What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Trey Sermon, Colts (1 Viewer)

In the 'local leagues" I was able to grab Mitchell in the 4th and 5th rounds, for whatever reason, many folks don't view him as a potential RB1 but part of a unique RBBC involving Deebo. Thankfully some folks think Samuel is their lead back, certainly the bump in pay I understand but they are not paying him per carry.
I just realized you aren't talking about dynasty. Mine were dynasty rookie-only drafts.

Sanders will take a slight bump down i would think
Having watched a lot of Sermon, I don’t see him as a threat to Sanders outlook at all.
Are you talking college and pros? Sermon has barely played in the NFL.

Sanders is nothing more than a placeholder. Sermon has an uphill battle to be meaningful at this point. You have to wonder if the rapid cut is more to do with off-field stuff than on-field. That was a weird situation from the get to.

Sanders will take a slight bump down i would think
Having watched a lot of Sermon, I don’t see him as a threat to Sanders outlook at all.
Are you talking college and pros? Sermon has barely played in the NFL.

Sanders is nothing more than a placeholder. Sermon has an uphill battle to be meaningful at this point. You have to wonder if the rapid cut is more to do with off-field stuff than on-field. That was a weird situation from the get to.
Talking about what the beat writers have said, and his preseason performance.

His highlight reel from college had me (and others) excited. His NFL-level play has been sub-par.

Shanny kept saying, “he looks better in practice” “we see some great things in practice”

Yeah - notsomuch. Good luck to him in Philly. Seems like a nice kid.

In the 'local leagues" I was able to grab Mitchell in the 4th and 5th rounds, for whatever reason, many folks don't view him as a potential RB1 but part of a unique RBBC involving Deebo. Thankfully some folks think Samuel is their lead back, certainly the bump in pay I understand but they are not paying him per carry.
I just realized you aren't talking about dynasty. Mine were dynasty rookie-only drafts.
FTR: MoP almost 100% Redraft so always understand the intent. I have realized over the years that I step on a few toes because folks have investments beyond a 6th in Redraft like me.

but the flip side is I usually am ahead of others in my league by accident on waivers because I have been reading a lot in here. Some would call that "next week's waiver darlings" but I like to look at it as proactive vs reactive.

Sermon to the Eagles, they are being projected by many to score a lot of points and i have scooped up AJB in almost all my redrafts, he seems to always fall into the last on my 2nd tier, I have him ranked higher than others I'm sure.

I think this is a great spot for Sermon to land, the Eagles don't lose a lot by trying him out and kicking the tires. I like Gainwell but he has an uphill battle to become a full time player in the NFL as do all of them in Philly since nobody seems to seize control. Sanders and Sermon could end up as the 2 back in a time share but I think early on I doubt we see a lot of trey Sermon.

Twitter is interesting

Waldman likes the fit. (which I agree with)

Chris Harris implies his NFL snaps weren't necessarily conclusive(which I agree with)

Howard was a starting RB for a few seasons before falling out with the Bears.

It's not like he hadn't shown he could play in the NFL.

Yes age and his play style caught up with him.

this is a kid who needs a supportive and healthy team atmosphere to succeed at the level he eventually did in college and SF was the literal opposite of that for him

Shanahan resented the pick from day 1 and they essentially just screwed the kid over by sucking at workplace communication

Im rooting for him to bounce back from all this and will be on the lookout for solid locker room interviews in Philly that could be helpful in trying to figure his determination and resilience after getting hung out to dry as soon as he entered the league

(my sources for all this are Matt Waldman, sermons very limited but slightly revealing tweets, and familiarity with his family history and Shanahan’s dislike of him vs GM cheerleading)

edited bc I can’t spell right

Last edited:
Twitter also saying that Philly was talking trade with the Niners last week and the Niners walked away...and eventually cut him.

Makes you wonder what's going on in that SF front office?
How much of this is true? If it is, there's value in holding on to him a bit longer. If they wanted to trade for him before, they must have an idea of how they'd want to use him. Not just a 'what the heck' pickup.

Twitter also saying that Philly was talking trade with the Niners last week and the Niners walked away...and eventually cut him.

Makes you wonder what's going on in that SF front office?
How much of this is true? If it is, there's value in holding on to him a bit longer. If they wanted to trade for him before, they must have an idea of how they'd want to use him. Not just a 'what the heck' pickup.
Schefter is reporting it, so not just a rumor.

this is a kid who needs a supportive and healthy team atmosphere to succeed at the level he eventually did in college and SF was the literal opposite of that for him

Shanahan resented the pick from day 1 and they essentially just screwed the kid over by sucking at workplace communication

Im rooting for him to bounce back from all this and will be on the lookout for solid locker room interviews in Philly that could be helpful in trying to figure his determination and resilience after getting hung out to dry as soon as he entered the league

(my sources for all this are Matt Waldman, sermons very limited but slightly revealing tweets, and familiarity with his family history and Shanahan’s dislike of him vs GM cheerleading)

edited bc I can’t spell right

All of this...Sermon needed to get out of there.

People were on this train partly or mostly because it was San Fran and Kyle Shanahan. Now he's leaving and its, boy good thing he's leaving there.

My guess is he's not good. But I've been wrong. I'm wondering why people think all he needs is a change of scenery. Has there ever been a player cut after one season who turned out to actually be good? I know there's Kareem Hunt, but I mean, that's a little different.

People were on this train partly or mostly because it was San Fran and Kyle Shanahan. Now he's leaving and its, boy good thing he's leaving there.

My guess is he's not good. But I've been wrong. I'm wondering why people think all he needs is a change of scenery. Has there ever been a player cut after one season who turned out to actually be good? I know there's Kareem Hunt, but I mean, that's a little different.
I don't think anybody is using anything but a deep flier or waiver add on him. What most people are saying is that he never had a fair shake in SF and it will be interesting to see if he can work his way up the Philly depth chart.

Sounds like you are saying, probably not. Many of us are saying, who knows, will be fun to see how it shakes out.

Arian Foster was released by the Texans and then re-signed to the practice squad

Sounds like he's good at pass protection and can catch a ball. PHI has an O-line that is any RBs dream, will run the ball and seems to, at least in the past 5 years, found a role for bruisers (Blount/Howard) in their rotation WITH a chance for those guys to produce weekly numbers. If he sees the ball, he can be a weekly flex RB after other RBS around the league start to get injured/have byes in that O.

Arian Foster was released by the Texans and then re-signed to the practice squad
Yep. As a rookie. And he played on the active roster as a rookie. He wasn’t cut the next year during training camp.

I don't think anybody is using anything but a deep flier or waiver add on him. What most people are saying is that he never had a fair shake in SF and it will be interesting to see if he can work his way up the Philly depth chart.

Sounds like you are saying, probably not. Many of us are saying, who knows, will be fun to see how it shakes out
Mmmm, how long have people been saying this?
Suddenly Sermon is an end of the roster flier? Wasn't this way a month ago.

I would not expect much, but I would have some hope in him. I'm in the "didn't get a fair shake/see what he can do" camp. It honestly seemed like Shanahan hated him just based on usage. It was as if, even if all the rest of the RB's were injured, they might try throwing the punter in at RB before giving Sermon a shot. Statistically, I don't see "bad" results. Mixed results. If he averaged 2.3 ypc in his limited sample of opportunities, I'd feel much differently. But the RB situation in Philadelphia is a mess, which I don't like.

I would not expect much, but I would have some hope in him. I'm in the "didn't get a fair shake/see what he can do" camp. It honestly seemed like Shanahan hated him just based on usage. It was as if, even if all the rest of the RB's were injured, they might try throwing the punter in at RB before giving Sermon a shot. Statistically, I don't see "bad" results. Mixed results. If he averaged 2.3 ypc in his limited sample of opportunities, I'd feel much differently. But the RB situation in Philadelphia is a mess, which I don't like.
The idea that Shanahan hated a guy he drafted in the 3rd round, for no good reason, is very odd. It’s far more likely that they liked him enough to draft him but that his performance — in practice, in the offseason, in games — simply showed them that they made a mistake drafting him.

The idea that Shanahan hated a guy he drafted in the 3rd round
I guess it depends who calls the shots. The rumours were that it wasn't his call on that pick, but I would think he would have control over who is drafted? But I dont know the make-up of that front office/coaching system to really know who runs the draft.

The idea that Shanahan hated a guy he drafted in the 3rd round
I guess it depends who calls the shots. The rumours were that it wasn't his call on that pick, but I would think he would have control over who is drafted? But I dont know the make-up of that front office/coaching system to really know who runs the draft.
It seems like Shanahan gets whomever he wants. But fair point.

Ya I would think so too. Maybe Niners fans have more insight on this. But if he really does have full control of the draft, then obviously the rumour of him being unhappy about the pick is false.

Ya I would think so too. Maybe Niners fans have more insight on this. But if he really does have full control of the draft, then obviously the rumour of him being unhappy about the pick is false.

Yeah, I've never heard anything about Kyle not being happy with the pick. Seems like he was an afterthought all last season though, like Kyle purposely didn't want to give him carries, even when he was the healthiest RB on the roster. So strange.

I'm reminded of some guy named Joe, I think Williams, Shanahan supposedly insisted on taking in the 3rd or 4th a few years back. By insisted, I mean he threw a fit about it. This particular running back didn't play much either, but at least stayed thru at least most of his rookie contract.

I suppose it wouldn't make sense to say that he hated Sermon as a prospect from the very beginning, but are there not various ways post-draft to become hated and then "shunned"? For instance, maybe you're right his practices were in fact awful. His play in games didn't seem awful.

I'm wondering why people think all he needs is a change of scenery. Has there ever been a player cut after one season who turned out to actually be good? I know there's Kareem Hunt, but I mean, that's a little different.
You never know when a change of scenery will help a player out. Thomas Jones comes to mind.

Yeah, that one got by me.

Probably because I found out I drew the 9 spot in my draft tomorrow and am distracted trying to decide if I'm going with Kamara or Barkley or, hopefully, both.

;)
Even when the first 8 picks are going to be QBs!?!?!
LOL! Probably not eight but maybe four. It's crazy how a league would dare to try and make magic football QBs have actual value, right?

So I'm probably looking at QBs like Murray or Hurts (maybe Mahomes?), one of the top 3 WRs or even a Dalvin/Henry/Mixon at RB.

So many pathways to success. It's terrible.

I am ready to believe that a 49ers player was taken that wasn't Shanahan's first choice, like they take a defensive tackle over his preferred wideout, or running back.

The very last position on the field, where Lynch would force a player on Shanahan......is RB.

Is it possible that Sermon asked them to simply release him and his wish was granted?

Could it be that simple?
Hmmm... I guess that's quite possible. Why else would they walk away from trade talks with Philly, talk about how well he's looked, then simply release him out of the blue?
Not saying I believe it, but I guess that is possible for sure.

My Philly-based main redraft league is drafting on 9/10. 12 teams, 18 rounds. There’s a 100% chance Sermon gets taken barring a catastrophic injury between now and then.

Is it possible that Sermon asked them to simply release him and his wish was granted?

Could it be that simple?
Hmmm... I guess that's quite possible. Why else would they walk away from trade talks with Philly, talk about how well he's looked, then simply release him out of the blue?
Not saying I believe it, but I guess that is possible for sure.
I doubt anyone was offering anything for Sermon when it was certain many RBs would be available after roster cut downs.

If Cordarr
My Philly-based main redraft league is drafting on 9/10. 12 teams, 18 rounds. There’s a 100% chance Sermon gets taken barring a catastrophic injury between now and then.
How do you have a draft after the first game? Can you start guys from the Thursday game already knowing what they scored?? Or are they off limits for week 1.

If Cordarr
How do you have a draft after the first game? Can you start guys from the Thursday game already knowing what they scored?? Or are they off limits for week 1.
You can draft and start guys from the first game, but when you make the pick, you have to announce right there if they are starting in week 1 or not.

This led to Kareem Hunt going in the first round of our 2017 draft.

If Cordarr
You can draft and start guys from the first game, but when you make the pick, you have to announce right there if they are starting in week 1 or not.

This led to Kareem Hunt going in the first round of our 2017 draft.
Interesting!

Oh hey, an artifact from earlier when I was going to bring up Cordarrelle Patterson and decided not to. Neat.

Were they? They claimed him off waivers, didn't they?
man, keep up lol
They were in trade talks with the niners and trying to make a deal with them and SF walked away from it. Then released him days later.
Keep up with a rumor that never materialized?

Okay, sounds like you wasted your time on that one.
Man it took you days to even know he got signed lol. You shouldn't be throwing stones.

And yes I believe they were in trade talks.

Users who are viewing this thread