What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (20 Viewers)

I've rotated mostly to safety in value / blue chip names but still want to have a chunk in riskier companies. UPST and SHOP are two of those. As for UPST, I've bought three times on dips so now hold 300 hares. Just bought that last third yesterday at the close. After the prior two purchases and after any meaningful pop, I've been selling covered calls to recoup some principal and lower my cost basis. The premiums are high and with volatility, it's just a matter of time before 10% of your outlay can be recovered with an out-of-the money call. Buy them back on a pullback and, in the case of a real decline like yesterday, buy more shares. That's all in response to the recent posts about UPST. One could also trade it--mine is more of an accumulation situation.

I've treated SHOP similarly but there was a hefty pop about a month ago so 100 shares got called away. I like SHOP better that UPST as a safer play and yet also with elevated premiums. So I like selling covered calls but do not want all of my shares to be taken. Have 100 left that are uncovered but will probably sell a call against them if the share price approaches 50 again.

Maybe a buy for a lottery ticket.

Currently 40 cents

Tried to get in on this at 0.42, but some reason my funds from last week still aren't available. Missed out on 185% uptick so far today.

Maybe a buy for a lottery ticket.

Currently 40 cents

Tried to get in on this at 0.42, but some reason my funds from last week still aren't available. Missed out on 185% uptick so far today.
oh dang. I totally forgot this AM too :mad:

BBBY is in play. A merger/acquisition could be announced as early as tonight after the market closes.
Is plunging over 20+% in the last hour after reminding everyone they don't have enough money to pay off debts, got a default notice from Chase, and once again pretty much told everyone they'll be filing for bankruptcy.
You have to look deeper. They are not going bankrupt. But according to the media, this one is a goner...LMAO. Stock investing never has been easier than it is today. Just do the opposite of the corrupt financial media and win at every turn. BTW, it would have been insider trading to pay off the RSUs and RSAs yesterday for unvested stock if this stock was actually going bankrupt. Nor would BBBY have made their 2034 and 2044 coupon payments 2 days ahead of schedule if bankruptcy was on the table.

Easy money.
$BBBY, whose financial difficulties are just invented lies from the corrupt media who continue to report on the company’s filings by reading them, proposed a reverse stock split. Shares are down pre-market, trading under $0.90 as I type this. Obviously just a coiled spring.
Closed at .81

thinking of buying
If you liked it at .81, you’ll love it at .52. Another stock sale for this comeback kid.

BBBY is in play. A merger/acquisition could be announced as early as tonight after the market closes.
Is plunging over 20+% in the last hour after reminding everyone they don't have enough money to pay off debts, got a default notice from Chase, and once again pretty much told everyone they'll be filing for bankruptcy.
You have to look deeper. They are not going bankrupt. But according to the media, this one is a goner...LMAO. Stock investing never has been easier than it is today. Just do the opposite of the corrupt financial media and win at every turn. BTW, it would have been insider trading to pay off the RSUs and RSAs yesterday for unvested stock if this stock was actually going bankrupt. Nor would BBBY have made their 2034 and 2044 coupon payments 2 days ahead of schedule if bankruptcy was on the table.

Easy money.
$BBBY, whose financial difficulties are just invented lies from the corrupt media who continue to report on the company’s filings by reading them, proposed a reverse stock split. Shares are down pre-market, trading under $0.90 as I type this. Obviously just a coiled spring.
Closed at .81

thinking of buying
If you liked it at .81, you’ll love it at .52. Another stock sale for this comeback kid.

Everyone knows with these stonks you've gotta wait until they stick a Q on the end. That's when they really run.

Hoo boy. My FANG is exploding this morning, as is every other oil stock. The US ceding market dominance to OPEC is showing itself in the markets today. While it makes for a nice bump in part of the portfolio this makes me pretty bearish in the medium term and it will stoke inflation.

I don't get this move. Oil up on supply issues can't help inflation. One thing that hade semi bullish was eyes on 50-60 dollar oil.

Hoo boy. My FANG is exploding this morning, as is every other oil stock. The US ceding market dominance to OPEC is showing itself in the markets today. While it makes for a nice bump in part of the portfolio this makes me pretty bearish in the medium term and it will stoke inflation.
When did it explode? I’ve been red across the board all morning.

FANG the stock ticker (Diamondback energy), not FAANG the acronym for tech stocks.

FANG the stock ticker (Diamondback energy), not FAANG the acronym for tech stocks.
:bag:

Being overweight energy in my Roth isn't going well today.....

Bought some PHYS today, picked up some GLD in another account a couple of weeks ago.

Agree this isn't likely to be bullish across equities as it would seem to directly add fuel to the inflation fire. But my Roth is enjoying this spike today across OKE, XOM, OXY, PEO, HESM

Oil staying high is one of the (several) reasons I think inflation and high rates are going to be a lot stickier than people keep projecting.

Oil companies seem to have figured out that they can maximize short term profits with limited supply (and high prices) without damaging their long term outlook nearly as much as they'd previously feared. Because these days, when oil prices get high everyone runs to blame everyone for it EXCEPT the oil companies, and just spends all their time arguing about it rather than moving to any alternatives. They used to worry that high prices would drive people to alternative energy but I think they've realized the alternative energy movement will keep going along the same plodding pace without any impact from the price of oil.

In 2008 when oil prices got high everyone started rushing out and buying hybrids and oil companies got spooked. But this time around when oil prices are even higher the worst anyone is doing is complaining about it on facebook while they rush out to buy their new gas guzzling truck or oversized SUV.

I think there are several industries that have capitalized on this, and are able to keep higher prices than they really need to because everyone is so quick to argue about everything else that impacts those prices as the industry just keeps raising profit margins while no one bothers to notice.

Is this like "throwing my 7 iron into the lake" from the OG thread? :oldunsure:

When stocks move up on news of job cuts.....what do you think is coming down the pike? Lower earnings.

The higher this goes over the next month or 2....the bigger buffer we can have for the inevitable pull back coming this summer. Oh yes.....it’s coming. Make no mistake. This irrational thought of a Fed pivot this year is really going to backfire.

Build cash......keep building cash. Opportunity for a cheaper entry point will happen again.

Don't get me wrong...I am enjoying the rally. I mean I never ever wish the market ill will. But I know better. This is a classic bear market head fake rally and buliding cash in 4% plus money market accounts and selling covered calls is the best play right now.

Sit tight. We will have a sale soon.

And those 4.5% 2 Year T-Notes we picked up late last year below par look even better now.....that 2 year yield just went below 4%. 3.85% as of this post.

Bonds at the 7-10 year duration range to me are the biggest value in the fixed income market. That goes for both high quality Muni and Corporates. And High Yield Munis.

Easy money.
Closed at .81

thinking of buying
At $,35 now. woot. Still thinking ahahahhahah

Brian Belski from BMO is a sharp guy. I had a chance to pick his brain a lot back in 2009-2011 when he was with Oppenheimer & Co as their lead Market Strategist. We think a lot alike on many areas of the stock market.

One of the few guys I listen to when they speak.

Brian Belski from BMO is a sharp guy. I had a chance to pick his brain a lot back in 2009-2011 when he was with Oppenheimer & Co as their lead Market Strategist. We think a lot alike on many areas of the stock market.

One of the few guys I listen to when they speak.
Agreed. I met him when he came to my office and spoke when I worked at Merrill Lynch. Smart guy.

Whatever Josh Brown says on CNBC......simply do the exact opposite.

Trust me.

Scott Wapner is a tool. Maybe the worst host I have ever seen on CNBC........a pure moron.
Agree on both. Awful. I like to have CNBC on in the background so I can look at the ticker, but I usually mute it when Wapner is on.

There are a couple who are decent. I can't remember who but last week there was a politician grandstanding about the bank failures claiming they loaded up on risk to maximize profits. After they played the segment the host was like: The banks bought US treasuries. Yeah, that is a good point. US treasuries.

I like Mohamed El-Erian. Jeremy Siegel is a clown.
I am going to disagree with you on Dr Siegel. He may come across as kooky.......but this is a brilliant....I mean really brilliant man. When he speaks.......I listen closely. He is not always right....no one ever is. But man this guy get’s it.

El-Erian is decent and sometimes really good. But he also like everyone else has made some bad calls. It’s a tough racket lol.

Art Cashman is a gentleman of Wall Street and old school NYSE floor traders. This guy has a ton of wisdom and he is one of the gems on CNBC. He is really getting up there these days.....but he is still sharp as a tac. He has a great instinct and pulse that only comes from wisdom and street smarts and how the markets ebb and flow.

As far as host personalities I like Mike Santelli a lot. The guys is calm and rational. He get’s it. He is probably the one I respect the most.

Also David Faber is in that same ilk. Just a facts guy. The fact he has to deal with Kramer an hour a day....God bless that man.

Joe Kernen is a dumb ***.....utter dumb ***. FYI he flunked out of the Merrell Lynch training program.

Andrew Ross Sorkin is a sharp dude....but he let’s his politics color his lens of markets too much....same for Kernen (especially Kernen)

Carl Quintanilla is great. Very to the point, calm, cool and even keeled.

Becky is a doll. She simply is pleasure to listen to most of the time. No complaints. A pure host. And Warren Buffet seems to like her.....a lot (you dirty old man).

The women of CNBC:

Amamda Drury - So nice to look at.

Melissa Lee - if you listened to her.....you never owned Apple and lost a ton of money......she is awful.

Kelly Evans is a doll.

Kate Rogers is pleasant.

Kayla Tausche also....simply delightful.

And I really like Sara Eisen.

There are several more ladies of CNBC that are competent. In fact there are far more competent women on CNBC then men.....by a landslide.

Last edited:
Odd day. Cooler than expected inflation data (only by a smidge) sends stonks north, then they give up gains and close red.

The Buffet interview this morning on CNBC was awesome. Kudos to Becky Quick, she’s a great interviewer.

My gain in WPC is about gone but it’s been a good yield over the years, thoughts on get money out now and put in money market with similar yield or keep in long term as WPC down a bit?

As a gigantic fat guy who is too poor to buy the obesity drugs the Kardashian's use, I'm more than a little intrigued by WW (Weight Watchers). Stock has been languishing and the business seems like a dinosaur, but.....they have a HUGE rolodex of members past and present and just bought a telehealth company that prescribes Ozempic prescriptions. They may have lost the customer base that needed support groups, calorie counting books but lacked discipline to stick with it and picked up a whole lotta lazy pigs like me who would prefer to drop weight the new fashioned way - modern medicine!

I don't like chasing a stock that's up 75% in a few days time, but at $7.28/share this might not be a bad way to play the obesity craze (as opposed to buying Novo Nordisk which trademarked Ozempic and Wegovy).

As a gigantic fat guy who is too poor to buy the obesity drugs the Kardashian's use, I'm more than a little intrigued by WW (Weight Watchers). Stock has been languishing and the business seems like a dinosaur, but.....they have a HUGE rolodex of members past and present and just bought a telehealth company that prescribes Ozempic prescriptions. They may have lost the customer base that needed support groups, calorie counting books but lacked discipline to stick with it and picked up a whole lotta lazy pigs like me who would prefer to drop weight the new fashioned way - modern medicine!

I don't like chasing a stock that's up 75% in a few days time, but at $7.28/share this might not be a bad way to play the obesity craze (as opposed to buying Novo Nordisk which trademarked Ozempic and Wegovy).

WW +7% today in a sea of bright red.....

:coffee:

What are some popular dividend ETFs you retired guys are sitting on? Looking more for income over growth.

Think I remember a few of you talking about Vanguard High Dividend Yield ETF (VYM).

Last edited:
What are some popular dividend ETFs you retired guys are sitting on? Looking more for income over growth.

Think I remember a few of you talking about Vanguard High Dividend Yield ETF (VYM).
SCHD is what one of my friends was high on, I haven't checked it out yet.

Edit- he was doing DRIP with it.

Check out DIAX/QQQX/JEPI/BXMX

All overwrite index strategies that pay outstanding yields. This is a equity hedge in that your getting high current income (do not reinvest these…let the dividend pay to cash) while owning the respective index’s (S&P 500, Dow 30 and Nasdaq 100) JEPI is a large value portfolio that they write covered calls on. These are 30 day or less expirations on all the positions in the porfolio.

So if your building a current income portfolio I would put no more than 20% total in these strategies (5% into each closed end fund) in combination with a diversified income producing portfolio.

JEPI is super solid. I’ve owned it for a few years - ranges from 8-12% yield. I’ve also seen Totem recommend it in here. It’s actively managed, and they write covered calls as well.

(do not reinvest these…let the dividend pay to cash)
The OP was looking for income, of course. If I were looking for somewhere to park the 6% of my IRA that's currently in cash, would that make reinvesting the dividends more sensible? Or perhaps cash is still king?

(do not reinvest these…let the dividend pay to cash)
The OP was looking for income, of course. If I were looking for somewhere to park the 6% of my IRA that's currently in cash, would that make reinvesting the dividends more sensible? Or perhaps cash is still king?
These strategies don’t really reward dividend reinvesting instead let those dividends build cash and reinvest them in other positions if you don’t “need” the cash for current income.

Users who are viewing this thread