What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Anthony Richardson, IND (3 Viewers)

They made it sound like he was indestructible coming out of college.

Now he's outpacing RGIII as a running QB getting systematically hammered to bits and finished.

It's a rough sport and injuries happen all the time, but team brass really needs to analyze why other rushing QBs like Lamar and Hurts manage to largely stay healthy with their style, and Richardson can't so far.

It's a rough sport and injuries happen all the time, but team brass really needs to analyze why other rushing QBs like Lamar and Hurts manage to largely stay healthy with their style, and Richardson can't so far.
It really looks like he is so big that he doesn’t know how to go to ground efficiently. Watching McCaffery last night he is so smooth at absorbing contact And going to ground. Arich is awkward going to the turf and with his massive size it just makes for awkward contact. It’s almost like his own body weight is a disadvantage to him right now.

prayers for a quick recovery and that he can be effective this season.

Jackson has been injured a number of times.

Hurts even though he runs never seems to take the big hits when running. Hurts knows when to get down and when to get OB and has great vision. Richardson seems to get pounded with abusive hits. Won`t last long at this pace.

Going to the Cleveland game, looks like the Minshew show. I'm thankful we have a decent backup QB. They will need to sign another QB won't they?

Now he's outpacing RGIII as a running QB getting systematically hammered to bits and finished.
I still don’t understand why this narrative was being sold.

He has had a history of being dinged and hurt in high school and college from everything I had read.

Is what it is with him.

Colts gonna kill another QB.

:confused:

The Colts O-line is probably playing better than any in the league this year. Zack Moss is averaging 5ypc. Gardner Minshew is top 5 in the league in QBR sitting back there. Richardson has all day when he drops back to pass.

He's just a guy that gets hurt a lot when he runs. He always always has been.

He has had a history of being dinged and hurt in high school and college from everything I had read.

Is what it is with him.

Agreed. I never saw anyone selling this narrative and any analyst that was should be immediately ignored because they reported the exact opposite of reality.

Guys it was just an unfortunate landing. The concussion could have been prevented though and I'd imagine he learned from that one. Sucks though

I remember the Lance comparisons after the draft - different players/injuries but all I know is 2 top SF QB picks never playing. He's gotta figure it out quick or he could end up with the same fate - especially if Minshew starts balling out - who would have though the last pick in the draft would kick Lance out.

With Byes, he's pretty close to a drop for me. Hate to do it but shallow bench and no IR

4 or 6 weeks is a big difference but he looked to be in quite a bit of pain last night.

Is what it is with him.
In fairness, what I heard was just a lot of oohing and ahhing over his build. No one was saying he was injury proof. Then again if a lot of dings tend to follows him around, and he’s a running QB, I don’t know why this wasn’t much more front and center in discussions about him. Discussions were all about him being raw as a passer, and seeing if he could get over that hump

Is what it is with him.
In fairness, what I heard was just a lot of oohing and ahhing over his build. No one was saying he was injury proof. Then again if a lot of dings tend to follows him around, and he’s a running QB, I don’t know why this wasn’t much more front and center in discussions about him. Discussions were all about him being raw as a passer, and seeing if he could get over that hump
I know I for one was mentioning his durability as a big concern for me and a knock on him I read about as well as spoke to some of my UF insiders about.

I tried man, I really really tried. There were several other posts beyond these as well...

And again, this is something that keeps getting lost in the constant discussion of whether or not he can improve his passing ability to one day be a top 1000 NFL quarterback from a throwing perspective. Dating back to high school Richardson has rarely shown the ability to both run the ball and stay healthy enough to continue running the ball.

And these aren't flukey injuries. These are the kind of injuries that you see some guys can't shake. Basically the DeAndre Swift of QBs. Hamstrings, shoulders, ankles, concussion. He even tore his meniscus while dancing. There's a very real chance that he's a future Kadarius Toney meme and no one is even talking about it.

Not usually major injuries, but the kind where you miss a few weeks, then you come back for a few weeks but clearly weren't ready, then a few more weeks where you can run but can't really take hits so you just kind of scoot out of bounds every time. Then you look up and it's mid December and the guy who's whole value was supposed to be his legs has 450yds rushing.

1 out of 6 seasons between high school and college that he actually stayed healthy enough to really run the ball like everyone is hoping he will run the ball.

It's worth noting that one thing being overlooked is that Richardson ran less often in college than people think he did. He only had 654 yards rushing last year. By comparison, Lamar Jackson ran for 1601 yards in a season in college.

Part of that is one thing that's being overlooked with Richardson is that he's had a tendency to pick up those annoying soft tissue injuries that really quash rushing value for the whole season, even despite not actually playing that often.

I think if Richardson were a good passer and didn't have that huge weakness distracting everyone, then people would be talking about this a lot more. But he's been SUCH a poor passer that people haven't even noticed that he has another pretty big red flag compared to most rushing QBs that have come out before him. When he runs, he has trouble staying on the field.

Going back to high school, he's only had 1 year in his last 5 where he put up good rushing stats. The other 4 years he had some kind of nagging injury that kept him from running consistently.

Last edited:
With Byes, he's pretty close to a drop for me. Hate to do it but shallow bench and no IR

4 or 6 weeks is a big difference but he looked to be in quite a bit of pain last night.
Same boat here. Hate to drop him and potentially give someone a cheat code for the playoffs but what can ya do...

unfortunately, my 2-3 team cannot hang onto him for the duration... short bench league. dang he was going to be a season changer for me, back to the drawing board...

If he ends up needing surgery I'm cutting. Can hold if it's a 4 -6 week (I think the Colts' bye would be the 5th week) absence. There's enough upside for a ff playoff run to justify holding as long as possible.

Honestly not the worst thing for his long term development. like Mahomes did, he can sit and watch and learn. And this gives them time to work with him on tactics to not take such big hits.

Colts coaches are idiots. Anthony Richardson got injured (for the 4th time this year) running the ball, on an option on 1st and 10.
This is one thing I've never understood with rushing QBs. I hate the designed runs for QBs. I much prefer them to call a pass play out of shotgun and give him the option to tuck it if it's open.
What's the difference? He's still going to take a hit at the end like this one, which didn't seem bad at all.

Not sure why people still argue against it, but "rushing" QBs are going to take more hits, which leaves them more vulnerable to injuries. It's the risk we/they take because the potential is so great, but I don't think it's realistic to expect them to not run as much, it's what makes them good.

Colts coaches are idiots. Anthony Richardson got injured (for the 4th time this year) running the ball, on an option on 1st and 10.
This is one thing I've never understood with rushing QBs. I hate the designed runs for QBs. I much prefer them to call a pass play out of shotgun and give him the option to tuck it if it's open.
What's the difference? He's still going to take a hit at the end like this one, which didn't seem bad at all.

Not sure why people still argue against it, but "rushing" QBs are going to take more hits, which leaves them more vulnerable to injuries. It's the risk we/they take because the potential is so great, but I don't think it's realistic to expect them to not run as much, it's what makes them good.
You can throw the ball away and not take a hit when it's a pass first play for one...

You can throw the ball away and not take a hit when it's a pass first play for one...
Okay, but throwing the ball away doesn't move your team down the field and score points.

People seem to get so offended by this but you draft/sign these guys for their running ability, not their passing ability. Obviously you want them to be decent passers but that's very unlikely to ever be their strength. I don't see how you can possibly draft a guy as raw as Richardson and not run him. If you want a pocket QB then draft/sign one, you can't put a square peg in a round hole. You can try to be strategic about when you run, you can try to work on not taking as many hits when they run, but you can't expect them to not run IMO.

Okay, but throwing the ball away doesn't move your team down the field and score points.

People seem to get so offended by this but you draft/sign these guys for their running ability, not their passing ability. Obviously you want them to be decent passers but that's very unlikely to ever be their strength. I don't see how you can possibly draft a guy as raw as Richardson and not run him. If you want a pocket QB then draft/sign one, you can't put a square peg in a round hole. You can try to be strategic about when you run, you can try to work on not taking as many hits when they run, but you can't expect them to not run IMO.
That is not what I said at all. Part of his game is running. I prefer him to run out of shotgun when there is daylight, not have a play called up where the only option is run where you will most likely take a big hit every time.

I recall Tua talking about taking judo so he could learn to not get concussed. Can't we sign Richardson up for that so he doesn't break everything?
The problem with AR is that he's too big of a target. He needs to get down to Bryce Young size to avoid the hits.

That is not what I said at all. Part of his game is running. I prefer him to run out of shotgun when there is daylight, not have a play called up where the only option is run where you will most likely take a big hit every time.
Huh? He did run out of shotgun, and ran out towards daylight, and he didn't take a big hit, it was an ordinary tackle but he just landed directly on his shoulder.

I get it, people are frustrated that he's hurt, but you're directing your frustration in the wrong direction IMO- it had nothing to do with that play call, it's much more about his style of play.

They ran the option, in the NFL, on 1st and 10 from their own 20. Ridiculous. The option doesn't work in the NFL. 3 or 4 yards once in a while, c'mon, there are lots of other play calls there; especially when your QB has already exited the first 3 of 4 games early do to injury while going down to the ground on run plays. The Colts just screwed up a good thing with that play call.

Last edited:

Huh? He did run out of shotgun, and ran out towards daylight, and he didn't take a big hit, it was an ordinary tackle but he just landed directly on his shoulder.

I get it, people are frustrated that he's hurt, but you're directing your frustration in the wrong direction IMO- it had nothing to do with that play call, it's much, much more about his style of play.
I'm not talking about this specific play. I get it was just unfortunate landing. What I'm saying is I dont like designed QB runs. More times then not they end in a big hit for little gain. I prefer shotgun pass plays with the option to run. It's my opinion so not sure you can convince me against it lol

I get it, people are frustrated that he's hurt, but you're directing your frustration in the wrong direction IMO- it had nothing to do with that play call, it's much, much more about his style of play.
I'm not talking about this specific play. I get it was just unfortunate landing. What I'm saying is I dont like designed QB runs. More times then not they end in a big hit for little gain. I prefer shotgun pass plays with the option to run. It's my opinion so not sure you can convince me against it lol
Well, at least you admit that you're being irrational lol.

Hate to break it to you, but running QBs are going to have designed QB runs, it's kind of what makes them running QBs. And I don't think there's any reason to believe the hits will be any more or less severe on designed runs vs. running out of a pass/run option. But, I won't try to convince you any more lol.

Well, at least you admit that you're being irrational lol.

Hate to break it to you, but running QBs are going to have designed QB runs, it's kind of what makes them running QBs. And I don't think there's any reason to believe the hits will be any more or less severe on designed runs vs. running out of a pass/run option. But, I won't try to convince you any more lol.
That's good because you have done a pretty bad job at convincing me so far.

I recall Tua talking about taking judo so he could learn to not get concussed. Can't we sign Richardson up for that so he doesn't break everything?
The problem with AR is that he's too big of a target. He needs to get down to Bryce Young size to avoid the hits.
Evidently the problem is that he gets tackled. He needs to stop doing that, maybe they can make it a rule?

Is anyone going to admit that was super high on him all summer that maybe things are not going to quite work out the way you were hoping?

And @travdogg you had ARich as a Top 10 QB for redraft and I expressed how much I disagreed with it
I think most people either drafted him late, drafted him as their QB2, or did what some of us were able to accomplish and use the public's love for this guy in the FF community and trade him immediately after he has a decent game. I believe he was a pretty high pick in Dynasty Leagues form all the heckling I got about all summer

I go back to when the Colts were down 20-0 a couple weeks ago to the Rams and everyone was so pumped up at what he did in the 2nd Half, but it was like everyone just forgot he was the main problem and why the Colts were down 20-0, 4 of 9 passing attempts before he started coming around on the Rams, that's what he did in college 52% completions
You cannot survive in the NFL playing Quarterback that way.

And the Colts burned the #4 pick on him, but I bet many still feel like they made an excellent decision.

Is anyone going to admit that was super high on him all summer that maybe things are not going to quite work out the way you were hoping?

And @travdogg you had ARich as a Top 10 QB for redraft and I expressed how much I disagreed with it
I think most people either drafted him late, drafted him as their QB2, or did what some of us were able to accomplish and use the public's love for this guy in the FF community and trade him immediately after he has a decent game. I believe he was a pretty high pick in Dynasty Leagues form all the heckling I got about all summer

I go back to when the Colts were down 20-0 a couple weeks ago to the Rams and everyone was so pumped up at what he did in the 2nd Half, but it was like everyone just forgot he was the main problem and why the Colts were down 20-0, 4 of 9 passing attempts before he started coming around on the Rams, that's what he did in college 52% completions

And the Colts burned the #4 pick on him, but I bet many still feel like they made an excellent decision.

I really don't agree with this at all...everyone knew he was raw when he got drafted as a soon to be 21-year-old but he did nothing but look very promising when he played and I have seen nothing but leadership and maturity from him which is a must for today's QB...still a very long way to go before the book on him is written and the injuries definitely are a concern but in today's NFL everything revolves around the QB position and Indy has to be very encouraged by what they have seen so far and I would assume would make this pick again without hesitation.

I really don't agree with this at all...everyone knew he was raw when he got drafted as a soon to be 21-year-old but he did nothing but look very promising when he played and I have seen nothing but leadership and maturity from him which is a must for today's QB...still a very long way to go before the book on him is written and the injuries definitely are a concern but in today's NFL everything revolves around the QB position and Indy has to be very encouraged by what they have seen so far and I would assume would make this pick again without hesitation.
I'm one of the very few that immediately had a 1-word post and I rarely use it
"Bust"

And when pressed about it and explaining that he didn't have passing skills required, I was mocked for not understanding that he was part of the new QB club in the NFL
And now it seems he is potentially done for the year, did not complete many games he started because of injuries, he's not worth anything in redraft this year.

He's a BUST, however folks want to define it for 2023. I know the dynasty players get angry with me, but news alert, I don't compete in that format, all I care about is the N-O-W!

Users who are viewing this thread