What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Rob Gronkowski, TB (1 Viewer)

Rob Gronkowski said he would consider returning to the Bucs in 2022 if Tom Brady retires. 

"I'll never throw anything off the board," Gronkowski said Monday, a day after Tampa's wrenching Divisional Round loss to the Rams. Gronkowski, who has said he would never play with a quarterback besides Brady, is signed through the 2025 season, and will be a $5 million cap hit in 2022. Gronk's fantasy appeal would wane next year if he continues with Tampa without the Gronk soothsayer Brady. There's also a matter of age: Gronkowski will be 33 in May. 

SOURCE: Greg Auman on Twitter 

Jan 24, 2022, 11:38 AM ET

Bucs GM Jason Licht said TE Rob Gronkowski could return next season without Tom Brady.

“That’s yet to be seen,” Licht said on whether Gronkowski will be back. “I don’t think it’s dependent on Tom from what I understand, and I know Rob had an incredible experience here as well. We would welcome Rob back.” Gronkowski sat out the 2019 season and is only 32, but signs have pointed to him retiring along with Brady. The four-time All Pro remained one of the league’s top tight ends last year, averaging over 65 yards per game with six touchdowns in the 12 weeks he was healthy. A free agent after signing a one-year, $8 million contract last offseason, Tampa would need quarterback plans in place to re-sign Gronkowski if he doesn’t retire.

SOURCE: ProFootballTalk on NBC Sports

Feb 5, 2022, 10:04 AM ET

No way he comes back. He’s said before Tom is his qb. I would sell for whatever I could get now before it’s announced. If Vegas had odds it be -1000 or larger that he returns. 
I give him a 20% chance at a return without Brady. 

Depends on a few factors IMO:

• how much $ he’s managed to save over his years in the league. Based on his (terrible) commercials, I’m thinking he might need the $. 
• desire to play - some guys just live for the game. They love to be out there. 
• “legacy” - Like Brady proved he could do it without BB, maybe Gronk has a desire to prove he can do it without Brady. (I put this one as least likely) 

I agree that he’s a “sell for whatever you can get”.

Personally i’m hoping he retires, for purely selfish reasons. In separate transactions, I dealt Brady & Gronk to a team, and though another transaction I now have that dude’s 2023 pick. He doesn’t have a 1st or a 2nd in 2022. His team is falling apart with injuries & with Brady retiring, so the more retirements on his team, the better my pick. 🙏🏼 

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe he will retire......again.
Most likely outcome, IMO.

The only thing he has left to play for is another ring. And he particularly gets banged up due to his size & taking hits over the middle. 

The last time he retired, he wasn’t shy about saying how much those hits were adding up, and how his desire to play was waning.

I can’t see him playing another season with little chance at a ring. 

Hot Sauce Guy said:
I give him a 20% chance at a return without Brady. 

Depends on a few factors IMO:

• how much $ he’s managed to save over his years in the league. Based on his (terrible) commercials, I’m thinking he might need the $. 
• desire to play - some guys just live for the game. They love to be out there. 
• “legacy” - Like Brady proved he could do it without BB, maybe Gronk has a desire to prove he can do it without Brady. (I put this one as least likely) 

I agree that he’s a “sell for whatever you can get”.

Personally i’m hoping he retires, for purely selfish reasons. In separate transactions, I dealt Brady & Gronk to a team, and though another transaction I now have that dude’s 2023 pick. He doesn’t have a 1st or a 2nd in 2022. His team is falling apart with injuries & with Brady retiring, so the more retirements on his team, the better my pick. 🙏🏼 
Gronk has said he’s never spent a dime of his nfl money. Lives solely off of the income of his commercials.  

Wow - That’s impressive. Thanks, I’d never heard that. 
In his 2015 book “It’s Good to Be Gronk,” Gronkowski said that at the start of his career he decided to save all his NFL paychecks and live off endorsement money instead.

“The whole point of saving throughout my NFL career was to be set for after football because you don’t know how long football will last,” Gronkowski told CNBC Make It on Jan 21.

He’d seen his NFL player brothers, Chris and Dan, leave after just four and five seasons, respectively. Unlike like the MLB and the NBA, NFL player contracts aren’t fully guaranteed, and Gronkowski wanted to ensure that, after football, he wouldn’t have to worry about “financials,” he says.

In his 2015 book “It’s Good to Be Gronk,” Gronkowski said that at the start of his career he decided to save all his NFL paychecks and live off endorsement money instead.

“The whole point of saving throughout my NFL career was to be set for after football because you don’t know how long football will last,” Gronkowski told CNBC Make It on Jan 21.

He’d seen his NFL player brothers, Chris and Dan, leave after just four and five seasons, respectively. Unlike like the MLB and the NBA, NFL player contracts aren’t fully guaranteed, and Gronkowski wanted to ensure that, after football, he wouldn’t have to worry about “financials,” he says.
And with that, I now know that Gronk is a much, much smarter person than I gave him credit for.  Not to leap to judgement too fast, but he comes off as gigantic doofus. No joke - I have a whole new respect for him. That’s a great decision. 

And with that, I now know that Gronk is a much, much smarter person than I gave him credit for.  Not to leap to judgement too fast, but he comes off as gigantic doofus. No joke - I have a whole new respect for him. That’s a great decision. 
Yea I am pretty sure the doofus thing is just shtick. Like a pro wrestler routine or something. He’s a really bright guy from what I’ve heard. 

Gronk may seem like a doofus, but he has a heart of gold. When he was in NE and even when he went to Tampa, he was pillar in the Boston community. He shelled out like a million dollars out of pocket to build an outdoor youth sports complex. He would show up unannounced to help stores make furniture and appliance deliveries. He regularly showed up at the children’s hospital to be a human jungle gym to play with sick youngsters and would stay the entire day. He would show up at outdoor fundraisers and road races and help serve food. 

I remember one time we were at a basketball tournament at a sports facility  where he was at a paid signing event. Since the kids playing couldn’t play and do a meet and greet, after the event was over he hung around for the games to be over to say hi to the kids. He did almost all these things anonymously with no media coverage. Most of this stuff only came out when people posted about it. My wife works with the children’s hospital and he was there almost every week and even flew in from Florida on occasion. The world needs way more Gronks. 

Gronk may seem like a doofus, but he has a heart of gold. When he was in NE and even when he went to Tampa, he was pillar in the Boston community. He shelled out like a million dollars out of pocket to build an outdoor youth sports complex. He would show up unannounced to help stores make furniture and appliance deliveries. He regularly showed up at the children’s hospital to be a human jungle gym to play with sick youngsters and would stay the entire day. He would show up at outdoor fundraisers and road races and help serve food. 

I remember one time we were at a basketball tournament at a sports facility  where he was at a paid signing event. Since the kids playing couldn’t play and do a meet and greet, after the event was over he hung around for the games to be over to say hi to the kids. He did almost all these things anonymously with no media coverage. Most of this stuff only came out when people posted about it. My wife works with the children’s hospital and he was there almost every week and even flew in from Florida on occasion. The world needs way more Gronks. 
Love these stories. 

rockaction said:
First ballot HoF. No doubter. 
unquestionably.

best TE in NFL history, IMO.

You're a GM drafting tomorrow, you need a TE. you taking Gonzalez or Gronk? I love Tony G, but I've seen Gronk make too many down the field over the shoulder , middle of the field in triple coverage catches in the most CRITICAL of times,  to think anyone is better than him. Both were terrific blockers. both had great hands. Gronk is better IMO. probably splitting hairs. The bigger the game the better Gronk was.

and don't say Kelce is better - baby gronk - dude creeps behind the LOS like he's sneaking into your house.why does he crouch down as he runs? soo damn bizarre. the dude is so flakey on top of that. Gronk and TG just shifted from one side of o-line to another. catch me if you can. and Yes SB victories mean a lot. Gronk is the unelected SB MVP from last season.  he's had decent SB games in the past. TG has had none. Gronk made Brady the GOAT, without him Brady is a decent QB but not the hof'er we see today.  that production and leading Brady to greatness, cannot be overlooked.

unquestionably.

You're a GM drafting tomorrow, you need a TE. you taking Gonzalez or Gronk? I love Tony G, but I've seen Gronk make too many down the field over the shoulder , middle of the field in triple coverage catches in the most CRITICAL of times,  to think anyone is better than him. Both were terrific blockers. both had great hands. Gronk is better IMO. probably splitting hairs. The bigger the game the better Gronk was.

and don't say Kelce is better - baby gronk - dude creeps behind the LOS like he's sneaking into your house.why does he crouch down as he runs? soo damn bizarre. the dude is so flakey on top of that. Gronk and TG just shifted from one side of o-line to another. catch me if you can. and Yes SB victories mean a lot. Gronk is the unelected SB MVP from last season.  he's had decent SB games in the past. TG has had none. Gronk made Brady the GOAT, without him Brady is a decent QB but not the hof'er we see today.  that production and leading Brady to greatness, cannot be overlooked.
That silliness about Brady being made by Gronk aside, which I can only assume is shtick or sarcasm, Kelce is better than Gronk and a big reason is simple: durability. 

For all of his greatness, Gronk, even in his prime, has never been durable, and part of being great, being the best, means you are durable and there for your team every week.  

Due lack of durability, Gronk has been All-Pro ever only 4 times, and only once in consecutive seasons.  Meanwhile, Kelce has now made the All-Pro team SIX seasons in a row (1st team and 2nd team both 3 times). 

Gronk has only even had 4 1,000-yard seasons EVER.  Kelce now has 6 in a row. 

And it is worth noting that Gronk has played his entire career with Brady, the GOAT. 

Not counting his rookie season when he barely played, Kelce has spent half of his playing career with Mahomes, who appears to be a HOF trajectory and one of the best QBs of his generation, but also half with Alex Smith, who was a solid QB, but nothing special. 

Unless Kelce starts breaking down here soon, I don't see any way he doesn't shatter TE records everywhere and go down as the best ever.  Catching Gronk in TDs might be tough (Gronk has a 92 to  57 edge currently), especially if Gronk comes back to play with Burrow or Brady (if he unretires), but he will be crushing him everywhere else.

Tanner9919 said:
unquestionably.

Yes, HOF'er, but best TE in NFL History?  I don't think so.  I would take Tony Gonzalez, Antonio Gates, and John Mackey over him.  I put Gronk in the tier of Ozzie Newsom, Kellen Winslow, and Shannon Sharpe. 

Since the 1970 merger, I'd say:

Gonzalez

Sharpe, Gronk, Casper(most underrated TE)

Gates, Kelce, Winslow, Keith.Jackson(2nd most underrated TE)

As for Gronk possibly playing for Cinci, why not? They have tons of cap space, he's a lot better than Uzomah, and probably sees even more space than he did in Tampa, as the Bengals have a more threatening running back, and deep threat. 

Since the 1970 merger, I'd say:

Gonzalez

Sharpe, Gronk, Casper(most underrated TE)

Gates, Kelce, Winslow, Keith.Jackson(2nd most underrated TE)

As for Gronk possibly playing for Cinci, why not? They have tons of cap space, he's a lot better than Uzomah, and probably sees even more space than he did in Tampa, as the Bengals have a more threatening running back, and deep threat. 
I would love for Gronk to come to Cincy, but I would rather spend the money on OL, LB and DB.

I think a 100% healthy Gronk is better than the rest. He was downright dominate as a blocker and a killer down the seam. I don’t feel like Tony G was ever as good at blocking and they are likely pretty close in receiving skills. 

Uzomah had 500+ and 5 TDs, which was more than respectable.  If they can get Gronk at a reasonable price fine, otherwise pass and go with Uzomah.
Gronk is the best blocking tight end I’ve ever seen in my life. He’d improve their offense dramatically if he didn’t even catch one pass. Total no-brainer. 

Uzomah had 500+ and 5 TDs, which was more than respectable.  If they can get Gronk at a reasonable price fine, otherwise pass and go with Uzomah.
More than respectable is probably an overstatement. Its ok at best. The Bengals had 4800 yards and 36 TD's. So Uzomah had roughly 10% of the yards, and 14% of the TD's. While barely clearing 10 YPC in an offense where he's regularly left huge holes in zones. If he were a dominant run blocker those numbers would be nice, but he's pretty bad at that, and is often replaced by Drew Sample.

I've been arguing Joe Burrow should be the NFL's MVP for about 2 months. I think pretty much any TE that wasn't awful could have done what Uzomah did. If they had an actual difference maker like Gronk, the offense would become terrifying. Especially as Gronk demands attention that Uzomah doesn't, and is an elite blocker that Uzomah isn't.

Getting more TE production, making things easier for Joe Mixon, and likely making Tyler Boyd a defenses 5th priority(where he'd be almost impossible to stop) would very much rival the setup that TB had when Evans/Godwin/Brown/Gronk were all on the field together, especially as this likely isn't anybody's ceiling this year except for maybe Mixon. Burrow/Chase/Higgins are all likely just getting started. 

Pro Football Network’s Adam Beasley considers the Cardinals a landing spot for free agent Rob Gronkowski.

Re-signing with Tampa also remains in play for Gronkowski, who's waiting out the offseason before a decision on retirement. Gronkowski’s Bucs future is tied to whether Tom Brady unretires. With TE Zach Ertz a free agent, signing with the Cardinals would be a best-case scenario, along with joining Joe Burrow in Cincinnati. The Bucs have Leonard Fournette, Chris Godwin, and Carlton Davis on expiring contracts and would need to restructure cap space to keep Gronkowski.

RELATED: 

Arizona Cardinals

SOURCE: Pro Football Network

Feb 25, 2022, 6:45 PM ET

Gronk is the best blocking tight end I’ve ever seen in my life. He’d improve their offense dramatically if he didn’t even catch one pass. Total no-brainer. 

The Bengals should go after Gronk if he is affordable, but don’t overspend.
every contending team could use gronk. Some need him more. Titans would be perfect if the money worked. Bengals of course do too. I figure he’ll most likely want a great coach he knows and to contend. At least I hope those are strong considerations. 

The Athletic's Tim Graham reports the Bills are interested in impending free agent Rob Gronkowski.

Per Graham, the Bills had interest in Gronkowski last offseason, but he wanted to remain in Tampa Bay with Tom Brady. Now that Brady is retiring (for now), it leaves Gronkowski's situation unclear. He's from Western New York and grew up rooting for the Bills. It would be a homecoming for the soon-to-be 33-year-old (in May), though he's going to have not shortage of interested suitors coming off a strong 55-802-6 season in just 12 games played. Gronkowski will likely sign a one- or two-year deal at $5 million-plus per year with incentives. He's already expressed interest in playing with Joe Burrow. One would think Josh Allen is also of interest.

RELATED: 

Buffalo Bills

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Mar 2, 2022, 4:00 PM ET

I personally think Gronk is the best TE of all time but durablity is a major weakness and I could see someone preferring TE's like Tony G/Kelce who almost never miss games. Just depends if your prioritize Gronk's all around game vs durability.

Also read Gronk has been working out at Tampa facility twice a week. Along with recent comments and rumors he's not giving off a retirement vibe right now.

Just depends if your prioritize Gronk's all around game vs durability.
That's the rub. When healthy, he's the best tight end I've ever seen. I was too young for Winslow, Casper, and didn't follow it enough to really intensely follow Sharpe's career, though I certainly watched  and loved football back then (Sharpe was pre-FF and pre-satellite television for me -- so might have been Gonzalez's prime -- and thus I concentrated on my teams and the occasional network game of the Broncos).

Barring injury, Gronk strikes me as much better all-around than Kelce, who I've followed pretty intently this past decade. If you asked me to win you a game, I'd take a healthy Gronk ten times and then more on Sunday over Kelce. 

The Athletic's Jeff Howe confirms the Bucs hope to re-sign free agent TE Rob Gronkowski. 

This presumably took a huge step toward fruition on Sunday when Tom Brady ended the world's most farcical retirement after 40 days. Even when it appeared Brady would hang it up in 2022, Gronk always seemed to be leaning toward playing, and not necessarily for the Bucs. Tampa has some cap issues but nothing insurmountable. It's hard to believe Gronk won't be back by the bay. 

SOURCE: Jeff Howe on Twitter 

Mar 14, 2022, 1:33 PM ET

Rob Gronkowski's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, spoke with the Buccaneers on Wednesday about Gronkowski and told them that Gronkowski is "truly undecided" about playing in 2022.

Gronkowski admitted earlier in March that he might let Brady "have a little scare" as payback, so maybe that's where this is coming from. All signs still appear to be pointing to him rejoining the Bucs at some point, assuming his 33-year-old body can still handle the beating. It's going to be Bucs or retirement for Gronk. 

SOURCE: Cameron Wolfe on Twitter

Mar 24, 2022, 4:27 PM ET

CBS Sports' Jason LaCanfora expects Rob Gronkowski to re-sign with the Bucs.

"I don’t see him anywhere but Tampa if he plays," LaCanfora said on Gronkowski's status. “The band is essentially back." Gronkowski is expected to sign "at his own pace," potentially waiting until after OTAs next month. Gronkowski's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, has said the 33-year-old is "truly undecided" on playing in 2022.  With Tom Brady unretiring, it's more likely than not Gronkowski returns with the Bucs for another season.

RELATED: 

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

SOURCE: CBS Sports

Apr 2, 2022, 11:37 AM ET

In other news, water is wet, the sun is hot, children like puppies. :shrug:  

Gronk will be buc. He’s not retiring. 

Users who are viewing this thread