What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Trey Sermon, Colts (1 Viewer)

Were they? They claimed him off waivers, didn't they?
man, keep up lol
They were in trade talks with the niners and trying to make a deal with them and SF walked away from it. Then released him days later.
Keep up with a rumor that never materialized?

Okay, sounds like you wasted your time on that one.
Man it took you days to even know he got signed lol. You shouldn't be throwing stones.

And yes I believe they were in trade talks.
Days? It was yesterday afternoon . But if you consider that time we'll spent then more power to you.

49ers "Oh hai Eeglez. Do u want to give us sumthin fer Trey Serminz?"

Phili "But you're going to cut him, right? Everyone knows that."

49ers "Uhhh...noes"

Phili "That's okay, we'll just go get Sony Michel or Duke Johnson or Marlon Mack or..."

49ers "Okay, thanks byez"

49ers "Someone tell Shefter"

Shefter "YAYZ!!!! I BREAKZ ALL THA NEWZEZ!!!"

Last edited:

49ers "Oh hai Eeglez. Do u want to give us sumthin fer Trey Serminz?"

49ers "Uhhh...noes"

Phili "That's okay, we'll just go get Sony Michel or Duke Johnson or Marlon Mack or..."

49ers "Okay, thanks byez"

49ers "Someone tell Shefter"

Shefter "YAYZ!!!! I BREAKZ ALL THA NEWZEZ!!!"
1. You're implying that it was SF who called PHI to make a deal but you don't know that.
2. Be nice.

Ya reports I’ve read suggested it was Eagles who were inquiring about a trade not the other way around

And more per convo today I missed while at work ya my pro-Sermon view is mostly sympathy he got shafted by 49ers front office v Shanahan drama (ppl should listen to Waldman’s solo podcast on that on his website he makes that case well) but he’s def still not a likely fantasy success story in Phi

to me it’s essentially like a rookie year retry where we will at least get to see his talent utilized constructively but now he’s got more cards stacked against him in terms of his pride getting hurt in SF and a team with not as much invested in him institutionally vs his unknown capacity for emotional resilience

pure fantasy wise there’s nothing here except getting to see his talent unleashed from unhelpful scheme and team politics which even on the <40% chance that happens would be gradual and he wouldn’t be lineup worthy until week 10+, I say that bc that’s how his success in college came

Last edited:
I'm reminded of some guy named Joe, I think Williams, Shanahan supposedly insisted on taking in the 3rd or 4th a few years back. By insisted, I mean he threw a fit about it. This particular running back didn't play much either, but at least stayed thru at least most of his rookie contract.
No, Williams was cut after one year too.

Twitter also saying that Philly was talking trade with the Niners last week and the Niners walked away...and eventually cut him.

You're implying that it was SF who called PHI to make a deal but you don't know that.

Ya reports I’ve read suggested it was Eagles who were inquiring about a trade not the other way around
Yep, but @Chaka would rather be argumentative than be wrong. It's very likely Philly called SF about the trade, and very unlikely it played out in that ridiculous way he posted it.

Why would "everyone know he was going to be cut?" They put him on their final 53 man roster (maybe you were also unaware of this), it would make no sense to have him make that over someone else they wanted to keep, if they planned on ditching him anyways.

Last edited:
"In trade talks" doesn't mean any offer actually happened. Most likely it was exactly as Chaka explained without all the pedantic diabtribe. They talked, couldn't reach anything close to an agreement, and SFO decided to keep him on the 53 maybe as a bluff maybe as a last ditch effort to wring a 7th out.

"In trade talks" doesn't mean any offer actually happened. Most likely it was exactly as Chaka explained without all the pedantic diabtribe. They talked, couldn't reach anything close to an agreement, and SFO decided to keep him on the 53 maybe as a bluff maybe as a last ditch effort to wring a 7th out.
He mentioned it as SF approaching Philly. It's been reported that Philly reached out to them.

How do you say they "couldn't reach anything close to an agreement", if you're saying that SF would have been happy with even a 7th round pick? So you're suggesting it's possible that Philly had trade talks with them, offered or discussed somehow giving them LESS than a 7th rounder, and then decided to use a valuable a roster spot to hopefully GET a 7th rounder? :ponder:

Twitter also saying that Philly was talking trade with the Niners last week and the Niners walked away...and eventually cut him.

You're implying that it was SF who called PHI to make a deal but you don't know that.

Yep, but @Chaka would rather be argumentative than be wrong. It's very likely Philly called SF about the trade, and very unlikely it played out in that ridiculous way he posted it.

Why would "everyone know he was going to be cut?" They put him on their final 53 man roster (maybe you were also unaware of this), it would make no sense to have him make that over someone else they wanted to keep, if they planned on ditching him anyways.
Okay, if it happened (and it's still simply a rumor), great. So what? Niners, asked too much and for some baffling reason didn't accept whatever low-ball offer Philly made and just gave him away for nothing. Seems pretty spot on to my satire above (apologies for not including a trigger warning @Deamon ).

What is Sermon's value in Philly ATM? Is his signing a vote of no confidence in Sanders, Gainwell & Scott? Does he have a greater opportunity to take over the backfield, or even be relevant, than he did in San Francisco?

I actually like Sermon a little, he looked entirely lost last year doing almost everything, but when he did get his limited opportunities to carry the ball he actually seemed to run with authority, although not always in the direction the play was designed. He's an interesting physical prospect. I won't invest any draft capital in him today, but I will have him on my watch list.

@JohnnyU … can we get a thread title change when you get a chance?

I’m not sure which is more confusing to me to pick. SF RBs or PHI RBs…

I’ve steered clear of both in redraft. I had pieces of both last year and it was more of a headache than it was worth. And I managed to pick the wrong ones most times.

@JohnnyU … can we get a thread title change when you get a chance?

I’m not sure which is more confusing to me to pick. SF RBs or PHI RBs…

I’ve steered clear of both in redraft. I had pieces of both last year and it was more of a headache than it was worth. And I managed to pick the wrong ones most times.
done

Okay, if it happened (and it's still simply a rumor), great.
There ya go, you're comin around.

So what? Niners, asked too much and for some baffling reason didn't accept whatever low-ball offer Philly made and just gave him away for nothing.
It doesn't matter. You brought all this up because we were discussing WHY SF would have done this, or maybe if like MOP suggested, they planned to keep him but simply as a 3rd/4th RB on the team and he asked for a release.

Seems pretty spot on to my satire above (apologies for not including a trigger warning @Deamon ).
Not at all as you suggested SF approached them, and suggested that Philly offered zero. It matters in this context as it's strange they turned down the 'low ball offer' just to cut him 2 days later. Maybe something happened behind closed doors?

What is Sermon's value in Philly ATM? Is his signing a vote of no confidence in Sanders, Gainwell & Scott? Does he have a greater opportunity to take over the backfield, or even be relevant, than he did in San Francisco?
The most likely scenario is he doesn't do much in Philly, but they have only 3 other RB's and 4 other WR's, so adding a 4th RB was likely. Add in the health of Sanders and the potentially low confidence in Gainwell, and the signing makes a lot of sense, even if it turns into nothing. Probably has a better opportunity to take over Philly backfield over any other team, but I still say the probability is low.

I actually like Sermon a little, he looked entirely lost last year doing almost everything, but when he did get his limited opportunities to carry the ball he actually seemed to run with authority, although not always in the direction the play was designed. He's an interesting physical prospect. I won't invest any draft capital in him today, but I will have him on my watch list.
He's probably fantasy irrelevant unless you have an extremely deep league and he's a dart throw. But for Philly the signing makes a ton of sense and has little to no downside.

Does he have any value whatsoever in dynasty? Was just dropped in mine (25 + 4 taxi 10 teamer), contemplating putting in solid FAAB bid

Every time I see this thread bumped this morning I forget what we're doing here and I'm wondering whether he's gonna play this week.

Dude, he's on bye, rock. Yes, I guess I have to refer to myself in the third person to remember that this was an accident.

The Sermon truthers will surface again if the Eagles aren’t able to re-sign Sanders.
Doesn’t this open the door for Gainwell? Or is he “proven” to be more change of pace? (I honestly don’t watch the eagles or follow Gainwell, so not sure what he’s looked like so far)

The Sermon truthers will surface again if the Eagles aren’t able to re-sign Sanders.
Doesn’t this open the door for Gainwell? Or is he “proven” to be more change of pace? (I honestly don’t watch the eagles or follow Gainwell, so not sure what he’s looked like so far)
I hate to admit it, but Gainwell will never be more than a COP back. There is a new phrase for those backs just like him coming to a draft near you, they always stand the risk of getting “Kenny Gainwell’d”.

His usage has been inconsistent and perplexing. I suspect if Sanders signs elsewhere, the Eagles #1 RB for 2023 is not currently on the roster.

I picked him up off waivers in one league about 8 weeks ago and not sure why I can’t drop him each week. We have 30 man rosters which expand for the rookie draft so at this point I’ll carry him through the offseason but he’s a long shot now.

I picked him up off waivers in one league about 8 weeks ago and not sure why I can’t drop him each week. We have 30 man rosters which expand for the rookie draft so at this point I’ll carry him through the offseason but he’s a long shot now.
I shamelessly have him in one league from the waiver wire, but may have to drop in May.

Thought I had in more than one league.

Last edited:

Eagles coach Nick Sirianni said Trey Sermon "got a chance to be really good."

We swear this was said in 2023. Sirianni was effusive in his praise for Sermon's practice play, saying "I can't tell you how many times at practice he made a cut or you just saw him in his pads or he made a play on a screen or whatever it was," and adding "I wish we could get him touches." Ultimately we don't expect a major role for Sermon next season, but he should have a full offseason to make the case that he deserves them in 2023.
SOURCE: Zach Berman on Twitter
Mar 28, 2023 at 1:16 PM ET

Eagles coach Nick Sirianni said Trey Sermon "got a chance to be really good."

We swear this was said in 2023. Sirianni was effusive in his praise for Sermon's practice play, saying "I can't tell you how many times at practice he made a cut or you just saw him in his pads or he made a play on a screen or whatever it was," and adding "I wish we could get him touches." Ultimately we don't expect a major role for Sermon next season, but he should have a full offseason to make the case that he deserves them in 2023.
SOURCE: Zach Berman on Twitter
Mar 28, 2023 at 1:16 PM ET
"He's so amazingly great. Basically Barry Sanders. Not like, Barry Sanders-esque, or whatever. Just straight up Barry Sanders. Really a shame that everyone else on the team is vastly better than him or we would probably try giving him the ball a couple times."

The Athletic’s Zach Berman projects RB Trey Sermon to make the team’s 53-man roster over RB Boston Scott.

To be fair, The Atheltic’s Bo Wulf projected Scott to get the final running back spot over Sermon, so this is far from a settled debate. Berman noted that keeping Sermon would allow the Eagles to hang onto until the end of his contract after the 2024 season. Scott would also be easy to stash on Philly’s practice squad. Nick Sirianni talked up Sermon in the spring and has been giving him some reps with the first-team offense. He could be worth a stash in deep dynasty leagues but is off the radar in redraft formats.

The Athletic’s Zach Berman projects RB Trey Sermon to make the team’s 53-man roster over RB Boston Scott.

To be fair, The Atheltic’s Bo Wulf projected Scott to get the final running back spot over Sermon, so this is far from a settled debate. Berman noted that keeping Sermon would allow the Eagles to hang onto until the end of his contract after the 2024 season. Scott would also be easy to stash on Philly’s practice squad. Nick Sirianni talked up Sermon in the spring and has been giving him some reps with the first-team offense. He could be worth a stash in deep dynasty leagues but is off the radar in redraft formats.
I'm not so sure Scott would be an easy stash.

This is the game the Eagles play at RB. They refuse to pay anyone at the position so its a balancing act of who plays well vs who still has years on a rookie contract. I'm a Scott fan, but man Nick has been talking up Trey Sermon ALL offseason it seems. Will be interesting to see how these RBs play tomorrow.

It might behoove the Giants to claim him because he destroys them every time he plays against them.

It might behoove the Giants to claim him because he destroys them every time he plays against them.
Honestly I wouldn’t be shocked if they did - sometimes things like that stick with a coaching staff and it’s not like they have great depth behind Barkley.

Users who are viewing this thread