What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Chicago Bears Thread*** A dynasty begins... (9 Viewers)

http://bearswire.usatoday.com/

Bears assistant GM Ian Cunningham says team will take best player available in NFL draft​

Story by Alyssa Barbieri • 5h ago

It’s no secret that the Chicago Bears have a number of needs to address in the 2023 NFL draft, most notably in the trenches at defensive tackle, edge rusher and offensive tackle.

But general manager Ryan Poles has indicated in the past that the Bears aren’t going to let positional need get in the way of taking the best option available. Just look at free agency with linebackers Tremaine Edmunds and T.J. Edwards.

Assistant GM Ian Cunningham indicated as much during a pre-draft press conference on Tuesday, where he said Chicago’s approach remains one where they’re focused on landing the “best player available.”

“I think that’s what we always do is try to take that best player available approach,” Cunningham said. “I think the whole needs thing… those needs kind of get ironed out with the whole process, but ultimately it’s the best player available.”

Cunningham said positional need will come more into play on the third day of the draft, where the Bears have six selections.

While many expect offensive tackle to be the move at No. 9, if top options at their biggest needs are off the board, positions like cornerback, wide receiver and running back could be on the table.

Cunningham said there are six to eight players that Chicago has tabbed as options at that ninth spot.

If they are serious about best football player available regardless of position, Bijan and JSN have to be the front runners. I wouldn't hate either of those picks if we can't move down.

I am baffled by comment about positional need comes into play more day 3 of the draft. Those are long shot / special team players.
I think he meant more as needs for depth on day 3.

I'm pretty much good with any scenario that doesn't have them taking an OT at #9. I think OL is a strength of the team right now. Jones-Davis-Whitehair-Jenkins-Borom is a solid mostly young OL. Probably in the 10-15 range in the NFL. I could maybe get on board with Skoronski due to his NFL readiness and versatility, but don't have any interest in any of the other top OL guys without a trade down. JSN would be an interesting pick, suddenly Claypool/Mooney are splitting the #3 job, but that probably isn't where they are looking without a trade down.
From a talent standpoint I think the top 4 OTs are almost interchangeable. They are all in the top tier of OT. If one really fits the system better than the others, I can understand an OT pick at 9. It feels like they all have similar upside and all have a weakness or two. It's Poles' call to make, but I'd probably be disappointed in taking a tackle at #9 as well knowing he have a long wait until the second round pick. i.e... give me the 3rd or 4th pick at tackle in the middle/end of Rd1 and another pick instead of the pick of the litter at #9.

I'm higher on JSN than most, so I can see the Bears passing on him. I hate that the packers are perfect landing spot for the kid because I think he is going to be real good.

Bears assistant GM Ian Cunningham says team will take best player available in NFL draft​

It’s no secret that the Chicago Bears have a number of needs to address in the 2023 NFL draft, most notably in the trenches at defensive tackle, edge rusher and offensive tackle.

But general manager Ryan Poles has indicated in the past that the Bears aren’t going to let positional need get in the way of taking the best option available. Just look at free agency with linebackers Tremaine Edmunds and T.J. Edwards.

Assistant GM Ian Cunningham indicated as much during a pre-draft press conference on Tuesday, where he said Chicago’s approach remains one where they’re focused on landing the “best player available.”

“I think that’s what we always do is try to take that best player available approach,” Cunningham said. “I think the whole needs thing… those needs kind of get ironed out with the whole process, but ultimately it’s the best player available.”

Cunningham said positional need will come more into play on the third day of the draft, where the Bears have six selections.

While many expect offensive tackle to be the move at No. 9, if top options at their biggest needs are off the board, positions like cornerback, wide receiver and running back could be on the table.

Cunningham said there are six to eight players that Chicago has tabbed as options at that ninth spot.

If they are serious about best football player available regardless of position, Bijan and JSN have to be the front runners. I wouldn't hate either of those picks if we can't move down.

I am baffled by comment about positional need comes into play more day 3 of the draft. Those are long shot / special team players.
I just can't wrap my head around taking either bijan or jsn at #9 with the huge amount of needs on the team. This draft is pivotal in the development cycle of Fields. If he flatlines this year, then we are likely starting over in 2024. If he excels, then we want to be in a position to compete in 2024 and 2025 while he is still in a rookie deal. I just don't see either player elevating the TEAM to that point given all the glaring holes in the Defense and a mediocre OL.
I think Bijan is the safest pick in the draft at 9. Also a huge upgrade over the current backfield. It takes an average backfield and makes it one of the best in the league.

Its not the team's most glaring hole and I think a lot will be said with who is on the board at 9. There is a knock on each first round OT, and some rumors have been coming out that the Bears really want to give Braxton Jones the LT spot as his to lose. Drafting a dedicated RT at #9 isn't great value either. Especially when the Bears can get a quality RT later in the draft.

I feel the same way about the DL prospects. I'm going assume Anderson, Wilson and Carter are off the board by 9. The next tier is mostly interchangeable to me. I just don't love the value at 9, but if you're going to take the best player, its probably Bijan. I don't want to get stuck with the next Leonard Floyd.

I'm pretty much good with any scenario that doesn't have them taking an OT at #9. I think OL is a strength of the team right now. Jones-Davis-Whitehair-Jenkins-Borom is a solid mostly young OL. Probably in the 10-15 range in the NFL. I could maybe get on board with Skoronski due to his NFL readiness and versatility, but don't have any interest in any of the other top OL guys without a trade down. JSN would be an interesting pick, suddenly Claypool/Mooney are splitting the #3 job, but that probably isn't where they are looking without a trade down.
From a talent standpoint I think the top 4 OTs are almost interchangeable. They are all in the top tier of OT. If one really fits the system better than the others, I can understand an OT pick at 9. It feels like they all have similar upside and all have a weakness or two. It's Poles' call to make, but I'd probably be disappointed in taking a tackle at #9 as well knowing he have a long wait until the second round pick. i.e... give me the 3rd or 4th pick at tackle in the middle/end of Rd1 and another pick instead of the pick of the litter at #9.

I'm higher on JSN than most, so I can see the Bears passing on him. I hate that the packers are perfect landing spot for the kid because I think he is going to be real good.
I see the OTs a little differently. I personally think Skoronski is pretty flawless as a prospect and my clear #1. He might not have Johnson's ceiling, but he seems very safe. Johnson has the highest ceiling, but I worry about him being a 1 year starter at LT. I think Broderick Jones is super raw and should probably be drafted in the 20's. I find it interesting that the talk is moving Skoronksi inside, when if any of the top T's may need to play inside, its probably Wright. I think Dawand Jones and Anton Harrison are probably every bit the prospect, maybe even better, than Wright.

I do agree that the Bears offense would be pretty interesting with JSN. He's a perfect compliment to DJ Moore, who if I'm being honest, I'm not sure if he's a true #1, or if he was a big fish in a small pond in Carolina. He's good, but JSN might be better, and having both would give us a lot of answers on Fields. That would make the Claypool deal look pretty dumb in hindsight, but I don't think smart teams worry about that.

Much like OT, this may be a minority opinion, but I don't want any EDGE other than Anderson in the top-10. If Tyree Wilson is somehow there at #9, I'd prefer they pass.

I see the OTs a little differently. I personally think Skoronski is pretty flawless as a prospect and my clear #1. He might not have Johnson's ceiling, but he seems very safe. Johnson has the highest ceiling, but I worry about him being a 1 year starter at LT. I think Broderick Jones is super raw and should probably be drafted in the 20's. I find it interesting that the talk is moving Skoronksi inside, when if any of the top T's may need to play inside, its probably Wright. I think Dawand Jones and Anton Harrison are probably every bit the prospect, maybe even better, than Wright.

I do agree that the Bears offense would be pretty interesting with JSN. He's a perfect compliment to DJ Moore, who if I'm being honest, I'm not sure if he's a true #1, or if he was a big fish in a small pond in Carolina. He's good, but JSN might be better, and having both would give us a lot of answers on Fields. That would make the Claypool deal look pretty dumb in hindsight, but I don't think smart teams worry about that.

Much like OT, this may be a minority opinion, but I don't want any EDGE other than Anderson in the top-10. If Tyree Wilson is somehow there at #9, I'd prefer they pass.
I think one of the things that Poles is considering is insulating himself from a Fields disaster. IF Fields doesn't produce this season, he will have to make a move at QB in 2024. That could be drafting a Williams or Maye type or free agency. The point is that drafting solely to cater to Fields could be disaster in the making. In that way, I think Poles will look to the trenches first with a board that looks something like Carter, Skoronski, PJJ, and Wright. If those fall through then I'd assume he trades down into the upper 20s, gets another 2nd and takes a haul of OL/DL prospects in the 2nd round. There's just so much value in the 3rd and 4th rounds with regards to RB that it's hard to justify picking Bijan (or JSN for that matter) this draft.

If it's me in the war room instead of typing at this computer, I'd have a 3 man draft list consisting of Carter, Skoronski and PJJ. If those guys are gone, I'm planning to trade down.

Last edited:

I think one of the things that Poles is considering is insulating himself from a Fields disaster. IF Fields doesn't produce this season, he will have to make a move at QB in 2024. That could be drafting a Williams or Maye type or free agency. The point is that drafting solely to cater to Fields could be disaster in the making. In that way, I think Poles will look to the trenches first with a board that looks something like Carter, Skoronski, PJJ, and Wright. If those fall through then I'd assume he trades down into the upper 20s, gets another 2nd and takes a haul of OL/DL prospects in the 2nd round. There's just so much value in the 3rd and 4th rounds with regards to RB that it's hard to justify picking Bijan (or JSN for that matter) this draft.

If it's me in the war room instead of typing at this computer, I'd have a 3 man draft list consisting of Carter, Skoronski and PJJ. If those guys are gone, I'm planning to trade down.
And maybe use that extra second round pick to give to Washington for Chase Young?

I'm still hoping for an edgepass rusher at this spot if Carter is gone. I'd take Wilson and maybe Murphy or Van Ness.

OL I think I'll just be annoyed if they take anyone other than Skoronski. Not because I'm not a fan of the other guys but because I think Skoronski is the clear top guy.

Wright seems to be the late riser of this class. The Bears taking Wright at #9 is making it's way around the media circles the last couple of days. I hear he is likely only going to be a RT, but probably a pro-bowl caliber one. A safe RT pick doesn't excite me at 9. I think you're right that Dawand Jones in rd 2 is comparable.

I like Skoronski the football player a ton. Just not sure where he fits on day 1. Making that a tough pick at 9.

Paris Johnson has solid potential, however his biggest knock seems to be that he lacks power at point of contact and could improve on his strength. Which is the same set of knocks on Braxton Jones. Two Tackles with the same weakness isn't ideal.

Brodrick jones is raw, totally agree there. On the plus side his footwork is impressive and he is only 21. So he has a lot of room to grow and develop. Not #9 worthy, but agree he is a value around #20 if we can trade down.

I'm not a fan of the edges likely available at #9 either at that value. I'd take a swing on Wilson though just because it seems like he can play multiple spots up front.

The value is clearly in a trade back. Or potentially at CB with #9.

Obviously I'm a big supporter of a trade back. I just think there are some great prospects in the 20-40 range that we're going to miss out on without a trade back.

If the Bears stick at 9, I'd be happy with Wilson, Carter, Witherspoon, Gonzalez, Skoronski, P. Johnson, JSN, or Bijan. outside of one of those picks I think they should have traded down.

Wildcard goes to Nolan Smith, whom I personally love and think he could go as high as #10. Him and Wright are in my 1B tier.

I like how this has broken so far for Chicago. Wilson, Carter still in play. Levis as a trade back chip for another team.

Detroit is loaded with picks now.

If this isn't Skoronski...

Still you get the present of Carter in your lap and you pass for nothing. What a terrible franchise. Always.

Couldn't hate the pick more. Should have gotten more to move down, should have stayed put and taken Carter, should have taken Skoronski if they were locked into OL. 2nd worst pick of the draft so far in my eyes.
Agree. They seemingly botched this big time. Two of the best 5 players in the draft were sitting there and they passed on both. Poles is in big trouble. Didn't get a pass rusher or big OT in FA and now pulls this.

This was a gutless pick in my opinion. They were gifted what was possibly the best player in the draft and they botched it. This is why Philly is great every year and we're stuck sucking hind teat.
I think there is something to be said about having the right locker room for each player. Philly has an established culture with plenty of vets at the moment. Chicago is on the other end of the spectrum. There wasn't much of a market apparently for other teams to move up and get Carter. I think he will do well in Philly, but who knows how he would have played out in Chicago.

This was a gutless pick in my opinion. They were gifted what was possibly the best player in the draft and they botched it. This is why Philly is great every year and we're stuck sucking hind teat.
There wasn't much of a market apparently for other teams to move up and get Carter.
How do you know this? I just don't think they wanted to move down too far. Poles probably has his heart set on Wright.

On the positive side of the ledger, Bears did succeed in drafting a premium position of need with the 2nd OT selected in the draft, with an additional future mid round draft pick.

However, considering the monster potential of Carter, kinda disappointed that they best they could do was just a 2024 4th round pick from Philly.
Conversely, would have been super excited had they taken Carter.

Maybe they didn't feel like they could provide the right environment for Carter's development. Maybe Poles & Co. were pot committed to acquiring Wright specifically, or to drafting one of the top OTs. Four were taken in the first 14 picks, so maybe they couldn't afford to get too cute with trade down scenarios.

Here's hoping that their analysis are on point. IF Wright ends up being a fixture at tackle for the next 8-10 years protecting Fields, then it'll probably have been worth it...

Solid pick addressing a big hole and need!

Guys... Let's let Poles do his work and let it play out... I'm just SO grateful we don't have Pace making these picks as he would drafted an obscure TE with that first pick!! 😂
You don't feel like we just had another Aaron Donald situation?

There wasn't much of a market apparently for other teams to move up and get Carter.
How do you know this? I just don't think they wanted to move down too far. Poles probably has his heart set on Wright.
You could be right. I was disappointed in the cost to move down a slot. More surprised no one offered a better deal that Chicago could live with.

I wanted Mazi Smith so much. I knew he wouldn't fall though. Feels like forever before we pick again... Hoping we can jump up in Rd2 if the price is right.

Personally, I think Wright was the 4th best OT in the draft. Skoronski would have been a much better pick, as would many others. This felt a little like drafting Mehki Becton over Tristan Wirfs.

That said, Wright doesn't suck, but this couldn't be more underwhelming. Felt like drafting a RT because they wanted to upgrade RT, not because he was anywhere near the best player. At least Detroit and some other teams made some worse picks.

I'll call it a B-. I'm not thrilled with the pick, but if we did just get the RT spot locked down with a higher end player, I can't be too mad at that.

I really need to see a run on interior O lineman to start RD2. Watching 5 of the last 6 picks in RD1 be DL, I'm worried there won't be much left by 54.

Day 2 draft plan is pretty simple for me. No less than 2 of these next three need to be Defense.

Hope one of Keeanu Benton, Adetomiwa Adebawore or Tuli Tulipulotu are there at 53.

61 - take the best Skill player/CB/DL left

64 - repeat above but prioritize need more.

Upon reflection, it is telling to me that we could only get a trade down with Philly. The risk of picking Carter TO THIS CURRENT TEAM outweighs the possible reward. A team like Philly with the culture already in place is the perfect landing spot for Carter. If he succeeds it'll shore up a position of need for a Superbowl contender. If he flames out, they are still a contender. The bears simply don't have the culture or talent in the locker room yet to sustain a flame out of a top 10 pick. Poles has always said he'd build through the draft and stack both lines. He's doing exactly what he said he'd do.

Upon reflection, it is telling to me that we could only get a trade down with Philly. The risk of picking Carter TO THIS CURRENT TEAM outweighs the possible reward. A team like Philly with the culture already in place is the perfect landing spot for Carter. If he succeeds it'll shore up a position of need for a Superbowl contender. If he flames out, they are still a contender. The bears simply don't have the culture or talent in the locker room yet to sustain a flame out of a top 10 pick. Poles has always said he'd build through the draft and stack both lines. He's doing exactly what he said he'd do.
I admire your attempts to spin this positively. Having been a die hard fan of this franchise for over 30 years though, I pretty much know how this is going to work out.

I admire your attempts to spin this positively. Having been a die hard fan of this franchise for over 30 years though, I pretty much know how this is going to work out.
There is no spin. We're talking risk vs reward for a particular team (the Bears) who are going through a cultural change from top to bottom. Again, it's telling that the only team willing to trade up was Philly, a team that has culture and veteran leadership on both sides of the ball in the locker room and on the field. The Bears currently do not. The Eagles can absorb that risk much easier than the Bears. My assumption is THAT is the reason Poles decided to trade down 1 pick for a minor return. I also wonder how many teams were on the phones with Chicago when they went on the clock for pick #9. I doubt it was very many...

There is no spin. We're talking risk vs reward for a particular team (the Bears) who are going through a cultural change from top to bottom. Again, it's telling that the only team willing to trade up was Philly, a team that has culture and veteran leadership on both sides of the ball in the locker room and on the field. The Bears currently do not. The Eagles can absorb that risk much easier than the Bears. My assumption is THAT is the reason Poles decided to trade down 1 pick for a minor return. I also wonder how many teams were on the phones with Chicago when they went on the clock for pick #9. I doubt it was very many...
How do you know how many teams were willing to move up? From the sound of it Poles had his heart set on Wright so he probably wasn't looking to move down much.

We're the Titans of this season. Nice big present to the Eagles for no reason. The team that doesn't need our help to make them even more dominant. Your reasoning isn't going to work. A freaking culture change? We're trying to win football games. Get the best players. It's not rocket science. This is why for the most part the crappy teams stay crappy and the successful ones stay successful. They pick the best players.

How do you know how many teams were willing to move up? From the sound of it Poles had his heart set on Wright so he probably wasn't looking to move down much.

We're the Titans of this season. Nice big present to the Eagles for no reason. The team that doesn't need our help to make them even more dominant. Your reasoning isn't going to work. A freaking culture change? We're trying to win football games. Get the best players. It's not rocket science. This is why for the most part the crappy teams stay crappy and the successful ones stay successful. They pick the best players.
Poles was quoted as wanting to trade down from the #9. If he had reasonable offers from other teams he would have taken them. It may have been smoke screen, but Poles has been pretty true to his word so far.

And winning isn't always about having the best players. KC is a great example of that. Did Belicheck have the team with the best players on his superbowl runs? Winning the SB is much more difficult than just stacking your roster. But I get the whole jaded Bears fan schtick. It's the least emotionally damaging way to enter a new season.

And now today we get to be reminded all day that we don't have the first pick tonight because for some reason we had to have Chase Claypool who's really a 4th-5th round talent.

And we still have no pass rush. Fun to watch D when the qb gets all day to pick it apart.

Couldn't hate the pick more. Should have gotten more to move down, should have stayed put and taken Carter, should have taken Skoronski if they were locked into OL. 2nd worst pick of the draft so far in my eyes.
Agree. Wright might be a good tackle for years to come, but boy the Bears had it perfectly lined up and they screwed it up. After the trade was announced, I actually thought CHI would take Gonzalez, which would have been OK.

If they really liked Wright that much, why not trade down to 15 or so? Wright would have been available at 15.

You would think that the Bears could have received a better offer for the 9 than just a 4th rounder next year.

Agree. Wright might be a good tackle for years to come, but boy the Bears had it perfectly lined up and they screwed it up. After the trade was announced, I actually thought CHI would take Gonzalez, which would have been OK.

If they really liked Wright that much, why not trade down to 15 or so? Wright would have been available at 15.

You would think that the Bears could have received a better offer for the 9 than just a 4th rounder next year.
Because they believed the Titans take him at 11

I don't quite understand the wishes for a greater haul with trading down. Given that no one wanted Levis in the first, that took away the best card Poles had to play.

I like the pick. The dude played vs. elite competition and allowed 8 pressures and no sacks. Bears who allowed the most sacks in the NFL last year filled a huge need, and they need more. IMO, it would've been professional malpractice to make a commitment to Fields as their franchise QB by moving out of the #1 pick and then not take OL there. Fields got killed last year.

Jalen Carter might be great in the NFL, but it isn't a slam dunk. If he was a slam dunk, he would've gone higher than 9. The guy has had his motor questioned and disappeared at times. Combine that with his off field stuff and it was probably enough risk for the Bears to pass on him. That said, Carter goes to the perfect team for him to succeed.

There are some good interior D linmen still on the board. Hopefully the Bears can get some today.

Guys... Let's let Poles do his work and let it play out... I'm just SO grateful we don't have Pace making these picks as he would drafted an obscure TE with that first pick!! 😂
How was this like the 2014 draft? I remember Donald being in consideration for the Bears but the Rams scooped them at 13. Donald was initially pegged to be a 4-5 rounder because he was undersized. But he was a high motor guy with great character and moved up the boards late. Kind of opposite of Carter.

How was this like the 2014 draft? I remember Donald being in consideration for the Bears but the Rams scooped them at 13. Donald was initially pegged to be a 4-5 rounder because he was undersized. But he was a high motor guy with great character and moved up the boards late. Kind of opposite of Carter.
I just meant a big time DT that would have worked for us going one spot ahead of us. The situation, not the player.

Users who are viewing this thread