What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Top 101 Movies of the 80s (1 Viewer)

A Soldier's Story: is to me for the 80s as Glengarry is to me for the 90s ... the best drama of the decade - dunno how this escapes a top 10, let alone a top 100.

Pope of Greenwich Village: wherein Rourke & Roberts looked prime to dominate the decade ... i lived 'round there at this time, and the flick strikes true to the era/atmosphere - not as gritty as Mean Streets or Brasco, but it captured the knock around loser life perfectly ... we all knew characters like Paulie and Charlie irl.
Agreed. Two great films.

It's a fun list and appreciate the effort it took to put together but here are some additional recommendations for the adventurous.

Platoon
Body Heat
Das Boot
Road Warrior
Drugstore Cowboy
Gandhi
9 1/2 Weeks
Glory
Once Upon a Time in America

Platoon isn't on this list? WTF?

I’ve never seen this, i probably should
A Soldier's Story: is to me for the 80s as Glengarry is to me for the 90s ... the best drama of the decade - dunno how this escapes a top 10, let alone a top 100.

Pope of Greenwich Village: wherein Rourke & Roberts looked prime to dominate the decade ... i lived 'round there at this time, and the flick strikes true to the era/atmosphere - not as gritty as Mean Streets or Brasco, but it captured the knock around loser life perfectly ... we all knew characters like Paulie and Charlie irl.
Agreed. Two great films.

It's a fun list and appreciate the effort it took to put together but here are some additional recommendations for the adventurous.

Platoon
Body Heat
Das Boot
Road Warrior
Drugstore Cowboy
Gandhi
9 1/2 Weeks
Glory

Never seen it, I probably should

I mean....it won 4 Academy Awards including Best Picture. Charlie Sheen, Willem Dafoe, Tom Berenger, Kevin Dillon, Johnny Depp, Forest Whitaker and on and on. It's worth your time, but seeing it on the big screen as an 8th grader made a lasting impact for me so I'm probably biased.

Am I the only Footballguy that loved the movie Parenthood? 1989? It holds up when showing it to my kids. Great songs. Great acting. Great story. :shrug:

On top of that, basketball is one of my least favorites. So I will gravitate to a baseball, hockey, football or martial arts movie first typically.
So I assume we won’t be seeing The Fish That Saved Pittsburgh when you do the ‘70s.
Oh, you think we are going to do a 70s one?

Yeah, we were already talking about it. I wrote down 20-30 movies this morning I'd like to get to for that one.

Agreed. Two great films.

Platoon
Body Heat
Das Boot
Road Warrior
Drugstore Cowboy
Gandhi
9 1/2 Weeks
Glory

Agreed. Two great films.

Platoon
Body Heat
Das Boot
Road Warrior
Drugstore Cowboy
Gandhi
9 1/2 Weeks
Glory

I mean....it won 4 Academy Awards including Best Picture. Charlie Sheen, Willem Dafoe, Tom Berenger, Kevin Dillon, Johnny Depp, Forest Whitaker and on and on. It's worth your time, but seeing it on the big screen as an 8th grader made a lasting impact for me so I'm probably biased.

Am I the only Footballguy that loved the movie Parenthood? 1989? It holds up when showing it to my kids. Great songs. Great acting. Great story. :shrug:
No, that was a whiff on my part and was a late sub in my top 100 after the countdown started.

As far as Platoon, IMO it's a bit uneven and I just don't like a ton of Stone's movies.

Agreed. Two great films.

Platoon
Body Heat
Das Boot
Road Warrior
Drugstore Cowboy
Gandhi
9 1/2 Weeks
Glory

Agreed. Two great films.

Platoon
Body Heat
Das Boot
Road Warrior
Drugstore Cowboy
Gandhi
9 1/2 Weeks
Glory

I'm in agreement. My comment was a favorite quote from the movie.

Agreed. Two great films.

Platoon
Body Heat
Das Boot
Road Warrior
Drugstore Cowboy
Gandhi
9 1/2 Weeks
Glory

Agreed. Two great films.

Platoon
Body Heat
Das Boot
Road Warrior
Drugstore Cowboy
Gandhi
9 1/2 Weeks
Glory

No, that was a whiff on my part and was a late sub in my top 100 after the countdown started.

As far as Platoon, IMO it's a bit uneven and I just don't like a ton of Stone's movies.

I don't like a ton of Stone's movies either and think he's rather full of himself, but even with imperfections, Platoon was a sensational movie that showed the true horror of a war that never should have been waged by the US. I like it far more than Full Metal Jacket which is really 2 different movies, IMO. The first half in boot camp is outstanding. The second act in Vietnam is not and if we're using 'uneven' as a criticism, how do you account for Part II of FMJ?

Agreed. Two great films.

Platoon
Body Heat
Das Boot
Road Warrior
Drugstore Cowboy
Gandhi
9 1/2 Weeks
Glory

Agreed. Two great films.

Platoon
Body Heat
Das Boot
Road Warrior
Drugstore Cowboy
Gandhi
9 1/2 Weeks
Glory

Well, like I said - it won 4 Academy Awards for a reason. I'll leave it at that.

Reactions: JAA
#1: BACK TO THE FUTURE [peacock]

My #1 and 80s' #4. Forget the decade, this has been my favorite movie period since the day in '85 I saw it in the theater. Instant love, and it's the main reason I have been obsessed with movies since. It's always the first movie I get when I upgrade formats. I don't think it's an underestimation to say I've seen the movie 500+ times. It didn't hurt that it was my first "date", it had my favorite musician on the soundtrack and in it (I had gerbils named Heuy and Lewis :lol: ), and fed into my obsession with time travel.
Can we talk a little about what made the movie #1? Actors, plot, originality, FX? I mean, it was a great movie and I have it #9, but I would then have 8 movies better than it.

My guy tells me you have it so high based on association. Nothing wrong with that of course, just curious if there was more.
Sure, I already listed a lot of the reasons in that post.

But as far as an 80s popcorn flick, I think the script is very underrated and they get a lot of details right. This only adds to rewatches. Things like the name of the mall changing, the stone on the clocktower being missing in the 2nd version of Hill Valley, things like that. Another element that vaults it is the whole "parents are humans too" theme and just the thought and discussions a movie like this generated. Most 80s movies have the adults absent or the villains, this one decided to make them human and make us want to think about what our parents were like at our ages.

• Thanks

Agreed. Two great films.

Platoon
Body Heat
Das Boot
Road Warrior
Drugstore Cowboy
Gandhi
9 1/2 Weeks
Glory

Agreed. Two great films.

Platoon
Body Heat
Das Boot
Road Warrior
Drugstore Cowboy
Gandhi
9 1/2 Weeks
Glory

I don't like a ton of Stone's movies either and think he's rather full of himself, but even with imperfections, Platoon was a sensational movie that showed the true horror of a war that never should have been waged by the US. I like it far more than Full Metal Jacket which is really 2 different movies, IMO. The first half in boot camp is outstanding. The second act in Vietnam is not and if we're using 'uneven' as a criticism, how do you account for Part II of FMJ?
I would agree that the tone shifts, but I don't think the two halves make it uneven. Both halves have to do with horrors of war of a sort. I find the female sniper they kill, Animal Mother, crazy gunner mowing down people in the rice patties, etc. to be every bit as well shot and haunting as the things we get in the first half. I also find it every bit as well acted, shot, and written through the whole movie.

I guess when I say uneven, I mean i think there are moments of brilliance, but sometimes I'm bored or sometimes don't think the acting works - things like that.

No “Hoosiers”. :kicksrock:
Just watched it this past weekend…..seriously….one of the best sports movies…..ever.
I grew up in southern Indiana and is top of my list of all-time for sentimental reasons.

Was late to the thread and just reading through. Fun list and right in the wheel house for many here!

Great job @KarmaPolice and team!

The Right Stuff and Raiders way too low!!

Platoon was a sensational movie that showed the true horror of a war that never should have been waged by the US.

When it comes from a guy who bootlicked Hugo Chavez, you have to reassess the movie's political aims and claims. Only natural it gets left out.

Was he bootlicking Chavez when he released the movie in '86? Should I no longer enjoy Rosemary's Baby or Annie Hall because the filmmakers are creeps? I'm trying to understand here and sometimes I'm a step slow to your lines of thinking.

Agreed. Two great films.

Platoon
Body Heat
Das Boot
Road Warrior
Drugstore Cowboy
Gandhi
9 1/2 Weeks
Glory

Agreed. Two great films.

Platoon
Body Heat
Das Boot
Road Warrior
Drugstore Cowboy
Gandhi
9 1/2 Weeks
Glory

I would agree that the tone shifts, but I don't think the two halves make it uneven. Both halves have to do with horrors of war of a sort. I find the female sniper they kill, Animal Mother, crazy gunner mowing down people in the rice patties, etc. to be every bit as well shot and haunting as the things we get in the first half. I also find it every bit as well acted, shot, and written through the whole movie.

I guess when I say uneven, I mean i think there are moments of brilliance, but sometimes I'm bored or sometimes don't think the acting works - things like that.

Right, the first act of FMJ I am on the edge of my seat and have re-watched it countless times. The 2nd act? Not so much and have stopped there on re-watches.

Platoon? Riveted from start to finish. Every time.

Was he bootlicking Chavez when he released the movie in '86? Should I no longer enjoy Rosemary's Baby or Annie Hall because the filmmakers are creeps? I'm trying to understand here and sometimes I'm a step slow to your lines of thinking.

You can very well go back and reassess Rosemary's Baby or Annie Hall. If you're trying to get into the spirit of what the writer/director is trying to say on a philosophical or personal level, all new evidence is allowed. What you do with that evidence is up to you. You can still enjoy it, GM. I'm talking personally. I personally re-adjust my priors when new evidence about the creative force comes to light. I can barely listen to Michael Jackson (unless it's Off The Wall -- it's quite clear he was signing about adults and disco on that).

I happen to think Platoon is a fine movie, bordering on excellent and other accolades such as that, but I have real questions about the political philosophy behind it. The impetus for making the film, that is. I'm just not sure I trust where the director is coming from or what point he's trying to make and why. Now, it happens that I can personally separate Platoon out from both its politics and its impetus and see that it is a really emotional, great war film, but I can see where others might not. I also happen, at this stage of my life, to disagree with the Vietnam war, but my politics are colored by more temperance about the sentiment than others hold. It was a really difficult time, and I think the domino theory was a very real, viable thought that imperfect people used in an imperfect time to guide then.

And it's moot because it doesn't sound like what KP or ilov80s were doing at all. I can speak only for myself.

Last edited:

Agreed. Two great films.

Platoon
Body Heat
Das Boot
Road Warrior
Drugstore Cowboy
Gandhi
9 1/2 Weeks
Glory

Agreed. Two great films.

Platoon
Body Heat
Das Boot
Road Warrior
Drugstore Cowboy
Gandhi
9 1/2 Weeks
Glory

Right, the first act of FMJ I am on the edge of my seat and have re-watched it countless times. The 2nd act? Not so much and have stopped there on re-watches.

Platoon? Riveted from start to finish. Every time.
It's hard to top Ermey, I can admit that. The fact that I love the 2nd half almost as much is the reason for my ranking and I have it higher than most people I know. Most I would guess agree with you. They are in completely different situations, so having Ermey's level of intensity wouldn't make sense. But IMO where both halves, and Kubrick in general, excel is the dark humor that is going on around horrible situations. I find the 2nd half just as funny, quotable, and horrific as the boot camp portion.

Interesting list, my top five would be Airplane, Die Hard, The Running Man then Scarface and Raging Bull in some order, long time since I've seen the last two

Interesting list, my top five would be Airplane, Die Hard, The Running Man then Scarface and Raging Bull in some order, long time since I've seen the last two
My wife and I fired up The Running Man the other night.....she'd never seen it, and I'd seen it back when it came out......talk about a movie that did not age well! It's not one I think I'll go back to.......It must have a lot of sentimental value for you.

You can very well go back and reassess Rosemary's Baby or Annie Hall. If you're trying to get into the spirit of what the writer/director is trying to say on a philosophical or personal level, all new evidence is allowed. What you do with that evidence is up to you.

I happen to think Platoon is a fine movie, bordering on excellent and other accolades such as that, but I have real questions about the political philosophy behind it. The impetus for making the film, that is. I'm just not sure I trust where the director is coming from or what point he's trying to make and why. Now, it happens that I can personally separate Platoon out from both its politics and its impetus and see that it is a really emotional, great war film, but I can see where others might not. I also happen, at this stage of my life, to disagree with the Vietnam war, but my politics are colored by more temperance about the sentiment than others hold. It was a really difficult time, and I think the domino theory was a very real, viable thought that imperfect people used in an imperfect time to guide then.

And it's moot because it doesn't sound like what KP or ilov80s were doing at all. I can speak only for myself.

I take Platoon at face value and maybe that's why I don't get into the weeds of his motivation or politics behind it. Stone served in Vietnam, saw combat action, was wounded, awarded medals, etc. so perhaps the movie is steeped in his first hand experience of action there and he wanted to bring it to an audience. I'm not aware of any movie about the Vietnam War made prior to this one that showed the atrocities on the big screen the way this one did - Deerhunter had some pretty gnarly scenes, but nothing like Platoon. It didn't hold back showing them either, which (at least to me) was a real eye opener. This certainly wasn't a John Wayne war movie.

Taking his politics out of it, it portrayed a messy war waged by mostly poor, underprivileged kids who had no choice but to be there and fight (except for Sheen's character, which was kind of an important component of this film). I don't think Stone's controversial political takes 20-30 years after he made this film alter the way this film should be received. IMO.

My wife and I fired up The Running Man the other night.....she'd never seen it, and I'd seen it back when it came out......talk about a movie that did not age well! It's not one I think I'll go back to.......It must have a lot of sentimental value for you.
For me this #1 on my list of movies I actually want a remake of. It has a great idea and potential, but I can admit only my love of the cheesiness makes me still revisit it. It's a great bad movie.

For me this #1 on my list of movies I actually want a remake of. It has a great idea and potential, but I can admit only my love of the cheesiness makes me still revisit it. It's a great bad movie.

You cannot remake this without Richard Dawson. C'mon.

Separate thread - how many of these movies that we revere from the 80s could be made today?

Revenge of the Nerds? Absolutely not.
Full Metal Jacket? I think you'd need to heavily edit out some of the scenes in Vietnam.

Soul Man? Okay, this one's a reach.

Separate thread - how many of these movies that we revere from the 80s could be made today?

Full Metal Jacket? I think you'd need to heavily edit out some of the scenes in Vietnam.

:lmao:

On top of that, basketball is one of my least favorites. So I will gravitate to a baseball, hockey, football or martial arts movie first typically.

Yeah, I figured it was something like that. And of course, there is nothing wrong with that rationale. Dog lovers like dog movies. Basketball players like basketball movies etc. etc.

Agreed. Two great films.

Platoon
Body Heat
Das Boot
Road Warrior
Drugstore Cowboy
Gandhi
9 1/2 Weeks
Glory

Agreed. Two great films.

Platoon
Body Heat
Das Boot
Road Warrior
Drugstore Cowboy
Gandhi
9 1/2 Weeks
Glory

Well, like I said - it won 4 Academy Awards for a reason. I'll leave it at that.
Oh! There dey go! THERE DEY GO! Every...time...I start talkin' about movies, some dude gotta pull the Academy Awards out they ***! That's their one! That's their ONE! Academy Awards, Academy Awards... Let me tell you something, at one time the Academy Awards was good but along the way, the Academy became ####!

(In other words, I don't think an Oscar is any sort of trump card).

• Laughing

Yeah, I figured it was something like that. And of course, there is nothing wrong with that rationale. Dog lovers like dog movies. Basketball players like basketball movies etc. etc.

As a dog lover AND a basketball lover, I find great displeasure that the greatest canine/hoops movie was omitted here: Teen Wolf!

You can very well go back and reassess Rosemary's Baby or Annie Hall. If you're trying to get into the spirit of what the writer/director is trying to say on a philosophical or personal level, all new evidence is allowed. What you do with that evidence is up to you.

I take Platoon at face value and maybe that's why I don't get into the weeds of his motivation or politics behind it. Stone served in Vietnam, saw combat action, was wounded, awarded medals, etc. so perhaps the movie is steeped in his first hand experience of action there and he wanted to bring it to an audience. I'm not aware of any movie about the Vietnam War made prior to this one that showed the atrocities on the big screen the way this one did - Deerhunter had some pretty gnarly scenes, but nothing like Platoon. It didn't hold back showing them either, which (at least to me) was a real eye opener. This certainly wasn't a John Wayne war movie.

Taking his politics out of it, it portrayed a messy war waged by mostly poor, underprivileged kids who had no choice but to be there and fight (except for Sheen's character, which was kind of an important component of this film). I don't think Stone's controversial political takes 20-30 years after he made this film alter the way this film should be received. IMO.
Good post. The duality of the Barnes and Elias characters was brilliantly realistic and IMO couldn't possibly have been portrayed by someone who didn't experience it firsthand.

Agreed. Two great films.

Platoon
Body Heat
Das Boot
Road Warrior
Drugstore Cowboy
Gandhi
9 1/2 Weeks
Glory

Agreed. Two great films.

Platoon
Body Heat
Das Boot
Road Warrior
Drugstore Cowboy
Gandhi
9 1/2 Weeks
Glory

Oh! There dey go! THERE DEY GO! Every...time...I start talkin' about movies, some dude gotta pull the Academy Awards out they ***! That's their one! That's their ONE! Academy Awards, Academy Awards... Let me tell you something, at one time the Academy Awards was good but along the way, the Academy became ####!

(In other words, I don't think an Oscar is any sort of trump card).

Well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Hell, even in boot camp with the racial insults.

As I said, a lot of the teen/comedy movies leaned rapey and creepy so I do wonder about those. Trying not to talk about too many with shuke wanting to fire one up too, but would expect 3 I have in mind to show up there. I still think some are funny and have no problems watching them - one was in my top 100 and the others just missed.

BTW, of the "snub list" I made, there were still 12 movies left on it after the original 21. The 9 movies that you ended up picking are the following:

Back to the Future
The Shining
Blade Runner
The Terminator
Beverly Hills Cop
Aliens
Stand By Me
Fast Times
Princess Bride

The rest should show up on the next 100. They're all ranked highly on my list FWIW.

I'm really impressed by you folks who can pull up these sorts of lists. It's like the U2 thread for me - I couldn't come up with more than 25 songs I wanted ranked. Y'all were pulling out 250 or so songs. That's incredible. My brain doesn't have the capacity to store that much data. Culling through the list I find myself saying "Oh yeah! That was a great movie! Forgot about that one!". Obviously, movies like Back to the Future, Empire, Raiders, ET are front of mind, but then I see "House of Games" and I had forgotten all about that one - that's a great flick!

I believe there is at least one remake being looked at, oddly enough, i believe staying more faithful to the book than the original

And do I really care if a cheesy af Arnie film doesn't age well? I get entertainment out of it on rewatches, that's all I want, I'm not expecting Citizen Kane. Oddly i do think it's mildly prescient in terms of calling 30 years into the future, although that could get way too close to politics for in here

Running Man would have been an interesting movie if it'd adhered more closely to the book. Can't do it now Post-9/11 (a plane flies into a building).

Glad that Total Recall didn't make this list. I've never understood the love.

In a tragic commentary of my life, I used to set my VCR to record "Siskel & Ebert" on Sunday nights. Must watch TV for me. I even bought 2 of Ebert's books. :bag:

I wouldn't pay to go to a movie unless BOTH gave thumbs up. I was not about to shell out my hard earned coin for a movie that didn't earn erect pollex from the Chicago boys. Rentals were one thing, but a big screen for less than two thumbs up? Fuhgeddaboudit. I must have been a miserable person to date.

Anyhow, here's Ebert's top 10 from the 80s

10. House of Games
9. Platoon
8. Mississippi Burning (another surprising omission)
7. Ran
6. Raiders of the Lost Ark
5. My Dinner with Andre (not sure I've seen this one - I'm going to queue it up along with Amadeus which I also missed)
4. Do the Right Thing
3. ET
2. The Right Stuff
1. Raging Bull

Gene Siskel's top 10 from the 80s

10. Kagemusha (??)
9. Sid & Nancy (I didn't like this one when I watched it in 8th grade, might revisit)
8. Moonlighting
7. Once Upon a Time in America (I don't know if I saw this one either)
6. Do the Right Thing
5. Roger Rabbitt
4. My Diner with Andre
3. The Right STuff
2. Shoah (??)
1. Raging Bull

I believe there is at least one remake being looked at, oddly enough, i believe staying more faithful to the book than the original

And do I really care if a cheesy af Arnie film doesn't age well? I get entertainment out of it on rewatches, that's all I want, I'm not expecting Citizen Kane. Oddly i do think it's mildly prescient in terms of calling 30 years into the future, although that could get way too close to politics for in here
Of course, if that's what you are after. But as I rank and decide on nit-picky stuff between cheesy Arnolds like Predator and Running Man for example - that's when questions of how they hold up and other things come to play. In each tier I tried to have a rational reason for ranking one over the other.

Running Man would have been an interesting movie if it'd adhered more closely to the book. Can't do it now Post-9/11 (a plane flies into a building).

Glad that Total Recall didn't make this list. I've never understood the love.

Total Recall was 1990. Otherwise it absolutely should have made the list!

GET YA *** TO MAHS

#11: FAST TIMES AT RIDGEMONT HIGH [prime]

80s' #14 and my #21. There's a couple comedies after thinking about them today I would probably have a little higher if I did the list today - this and our #8 (which I am going to watch tonight). This is the very rare example of seeing it a bit later in life and loving it more and more. So funny with so many quotes, but it also takes the time to address or observe other things in a realistic way.

Heard a trivia question related to this ... name the 3 actors/actresses from this movie who went on to win an academy award

80s' #14 and my #21. There's a couple comedies after thinking about them today I would probably have a little higher if I did the list today - this and our #8 (which I am going to watch tonight). This is the very rare example of seeing it a bit later in life and loving it more and more. So funny with so many quotes, but it also takes the time to address or observe other things in a realistic way.

Heard a trivia question related to this ... name the 3 actors/actresses from this movie who went on to win an academy award

Stoltz?

Stoltz?
Don't think he won an academy award, but it was him and not Cuzak that I mentioned before. Not sure why I thought Cuzak was the other stoner.

Users who are viewing this thread