What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can we discuss pet peeves here? (5 Viewers)

I am about to go to 2 hours straight of meetings, probably could do a separate post on that :lol: , so this will be my last post where i hijack this thread.

The report cites separate data published this May which revealed that the amount of plastic actually turned into new things has fallen to new lows of around 5%. That number is expected to drop further as more plastic is produced.

A new pet peeve of mine at the grocery stores is based around employees restocking shelves. They seem to be doing it more and more during peak shopping times ,and when they do, they take up way too much space, even blocking the aisle completely at times. I don't now how many times a day restocks are needed, but surely they can schedule a lot of these around non-peak shopping times. It would be less annoying for them too since there would be less people politely asking them to move out of the way so we can do our shopping.

YES! When did they start doing this during peak hours? I was always under the impression this was done late at night/early morning....

Another wretched addition to super markets (at least the ones I use) are the online shopping orders - the folks wrangling the groceries are always clogging up the aisles. It's like they don't know where items are located and just let their massive trollies linger as they search for that item. It's infuriating.
This times a bazillion. They push these huge six foot tall carts around, leave them in the middle of the aisles, and could not care less that they are doing so. I almost believe they are coached to do this with the goal of annoying people to the point they no longer come in to the store and will switch to delivery so they can make more from delivery fees. Kind of like airlines with baggage fees.

Movie/TV trope...

Load a handgun magazine, put magazine into gun and rack a round - so now you're short a round. Put one in the chamber and THEN load the magazine.

Same thing with shotguns.

People who have never opened a rulebook believing they are better officials than those on a professional field.
I will also go opposite. I shouldn't know more rules than the official!!!

I get there are some sticky situations that umpires/officials would have to talk over, etc but I shouldn't know more than you

A new pet peeve of mine at the grocery stores is based around employees restocking shelves. They seem to be doing it more and more during peak shopping times ,and when they do, they take up way too much space, even blocking the aisle completely at times. I don't now how many times a day restocks are needed, but surely they can schedule a lot of these around non-peak shopping times. It would be less annoying for them too since there would be less people politely asking them to move out of the way so we can do our shopping.

YES! When did they start doing this during peak hours? I was always under the impression this was done late at night/early morning....

Another wretched addition to super markets (at least the ones I use) are the online shopping orders - the folks wrangling the groceries are always clogging up the aisles. It's like they don't know where items are located and just let their massive trollies linger as they search for that item. It's infuriating.
This times a bazillion. They push these huge six foot tall carts around, leave them in the middle of the aisles, and could not care less that they are doing so. I almost believe they are coached to do this with the goal of annoying people to the point they no longer come in to the store and will switch to delivery so they can make more from delivery fees. Kind of like airlines with baggage fees.
Yup this is the Target that I shop at. My wife thinks I'm crazy for doing the majority of our grocery shopping there. It's the restocking folks and the online shopping fulfillment folks. I realize times have changed but it's still annoying.

People who have never opened a rulebook believing they are better officials than those on a professional field.

I get there are some sticky situations that umpires/officials would have to talk over, etc but I shouldn't know more than you
You probably do not.

My unsubstantiated theory is, this came about when employees gained more control ($15 per hour, staff shortages, etc) Businesses can hardly fill their payrolls with staff, let alone "off hours". At this point, many places take what they can get.

You probably do not.
Lol.... I have read baseball rulebooks from cover to cover. My grandfather and then father was in charge of all umpiring in our area for like 50 years. They made sure I knew the rules lol I have combed through his knotty problems books

I have managed I can't tell you how many baseball/softball games. So yes I can confidently say I have been involved in games where I knew the rule better than the umpire

*I did hang them up a couple years ago so sure I'll be rusty but it definitely happened ;)

You probably do not.
Lol.... I have read baseball rulebooks from cover to cover. My grandfather and then father was in charge of all umpiring in our area for like 50 years. They made sure I knew the rules lol I have combed through his knotty problems books

I have managed I can't tell you how many baseball/softball games. So yes I can confidently say I have been involved in games where I knew the rule better than the umpire

*I did hang them up a couple years ago so sure I'll be rusty but it definitely happened ;)
Well then, you are not a person whom never opened a rulebook.

You probably do not.

Well then, you are not a person whom never opened a rulebook.
I'm confused. I agreed with you but my other pet peeve is also the opposite. Umpires/officials not understanding the rules as much as coaches. That's all I was saying :shrug:

You probably do not.

Knowing more than your local little league umpire is different than the OP talking about knowing more than professional officials

WHEN THERE ARE ONLY 2 GAS PUMPS - SO 4 CARS TOTAL BUT THERE ARE ~20 OPEN PARKING SPOTS WAIT UNTIL YOUR GAS IS PUMPED THEN GO PARK AND GO IN THE FREAKING STORE.

NO YOU JACKHOLES GO INSIDE USE UP 2 PUMPS WIHT YOUR EMPTY CARS AND NOW PEOPLE HAVE TO WAIT TO GET TO THE PUMP#$@@Q#R@Q#$QWREWREWERQWQ$
What if they are paying cash?

WHEN THERE ARE ONLY 2 GAS PUMPS - SO 4 CARS TOTAL BUT THERE ARE ~20 OPEN PARKING SPOTS WAIT UNTIL YOUR GAS IS PUMPED THEN GO PARK AND GO IN THE FREAKING STORE.

NO YOU JACKHOLES GO INSIDE USE UP 2 PUMPS WIHT YOUR EMPTY CARS AND NOW PEOPLE HAVE TO WAIT TO GET TO THE PUMP#$@@Q#R@Q#$QWREWREWERQWQ$
Somewhat fair point BUT

PLOT TWIST - ITS NJ you pay the guy pumping your gas..... those 2 dilholes didn't come out the entire time - I waited - filled my tank and left

People still do this?
Not I, but I am sure there are some.

Do you have any taste for dinner tonight"?
Wth is that ?

I dunno, my wife often asks me "if I have a taste for anything for dinner tonight". Just thought it was some weird Michigan thing.
Decidedly not a Michigan thing. Never heard it before.

Maybe she's just a weirdo. She did marry me.
Well that does add up.

Speaking of gas station scenarios...

That ad where the attendant makes the guy pump gas into his hybrid so he can use the squeegee. This attendant's position doesn't exist in reality. The only states that have an attendant at the pumps are NJ and Oregon, where by law you're not allowed to pump your own gas. In the other 48 states where you can, they don't have an attendant at the pumps, and if they did, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't care about your squeegee use. Infuriating. And that's before even taking to account how annoying the dialogue in that ad is. Clearly the ad was devised by hipsters living in cities who don't have cars and never go to gas stations.

People who pay cash for gas
Yet another reason to go to Sam's/Costco... they don't take cash for gas
Not a pet peeve but people’s strategies to getting gas at Costco are almost interesting as the people watching at Wal Mart.

The waiter- the person that waits for both cars to finish pumping and then pulling to the front pump

The I don’t care which side the tank is on but the hose will reach even if I am 4 feet from the pump. Spoiler the pump hose won’t reach.

The same person as above but is not strong enough to pull the pump down and across to reach the gas tank on the far side

The pull in fronter- front car is done pumping I’m pulling around car 2 and backing into pump one. Hope I don’t hit anybody squeezing through

Less common but put the car in neutral while I wait and not realize I’m rolling until 4 honks later

Not a pet peeve but people’s strategies to getting gas at Costco are almost interesting as the people watching at Wal Mart.

The waiter- the person that waits for both cars to finish pumping and then pulling to the front pump

The I don’t care which side the tank is on but the hose will reach even if I am 4 feet from the pump. Spoiler the pump hose won’t reach.

The same person as above but is not strong enough to pull the pump down and across to reach the gas tank on the far side

The pull in fronter- front car is done pumping I’m pulling around car 2 and backing into pump one. Hope I don’t hit anybody squeezing through

Less common but put the car in neutral while I wait and not realize I’m rolling until 4 honks later
Sam's/Costco is the one type of gas station where I'm glad NJ doesn't allow self-serve gas.

The lines for gas at Costco keep me away. I'm not waiting 25 minutes in line to save $3 total. People that do puzzle me.
Yeah. Sam’s Club gas station is a parking lot all open hours. We stopped going there years ago and now hit a nice Wawa just down the street with moderate traffic any time.

Reading all this and so glad I live in Oregon where I don't have to pump my own gas. We have commoners to help with that.

The line to get gas at Fred Meyer is always 7-10 cars deep. Gas is like 15 cents a gallon more next door at the Shell Station, no line AND I just give them my Fred Meyer number to deduct the cost off the gallon. Time is money, people.

Reading all this and so glad I live in Oregon where I don't have to pump my own gas. We have commoners to help with that.

The line to get gas at Fred Meyer is always 7-10 cars deep. Gas is like 15 cents a gallon more next door at the Shell Station, no line AND I just give them my Fred Meyer number to deduct the cost off the gallon. Time is money, people.

Yeah I've never had to wait at any Shell or Chevron around here. I'm also puzzled by people who drive further to save a few cents on gas. Do the math people.

Our Costco has the extended hoses. They even tell you to choose any line. I love skipping 5 cars because they think they need to be on the "left side" pump

Our Costco has the extended hoses. They even tell you to choose any line. I love skipping 5 cars because they think they need to be on the "left side" pump
Hopefully those will be nationwide. Usually i see someone in a dually pick up or someone with an suv 3 or more feet away from the pump that struggle

Hotels with slow WiFi. It's 2023. There is no reason why any hotel that is part of a major chain should have bandwidth speeds that are less than 5 megabits per second. Its a basic utility like water or electricity now. I travel frequently and it's shocking how many business traveler focused hotels have trash internet service providers where you can't get work done.

Even more annoying are businesses and other spaces where cellular service isn't available. Not talking about in remote wilderness, but in heavily developed suburban areas and cities.

Specifically bothered by the judges in the NBA dunk content giving perfect scores to pretty good dunks with other competitors left to go.

General peeve is judges giving mathematically indefensible scores. Unless it's the last competitor, there always needs to be room for something better.

Hotels with slow WiFi. It's 2023. There is no reason why any hotel that is part of a major chain should have bandwidth speeds that are less than 5 megabits per second. Its a basic utility like water or electricity now. I travel frequently and it's shocking how many business traveler focused hotels have trash internet service providers where you can't get work done.
Several years ago I had an interview for an academic job with some folks in UAE. I was on vacation in Tampa with family, and the interview was at like 4 AM Tampa time. Hopped on a video call and as you alluded to, the internet speeds were so ridiculously bad, that we had to go to an audio only interview, and even that was laggy. I dind't get offered the job. Stupid hotel

Users who are viewing this thread