What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What is the best mattress? (1 Viewer)

Also have a Tempurpedic and love it.  Before that, I used to wake up with pain every morning.  No more pain.  All gone.  Like magic.  

But now we are upgrading to a King size bed and my wife wants to switch to the loom and leaf from Saatva.  I'm a little nervous but there is a 6 month money back guarantee so we'll go with the slightly cheaper memory foam.  

Also have a Tempurpedic and love it.  Before that, I used to wake up with pain every morning.  No more pain.  All gone.  Like magic.  

But now we are upgrading to a King size bed and my wife wants to switch to the loom and leaf from Saatva.  I'm a little nervous but there is a 6 month money back guarantee so we'll go with the slightly cheaper memory foam.  
We are 6 months in on our Tempupedic Lux Cool adjustable. 

The greatest sleep I have ever experienced. Bar none. Don’t switch. 

No pain. Ever. Sleep like a hibernating bear every night.

It's been about a year and a half since I bought the Brooklyn Bedding Aurora.  I'm still happy with it.  In my experience there are many things worth looking for discounted/less expensive versions, but not a mattress.  If an inexpensive mattress works well for you then that's a big bonus considering how expensive they can get, but if you have back problems and insomnia like I do, (or just anything that prevents you from sleeping well at night), a great mattress is so important.  This has been worth the money IMO.

We've had a Simmons Beautyrest for about the last 15 years and finally got a new mattress about a month ago.

After researching similar mattresses at Amazon, finally went with this one based on price and reviews. It checked all the boxes I was looking for.

After a month, I can say this mattress is incredible. I used to wake up multiple times per night and just figured that was my normal. I now routinely sleep straight through the night or wake up to turn maybe once.  Wake up feeling rested, no soreness, nothing. 

It was delivered within a few days, opened it up and let it expand for a couple days before using it. 

Can't recommend enough if looking for a mattress.
How’s this one holding up?  Can you use it with any box spring?

We've had a Simmons Beautyrest for about the last 15 years and finally got a new mattress about a month ago.

After researching similar mattresses at Amazon, finally went with this one based on price and reviews. It checked all the boxes I was looking for.

After a month, I can say this mattress is incredible. I used to wake up multiple times per night and just figured that was my normal. I now routinely sleep straight through the night or wake up to turn maybe once.  Wake up feeling rested, no soreness, nothing. 

It was delivered within a few days, opened it up and let it expand for a couple days before using it. 

Price is back down on this, back to $660.  Was just at ~$1K.

We are 6 months in on our Tempupedic Lux Cool adjustable. 

The greatest sleep I have ever experienced. Bar none. Don’t switch. 

No pain. Ever. Sleep like a hibernating bear every night.
Sent you a PM. Gotta talk to you, we are about to get a new bed....want to discuss :)  

well I'm trusting several of you guys know what you're talking about...purchased the Tempur-Pedic Luxe Breeze Adjustable yesterday, and its supposed to arrive today. Never thought I'd spend nearly $7k on a bed but if I can sleep through the night instead of waking up every morning around 3, 4, or 5 am it will totally be worth it. 

You guys that have this bed remember how long it took to get the tennis ball smell to dissipate from your bedroom?  

.... but which mattress is best for the sects? 

I really put my back into it and if Mrs Bossman is sinking away from me, I really need to arch the back to get the root bottomed out.

Causes significant lower back pain.

Should probably just move the whole show to the floor but she insisted on tearing up the carpet and putting in hard wood. No bueno.

.... but which mattress is best for the sects? 

I really put my back into it and if Mrs Bossman is sinking away from me, I really need to arch the back to get the root bottomed out.

Causes significant lower back pain.

Should probably just move the whole show to the floor but she insisted on tearing up the carpet and putting in hard wood. No bueno.
When my wife first insisted on putting in some hard wood I balked at the idea.  Figured I'd never be one of those guys... but I suppose you get used to it after awhile as long as care is taken and a proper moisture barrier is applied.  

As far as tearing up the carpet, seems a little unnecessary, but hey, better the carpet than my flesh...  wait, what are we talking about?

:oldunsure:

When my wife first insisted on putting in some hard wood I balked at the idea.  Figured I'd never be one of those guys... but I suppose you get used to it after awhile as long as care is taken and a proper moisture barrier is applied.  

As far as tearing up the carpet, seems a little unnecessary, but hey, better the carpet than my flesh...  wait, what are we talking about?

:oldunsure:
The silver lining with the hardwood floors is no more rugburn knees.

I wonder if they offer a mattress that is extra firm on her side ... And super memory foam on my side.

A few months ago I bought a Tempur Pedic soft Lux Adapt (Cal-King). It was comfortable, but firmer than I prefer. It was “fine”, but I didn’t love it. And at over $4k, I had to love it to justify the cost. I just returned it before the 90 trial period was up. Was hoping it would get softer as i broke it in, but it never did. 

I just ordered a plush Nest Alexander Signature Hybrid. Will post an update when it gets here. 

Guys, any decent mattresses around $500? would be great to find a queen-sized mattress in Illinois 

What's your recommendation?

LiamW said:
Guys, any decent mattresses around $500? would be great to find a queen-sized mattress in Illinois 

What's your recommendation?
If you have an existing mattress, you might want to try a 3" mattress topper of memory foam.

the Nectar memory foam mattress is popular but you are probably looking at $500 for a twin and $800 for a queen.

Best mattress under $500

Last edited by a moderator:
It's been about a year and a half since I bought the Brooklyn Bedding Aurora.  I'm still happy with it.  In my experience there are many things worth looking for discounted/less expensive versions, but not a mattress.  If an inexpensive mattress works well for you then that's a big bonus considering how expensive they can get, but if you have back problems and insomnia like I do, (or just anything that prevents you from sleeping well at night), a great mattress is so important.  This has been worth the money IMO.
There are some logical inconsistency here.  Why does more money equal better?   Spring mattress are vastly more expensive than foam and are inferior.    The foam price points are really driven by supply chain constraints, not quality.   

I would challenge anyone to justify the extra costing into similar mattress segments as an improvement in sleep preference.   Surely there are blinded studies on this.

I'm getting a hybrid from Luna, I like the split zone feature and have never been 100% on board with full foam, so the ability to go with a little of both drove the decision process.   I felt also the full foam mattress we had in the past was dead for sex and slept hot.  Going with talalay hybrid should help here.  

I'm getting a hybrid from Luna, I like the split zone feature and have never been 100% on board with full foam, so the ability to go with a little of both drove the decision process.   I felt also the full foam mattress we had in the past was dead for sex and slept hot.  Going with talalay hybrid should help here.  
I've been meaning to ask this for a while.  So, I did a google search of 'Luna Hybrid' or 'Luna split zone' and I can't find what you are talking about.  I was wondering if you meant 'Luma'.  I found a company called Luma Sleep with hybrid mattresses.  And they are recommended by mattress underground.  But I didn't see the 'split zone' so I am curious what that is about.

Or, I am wondering if there is some other mattress that you are talking about and I am misinterpreting.

And finally I am wondering how you like it.  I have an all latex mattress.  My wife and I really like it but we are moving, and our current mattress is a queen and we are planning to buy a king.  We were taking a serious look at the Brooklyn Bedding Aurora that is a hybrid.  I was wondering how you like the hybrid.  If it is a Luma that you have, I like that it is a hybrid with a latex topper.  The Brooklyn is foam.  

We are interested in the Brooklyn because it is supposedly new technology cooling foam.  We are also worried about it too because it is foam.  We like the fact that latex is all natural and worry about the things they put in foam.  It's just that the cooling part sounds really good to us and the price is really good.  We definitely like a cool mattress.

I've documented my neck fusion & all of my back problems in another FBG thread. 
And I've been sleeping on a very firm mattress at home for quite some time.
So the thought of changing things up made me a little apprehensive.   But over time, I slowly found that when I would travel and stay in hotels or somewhere else that I wasn't experiencing as many of the nagging problems.

So long story short, bought a Sleep Number bed during Labor day when there was a sale. 
(with my back, i could never buy a mattress from an online  store sight unseen)
so far, so good.........Very happy with it & seem to be waking up with less neck/back problems.

I bought the Standard model (as opposed to the adjustable more expensive model).  I especially like the fact that there are multiple air bladders with a small foam layer on top.  As you move, reposition, or toss/turn, there are sensors in the bed & it knows to re-distribute the air pressure accordingly to provide the best support.  Best of all, the bed has 2 zones that can be independently set.....so my configuration (100, firmest setting) is different from my wife's (35).....and Mrs. Nemesis is much happier now too.  Finally, something the salesman mentioned in the store that sold me:  "All Memory foam will eventually break-in/wear-out over time.........Air doesn't wear out & will keep its shape"  (as long as the mechanical parts & bladders work)

And the real reason i came here to post is that I bought the bed & didn't pay Sales Tax on it.  (saved me a couple hundred)
I had a medical note from my chiropractor that allowed me to be exempt because it was considered a medical device for me.

Wanted to share that just in case anyone else can take advantage of it too.

joffer said:
:blackdot:

i need something new.  Anyone tried purple?
I was super super close to trying purple but I bought Brooklyn Bedding Aurora instead.

The main focus of a bed purchase for my wife and I was to find a cooling mattress.  Every article / youtube video / google search I did regarding 'cooling mattress' kept pointing us to Brooklyn Bedding Aurora.  We have the Brooklyn Aurora mattress, Brooklyn luxury cooling mattress protector, Brooklyn luxury cooling pillows and Sheex midnight label sheets.  The combination makes it such that it the surface of the bed / sheets are cool to the touch when we get into bed.  The sheets are kind of weird in how they feel.  They honestly feel like silk.  But, they are legit.  They feel cold.

In regards to the mattress, we got the soft version.  In hindsight I may have gotten the medium version.  It is comfortable and the main reason I got soft is so I can sleep on my side.  I wanted something to relieve pressure on my shoulder and hips.  The tradeoff is the soft version doesn't support the back that well.

I would say that the purple mattress was probably our 2nd pick.  I liked how that purple layer seemed like it would be cool with the waffle style design.  In the end we picked the Aurora because it has specific cooling material in the top layer, and it was less expensive.  I believe we bought it during a Memorial Day sale and it was like 35% off the whole site.  Both are essentially 'hybrid' type mattresses and I don't have any complaints about that set up.

I was a big promoter of all latex mattresses.  I still am.  They are pricy though.  And I do believe that latex as a material is cool, but it seems that most latex mattress makers put an organic cotton or wool type cover on the mattress that takes away coolness so we made the switch.  There is no doubt the set-up we have is legit cold.  The mattress itself was a good price (I believe around $1600 for a king), and even though it is a touch on the soft side my wife and I have enjoyed it so far.  We have only had it for  about 3 months but so far it is working out.

Foldable mattresses is a best choice for small rooms. These can save spaces for other tasks. 

We are interested in the Brooklyn because it is supposedly new technology cooling foam.  We are also worried about it too because it is foam.  We like the fact that latex is all natural and worry about the things they put in foam.  It's just that the cooling part sounds really good to us and the price is really good.  We definitely like a cool mattress.

did you get this mattress?  

is it really cooler?

We bought a sleep number 15+ years ago, considering upgrading to a new one.  Anyone recently bought a sleep number?

We just bought THIS Kirkland Stearns & Foster for $950 before taxes.

After researching SleepNumber, Latex, SleepLikeTheDead/MattressUnderground, etc., we ultimately decided that with the Costco return policy, it made a lot of sense to purchase our mattress through them.

Might try something after 4 years on our Novaform under $1500 (not easy). Was THIS the bed you bought? Are you happy after almost two years? Thanks.

did you get this mattress?  

is it really cooler?
Yes we did.  And yes it really is cooler.

We matched it up with a cooling mattress protector from Brooklyn and Sheex cooling sheets.  I guess I can't say for sure which is the biggest factor, but before we put the protector or sheets on you could definitely feel a difference.  I was surprised.

And I mentioned earlier that the version we got may have been too soft.  Well, the whole reason I got soft was so I could sleep on my side and after sleeping on a medium mattress recently I think it was the right call.  Any time I sleep on my side on a firmer mattress it hurts my hip.  I am definitely happy with it.

Another Tempur-pedic customer. Purchased a few months ago after 15 years in previous mattress. Sleep like a baby. It did take a couple weeks to “break-in” and get the memory foam to do its thing.

Went to the mattress store and tried everything and this was the one we both liked the best. Best feature is if the wife or I move the other person can’t really tell.

Was expensive but worth it. They also have like 18 months same as cash or something like this so if you want to drag out and pay over time there is no interest.

Another Tempur-pedic customer. Purchased a few months ago after 15 years in previous mattress. Sleep like a baby. It did take a couple weeks to “break-in” and get the memory foam to do its thing.

Went to the mattress store and tried everything and this was the one we both liked the best. Best feature is if the wife or I move the other person can’t really tell.

Was expensive but worth it. They also have like 18 months same as cash or something like this so if you want to drag out and pay over time there is no interest.

what model of Tempur-pedic?

what model of Tempur-pedic?
I think the ProAdapt Firm.

Definitively go to the store and try them all out. We spent like an hour there rolling around on them all.

We have a Queen in our guest bedroom, it was our bed when we first bought it back in about 2004
Simmons Beautyrest-base model that actually has terry cloth on the outside and can be flipped from one side to the other if you need to
I use it almost daily to relax on when I am using the laptop, it's been a terrific purchase.

In the meantime we have burned thru 2 King Size beds in our bedroom and we were ready to buy a new one, this time we bought a new frame-platform from Thuma firsta nd went mattress hunting.

-Tried Simmons, Stearns and Foster, most of the traditional mattresses with coils/memory foam mix and they range from the base models around $750-$1,000 and go up to $4k-$5k depending on how crazy you want to get but in the end the base model from Simmons actually felt the best of these types of traditional mattresses. I was underwhelmed

-Mrs likes Prana and I heard bad things but we laid down on the base model "Kharma" and we liked the Medium/Firm which is actually pretty soft, Mrs sleeps on her side a lot so softer is more ideal. I sleep on my back so I can pretty much sleep on any bed as long as it's not too soft or super firm.
The bed was not cheap but when you compared what it cost to many of the other mattresses, wasn't really that bad, huge Memorial Day Sale made it easy, under $3k, the retail on them was almost $4,300.

I know folks like to order online and get these mattresses delivered sight unseen for less than $500, certainly under $1,000.
The Thuma is great as a platform/frame, thinking about buying a 2nd one for the guest bedroom. The frame was about $1,000, no tools required to set it up.

After a month, I can say this mattress is incredible. I used to wake up multiple times per night and just figured that was my normal. I now routinely sleep straight through the night or wake up to turn maybe once. Wake up feeling rested, no soreness, nothing.

Price is back down on this, back to $660. Was just at ~$1K.
Less than $500 now with a coupon. A strong maybe from me.

Users who are viewing this thread