What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Twitter (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure where this "Twitter is imploding" talk is coming from. Where is this coming from? Musk literally just bought the company 3 days ago. I'm not seeing anything regarding an "implosion" other than from Musk haters. :shrug:
That’s really most of it — people rooting for Musk to lose. But there is also a real, financial aspect of where the math for Musk/Twitter doesn’t seem to work…..

It’s going to be fascinating to watch how far he goes with allowing people back on the platform and if it results in a mass exodus of the elites that give it perceived clout in the first place, like big celebs, journalists and pundits. And then where do they go? Will a super-woke version replace it, with Twitter relegated to Truth Social/Parler status?

For me, there’s nothing better than Twitter for breaking news, sports content and gossip. It’s a good diversion for 15 or 20 minutes a day, and you get the very latest on stuff happening in real time (NFL trades, the Kanye circus, etc.). To the extent that it becomes a medium for any discourse that really matters, it quickly becomes a cesspool of bs, echo chambers, and amplifying fringe nutjobs. Avoid that nonsense and enjoy it for the hot takes and laughs, and you’ve got something really cool.

Honestly I don't think he'll give any of them their twitters back. I think like like a past guy he just likes making promises he doesn't keep. A neighbor of mine Son worked for Musk at Tesla for a number of yrs. He made a lot of empty promises to employees about better pay and benefits etc etc. Lied to people constantly about promotions and fired people for just asking questions or disagreements. There's also a **** ton of inappropriate behavior the company covered up by Elon. Sooner or later everything will come out. It's not a matter of if but when.
Yep. I was born and raised in Fremont. A lot of people I went to HS with worked at the plant. My one friend was sexually assaulted by a executive. She got about a half million payout to leave and keep it quiet.

Terrible work environment and even a more terrible person. Musk lies cheats and steals. I don't see him lasting long at twitter or if he does what he wants I think he ends up losing money in it more then adding. Something will happen where he has to sell the company.
Greatest entrepreneur since the Vanderbilts and Gettys. Lots of jealousy to go around with regards to a person like that.

I'm not sure where this "Twitter is imploding" talk is coming from. Where is this coming from? Musk literally just bought the company 3 days ago. I'm not seeing anything regarding an "implosion" other than from Musk haters. :shrug:
That’s really most of it — people rooting for Musk to lose. But there is also a real, financial aspect of where the math for Musk/Twitter doesn’t seem to work…..
He gets to control the algorithm now, I think that was his primary motivation.

I'm on Twitter for a side job but haven't been using it much. I used to really get involved with MyFantasyLeague's retweeted questions. I did have a cool interaction with the Indianapolis Colts' Twitter a few years ago.

I was on it yesterday after Kupp tweaked his ankle since he's my WR1 on two of my fantasy teams.

I use Facebook extensively but just can't get into Twitter.

He gets to control the algorithm now, I think that was his primary motivation.
Yeah, no doubt. Seems like he’s had buyers remorse in terms of the value he derives from controlling the algorithm vs the cost of that control……

I think he potentially loses billions on the deal, but he can afford it and people will still worship him. But I think there’s a way to fix the business model, get moderation figured out, and make it a successful acquisition long term. I think they need to start charging a monthly fee for posting privileges, or maybe a per-tweet fee. Something to curb all the bots and ****posters. Give an exemption to anyone with over a million followers. I don’t know. Musk is a genius so surely he’ll figure it out. :rolleyes:

It isn’t, I just wish it would (and take all of SM down with it)

It’s going to be fascinating to watch how far he goes with allowing people back on the platform and if it results in a mass exodus of the elites that give it perceived clout in the first place, like big celebs, journalists and pundits. And then where do they go? Will a super-woke version replace it, with Twitter relegated to Truth Social/Parler status?

For me, there’s nothing better than Twitter for breaking news, sports content and gossip. It’s a good diversion for 15 or 20 minutes a day, and you get the very latest on stuff happening in real time (NFL trades, the Kanye circus, etc.). To the extent that it becomes a medium for any discourse that really matters, it quickly becomes a cesspool of bs, echo chambers, and amplifying fringe nutjobs. Avoid that nonsense and enjoy it for the hot takes and laughs, and you’ve got something really cool.

Honestly I don't think he'll give any of them their twitters back. I think like like a past guy he just likes making promises he doesn't keep. A neighbor of mine Son worked for Musk at Tesla for a number of yrs. He made a lot of empty promises to employees about better pay and benefits etc etc. Lied to people constantly about promotions and fired people for just asking questions or disagreements. There's also a **** ton of inappropriate behavior the company covered up by Elon. Sooner or later everything will come out. It's not a matter of if but when.
Yep. I was born and raised in Fremont. A lot of people I went to HS with worked at the plant. My one friend was sexually assaulted by a executive. She got about a half million payout to leave and keep it quiet.

Terrible work environment and even a more terrible person. Musk lies cheats and steals. I don't see him lasting long at twitter or if he does what he wants I think he ends up losing money in it more then adding. Something will happen where he has to sell the company.
Greatest entrepreneur since the Vanderbilts and Gettys. Lots of jealousy to go around with regards to a person like that.
Yeah I really don’t understand those that wish for him to lose. His accomplishments are almost unfathomably hard to understand. Literally any single one of them could stand on their own as a monumental achievement. The guy has flaws but this achievements are undeniable.

Saw an interview Saturday night.

Guy explains that no/very little moderated sites have or are going bankrupt.

Heavily moderated sites like Twitter and FB make money because the advertisers don't want to be associated with sites that mostly spew hate and conspiracy BS.

He didn't think a whole lot would be changing at Twitter to upset the advertisers.

Yeah I really don’t understand those that wish for him to lose. His accomplishments are almost unfathomably hard to understand. Literally any single one of them could stand on their own as a monumental achievement. The guy has flaws but this achievements are undeniable.

The last thing I want to happen to an entrepreneurial genius is to be further sucked into the world of social media like the rest of us.

I like twitter to follow sports, law and business news. I don't engage with anyone and don't read comments. I haven't noticed any change and don't expect much change (and hope it doesn't change.) I don't think Musk ever said it would be unmoderated or wildly different from what its been. The business/financial aspects of the deal were fascinating to me and while it seems like the economics are upside down, who knows? It could turn out to be another home run for him.

I think he potentially loses billions on the deal, but he can afford it and people will still worship him. But I think there’s a way to fix the business model, get moderation figured out, and make it a successful acquisition long term. I think they need to start charging a monthly fee for posting privileges, or maybe a per-tweet fee. Something to curb all the bots and ****posters. Give an exemption to anyone with over a million followers. I don’t know. Musk is a genius so surely he’ll figure it out. :rolleyes:
But people don’t want to pay a fee. They think it should be free and will gravitate toward a different, free platform instead.

But people don’t want to pay a fee. They think it should be free and will gravitate toward a different, free platform instead.
I think the book Predictably Irrational covers this phenomenon. That it is much harder to go from free to a nominal fee than expected. It's called the zero-price effect. Combining this with the network-effect (ie. The value of social media increases when more people join/post) basically makes it impossible to charge for making social media posts.

I am interested to see how this charging for blue checks work out. I would think if you are going to charge for that, you would start out at a small nominal fee and increase it over time. The price leak might be just a way to normalize it for people. If people are expecting it to be $20, then it makes it look much more attractive when it is released and it costs $5.

Last edited:
with Elon taking over, i probably wont even notice the difference
i follow a few news and travel organizations, some sports and dont engage in any conversations so i dont get sucked into the cesspool that it can be

I like twitter to follow sports, law and business news. I don't engage with anyone and don't read comments. I haven't noticed any change and don't expect much change (and hope it doesn't change.) I don't think Musk ever said it would be unmoderated or wildly different from what its been. The business/financial aspects of the deal were fascinating to me and while it seems like the economics are upside down, who knows? It could turn out to be another home run for him.
Kind of the same for me. However, I have noticed a few things...
  • It feels like I see more posts on my feed from suggested posters rather than people that I actually follow.
  • It's obvious that some people's feeds have been suppressed. Certain posters tweets no longer appear in my timeline.
  • The curated "what's happening" suggested topics usually always sucks and isn't relevant for me.

Kind of the same for me. However, I have noticed a few things...
  • It feels like I see more posts on my feed from suggested posters rather than people that I actually follow.
  • It's obvious that some people's feeds have been suppressed. Certain posters tweets no longer appear in my timeline.
  • The curated "what's happening" suggested topics usually always sucks and isn't relevant for me.
If you are in the app, if you click on the button in the top right (the sparkly star thing), you can change between “home” and “latest tweets”. You may be set to home — change it to latest tweets. That shows latest tweets in your timeline just of people that you follow.

Last edited:

Hey whatever floats your boat. If you like supporting horrible people that are terrible bosses good for you.

I'm on Twitter for a side job but haven't been using it much. I used to really get involved with MyFantasyLeague's retweeted questions. I did have a cool interaction with the Indianapolis Colts' Twitter a few years ago.

I was on it yesterday after Kupp tweaked his ankle since he's my WR1 on two of my fantasy teams.

I use Facebook extensively but just can't get into Twitter.

I use twitter for the sports news and other stuff. I got a couple of contacts on there that I talk to who can't really give me their FB for anonymity and job reasons. I also use that and IG to keep in contact with people from my club for soccer and others around the world we know.

Heavily moderated sites like Twitter and FB make money because the advertisers don't want to be associated with sites that mostly spew hate and conspiracy BS.

He didn't think a whole lot would be changing at Twitter to upset the advertisers.

And here's reason number 1 and biggest one a certain someone and others won't be getting their twitters back.

I think the book Predictably Irrational covers this phenomenon. That it is much harder to go from free to a nominal fee than expected. It's called the zero-price effect. Combining this with the network-effect (ie. The value of social media increases when more people join/post) basically makes it impossible to charge for making social media posts.

I am interested to see how this charging for blue checks work out. I would think if you are going to charge for that, you would start out at a small nominal fee and increase it over time. The price leak might be just a way to normalize it for people. If people are expecting it to be $20, then it makes it look much more attractive when it is released and it costs $5.

The only thing charged on twitter is I believe $2O for to be verified or something

Hey whatever floats your boat. If you like supporting horrible people that are terrible bosses good for you.
No one works for Musk without knowing what his places are like. I work in aerospace and everyone knows what SpaceX is like. You trade a crazy work life for the cache of working there or a great resume filler.

Working for guys like him or Jobs aren't a walk in the park. But there is no way this comes as a surprise - it ends up being a person making a poor choice.

Blue checks will soon cost $20 per month.

Link
My voice is my passport. Verify me.
Matthew Chapman

@fawfulfan
·
20h

Hey
@elonmusk
, I am not paying $240 a year to stay verified. No one will. It's not a status symbol, it's a security feature. Making it a paid service will hurt a ton of journalists and make fake news spread more easily.

-------------------------------

Stephen King

@StephenKing

$20 a month to keep my blue check? **** that, they should pay me. If that gets instituted, I’m gone like Enron.
----

Elon Musk

@elonmusk
·
1h

Replying to
@StephenKing
We need to pay the bills somehow! Twitter cannot rely entirely on advertisers. How about $8?
----

Elon Musk

@elonmusk
·
1h

Replying to
@elonmusk
and
@StephenKing
I will explain the rationale in longer form before this is implemented. It is the only way to defeat the bots & trolls.
-------

King is kind of right. People like him, Adam Schefter, comedians, chicks posting thirst trap photos , etc. are essentially the content creators of the app. Now of course they in return use Twitter’s large audience to advertise their new book, Only Fans page, etc. There is a mutually beneficial relationship right now. it seems just as reasonable for someone like King with 6.9 million followers to ask to be paid for his posts. YouTube pays their content creators. In the end, there is nothing special at all all about the Twitter tech. What makes Twitter is that almost every major journalist, artists celebrity, etc is on there creating content and allowing average people to sort of interact with them.

King is kind of right. People like him, Adam Schefter, comedians, chicks posting thirst trap photos , etc. are essentially the content creators of the app. Now of course they in return use Twitter’s large audience to advertise their new book, Only Fans page, etc. There is a mutually beneficial relationship right now. it seems just as reasonable for someone like King with 6.9 million followers to ask to be paid for his posts. YouTube pays their content creators. In the end, there is nothing special at all all about the Twitter tech. What makes Twitter is that almost every major journalist, artists celebrity, etc is on there creating content and allowing average people to sort of interact with them.
Hard disagree for me. In my experience, I've observed nearly zero correlation between "is verified" and "produces good content." If anything, my guess is that the correlation is a negative one.

Of course, the reason for that is that verification is really just a status symbol. Or, if you're a journalist, it's the internet equivalent of the little "press" tag tucked into your fedora. It doesn't mean anything, and it's certainly not a sign of quality. Some of the non-verified accounts that I think are good happen to be anonymous, but a bunch of them are just random people who either aren't public figures or just never bothered to jump through the hoops for verification.

I can see a good reason for a social media company like Twitter to verify that Dr. So-and-So at Eastern Backwater U is who she says she is, so that she can put her research out there in there in real time to an audience that knows who she is. They can provide that service more or less for free by asking Dr. So-and-So to scan her DL and a copy of her pay stub or something like that. If Twitter is going to give you a boost in the algorithm -- and my understanding is that that's really what the blue check mark is about -- it seems reasonable to charge for that. Or, even better, don't offer that as an option at all, for anybody.

Watching this unfold in real time makes me feel like the little kid in The Emperor's New Clothes.

He's obviously flailing. Didn't really even want to buy, but fronted for the Muskateers right into a legal obligation to do just that; overpaid by a $Bunch; the financing only works with unrealistic assumptions; he appears intent on turning it into even more of a toilet than it was; and is doing his level best to drive away the people who make Twitter worth the hassle.

Watching this unfold in real time makes me feel like the little kid in The Emperor's New Clothes.

He's obviously flailing. Didn't really even want to buy, but fronted for the Muskateers right into a legal obligation to do just that; overpaid by a $Bunch; the financing only works with unrealistic assumptions; he appears intent on turning it into even more of a toilet than it was; and is doing his level best to drive away the people who make Twitter worth the hassle.
Twitter is the best SM and it's not close. Him charging someone to be verified won't change that

Could I pay $20, be verified as a real person and go by a handle very close to Stephen King’s name (or substitute another famous person)? I can see how that could be confusing for users. This is the reason Twitter started the blue check thing to begin with.

Could I pay $20, be verified as a real person and go by a handle very close to Stephen King’s name (or substitute another famous person)? I can see how that could be confusing for users. This is the reason Twitter started the blue check thing to begin with.
I'm assuming that people would still have to show that they are who they say they are to get verified, and that you wouldn't be allowed to just buy a checkmark for your "Stephen King" account. Obviously that would dumb otherwise.

I'm assuming that people would still have to show that they are who they say they are to get verified, and that you wouldn't be allowed to just buy a checkmark for your "Stephen King" account. Obviously that would dumb otherwise.
Musk has mentioned being verified as a real person (by Twitter) but still being able to tweet anonymously. I’m not sure how that would work. I guess they could force me to be “Stephen King fan” instead of “Stephen__King” or something like that. Regardless, though, the blue check has value to users in identifying who a real famous person is. That’s what I use it for.

Hard disagree for me. In my experience, I've observed nearly zero correlation between "is verified" and "produces good content." If anything, my guess is that the correlation is a negative one.
That’s a matter of personal opinion. I don’t agree or disagree. It just kind of depends. Some verified accounts are useless some are the most major drivers of information on the site. It just seems a little suspect to try and charge celebs and content creators money when they tend to be one of the driving forces behind why people join and use Twitter in the first place. Whether you like the content the someone has is almost irrelevant when they have 10 million people following them. That number alone demonstrates their ability to attract users.

Last edited:
That’s a matter of personal opinion. I don’t agree or disagree. It just kind of depends. Some verified accounts are useless some are the most major drivers of information on the site. It just seems a little suspect to try and charge celebs and content creators money when they tend to be one of the driving forces behind why people join and use Twitter in the first place. Whether you like the content the someone has is almost irrelevant when they have 10 million people following them. That number alone demonstrates their ability to attract users.

Agreed, but at the same time there's no doubt the blue check has value to many if not most of the posters who have it. Stephen King might not care and would just walk away since he's made his career and is probably in retirement mode. I have no idea what he posts or how he uses twitter. But even he probably has some interest in Twitter "verifying" him and having an easy way for users to know its not a parody account or an imposter. I think many Twitter stars who use it as a major part of their career or brand would happily pay $240/yr to keep the blue check. For the B-listers, its definitely a status thing.

I do agree the Blue check has little to do with quality, and it strikes me as an odd thing for Musk to target as a revenue source in his first week in charge.

Agreed, but at the same time there's no doubt the blue check has value to many if not most of the posters who have it. Stephen King might not care and would just walk away since he's made his career and is probably in retirement mode. I have no idea what he posts or how he uses twitter. But even he probably has some interest in Twitter "verifying" him and having an easy way for users to know its not a parody account or an imposter. I think many Twitter stars who use it as a major part of their career or brand would happily pay $240/yr to keep the blue check. For the B-listers, its definitely a status thing.

I do agree the Blue check has little to do with quality, and it strikes me as an odd thing for Musk to target as a revenue source in his first week in charge.
Excellent points. The charging does also create this idea of supporting Musk. He’s not the most popular guy on much of blue check Twitter so this adds another odd dimension to it.

This reporter is saying a major ad agency is recommending their clients pause all Twitter ads:

Brands probably also don’t like seeing things like this which is a massive problem for brand safety.

it really depends how valuable people think it is. if twitter is still the most valuable place to be to get messages out, people will pay the $20. some artists bitched and moaned about spotify initially but most ended up coming on there eventually. everyone was freaking out about netflix and its price increases but they have reversed their user losses. if twitter is important enough of a pipeline, people will stay and they will pay.

Of course, the reason for that is that verification is really just a status symbol. Or, if you're a journalist, it's the internet equivalent of the little "press" tag tucked into your fedora. It doesn't mean anything, and it's certainly not a sign of quality. Some of the non-verified accounts that I think are good happen to be anonymous, but a bunch of them are just random people who either aren't public figures or just never bothered to jump through the hoops for verification.

I can see a good reason for a social media company like Twitter to verify that Dr. So-and-So at Eastern Backwater U is who she says she is, so that she can put her research out there in there in real time to an audience that knows who she is. They can provide that service more or less for free by asking Dr. So-and-So to scan her DL and a copy of her pay stub or something like that. If Twitter is going to give you a boost in the algorithm -- and my understanding is that that's really what the blue check mark is about -- it seems reasonable to charge for that. Or, even better, don't offer that as an option at all, for anybody.
That's not how Musk is plugging it as though. He's really saying I know we need to verify everyone regardless of their content as both the content creator and the person consuming benefit from knowing that each other are real. I don't think that's a revolutionary idea (in a paper setting I know something is from the NYTimes and they know they are delivering their paper to a real address).

The rub is that in a non-digital setting the one consuming the verified info is the one paying while here he's trying to get the one producing the content which is something. Maybe its worth it if it getting verified helps extend your reach (ie as a marketing expense), but again the real value in that is for the content creator to know they are distributing to a real (ie verified) user and how many of us will pay $8 a month to use Twitter. My guess is not many when there are other free options (Discord, Twitch, YouTube, etc.). The current corollary for something like this working is LinkedIn where the power users do pay and it's important to be verified, but that's also a specific use case. Maybe the "news" use case works as well, but that remains to be seen for a product that most people view as a "fun" App versus an integral business tool.

If that is true, then it is remarkable that a huge chunk of legacy media is still running

That's not how Musk is plugging it as though. He's really saying I know we need to verify everyone regardless of their content as both the content creator and the person consuming benefit from knowing that each other are real. I don't think that's a revolutionary idea (in a paper setting I know something is from the NYTimes and they know they are delivering their paper to a real address).

The rub is that in a non-digital setting the one consuming the verified info is the one paying while here he's trying to get the one producing the content which is something. Maybe its worth it if it getting verified helps extend your reach (ie as a marketing expense), but again the real value in that is for the content creator to know they are distributing to a real (ie verified) user and how many of us will pay $8 a month to use Twitter. My guess is not many when there are other free options (Discord, Twitch, YouTube, etc.). The current corollary for something like this working is LinkedIn where the power users do pay and it's important to be verified, but that's also a specific use case. Maybe the "news" use case works as well, but that remains to be seen for a product that most people view as a "fun" App versus an integral business tool.
Oh, I see. My Twitter experience is read-only, and I definitely won't pay for that service. I like Twitter, but I would dump it in a heartbeat for a free alternative if they started charging users. Nobody needs to know who I am for me to read their tweets. Except in the case of breaking news, I don't really care about the identity of the person posting their takes either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread