeping comfortably anymore.  So we decided to return one of them.  I kept the other and it's currently in a guest room on a twin bed frame.  But I have plans for it.    

We recently bought her a pillow top plush/super soft mattress.  So far she loves it and it probably is best for her needs.  It's too soft for me.  Like all of the memory foam mattresses I've ever slept on, after awhile I end up sleeping in a canoe.  For those that are 225-250+ lbs, I imagine it's worse.  Right now her mattress feels fine to me but I know in less than a month it will sag on my side.  And I can't rotate it because she complains that the canoe I slept in is now on her side! 

I wanted to try the Purple because of its claims of resiliency.  This bed gives at all pressure points but comes back to its original shape.  It has a 10 year warranty that says if the impression is deeper than 1 inch, it is under warranty.  I've never had a memory foam mattress that springs back to shape like this one.  

I like a king size bed.  She does not like the king size because the pain she has reaching over to make it/change sheets, etc.  I get that and want what's best for her.  But I don't want to go to a queen.  So we are probably going to get two Twin XL bed frames for our room.  I'll put my Purple mattress on mine and the pillow top plush on hers.  

We've been married 35 years and feel like the most important thing is to get a good night's sleep.  We just both need different mattresses.  In my 30s I could sleep on anything and never blink.  Fast forward to upper 40s/early 50s... the body changes and you tend to notice beds aren't as comfortable as you remember.  Thus, the search.  

Bottom line:  I think this is a fine mattress for those that sleep on their back.  It's actually great (imo) for side sleepers too.  The best side sleeping mattress I can remember sleeping on.  But it is not for everyone.  For me (6' 200 lbs) it slept great.  For her (5'4 110) it didn't perform as well because she didn't have enough weight to make an impact.  YMMV.  

Pros:

Resilience to bounce back after body indention.  I like this feature.  

Sleeps cool.  I don't remember waking up with sweats like with some previous memory foams.  She often wakes up with night sweats (post-menopause).  She didn't wake up sweating as often with this mattress.  

Returns.  The return process was simple.  You can't return one of these mattresses to Purple, but they have other easy options.  We donated the Twin XL to our local United Ministries organization who will give it to a family/someone as part of the ongoing hurricane support efforts in North and South Carolina.  I scanned a receipt for the donation and emailed it to Purple and they refunded me for the mattress the same day.  

Customer service.  I have nothing but good things to say about Purple's customer service.  I worked with one agent in the return process and had no issues.  See above.  

Cons:

Price.  Like most beds these days, these aren't cheap.  I bought one of the original Purple mattresses.  They now have a new line of mattresses than can start in the thousands.  Some of their new ones incorporate coils under the polymer grid.  I may look into this in the future.  

Weight.  The Twin XL wasn't bad but if you get a king it will be a heavy mattress to maneuver.  Put it on your bed frame before you roll it out to let it expand.  

Height.  May not be a bid deal for some.  This bed is 9.5 inches tall.  The plush pillow top is about 14 inches.  

It isn't for everyone.  It may be too rigid for a petite/light person.  I liked it, she didn't.  

Sorry for the length and I'd be happy to answer any question I can regarding the Purple.  

shameless and selfish bump as last night was literally the straw that broke the refs back......have been dealing with some back discomfort every morning now for a while that is directly related to our old mattress...wife same thing.... in hip/back areas....we are due for a new mattress like as soon as this weekend type of thing...I reviewed this thread starting with the 2017 postings to try and get the most updated info...just wondering if there are any more updates....?

I sleep very hot....head and body...so need something cool....and probably on the firm side...but love the feel of like feathertop

from what I can gather....latex may be the way to go as I hate the sleeping in wet sand feel....

looking at trying to keep around $1000...preferably less....but give or take a couple hundy....

will do more research on my own but kind of trust testimonial in here more than on line reviews and rankings...

what I am seeing in here seems to like these:

Zenhaven by Saatva

Sleep on Latex (Pure Green)

Casper

Tuft and Needle

Dreamfoam

Brooklyn Bedding

Ghost

any comments or updates much appreciated......tia ...Ref
We have a latex foam mattress and love it. We didn’t like how the memory foam felt. 

My wife and I recently decided (mostly I decided) we need a new mattress.  This one looks interesting.  I'm probably not ready to pull the trigger on it yet, but will be next month or in March.  If you get this before then, let us know what you think.

My wife and I recently decided (mostly I decided) we need a new mattress.  This one looks interesting.  I'm probably not ready to pull the trigger on it yet, but will be next month or in March.  If you get this before then, let us know what you think.
I'm hesitating a bit because I'm a side sleeper and I've seen some reviews now that this one is a little firm for side sleepers. Im just not a big fan of memory foam only mattresses so I was looking for something a little different. I may still try this one because of the great return policy.

I'm hesitating a bit because I'm a side sleeper and I've seen some reviews now that this one is a little firm for side sleepers. Im just not a big fan of memory foam only mattresses so I was looking for something a little different. I may still try this one because of the great return policy.

Ordered the Dream cloud. Really nothing to lose with that return policy.

Wife and I are upgrading from a queen to a king. King frame was finally delivered a couple of days ago, so now we need to decide on a mattress. Fortunately my wife and I both prefer a softer mattress. Problem is that I toss and turn all night long and I snore a bit. My wife is a very light sleeper, and once she is awakened, she will be up for several hours. I am a light sleeper too (I wake several times each night), but I am able to easily fall back to sleep. So I would like to get something that accommodates both of our high-maintenance sleep needs.

I looked at the dreamcloud, and I like the concept and certainly the price. But the reviews all say that the mattress leans to the firm side. So that one is out. We also went to a few mattress stores the other day. The Simmons BeautyRest Black was good and very expensive. The Purple2,3,&4 was interesting, though not sure I'm willing to risk it on a potential gimmick. And finally we looked at a couple of Tempur Pedics. We both liked the Tempur Pedic ProAdapt Medium Hybrid. This one has the softness and contouring of memory foam and the support of coils. This is not unlike the dreamcloud, but on the softer side. Also more expensive.

Considering doing a split king with an adjustable base. Because of my snoring and lower back issues, I like the zero-gravity setting with head and feet raised. However my wife does not, so that is why the split king.

My estimate is looking at around $6,500.

And for the record, I had a guy at Mattress Firm price out the split-king Simmons BeautyRest with adjustable base. His quote was a little over $10K!!!

Slept on the Dreamcloud last night. Definitely on the firmer side. I'll give it a few days but unfortunately I think it needs to go back. I need something that doesn't feel like you're sleeping on the ground after the first 3 inches of soft foam. 

Slept on the Dreamcloud last night. Definitely on the firmer side. I'll give it a few days but unfortunately I think it needs to go back. I need something that doesn't feel like you're sleeping on the ground after the first 3 inches of soft foam. 
I was almost ready to order the Dreamcloud, and then I saw something that said they were really firm. Glad I caught that.

I'm also leaning toward the Medium-Hybrid because... thinking that it will sag less over time than the plush/ultra-plush models, and thus should last longer. All theoretical thought processing mind you.

So I bought yet another mattress tonight, will arrive tomorrow:

https://oursleepguide.com/mattress/brooklyn-bedding-signature-mattress-review/

Another hybrid foam/spring model but this time I chose the soft version available. Local bed company so I was able to lay on this one before buying. I hope it works out. Twenty percent off deal ended today so out the door with a Full size for a little over $700 all in. Free delivery and 120 day trial bed in a box with coils.

Last edited by a moderator:
I need a new mattress and there are sales at this time, so I'm really thinking about buying one.  I'm going to go to Mattress Firm tomorrow to see what they feel like.  One that I'm looking at is the Tulo.  I have back pain and like a firm mattress.  Anyone have any opinions on Tulo or any others?  I have had my current mattress for a long time so I have never really been mattress shopping, but it's definitely time for a new one.

Interesting because that’s exactly the kind of thing we are looking for. Also on the market but we like firm beds. This thread rules. 

This link someone posted earlier is awesome: https://www.sleeplikethedead.com/mattress-selector.html

Especially if, like me, you’re not sure what you prefer in terms of type, etc.  We really loved our BIAB PacBed, which is getting old now (8 years or so).  Amazing how this mattress selector nailed that as the second choice for us.  Going to have to look into the Temperpedic Contour models they recommend for us as the top choice, as well as the Casper they recommend as third choice.

Anyone have the Temperpedic Contour?  Reviews on it?  

Also, any views on how BIAB has changed in the past 10 years or so, in terms of quality etc.?  Still solid ? Improved?  Thanks. 

I have the Sleep Number i10 - queen.  Bought the whole package.  Got the adjustable base, headboard and surround.  Yep, pricey, but we have had it for over 5 years, and there haven't been any issues.  The adjustable base is a must.  The bed solves the problem of two people having different firmness preferences , and also individual body changes over time.  

I think I'm going to get this mattress:  https://www.mattressfirm.com/simmons-beautyrest/recharge-dawson-12.5-inch-hybrid-firm-mattress/mfiV000227851.html?cgid=mattress-sizes

Anyone have it or tried it and have any thoughts about it?
As I do more research into this, I have seen some complaints about it breaking down after 1.5 - 2 years and Simmons not covering it with their warranty.  Mattress Firm also doesn't seem to have a good reputation when it comes to warranty coverage.

I'm now looking at the Casper:  https://casper.com/mattresses/casper/buy/

Reviews for the Casper seem to be better, including durability and warranty coverage.  I definitely don't want to spend $1000+ on something if it's going to break after a couple of years.  https://www.sleeplikethedead.com/mattress-reviews-casper.html

Another review: https://www.mattressadvisor.com/mattress-reviews/casper-mattress-review/

As I do more research into this, I have seen some complaints about it breaking down after 1.5 - 2 years and Simmons not covering it with their warranty.  Mattress Firm also doesn't seem to have a good reputation when it comes to warranty coverage.

I'm now looking at the Casper:  https://casper.com/mattresses/casper/buy/

Reviews for the Casper seem to be better, including durability and warranty coverage.  I definitely don't want to spend $1000+ on something if it's going to break after a couple of years.  https://www.sleeplikethedead.com/mattress-reviews-casper.html

Another review: https://www.mattressadvisor.com/mattress-reviews/casper-mattress-review/
Simmons and Mattress Firm like a relics of the past at this point.  For less than half the price, you can get a comparable/better mattress online now, if you're willing to take the chance.  We did many years ago (Sleep Innovations from Amazon) and couldn't be happier with the bed, not even considering the value side of it (around $400 IIRC).

https://thewirecutter.com/guides/buying-a-mattress/ is worth reading.

Been sleeping in the Brooklyn Bedding Signature model, soft variation, for a few days now. It may be too soft as my lower back is a bit funny some mornings so I'm thinking my alignment isn't right. I contacted Dreamcloud to return that one and they talked me into trying a free 2 inch memory foam topper first. Received in the mail but haven't tried yet. Kind of stinky with the blue gel stuff sprayed on/embedded. Figure I would try the topper on both. 

I wound up buying the Casper today.  I'll let you guys know how I like it after giving it some time.
I didn't like the Casper at all and wound up returning it.  It sleeps very hot and I woke up every night sweaty.  I bought the Brooklyn Bedding Aurora and it's much better than the Casper.  It's much cooler and it's been better for my back.

Tried to search on here but nothing is popping up.

Has anyone bought a Marriott or Starwood mattress? How did it hold up?  I am on my 2nd tempurpedic in 4 years (had them replace the 1st one) and my back only hurts when I sleep in this bed.  When im on the road in hotels, my back feels much better.  Any experience with these beds?

I didn't like the Casper at all and wound up returning it.  It sleeps very hot and I woke up every night sweaty.  I bought the Brooklyn Bedding Aurora and it's much better than the Casper.  It's much cooler and it's been better for my back.
Did you get the firm or the medium?  My wife and I have tried some in stores and seem to like the medium.  My back is really rough first thing in the morning and I am convinced it is the mattress, but I don't want to spend that much if its not going to help, at least a little.

Would pull the trigger today, for sure.

Did you get the firm or the medium?  My wife and I have tried some in stores and seem to like the medium.  My back is really rough first thing in the morning and I am convinced it is the mattress, but I don't want to spend that much if its not going to help, at least a little.

Would pull the trigger today, for sure.
I got the firm.  I have a bad back too and the firm has helped me (talking about the Brooklyn Bedding Aurora).  If the medium is better for your back then go for it, but I agree that a good mattress that is right for your body can help with some people's back problems.  It has been much better than the Casper for my back.

I got the firm.  I have a bad back too and the firm has helped me (talking about the Brooklyn Bedding Aurora).  If the medium is better for your back then go for it, but I agree that a good mattress that is right for your body can help with some people's back problems.  It has been much better than the Casper for my back.
Thank you.  Looks like a 120 day trial, so I am going to give the medium a shot.  I think the mattress we have now is a firm and I just don't feel like I get the right joint support.  Some nights I wake up and I can't get back to sleep because I am in too much pain.

Man wish I would have checked here.  I just bought a Serta memory foam/gel mattress.  Great price.  Lower back has been a mess lately so hopefully this helps.

Caesar said:
Thank you.  Looks like a 120 day trial, so I am going to give the medium a shot.  I think the mattress we have now is a firm and I just don't feel like I get the right joint support.  Some nights I wake up and I can't get back to sleep because I am in too much pain.
I hope it works out for you.  I had a problem with the price considering it's much more expensive than other good brands like Muse and Casper, but it's been worth it so far.  However, for the price it had better last for many years.

Bought a Purple mattress (just the basic version, not a typical FBG, just play one on a message board).  First night sleep was last night and I have to say I liked it.  It didn't take any adjustment from me coming from a traditional mattress and I fell asleep right away.  I'm a relatively light sleeper so I woke up a few times, but went right back to sleep without issues.

My back typically hurts in the morning when I get out of bed.  It still hurt this morning, but I'm guessing it will take time if a mattress is going to make any difference there.

Haven't tested fun time with the wife yet, that will be a different story I'm sure.

Bought a Purple mattress (just the basic version, not a typical FBG, just play one on a message board).  First night sleep was last night and I have to say I liked it.  It didn't take any adjustment from me coming from a traditional mattress and I fell asleep right away.  I'm a relatively light sleeper so I woke up a few times, but went right back to sleep without issues.

My back typically hurts in the morning when I get out of bed.  It still hurt this morning, but I'm guessing it will take time if a mattress is going to make any difference there.

Haven't tested fun time with the wife yet, that will be a different story I'm sure.
Bought a Purple mattress a few months ago and I like it.  Sleep has definitely improved from the crappy old mattress.  It was a good mattress that wore out.  I don't remember what it was.  My back was sore in the mornings from the old mattress and the back pain went away after a couple of weeks on the Purple.   

We like stories.   

My Sealy memory foam king is on its last legs. Looking at something comparable preferably Sealy and firm. Anyone buy something similar recently?

Bought a Purple mattress a few months ago and I like it.  Sleep has definitely improved from the crappy old mattress.  It was a good mattress that wore out.  I don't remember what it was.  My back was sore in the mornings from the old mattress and the back pain went away after a couple of weeks on the Purple.   

We like stories.   
Just a week in but still liking the purple mattress. What is funny is that at the end of the evening, instead of falling asleep downstairs watching TV, once I start getting tired I say "heck with this, I'm going to go lay on that new mattress."  Not sure yet if it is because it is truly comfortable, or the feeling you get when spending a bunch of money on something, wanting to get your money's worth.

Users who are viewing this thread