What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Restaurants have gotten so expensive……also recycling and phone apps (4 Viewers)

Made dinner reservations for Easter Sunday. 25 dollar charge to hold reservation? Interesting. Never heard of that. Seinfeld car rental reservation scene comes to mind. Ha ha
Actually seems reasonable, can see why restaurants would do that esp. on a day like Easter, and the charge isn't excessive if you do have to cancel.
Yep. I actually get the reasoning. It's just my first time getting charged to make an actual reservation.

Last edited:
My daughter has her regulars that come in and request her. One couple comes in every week or so and they usually throw a $100 on top of their tab (which is usually only like $40), She has another old war vet guy that comes in with his caretaker. He left ten $2 bills as his tip last week. :lmao:

And another :thumbup: for our local McCallister's Deli. Four entree's with 3 waters and one large sweet tea, $60 including tip. This thread has made me really focus on food bills when we eat out which has dropped off to next to never thanks to food prices.

Do they still have loaded baked potatoes with all kinds of savory goodness in them? Man, nobody does that out here. I used to love those at McCallister's in MS.

This is all spot on - at some point it will come crashing down. The average Joe just can't keep this going forever.
Will it though? Or is pricing just finally getting to where it needs to be to pay somebody a living wage that works in the food service industry? If you want to bump minimum wage for these jobs to offer something respectable, the cost of product has to rise to cover that. I think we are seeing a leveling that may dip some but I wouldn't anticipate it crashing any time soon.

When did restaurant jobs and fast food jobs become a career or a way to raise a family?

Those jobs should be for kids, elderly, and people looking to work part time.
I was watching the news yesterday and they were interviewing someone that owned 7 McDonald's franchise in California. With the new $20 minimum wage for fast food workers, she will be closing 4 of those locations. Sad, but an economic reality.

I wonder what she makes an hour. Not trying to be condescending or anything, I am genuinely curious how much a franchise owner makes.

Have had servers remind me to tip on the reservation charge.
That’s because it comes off your total bill. We do $10/person for parties over 6. So a 10 top will have a $100 deposit that comes off your bill.

OK, that makes sense. I have never encountered this before and doesn't that put the server in an awkward spot to ask the table to remember the tip needs to encompass the removed deposit?

Wait, what? Walk me through this. I've never heard anything like this nor have I encountered a server with the audacity to ask for an extra tip.
Sure. You want a reservation for our busy day. You pay $50 for the deposit on the reservation.

You have a wonderful meal that comes out to $200. But we apply the deposit credit so your bill appears to be 150. You tip 20% on 150 it's $30 but the actual 20% should be $40

Last edited:
That’s because it comes off your total bill. We do $10/person for parties over 6. So a 10 top will have a $100 deposit that comes off your bill.

OK, that makes sense. I have never encountered this before and doesn't that put the server in an awkward spot to ask the table to remember the tip needs to encompass the removed deposit?
Yep. Super awkward. There’s verbiage that works, but there’s always a touch of weirdness to it

Wait, what? Walk me through this. I've never heard anything like this nor have I encountered a server with the audacity to ask for an extra tip.
Sure. You want a reservation for our busy day. You pay $50 for the deposit on the reservation.

You have a wonderful meal that comes out to $200. But we apply the deposit credit so your bill appears to be 150. You tip 20% on 150 it's $30 but the actual 20% should be $40

No, I get it now. Culdeus was lacking in details, but Raiders cleared it up for me.

Still think that's an awkward conversation for a server to have to have.

No, I get it now. Culdeus was lacking in details, but Raiders cleared it up for me.

I didn't mean to imply they were asking for extra tip. They just want to make sure you don't miss the top line number. It is still off putting and as a rule I avoid those places where possible because I've been double charged.

When figuring out the double charge for the res fee later called the restaurant they ended up screwing up and killing the actual bill and not the res fee. Oops.

Carbone in Vegas tonight was $1,015 including tip for a dinner for 6.

Many of the dishes were shared and the portions were appropriately matched to our table size. Maybe this is the price point where doing this is worth the inconvenience.

I didn't mean to imply they were asking for extra tip. They just want to make sure you don't miss the top line number. It is still off putting and as a rule I avoid those places where possible because I've been double charged.

When figuring out the double charge for the res fee later called the restaurant they ended up screwing up and killing the actual bill and not the res fee. Oops.
I don't get it. Seems easy for server to say "You can see here we applied your reservation hold to the bill. Take our time, I'll grab this when it looks ready. Anything else I can get you?"

Wait, so are you saying I can add any amount to the res fee as a “tip”, and have that deducted from my bill pre-tip calculation? So I could in theory tip the entirety of my anticipated bill, and pay 20-40% of nothing as tip?

As an aside, do most people calculate tip pre-tax (technically correct, AFAIK)?

Wait, so are you saying I can add any amount to the res fee as a “tip”, and have that deducted from my bill pre-tip calculation? So I could in theory tip the entirety of my anticipated bill, and pay 20-40% of nothing as tip?

The res fee generally shows as a subtracted line item, this reduces the total bill so if you forgot this a server doesn't want to miss out.

Most tip calculators fold tax into the calculator I've seen which is infuriating also.

The res fee generally shows as a subtracted line item, this reduces the total bill so if you forgot this a server doesn't want to miss out.

Most tip calculators fold tax into the calculator I've seen which is infuriating also.
I mean yes but you can also just knock off like 2% to account for tax when it does that.

I mean yes but you can also just knock off like 2% to account for tax when it does that.
That's really why 18 is the default option or just double the tax and round to the nearest 00 doing it manually

That's really why 18 is the default option or just double the tax and round to the nearest 00 doing it manually
Triple the tax for 18%. We are 6% :P

Made dinner reservations for Easter Sunday. 25 dollar charge to hold reservation? Interesting. Never heard of that. Seinfeld car rental reservation scene comes to mind. Ha ha
Actually seems reasonable, can see why restaurants would do that esp. on a day like Easter, and the charge isn't excessive if you do have to cancel.
Has become more and more common- especially with all these apps. People will make 3 or 4 reservations for the same time and then just see what they feel like eating when the time comes. It's very rude and costs the restaurants money.

We pay more in taxes in Texas than California does overall but deny it.

Property taxes are absurd too, but hey! No state income tax!

I don't get it. Seems easy for server to say "You can see here we applied your reservation hold to the bill. Take our time, I'll grab this when it looks ready. Anything else I can get you?"
It is that easy. But not all servers are created equal. And not all guests are either. A timid/shy server vs a drunk bunch of dudes or a cackling group of women might struggle to communicate what’s what with the bill.

No. The reservation deposit is just that, a deposit that is applied to your bill. Say it was a 100 deposit. And your total bill was 500. Apply the deposit and it’s now 400. The server wants a tip on the 500 number.

I would say more people tip on the tax than not. No one likes math

Having actually moved from SF to Texas and calculated my tax burden, we do not pay more taxes in TX, even with higher property tax rate, if for no other reason than property value is so much lower. CA was taking 10% of my income. That dwarfed my property tax.

There are many left leaning and right leaning articles that argue tax burden and both use totally cherry picked situations.

Depending on the specific situation, if could be higher or lower in either. If you don't own property in CA and have a low income, it's probably way lower. If you have a remotely high income, Texas is WAY cheaper tax wise.

Having actually moved from SF to Texas and calculated my tax burden, we do not pay more taxes in TX, even with higher property tax rate, if for no other reason than property value is so much lower. CA was taking 10% of my income. That dwarfed my property tax.

There are many left leaning and right leaning articles that argue tax burden and both use totally cherry picked situations.

Depending on the specific situation, if could be higher or lower in either. If you don't own property in CA and have a low income, it's probably way lower. If you have a remotely high income, Texas is WAY cheaper tax wise.

California is an outlier for taxes. In no way was I suggesting California is cheaper than Texas to live or own property.

But the property tax rate in Texas is pretty high and can offset the savings in state income tax.

Oregon has a stupid high state tax rate but property taxes are reasonable and there's no sales tax.

They get you one way or the other but California is just asinine.

No. The reservation deposit is just that, a deposit that is applied to your bill. Say it was a 100 deposit. And your total bill was 500. Apply the deposit and it’s now 400. The server wants a tip on the 500 number.

I would say more people tip on the tax than not. No one likes math
Ok, that makes sense. Similar to using a gift card, or other discount, but tipping on the whole bill.

I love math, but always tip on the total bill (dropping the zero, and doubling for 20%), then round up to the next 1 or 5 dollar increment.

California fast food workers get $20 an hour minimum starting tomorrow. Tons of layoffs (especially delivery drivers), rush to automate with self service counter and food workers with robotics. Prices will rise too.

California fast food workers get $20 an hour minimum starting tomorrow. Tons of layoffs (especially delivery drivers), rush to automate with self service counter and food workers with robotics. Prices will rise too.
Gotta think most were close to $20 an hour anyways weren’t they? I mean I live in Maine and the McDonalds down the street starts at $18. California must pay atleast that.

And another :thumbup: for our local McCallister's Deli. Four entree's with 3 waters and one large sweet tea, $60 including tip. This thread has made me really focus on food bills when we eat out which has dropped off to next to never thanks to food prices.

Do they still have loaded baked potatoes with all kinds of savory goodness in them? Man, nobody does that out here. I used to love those at McCallister's in MS.
Yes they do, that’s what the wif gets. Two huge potatoes smushed together covered in stuff that totally negates any healthiness associated with ordering a potato.

Curious: do other countries use food delivery as much as the USA? Seems like such an exercise in laziness unique to us. Maybe it would be best for all of us if we stopped eating so much fast food and having our fast food driven to our faces.

No riddle on American obesity epidemic.

Yes they do, that’s what the wif gets. Two huge potatoes smushed together covered in stuff that totally negates any healthiness associated with ordering a potato.

Had forgotten about this, but had lunch with my dad recently. We were talking about a BBQ restaurant I used to work at in Dallas decades ago. He went back to Dallas last summer and was sad to learn that BBQ restaurant was gone. I asked him what he was going to order and without hesitation said "The baked potatoe with pulled pork and all the fixins!".

Completely forgot how popular that was down south. NOBODY offers that in Oregon. Sure, you can get a baked potato as a side, but an entré? Forget about it.

Thinking of retiring and opening a food cart devoted to the loaded baked potato.

Had forgotten about this, but had lunch with my dad recently. We were talking about a BBQ restaurant I used to work at in Dallas decades ago. He went back to Dallas last summer and was sad to learn that BBQ restaurant was gone. I asked him what he was going to order and without hesitation said "The baked potatoe with pulled pork and all the fixins!".

Completely forgot how popular that was down south. NOBODY offers that in Oregon. Sure, you can get a baked potato as a side, but an entré? Forget about it.

Thinking of retiring and opening a food cart devoted to the loaded baked potato.

I keep forgetting I need to try this place

Prices will rise too.
Always have. No matter the technological advancements or the overseas wages or the automation we always pay more.

Yes, Though competition is pretty fierce and of course there's no cartel in average-city-XYZ driving prices up.

But yes, these new min wage laws and regs and Fed labor rules are game-changers. Behind the scenes the biggest chains with the most automation and their costs spread over a higher revenue base push for higher minimum wages to knock down/knock out the smaller guys. I'd haphazardly guess 90% of Fed department rules and regs inside and outside this industry are driven by big corps with the main purpose of squeezing out competition. In the end-- albeit with the inevitable exceptions here and there; with min wage laws in restaurants: larger corporations win, govt wins, mom & pops and workers lose.

Man walkin gin the Roy Rodgers and "picking" your meal as you go down the aisle brings back my childhood.

Users who are viewing this thread