What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

PSA: clean garbage disposal with ice cubes trick (1 Viewer)

offdee

Footballguy
Anybody ever done this?

I came across it and gave it a try.....and damn, it works.  And damn, it's gross to see how dirty the disposal really is.

- Take out your automatic ice maker box from your freezer and just dump the whole contents into your sink

- Push ice cubes down into your drain to pack it where you can't push anymore in

- Turn on COLD water at HALF PRESSURE

- Start garbage disposal

- Just let it go and after about 20 seconds or so you'll start to see some brown water coming up from drain. 

- Stare at it in disgust

- After a while pack the rest of the cubes down into the drain and it may do another round of brown sludge.

- Just let it go (keep both water and disposal running) until it kind of clears itself...you'll know when that happens (kind of sucks everything in quickly to show the all clear)

Last edited by a moderator:
We quit using our garbage disposal about 8 years ago. All of our veggie waste goes into our compost pile. Anything else into the garbage. My house is 53 years old so it has cast iron drain pipes, and they really weren't designed for food waste. 

We quit using our garbage disposal about 8 years ago. All of our veggie waste goes into our compost pile. Anything else into the garbage. My house is 53 years old so it has cast iron drain pipes, and they really weren't designed for food waste. 
Thanks for your service. :salute:

Nope, not the same thing.

Just try the steps I posted in original post and you'll see.
ive been doing the lemon and occasional baking soda for years :shrug:   It never smells so i may or may not have sludge but dont really care that much 

ive been doing the lemon and occasional baking soda for years :shrug:   It never smells so i may or may not have sludge but dont really care that much 
Weird stance.  All that it costs you to do it is some ice cubes and 2 mins of your time.  If nothing else just to see it in person.  Long run saves you some lemons and backing soda.

Weird stance.  All that it costs you to do it is some ice cubes and 2 mins of your time.  If nothing else just to see it in person.  Long run saves you some lemons and backing soda.
lol - i'm not taking a stance.....  I'm glad your cleaning method works

:lmao:   You'll spend more time buying and cutting up lemons.
Or maybe he just throws in any used citrus fruits when the opportunity arises? We use lemon and lime juice all the time, and the husks are always thrown in the disposal.

@offdee

Sometimes the people who need the most help won’t take it.

:oldunsure:

Wait, actually that’s a quote from A River Runs Through It. The point remains.

You did your best. If people want to live substandard, empty lives full of bacteria, fungus, mold & mildew - nothing we can do about that.

Fun factoid: garbage disposals were illegal in NYC for about 25 years (early 70s to late 90s) over concerns about the city’s old pipes. Though legal now, many apartment buildings still don’t allow them.

I do it although infrequently. You all with smelly disposals, what the hell you doing over there? I've never had an issue with that.

I do it although infrequently. You all with smelly disposals, what the hell you doing over there? I've never had an issue with that.
Me either but I’ve been doing ice in the disposal for years. I don’t try to shove so much in that it backs up (have seen that happen), just every so often if I have extra ice. My wife and kids like lemons so we do grind those here and there so that might be why there isn’t much smell. I also try to throw away most big stuff like chicken trimmings or egg shells or my kids eating a whole box of strawberries in one sitting and leaving dozens of strawberry tops in the sink.

yeah do it once a month.  some day I’m going to send a sample of the brown sludge to the lab :oldunsure:

Did you take a new job as Head of PR for the powerful ice lobby? You seem really invested in this lifehack.

They offered unlimited PTO. Had to take it.
I got on the wrong side of the ice lobbyist once, they caught me telling someone they didn’t need ice in a refrigerated drink.  Never again! Warm soda and no iced tea for a month.  No thank you!  

Does the brown sludge payoff come after the 2nd round b/c I just got a tiny bit at the end?   Did get a nice funky smell though.   Went ice with a healthy dose of lemon juice.  

Does the brown sludge payoff come after the 2nd round b/c I just got a tiny bit at the end?   Did get a nice funky smell though.   Went ice with a healthy dose of lemon juice.  
Did you pack the disposal before starting water or disposal?  Did you use cold water at only half pressure?

If you've never cleaned your disposal before, the payoff should come around the 20-30 second mark after starting water/disposal.

Did you pack the disposal before starting water or disposal?  Did you use cold water at only half pressure?

If you've never cleaned your disposal before, the payoff should come around the 20-30 second mark after starting water/disposal.
I followed all your instructions.  I've never cleaned it and its been about 6 years for this one.   About the 20 second mark after all the ice got chewed up is when I saw a little brown liquid come up but not very much.    I might not be a heavy user though.  Any big stuff goes into the trash.  I just use it so that I don't have to have that nasty strainer in the sink so its mostly small stuff.   

why not just put a whole lemon in?
And this isn't an issue with smell.  Mine didn't smell at all.  I just saw this trick and was curious so I decided to try it.     Looked like someone took a huge diarrhea dump in my sink for a couple minutes.

Lemons will just mask the smell.  This actually cleans the brown sludge out of the disposal and pipes.  I'm guessing something to do with the pressure caused by the cold, water and lack of air....it pushes all the sludge to the surface and then almost vacuums it all back down when that air seal is broken.

And this isn't an issue with smell.  Mine didn't smell at all.  I just saw this trick and was curious so I decided to try it.     Looked like someone took a huge diarrhea dump in my sink for a couple minutes.

Lemons will just mask the smell.  This actually cleans the brown sludge out of the disposal and pipes.  I'm guessing something to do with the pressure caused by the cold, water and lack of air....it pushes all the sludge to the surface and then almost vacuums it all back down when that air seal is broken.
such a sour ####

Makes no sense.  How would ice work better than say, Liquid Drano or some ####.  Unless you're trying to actually break the disposal blades.

Please just don’t start advocating peeing down the disposal.  
:homer:  Homer Simpson: [sings] I get knocked down, I get knocked down again, you're never gonna knock me down... I take a whiskey drink, I take a chocolate drink, and when I have to pee, I use the kitchen sink! I sing the song that reminds me I'm a urinating guy. (quotes.net)

Users who are viewing this thread