What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Super Bowl XLIII Game Thread - Pittsburgh Steelers vs. Arizona Cardina (1 Viewer)

Also, if they reviewed that last Kurt Warner pass attempt and overturned it there would have been a 15 yard penalty tacked on to it thanks to Harrison taking off his helmet like an idiot. Yes?
Yup. Well swept under the rug by the refs and NBC. Pitiful ending.
Give it up. The Steelers won, end of story.(I WAS ROOTING FOR THE CARDS)
So, you support them not even reviewing the play that clearly showed Kurt Warner's arm going forward? I see.
Going forward without control of the ball, you mean.I was rooting for the Cards too, but that was 100% a fumble. It was so obvious to me that, until I came onto this MB, it didn't even occur to me that someone might dispute that.
His arm was arched back and began to go forward. By definition...that is a forward pass.Even if they reviewed it and determined it wasn't...they still need to first review it.
His arm did go forward, but he was hit and the ball was at least jostled before his arm went forward. Michaels did say the play had been reviewed but we definitely didn't see anything on the field consistent with that statement. I guess we'll have to wait for an official explanation tomorrow.

Great 4th qtr here.
:lmao: After all the #####ing you've done.

At least you have hockey.
Back from your suspension for the clique shtick?
I wasn't suspended, believe it or not, I just realized that I could spend my time in a manner that would benefit society. I loved the part where you #####ed about the refs.

0-16.

Once again, at least you have hockey.
So you are still selling Amway then? I miss you in the FFA, it's like you were never there. :towelwave:

bostonfred said:
bostonfred said:
bostonfred said:
It's a shame that the Pittsburgh has two fake championships. I'd hope if I were a Pittsburgh fan that I could at least be proud of something they had done.
:lmao:
I'm sure in your world, Jesus rode the dinosaurs to the championship. My dad, who doesn't even watch football, said, I don't understand how the Steelers can grab so many faskmasks and win, it doesn't make sense, but it's over. They're not playing no more. So congrats on that.
Not surprising someone like you drags my faith into a discussion where it's completely irrelevant. Good job. :towelwave:
You're right. I'm sorry. That was a low blow. I shouldn't attack your faith on a night when your team was handed a bogus championship. Q
Wow. :lmao: :hophead: You are a straight doosh. Give us a few examples please........

First, I'll say that I thought the last play was a fumble. I slowed it down on TIVO and he lost control before the arm started moving forward. However, it was extremely close and with such a close play you have to review it. If the coaches had the right to challenge, you know that would've been instantly challenged and the booth review should challenge any play that would be an obvious coach's challenge. I think the only thing the officials accomplished by not challenging it was to call into question their objectivity.

However, I think the biggest oversight that apparently noone is talking about is the lack of a personal foul after Holmes' celebration. Andy is the only one I've seen mention it. If you're gonna make a rule saying no use of the ball as a prop in celebrations, and enforce it the entire season, then you have to throw the flag for it in the Superbowl. It's a shame that this'll be overlooked because of the final play.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great 4th qtr here.
:confused: After all the #####ing you've done.At least you have hockey.
:shrug: clique schtick ®
You might have missed it but Analog Hiss went on a rant blaming all his life problems on Otis, Shuke, Woz, and Joe Bryant. You and I weren't mentioned and I gave him five stars, it was a great meltdown. :confused:

First, I'll say that I thought the last play was a fumble. I slowed it down on TIVO and he lost control before the arm started moving forward. However, it was extremely close and with such a close play you have to review it. If the coaches had the right to challenge, you know that would've been instantly challenged and the booth review should challenge any play that would be an obvious coach's challenge. I think the only thing the officials accomploshed by not challenging it was to call into question their objectivity.However, I think the biggest oversight that apparently noone is talking about is the lack of a personal foul after Holmes' celebration. Andy is the only one I've seen mention it. If you're gonna make a rule saying no use of the ball as a prop in celebrations, and enforce it the entire season, then you have to throw the flag for it in the Superbowl. It's a shame that this'll be overlooked because of the final play.
Just add it to the list.The contributions to this fraudulent title are endless.

Congrats Poopdawg, Ahrn, Evilgrin, Franknbeans, Jerk, Tim, Brynam, and even sheriff 66 on the Steelers win. You too Helltoupee, hell congrats to Cross Eyed. He's a great guy but an awful sports homer, doesn't mean he shouldn't have a great night. :shrug:

Not even close. I'm sure Pittsburgh fans will pretend that this is alegitimate Superbowl, just like the last gift they received. But any fan of football is embarrassed with the referreeing today.
\blah blah. blah.. steelers fans rejoice.. your team won... bad calls on both sides.. but some people here are steeler haters cuz they win soo much.. they hate a winner..

Great 4th qtr here.
:confused: After all the #####ing you've done.At least you have hockey.
:shrug: clique schtick ®
You might have missed it but Analog Hiss went on a rant blaming all his life problems on Otis, Shuke, Woz, and Joe Bryant. You and I weren't mentioned and I gave him five stars, it was a great meltdown. :confused:
love the term clique schtick

First, I'll say that I thought the last play was a fumble. I slowed it down on TIVO and he lost control before the arm started moving forward. However, it was extremely close and with such a close play you have to review it. If the coaches had the right to challenge, you know that would've been instantly challenged and the booth review should challenge any play that would be an obvious coach's challenge. I think the only thing the officials accomploshed by not challenging it was to call into question their objectivity.However, I think the biggest oversight that apparently noone is talking about is the lack of a personal foul after Holmes' celebration. Andy is the only one I've seen mention it. If you're gonna make a rule saying no use of the ball as a prop in celebrations, and enforce it the entire season, then you have to throw the flag for it in the Superbowl. It's a shame that this'll be overlooked because of the final play.
Wow. Now a supposed celebration penalty cost the Cardinals a victory? Keep it coming fellas. This is sweeter than the victory itself......

I don't think I'd go as far as to call it a fraudulent title. Arizona had the lead with 2:30 left in the game and all they needed was to stop Pittsburgh. They didn't get it done, so they lost. Even with 15 yards added to the kickoff I don't think that Arizona pulls it off in 35 seconds.

Wow. Now a supposed celebration penalty cost the Cardinals a victory? Keep it coming fellas. This is sweeter than the victory itself......
Even as a Pittsburgh fan (and possible native), you do understand the meaning of a "contribution" right?

Guess celebration penalties don't apply to the Steelers.

I think the point is,like The Seahawks, The Cards were not cost a victory, but a fair chance for a victory.Fairness and Reason seem to be far beyond the scope of most Steeler Homers sad to say

I don't think I'd go as far as to call it a fraudulent title. Arizona had the lead with 2:30 left in the game and all they needed was to stop Pittsburgh. They didn't get it done, so they lost. Even with 15 yards added to the kickoff I don't think that Arizona pulls it off in 35 seconds.
Neither do I. But, what we think of the odds is beside the point. Otherwise we'd just take bets before the game, agree that the Steelers have better odds of winning and call it a day without playing the game.But, when the refs in this particular game made such horrible, critical calls against the Cards, not calling that 15 yd pentalty, not reviewing the incomplete pass, calling ticky-tack roughing the punter pentalties or holding penalties or facemask penalties or defensive PI penalties...it all adds up to a fraudulent title.TAINTED

bostonfred said:
It's a shame that the Pittsburgh has two fake championships. I'd hope if I were a Pittsburgh fan that I could at least be proud of something they had done.
hey boston fred.. we are good.. at least we dont steal plays and have cameras stealing other teams plays.. thats called an embarrasment.. new england fans.. boston?? NE fan.. pitt hater cuz we rocked you badly in NE

Despite a few indignant posters here and elsewhere on the Internet, I strongly doubt the calls in this game will be questioned in the media the way the Seattle game was. I haven't heard a single complaint on any television channel, either by Cardinals players or sports journalists.

Remember, last time almost immediately several reporters questioned the outcome. And then Mike Holgrem, in a move that made me lose so much of the respect I had for him, gave the controversy legitimacy by calling the outcome bogus in front of Seattle fans. IMO, it was a shameful move.

None of that's going to happen this time. You won't hear Whisenhunt or any Cards players complain at all. The only place you'll ever hear this crap is right here.

bostonfred said:
hey boston fred.. we are good.. at least we dont steal plays and have cameras stealing other teams plays.. thats called an embarrasment.. new england fans.. boston?? NE fan.. pitt hater cuz we rocked you badly in NE
You getting a ring too?

Despite a few indignant posters here and elsewhere on the Internet, I strongly doubt the calls in this game will be questioned in the media the way the Seattle game was. I haven't heard a single complaint on any television channel, either by Cardinals players or sports journalists.Remember, last time almost immediately several reporters questioned the outcome. And then Mike Holgrem, in a move that made me lose so much of the respect I had for him, gave the controversy legitimacy by calling the outcome bogus in front of Seattle fans. IMO, it was a shameful move.None of that's going to happen this time. You won't hear Whisenhunt or any Cards players complain at all. The only place you'll ever hear this crap is right here.
So, you believe it was a well-officiated game?

Despite a few indignant posters here and elsewhere on the Internet, I strongly doubt the calls in this game will be questioned in the media the way the Seattle game was. I haven't heard a single complaint on any television channel, either by Cardinals players or sports journalists.

Remember, last time almost immediately several reporters questioned the outcome. And then Mike Holgrem, in a move that made me lose so much of the respect I had for him, gave the controversy legitimacy by calling the outcome bogus in front of Seattle fans. IMO, it was a shameful move.

None of that's going to happen this time. You won't hear Whisenhunt or any Cards players complain at all. The only place you'll ever hear this crap is right here.
Couple guys on SC were talking about why the last play didn't get reviewed.

Despite a few indignant posters here and elsewhere on the Internet, I strongly doubt the calls in this game will be questioned in the media the way the Seattle game was. I haven't heard a single complaint on any television channel, either by Cardinals players or sports journalists.Remember, last time almost immediately several reporters questioned the outcome. And then Mike Holgrem, in a move that made me lose so much of the respect I had for him, gave the controversy legitimacy by calling the outcome bogus in front of Seattle fans. IMO, it was a shameful move.None of that's going to happen this time. You won't hear Whisenhunt or any Cards players complain at all. The only place you'll ever hear this crap is right here.
True, there hasn't been much by the reporters and this wasn't nearly as poor as the Seahawks game. I have a lot of respect for Wisenhunt and the Arizona players. They took the loss with great dignity.

So, you believe it was a well-officiated game?
I honestly don't think it was that bad. They took away the first TD for the Steelers, and I thought that call was right. They also ruled that Warner's arm was going forward, and I thought they got that right too. I didn't like the call on running into the place-kicker, but in the end that didn't affect the game any. What other game-changing calls were there? None that I could see.

Tim-That fumble/incomplete pass should have been reviewed, this is the Superbowl after all.

Regardless of all the dooshes that want to go fishing, props go out to the Cardinals this year and all of their fans. I have nothing but respect for Zona and if there was one team I wouldnt mind losing to, it was the Cards. Warner, Fitz, James, etc are nothing but class acts and I hope that they can duplicate this next year. Ive heard alot of good stories this year and I hope that most other teams can follow suit.

God willing, if there was one team I would want to play in the Bowl next year, it would be the Cards. These last two weeks have been fun and the Cards are a class act and realize the same back.

Tim-That fumble/incomplete pass should have been reviewed, this is the Superbowl after all.
They said they did. Actually, I'm not sure it would have been overturned. But I agree with you, if it wasn't reviewed it should have been.Still, to suggest that this lack of review means the Steelers were handed a bogus victory is absurd, don't you think?One of the reasons so many people pointed to the bad calls in that Seahawk Superbowl is, let's face it, it was an awful game. An ugly game. This game, on the other hand, was one of the most exciting games I can ever remember.

Great 4th qtr here.
:confused: After all the #####ing you've done.

I wasn't suspended, believe it or not, I just realized that I could spend my time in a manner that would benefit society. I loved the part where you #####ed about the refs.

0-16.

So you are still selling Amway then? I miss you in the FFA, it's like you were never there. :confused:
Awwww....isn't that sweet, your dedication to the MEN in the FFA. I wasn't given a time out, I decided to stay away from the FFA...I prefer discussion with real people rather than the pretend folks.Since the end of the this years Super Bowl, I've saw 14 of my friends out the door (all happy that the Steelers won), screwed the hell outta my wife (she's blissfully asleep), and just finished cleaning up from the party.

Right now, I just feel sorry for people like you. I tried the online thing, but it never really transpired for me...I prefer real people rather than the fake crap one finds online.

Enjoy your lonely online life.

Great 4th qtr here.

0-16.

So you are still selling Amway then? I miss you in the FFA, it's like you were never there. :confused:
Awwww....isn't that sweet, your dedication to the MEN in the FFA. I wasn't given a time out, I decided to stay away from the FFA...I prefer discussion with real people rather than the pretend folks.Since the end of the this years Super Bowl, I've saw 14 of my friends out the door (all happy that the Steelers won), screwed the hell outta my wife (she's blissfully asleep), and just finished cleaning up from the party.

Right now, I just feel sorry for people like you. I tried the online thing, but it never really transpired for me...I prefer real people rather than the fake crap one finds online.

5 STARS!

Great 4th qtr here.

0-16.

You must be a two pump chump

Al Michaels said it WAS reviewed upstairs...i think the sound on your tv is broken, maybe you didn't hear him say that before the last snap.

Great 4th qtr here.

0-16.

5 STARS!
fail

Great 4th qtr here.
:P After all the #####ing you've done.

0-16.

So you are still selling Amway then? I miss you in the FFA, it's like you were never there. :shrug:

5 STARS!
fail
You had only one star before my ranking, I think you are really neato. :popcorn:

thatguy said:
CrossEyed said:
thatguy said:
poopdawg said:
thatguy said:
belljr said:
Don said:
His knee lands on Fitzgerald but his helmut lands in the endzone before the ball crosses the line. BLOWN CALL. Should be 1st and goal from the 2 inch line with 1 second left.
Helmet does not make a player down...
Yes it does.
Check the rulebook pal. Youre dead wrong here. Thanks for playing though.
I'm fairly certain a player is down if any part of his body other than his hands or his feet touch the ground - that would include his helmet. Could be wrong, but I don't think so. If you have a link that proves otherwise, please provide.
I'd have to look at it again, but his helmet hit in the endzone so a pretty good chance the ball had already broke the plane.
I'm not really arguing the play, I'm arguing the rule. As far as I'm concerned, Harrison was in before his helmet touched the ground.
After checking on TIVO the ball was not over the goal line. However, there was 1 or 2 seconds left on the clock. If they get 3 points instead of 7 there we are heading into overtime.
:shrug: I couldn't tell for sure, but it looked doubtful to me. Not enough to overturn, but enough to give more to whine about.
After looking at it again I think it was a TD. Harrison's arm looked like the football in the angle I looked at before. However, the 2 handed shove in Hightowers back, that's another story.

Congrats Poopdawg, Ahrn, Evilgrin, Franknbeans, Jerk, Tim, Brynam, and even sheriff 66 on the Steelers win. You too Helltoupee, hell congrats to Cross Eyed. He's a great guy but an awful sports homer, doesn't mean he shouldn't have a great night. :kicksrock:
Thanks, DD!I'm staying away from specific complaints over individual plays this year, at least until some time passes.

I do have two general comments, however.

One question to those of you who feel compelled to attempt to illegitimize the Steelers Super Bowls: Why? How does it improve your quality of life? Do you go through each day looking to cheapen and belittle other people's accomplishments face to face, or is it just a message board thing? I feel sorry for you.

Many posters own themselves by not understanding all details of a rule. People seem to be in such a hurry to express outrage that they fail to examine the nuances involved with what happened on the field. An example of this from SB XLIII is the "arm was going forward" argument concerning Warner's final pass attempt. It's one thing to state your opinion of what you saw and what the rule is while the game is ongoing, but hours after the game I'm still reading people who claim Warner's fumble was an incorrect ruling.

Former referee Jerry Markbreit addresses the issue of control of the ball and the arm moving forward in this January 16, 2007 article from the Chicago Tribune

The determination of pass versus fumble has nothing to do with the hit being made on the quarterback. Regardless of why the arm comes forward with the ball in control, the play is ruled a forward pass. If the arm comes forward with the ball not in control, even if the ball goes forward, the play will be ruled a fumble. The referee is focused on the arm of the quarterback, and it is his decision whether it is a pass or fumble.
The ruling of fumble or incomplete pass is made based on whether the QB has control of the ball as his arm moves forward. Live, it appeared to me immediately that the play was a fumble, but of course I appreciated the replay that was shown. The slower speed replay clearly showed the ball being punched out before the arm moved forward. It seems that only a small minority of posters understand that the reason that a lengthy booth review did not occur is because the first replay conclusively showed that the right call was made.As I said, I'm not going to go over call by call, as I've learned that most posters won't admit that they may have been even slightly mistaken and they rather like having an axe to grind.

"whatever"

Interesting that the Steelers have always been known for running the ball and defense and they now have 3 of the 6 WRs that have ever been SB MVP.

Then you have Bradshaw with 2 of the other 3 MVPs.

Interesting day for the Judge.

$200 in wagers. $100 Parlay Cards to the under in the first half, last on that last play. Just freakin' tackle Harrison, will ya? Before that, big prop bet that Heath Miller would score first TD. Of course he takes it to the ONE twice and doesn't get in.

That being said, thoroughly satisfying Superbowl. Do I think the refs were a little one-sided? Yeah. Some real ticky tack calls, including that horrible roughing the passer call? Did it cost the Cardinals the game? Nope. I loved the fact that so many people stepped up. Warner and Fitz did themselves proud. Boldin contributed. Edge and Hightower showed some nifty moves. And for the most part the D played pretty well. That being said, Ben and Santonio, among others, stepped up big time with the game on the line. Nobody can question Ben as a leader in big games. Sure, Santonio made a great catch on that final TD, but Ben threw a PERFECT pass. Feel bad that one team had to lose. Whisenhunt - I was as impressed with his post game interview as I am with him as a coach. Solid. Good for Tomlin. Good for the Rooney's. Bottom line - the play at the end of the first half was monstrous, and Pitt won in most part because of it. But what a great Superbowl.

Congrats Poopdawg, Ahrn, Evilgrin, Franknbeans, Jerk, Tim, Brynam, and even sheriff 66 on the Steelers win. You too Helltoupee, hell congrats to Cross Eyed. He's a great guy but an awful sports homer, doesn't mean he shouldn't have a great night. :kicksrock:
Thanks, DD!I'm staying away from specific complaints over individual plays this year, at least until some time passes.

I do have two general comments, however.

One question to those of you who feel compelled to attempt to illegitimize the Steelers Super Bowls: Why? How does it improve your quality of life? Do you go through each day looking to cheapen and belittle other people's accomplishments face to face, or is it just a message board thing? I feel sorry for you.

Many posters own themselves by not understanding all details of a rule. People seem to be in such a hurry to express outrage that they fail to examine the nuances involved with what happened on the field. An example of this from SB XLIII is the "arm was going forward" argument concerning Warner's final pass attempt. It's one thing to state your opinion of what you saw and what the rule is while the game is ongoing, but hours after the game I'm still reading people who claim Warner's fumble was an incorrect ruling.

Former referee Jerry Markbreit addresses the issue of control of the ball and the arm moving forward in this January 16, 2007 article from the Chicago Tribune

The determination of pass versus fumble has nothing to do with the hit being made on the quarterback. Regardless of why the arm comes forward with the ball in control, the play is ruled a forward pass. If the arm comes forward with the ball not in control, even if the ball goes forward, the play will be ruled a fumble. The referee is focused on the arm of the quarterback, and it is his decision whether it is a pass or fumble.
The ruling of fumble or incomplete pass is made based on whether the QB has control of the ball as his arm moves forward. Live, it appeared to me immediately that the play was a fumble, but of course I appreciated the replay that was shown. The slower speed replay clearly showed the ball being punched out before the arm moved forward. It seems that only a small minority of posters understand that the reason that a lengthy booth review did not occur is because the first replay conclusively showed that the right call was made.As I said, I'm not going to go over call by call, as I've learned that posters won't admit that they may have been even slightly mistaken and they rather like having an axe to grind.

"whatever"
I think the issue for most of us was how quickly they went to the next play, not whether the call was correct or incorrect. I think they needed to take a longer look at it, that's all. I haven't seen it since the actual play but I'm sure some of teh :wall: will break it down and let us know. I just really had an issue with them moving on so quickly, that's all. In no way do I discount the Steelers Super Bowl win and I hope no one else does either. That last drive was awesome and the Harrison INT return was stellar. They deserved to win and did, nuff said.

Users who are viewing this thread