What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (2 Viewers)

Today I got to resume eating normal textured food. Made a hash of potatoes, bell pepper and onion for breakfast alongside some raspberries. For lunch I had a banana and some of my leftover mushy chickpea pasta, so didn’t exactly escape soft foods there. For dinner I had a burrito bowl with homemade refried beans, cilantro lime brown rice, and homemade pico de gallo over a bed of lettuce that had been dressed with fresh lime juice. Felt good to have some crunchy textures in my life. 

Did well yesterday with eating and even spent some time on the treadmill, then I had wine last night. Too much wine.  

40-min down dog full practice session this morning.  Went pretty well but my wrist that's been relatively fine since Tuesday wouldn't let me do crow (x2).  Will shovel snow later today for some exercise.

Keep up the good work!

Last night I made "poke bowls" for dinner with vinegared sushi rice and topped with cucumber and shredded carrots tossed in wasabi powder and coconut aminos, sliced nori sheets, avocado and roasted kabocha squash.  So freaking good.

Got on the bike this morning and grinded out a windy 23 miles, burning 1,400 active calories.  This ride put me over 3,000 miles on this bike since I bought it about a year and a half ago.

My wife had her booster shot early this morning and didn't feel great so my son and i have had daddy day all day and it's been pretty awesome.  Did some productive stuff like getting his hair cut and doing some errands/shopping, but mixed it up with playing air hockey at the cool barber's, sledding for hours and coming home to a pretend movie the with takeout from a place he got to pick.  He went all out on the movie night, making movie posters for the shows he wanted to watch and making popcorn and movie tickets. 

I got a quality video of us racing down the sled hill, his sled spinning out near the middle of the hill while i went full speed and crashed into the hay bales/ snowbank at the bottom of the hill as though I'm not in my late 40d, then him unexpectedly crashing into me from behind because he wanted to finish the race.   I'm going to be sore af tomorrow.   

Mom's asleep, he's asleep and I'm watching a show with real live actors instead of Phineas and Ferb.  Pretty good day imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
phineas and ferb are awesome 

lovely day of travel, delayed flights, cancelled flights.  I rerouted us to long beach.  our driver switched airports no problem(LAM!!)  the new flight, after the cancelled one, has been delayed and still hasn't left.  thank god i re routed us.  only down side is no booze, except in the front of the plane.  i was in row 4.  no dice. :sadbanana:   :lmao:   

eta: only airplane food, one black coffee and a bag of pretzels. My wife is awesome, hates airport/plane food, so she always makes us food when we travel. 

We went for my birthday dinner tonight and I avoided alcohol, but ate a ton of red meat. We went to a restaurant that served game food so I had a sampler with Venison, Elk, Kangaroo,Ostrich, and Buffalo.  All tasted good but I will still with cow.  I did spend 75 minutes on the bike earlier though to earn a few more calories. 

keep it up everyone 

I got out on the mountain bike today and really pushed myself. Rode 21 miles, 2,200 feet of elevation gain, and 2,400 active calories burned. Starting to feel like I’m regaining some of my strength, but still not back to 100%. The encouraging thing is that the race I’m training for in April is 25 miles and I think around 2,500 feet of climbing, so this was a fairly comparable ride

Haven't posted in a bit.  Still doing yoga daily, alternating between full practice and yin yoga for 40 minutes.  Shoveled a bunch of snow Thursday, Friday, and Saturday so really started feeling it on Saturday evening.  

Food choices have been moderate, alcohol has been consumed.  

Will try to stay off booze and eat better during the week.

Keep up the good work!

Seems just about everyone in here is making good progress, which is amazing. I haven’t stepped on the scale in about a week because I keep forgetting, but I will see where I’m at tomorrow morning.

Last week I tallied 75 miles on the bike, and got another 25 in today. Diet continues to be healthy since there isn’t much unhealthy stuff that I can eat. 

I've been having issues with various body parts and stupidly ignoring them.  My big toe joints are getting gradually worse such that I think I'm going to need surgery sooner than later.  And then during the last week or so of Adriene's "Move," I was having sometimes severe knee pain on the outside of my right knee.  Naturally, I ignored it.  Surprisingly it did go away for a few days, though. 

Yesterday I was taking a walk with my mom and it flared up again something fierce.  I had walked to her house (about 1.5 miles) to begin the walk together, and when we were done she offered to give me a ride home, but I'm no wussy who can't walk an extra 1.5 miles, so I said no.  Big mistake.  I nearly called her partway because the pain was so bad, but I hobbled home.  Apparently whatever I did to compensate for the pain there flared up another area, because by last night I didn't sleep due to excruciating pain about halfway between my knee and hip on the right side (IT band, I assume).  It feels as if I have a deep and sharp bruise in that area, but I don't.

So of course I just did 50 minutes of yoga.

My food consumption has been so bad lately that without the exercise I would be gaining a lot of weight, while instead I'm hovering within a half pound or so one way or another each week.  But this Wednesday I'm having a procedure that will require me not to exercise for a week, so I'll have to tune up the diet during that period.  It will be a good forced rest for my aching body, since I'm not sensible enough to rest unless forced.

:(  

I've been having issues with various body parts and stupidly ignoring them.  My big toe joints are getting gradually worse such that I think I'm going to need surgery sooner than later.  And then during the last week or so of Adriene's "Move," I was having sometimes severe knee pain on the outside of my right knee.  Naturally, I ignored it.  Surprisingly it did go away for a few days, though. 

Yesterday I was taking a walk with my mom and it flared up again something fierce.  I had walked to her house (about 1.5 miles) to begin the walk together, and when we were done she offered to give me a ride home, but I'm no wussy who can't walk an extra 1.5 miles, so I said no.  Big mistake.  I nearly called her partway because the pain was so bad, but I hobbled home.  Apparently whatever I did to compensate for the pain there flared up another area, because by last night I didn't sleep due to excruciating pain about halfway between my knee and hip on the right side (IT band, I assume).  It feels as if I have a deep and sharp bruise in that area, but I don't.

So of course I just did 50 minutes of yoga.

My food consumption has been so bad lately that without the exercise I would be gaining a lot of weight, while instead I'm hovering within a half pound or so one way or another each week.  But this Wednesday I'm having a procedure that will require me not to exercise for a week, so I'll have to tune up the diet during that period.  It will be a good forced rest for my aching body, since I'm not sensible enough to rest unless forced.

:(  
I would probably go get it checked out by a doctor even if these are the types of ailments that modern medicine isn't good at identifying.  My issues are totally unrelated to yours, but I've put off addressing my health issues up until now and it's bit me in the ###.  Never again.

Came in today at 200.... which is 8 pounds more than the last time I weighed myself.... oof.  I was pretty steady at 195 for a while before dropping down to 192 last week, so maybe the scale was off that day.

I did snack on some chickpea puffs last night that were loaded with sodium.  Wondering if I just retained a lot of water weight because of that.  Going to avoid those levels of sodium today and tomorrow and weigh in again on Thursday morning.  For the amount of exercise I've been doing and calculating my calorie intake I simply don't see how I would be gaining significant weight unless it's muscle mass that had been gained (doubtful).  I'm pretty new to even owning a scale, so I'm not sure how normal it is to fluctuate.

Skiing is my nirvana. Down to 180. Belt is on the last loop. Some shorts, won’t stay up without a belt. I need to try mountain biking, so I have an exercise outlet, similar to skiing, while I’m at home. I’ve found that if I exercise, hard, I can eat and drink whatever I want.   Pretty simple really.  I habitually eat pretty well, so I guess I’m talking about booze. 😬

but the damn bikes are $1000’s and I’m not sure I’ll love it. @Dickies is there a way to rent nicer bikes, for a few weeks/month?  I’ve done daily rentals at ski resorts, and had a pretty good time. But that’s almost zero uphill. 

thanks for letting me ramble. Got on the scale for the first t8me, in a long time this morning. Prompted some thoughts. 🤣🤣

Skiing is my nirvana. Down to 180. Belt is on the last loop. Some shorts, won’t stay up without a belt. I need to try mountain biking, so I have an exercise outlet, similar to skiing, while I’m at home. I’ve found that if I exercise, hard, I can eat and drink whatever I want.   Pretty simple really.  I habitually eat pretty well, so I guess I’m talking about booze. 😬

but the damn bikes are $1000’s and I’m not sure I’ll love it. @Dickies is there a way to rent nicer bikes, for a few weeks/month?  I’ve done daily rentals at ski resorts, and had a pretty good time. But that’s almost zero uphill. 

thanks for letting me ramble. Got on the scale for the first t8me, in a long time this morning. Prompted some thoughts. 🤣🤣
Long post incoming...

In normal times you could demo bikes.  You pay like $50 to take a bike out for the day, and if you buy the bike within 30 days they credit it back towards the purchase.  Full disclosure, I've never done this as I got into mountain biking during Covid when there was no inventory in the stores to demo.  I'm not sure if bike shops are back to doing this, but I'm considering dropping $6-7k on another bike and won't do it until I can demo the ones I'm considering.

My advice is to buy a used, capable hardtail that has all of the modern features you'll find on the most expensive of mountain bikes.  Even if you don't take to the hobby, most all the depreciation on the bike will have been covered and you can resell the bike for roughly what you paid for it.  If you lose a couple hundred bucks on it, consider it the cost of renting.  When I say features I am talking about a 1x12 drivetrain with a wide range cassette, strong disc brakes, dropper post (seat post that raises/lowers at the push of a button), tubeless wheels/tires, and a decent fork.  The $9,000 bike will have most of the same functionality as the $2,500 bike, but the components weigh less.  

This is what I ride, and I've ridden a bunch of gnarly trails in Tahoe as well as Downieville on it.  I don't know what your local trails are like, but I find that most people are over-biked where I typically ride.  Avoid getting the absolute cheapest entry level bike as it will just make riding less enjoyable and if you take to the hobby you'll quickly be looking to upgrade.  Also, mountain bikes take a beating, so the more capable the bike the less you need to worry about stuff breaking.

I know you're Socal, so I gave craigslist a quick check and saw this bike which is typically considered one of the best value mountain bikes, but it will lack some of the features/capability.  This bike basically checks all the boxes.  This bike is spec'd even nicer than the NS.  The Growler and the NS are bikes that would be capable enough to ride just about any terrain, given that you're also capable.

Above and beyond @Dickies  thanks dude!
I will also add, be prepared for a lot of pain when you start out. For whatever reason it’s a different kind of exercise. I’ve taken people out that are in far better physical shape than I am and it completely wipes them out. For me I take almost as much satisfaction in climbing a hill as I do going downhill.

There are 4-5 helicopter rescues every year. I think the trails are pretty legit. I’ve hiked all of them. Some I can’t imagine riding a bike down, let alone up. 
You would probably have a difficult time hiking down most of the stuff you’re skiing. When we hike some of the trails I ride, my wife can’t comprehend how anyone goes down some of the sections on a bike because they are barely hikeable, but for whatever reason it’s actually easier when there are two wheels attached. 

You would probably have a difficult time hiking down most of the stuff you’re skiing. When we hike some of the trails I ride, my wife can’t comprehend how anyone goes down some of the sections on a bike because they are barely hikeable, but for whatever reason it’s actually easier when there are two wheels attached. 
These trails are so rocky and rutted, and steep, it just looks really gnarly. 4-5 foot drops. My neighbor got coptered out. He was going down rock it. 

Mountain biking seems fun.  I don't have a bike, or any nearby mountains tho.  (We do have some trails in the metro, I think.)

No booze and ate decent yesterday.  

Did another full practice 40-min yoga session today.  Today was a bit of a slog, not sure why other than I'm having a little head congestion and didn't sleep well.  Still powered through.  

Will walk the dog later, we normally go about 1.5 miles.

Keep up the good work!

Mountain biking seems fun.  I don't have a bike, or any nearby mountains tho.  (We do have some trails in the metro, I think.)

No booze and ate decent yesterday.  

Did another full practice 40-min yoga session today.  Today was a bit of a slog, not sure why other than I'm having a little head congestion and didn't sleep well.  Still powered through.  

Will walk the dog later, we normally go about 1.5 miles.

Keep up the good work!
You don’t really need “mountains” to mountain bike.  There are a lot of metro areas that have good places to ride within the city. One of the best mountain biking locations in the entire Bay Area is within Oakland city limits.

Where are you located?

You don’t really need “mountains” to mountain bike.  There are a lot of metro areas that have good places to ride within the city. One of the best mountain biking locations in the entire Bay Area is within Oakland city limits.

Where are you located?
Oklahoma City metro area.  I believe we have some trails near a few local lakes.  

Haven’t checked in for a bit.   Last weeks work trip involved way too much food.  I haven’t stepped on the scale because that hasn’t really been part of the routine yet this year but I bet I gained a couple of pounds.   This week has been going well and I’m going to drop those pounds in the next week.

I used the elliptical that caused the broken nose for the first time yesterday.  That is a win.  We may not be able to win every day but we can win every week.  Stay positive.  Stay on target.  

Probably going to be a long post, but a lot has gone on in the last month since I got suspended.

The end of last year I was far less active and a lot less consistent in my bike riding, partly due to issues beyond my control, but ultimately I could have done more.  I put back on a lot of the weight that I had lost when I started making lifestyle changes at the start of Covid because I didn't really adjust my diet for the lack of activity.  

Had my second vasectomy procedure in the middle of December, and the recovery was even longer than the first one, so I basically was unable to do any real exercise through the end of December. 

Last Sunday I was feeling pretty good about things down there and was going to get out on a nice long ride.  I sat down to eat some lunch to fuel up (hatch chili braised shredded pork tacos), and on the first bite I had a piece of pork get lodged in my esophagus.  I got some water, took a sip and got the pork down, but as it went down there was an instant and excruciating pain.  The worst pain I've felt in my life.  I was buckled over on the floor.  I got myself back up and tried to take another sip of water in case it was something like a chili irritating my throat, and when the water went down my throat it was just more immediate extreme pain.  I called for my wife and told her we needed to go to the hospital.

We rushed to the ER, I got checked in pretty fast so was hopeful I'd get some pain relief shortly, but I ended up waiting for 3-4 hours in total agony for them to run a host of tests before they would finally hook up an IV and give me some meds.  The doctors came in a few hours later and told me I had torn my esophagus and I will need to go into surgery, but the hospital I was at was not the best equipped for this type of procedure, so I got transported by ambulance to a neighboring hospital.  Consulted with the surgeon, and he said it is a very serious and life threatening condition, and the surgery is no joke either, so I started to get a little nervous.  

The next morning I was woken up so that they could wheel me into surgery at 8:00.  They were taking me to the OR when I was intercepted by the surgeon telling me that they no longer think I need surgery.  This also made me nervous because while I was a little scared of the procedure I want the problem to be fixed.  They told me after reviewing the CT scans with others that they are more confident that I "only" lacerated my esophagus, but did not put a hole or tear in it.  They sent me in for some more tests to 100% confirm that, and thankfully it was confirmed.

I got discharged from the hospital on Wednesday, and was ordered to be on a "clear liquid diet" until I have a follow up with the doctor who was going to perform my surgery.  When I called his office to schedule the follow up they told me the earliest I could be seen was the 24th.  Jumped through all kinds of hoops and spent the entire day on the phone calling doctors last Friday to try to find something sooner and finally found a GI doctor that could talk to me tomorrow morning.  

I am signed up for another mountain bike race in April that I've been itching to start training for.  My goals were to drop about 25-30 pounds and do exercises beyond just legs.  All of this medical stuff has been a bit of a setback, and I'm feeling incredibly weak from the lack of calories.  I went on a small ride yesterday that is typically pretty easy and straightforward, and it took everything in my being to keep pedaling up the hill.

The silver lining in all of this is that over the past week I have lost over 36 pounds.  I'm sure some of that will come back once I resume a normal diet, but i have a feeling I'm going to be on a restricted diet with mostly soft vegetables and fruit for a while until they can do further testing.  The root cause of this is a mild food allergy that I have to corn, so I'm going to meet with an allergist and dietician in case I haven't been diligent enough in cutting corn out..... which will probably lead to less fried food (a good thing).

Oh, and dry January got a lot easier with me needing to be on antibiotics that don't mix well with alcohol through 1/27.  Looking to cut dramatically back on beers in general at least until my race in April.

@Dickies - I'll catch up on the thread but hope you are doing better my man.  Question for you (and apologies if addressed somewhere) - how did a corn allergy lead to a lacerated esophagus?

Accountability time! 2022 continues to be a very poor year on the health front. Nothing horrible has happened, I’m just in a big rut. At the beginning of the year I mentioned that I was dealing with left knee pain, and a week of rest turned into two which turned into six — the knee feels better at this point but still not 100%, which is a bit concerning.

Diet sorta fell off with my exercise, too. Still eating decent lunches and breakfasts, still avoiding fast food for the most part, but I’m having too much sugar and WAY too much booze. That needs to change ASAP.

I’m currently trying to work, finish a master’s degree, and find a new job all at the same time, so it’s been way too easy to just hit the snooze button and choose an extra hour of sleep over going on a morning run. And as one can imagine, exercising less + eating worse + drinking a ton has not been great for my mental health either — which makes it even tougher to get back into a healthy routine, and has contributed to my absence from the boards. I’m back in here though because it’s time to make my health a priority again. Going to start with a few small, immediate goals:

-Stretch / foam roll tonight
-Stretch / foam roll tomorrow night
-Run 3 miles Monday as slow as I need to

If my knee can hold up, that should be enough to start some positive momentum again. Hope everyone else is doing well — when I have more free time tonight I’ll try to go through and read everything I missed. 

@Dickies - I'll catch up on the thread but hope you are doing better my man.  Question for you (and apologies if addressed somewhere) - how did a corn allergy lead to a lacerated esophagus?
I actually don’t really know if it is a corn allergy. I was diagnosed with a condition called eosiniphilic esophagitis. My understanding is that my body treats certain foods and possibly environmental allergens as if I am allergic to them, even though I may test negative to an actual allergy test. I just had another allergy test done and corn showed no reaction. Basically I have gone years without knowing about this condition and as a result it’s gone untreated and done damage to my esophagus. I’m currently cutting out all of the major allergens in addition to corn since I did notice an improvement in my symptoms when I was diagnosed as being allergic to corn. Assuming my tests show a lot of progress I can start adding foods back one at a time at the end of next month. Will be a process that takes a year or more, and something I’ll have to manage for the rest of my life 

Accountability time! 2022 continues to be a very poor year on the health front. Nothing horrible has happened, I’m just in a big rut. At the beginning of the year I mentioned that I was dealing with left knee pain, and a week of rest turned into two which turned into six — the knee feels better at this point but still not 100%, which is a bit concerning.

Diet sorta fell off with my exercise, too. Still eating decent lunches and breakfasts, still avoiding fast food for the most part, but I’m having too much sugar and WAY too much booze. That needs to change ASAP.

I’m currently trying to work, finish a master’s degree, and find a new job all at the same time, so it’s been way too easy to just hit the snooze button and choose an extra hour of sleep over going on a morning run. And as one can imagine, exercising less + eating worse + drinking a ton has not been great for my mental health either — which makes it even tougher to get back into a healthy routine, and has contributed to my absence from the boards. I’m back in here though because it’s time to make my health a priority again. Going to start with a few small, immediate goals:

-Stretch / foam roll tonight
-Stretch / foam roll tomorrow night
-Run 3 miles Monday as slow as I need to

If my knee can hold up, that should be enough to start some positive momentum again. Hope everyone else is doing well — when I have more free time tonight I’ll try to go through and read everything I missed. 

I love this post.  I mean, not that I love that you fell out of your good groove, but the accountability and the firm and reasonable plan to get back out.  You and I seem a lot alike in much of this and in our strengths and weaknesses.  Heartily wishing you success.

Users who are viewing this thread