What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Restaurants have gotten so expensive……also recycling and phone apps (3 Viewers)

Customers have been much more demanding since Covid.
How so?
When things started to open up again, there were severe labor and supply chain issues in retail. Now it’s a battle with inflation/prices.
Understood. But how has that tangibly changed the customer’s behavior?
The customer doesn’t want to hear the excuses, or don’t understand why their prices go up.
So they complain when things take longer and/or cost more? To whom?
To anyone they deal with. Why take it out on a cashier or a waitress?
It is an every night thing for my daughter. The host sat the person too slowly--take it out on the server. The food is under cooked=server's fault. My daughter's location is 2-3 miles from a fertilizer distributor and when the wind gets a certain direction, you can smell that place for miles---yep, that's my daughter's fault too according to some reviews.

But I think it is just the nature of customer service in general. My daughter makes money because she tries. Most of her co-workers do not because they do not care and the job just pays for their rent, alcohol and weed use. "Waiting" is a movie from 2005 with a young Ryan Reynolds and a loaded cast, but it really sums up the restaurant industry and is actually really funny.

I feel like if the service window is broken it isn't on the diner to figure out if food died on the pass or was sent out wrong. That falls to the server.

For a two top I also fault the server for bring out courses too fast. Places are in such a hurry to flip tables they just ram plates at you.

I tend to tip in the 30% - 40% range more often that not. Why? To make up for the cheap wads out there tipping 0 - 15%,

The way I see it is on a $100 tab, and extra $10 - $20 is not that big of a deal. But it may be to the person who just served me.
A few weeks ago I went to a little sports bar/restaurant for some food and a couple of beers while my son was at his new Boy Scout troop's meeting. Sat at the bar and the off-duty server who sat next to me and the bartender who served me were both super nice. I ended up tipping like 30-40%.

Ended up going again last night and the same bartender was there. He remembered my name and what I liked to drink, and when I cashed out he informed me that one of the seltzers I got was on him.
This is the way.

I tend to tip in the 30% - 40% range more often that not. Why? To make up for the cheap wads out there tipping 0 - 15%,

The way I see it is on a $100 tab, and extra $10 - $20 is not that big of a deal. But it may be to the person who just served me.
I can't get behind this Chief.

There are families...plenty of families out there taking their kids out to eat and they are on a very tight budget. And if they tip 15% they are doing what they can within their budget.

Me? If I get great service 20-25% no questions asked. But can afford that. Most people....can't. They can afford 15% for someone who did their job.

I think the entire tipping culture is completely out of control and we have another thread for that.

But think about a family of 4 eating at say a Houstons or Alexanders and they get a bill of $200 and that's no alcohol, no deserts no appetizers and drinking tap water with lemon.

Another $30 is heavy. And that is 15% and that is a damn good tip for taking an order, keeping waters filled and getting the food out. Imagine that server serving 15 tables on a shift $375 in tips times 5 days a week not working doubles. $7500 a month before tax. Houstons and Alexanders are always packed....and expensive as far as dining. Average plate is between $22-$60 depending on what you get not including apps, drinks, desert etc.

That's not being a cheap wad. That's living within your means and taking your family out for a nice meal once in a while.

It has gotten very expensive to eat out for families. Like really expensive.

Now go to a Texas Roadhouse.....early dine is now $11.99 times 4 plus apps and drinks you're looking at 70-80 bucks? You drop down another $12 for a 15% tip....that's not being cheap. Thats doing your part. And if that server kicks all kinds of *** push it up to 15/16 bucks.....they turn over a ton of tables in that place. Servers do well there.

It's all relative.

Local breakfast joint.....I leave more on smaller tickets because let's be real the tips suck at breakfast joints.

Hey if want to leave 30-40% god bless you. It's a free country....and I have left 30% for exceptional service above and beyond the normal scope.

15-20% you are absolutely doing your part. Under 15% the service has to be garbage for that to happen with me.

Last edited:
Fast casual taco place in my hometown, local owned, staple of the town type of establishment. Over the years I've had every item on the menu numerous times, I know what's good, and I've settled on a "standard order" 90% of the time I go there. Order at the counter, they call your number and hand you a tray and empty cup, fountain machine in the dining area. No servers to tip, and signs on the wall saying no tips allowed.

Two burritos, chips and queso, and a medium lemonade. That's me. I'm 40 years old and have ordered that same combination hundreds of times.

In high school in the late 90's it cost me $7.88. I went there after school probably 3 times per week. That same order last Sunday cost me $16.72.

During COVID they took away the fountain machine in the dining area and nixed the free refills so you have to go buy a new one at the counter. There's a plastic tip jar on the counter at the register, another one at the other end of the counter where you pick up your tray, and the credit card machine defaults to 20% when you swipe and you get a dirty look if you hit the red X on that screen to decline the tip.

Fast casual taco place in my hometown, local owned, staple of the town type of establishment. Over the years I've had every item on the menu numerous times, I know what's good, and I've settled on a "standard order" 90% of the time I go there. Order at the counter, they call your number and hand you a tray and empty cup, fountain machine in the dining area. No servers to tip, and signs on the wall saying no tips allowed.

Two burritos, chips and queso, and a medium lemonade. That's me. I'm 40 years old and have ordered that same combination hundreds of times.

In high school in the late 90's it cost me $7.88. I went there after school probably 3 times per week. That same order last Sunday cost me $16.72.

During COVID they took away the fountain machine in the dining area and nixed the free refills so you have to go buy a new one at the counter. There's a plastic tip jar on the counter at the register, another one at the other end of the counter where you pick up your tray, and the credit card machine defaults to 20% when you swipe and you get a dirty look if you hit the red X on that screen to decline the tip.
Screw them.

Also a new trend now in family owned eateries....that jack up your bill 3-4% for not paying cash.

Welp.....screw you too. You lost me.

Tip creep is a real thing. When I was a young adult it was 10-15% in a sit down restaurant. 15% was a good tip. Then it went to 15-20% with 20% being a good tip. Now 20% seems to be the minimum acceptable rate with 25-30% being a good tip. These tips are all on much higher bills and many states mandating paying tipped staff much higher minimum wages than before.
During Covid everyone was feeling bad for restaurants having to shut dining service and being able to only offer takeout. With the stimulus checks coming, most were tossing these restaurants 20% minimum (some much more) on takeout orders just to keep things going. Fantastic, I was doing that too. Now it seems like that has become a push towards the new norm and everyone else is trying to get in on the gravy train too. It’s exhausting getting a tip screen after every transaction, getting the stink eye from the employee and then wondering if you’re getting a rectum finger in your coffee cake.

There are families...plenty of families out there taking their kids out to eat and they are on a very tight budget. And if they tip 15% they are doing what they can within their budget.

Me? If I get great service 20-25% no questions asked. But can afford that. Most people....can't. They can afford 15% for someone who did their job.

I think the entire tipping culture is completely out of control and we have another thread for that.

But think about a family of 4 eating at say a Houstons or Alexanders and they get a bill of $200 and that's no alcohol, no deserts no appetizers and drinking tap water with lemon.

Another $25 is heavy. And that is 15% and that is a damn good tip for taking an order, keeping waters filled and getting the food out. Imagine that server serving 15 tables on a shift $375 in tips times 5 days a week not working doubles. $7500 a month before tax. Houstons and Alexanders are always packed....and expensive as far as dining. Average plate is between $22-$60 depending on what you get not including apps, drinks, desert etc.

That's not being a cheap wad. That's living within your means and taking your family out for a nice meal once in a while.

Now go to a Texas Roadhouse.....early dine is now $11.99 times 4 plus apps and drinks you're looking at 70-80 bucks? You drop down another $12 for a 15% tip....that's not being cheap. Thats doing your part. And if that server kicks all kinds of *** push it up to 15/16 bucks.....they turn over a ton of tables in that place. Servers do well there.

It's all relative.

Local breakfast joint.....I leave more on smaller tickets because let's be real the tips suck at breakfast joints.

Hey if want to leave 30-40% god bless you. It's a free country....and I have left 30% for exceptional service above and beyond the normal scope.

15-20% you are absolutely doing your part. Under 15% the service has to be garbage for that to happen with me.

Tipping is a different topic. People should tip what they are comfortable tipping and relative to the service given. As I stated before a served getting me a coffee for 3 bucks or a bourbon on the rocks for 15 are doing the same thing.

Should one get a dollar tip and the other a 5 dollar tip for one trip? Many times I just order water for an early dinner, so instead of my bar tab with dinner being 25-30 dollars it is zero yet served filled my water twice.

I tip the server more in the diner type places where they are all busting it for 10-20 dollar tabs

To me, if you can't afford to go out and that means accounting for tipping, then you don't go out. If your budget is so tight that 20% tip threatens it then you should not be going out. When I was kid, we only went out to eat 3-4x a year and it was a special occasion only.

I think I'm going to start tipping nurses (teachers too if I had kids). If anybody deserves a tip jar, it's them. I dont know why we ended up where the restaurant industry is the one that gets our extra money. Nurses and teachers provide us with a much more important service, are also underpaid, and have to deal with just as much if not way more crap.
Have you looked at the wages each of those professions get?
No idea on teachers here but our nurses start at $32 an hour. We’ve had more than a handful quit nursing and go back to serving/bartending because they made more money doing that. A bunch more nursing per diem and serving a couple nights a week.

I think I'm going to start tipping nurses (teachers too if I had kids). If anybody deserves a tip jar, it's them. I dont know why we ended up where the restaurant industry is the one that gets our extra money. Nurses and teachers provide us with a much more important service, are also underpaid, and have to deal with just as much if not way more crap.
Have you looked at the wages each of those professions get?
In my state 3.93 per hour for waitstaff. Basically living off of their tips, not their work.

Customers have been much more demanding since Covid.
How so?
When things started to open up again, there were severe labor and supply chain issues in retail. Now it’s a battle with inflation/prices.
Understood. But how has that tangibly changed the customer’s behavior?
The customer doesn’t want to hear the excuses, or don’t understand why their prices go up.
So they complain when things take longer and/or cost more? To whom?
To anyone they deal with. Why take it out on a cashier or a waitress?
It is an every night thing for my daughter. The host sat the person too slowly--take it out on the server. The food is under cooked=server's fault. My daughter's location is 2-3 miles from a fertilizer distributor and when the wind gets a certain direction, you can smell that place for miles---yep, that's my daughter's fault too according to some reviews.

But I think it is just the nature of customer service in general. My daughter makes money because she tries. Most of her co-workers do not because they do not care and the job just pays for their rent, alcohol and weed use. "Waiting" is a movie from 2005 with a young Ryan Reynolds and a loaded cast, but it really sums up the restaurant industry and is actually really funny.
No doubt the waitstaff gets the most abuse unless they sit at the bar, then the bartenders do.
Not really. And they can always placate them with free booze

If i'm at a bar I always tip like $3/$4 on my first drink, then $1 per drink after. I get their attention up front, then by the end of the night it averages out to about $1.17 per drink haha this is where having Cash comes in handy

Another $25 is heavy. And that is 15% and that is a damn good tip for taking an order, keeping waters filled and getting the food out. Imagine that server serving 15 tables on a shift $375 in tips times 5 days a week not working doubles. $7500 a month before tax. Houstons and Alexanders are always packed....and expensive as far as dining. Average plate is between $22-$60 depending on what you get not including apps, drinks, desert etc.

It's all relative.

If it’s not in the budget, don’t go to Houston’s or anywhere else that breaks the bank. $25 on $200 isn’t 15%.

And that server at Houston’s isn’t getting a bunch of zero maintenance $200+ tables. They’ll get just as many or more 1app/1entree deuces at $40-$60. They’re also most likely not getting 15 tables, maybe 10-12. Servers at higher end places usually have smaller stations. Usually 5 or less tables. 3+ turns is rare at higher price points.

To me, if you can't afford to go out and that means accounting for tipping, then you don't go out. If your budget is so tight that 20% tip threatens it then you should not be going out. When I was kid, we only went out to eat 3-4x a year and it was a special occasion only.

Oh come on. What's the difference there vs someone that doesn't drink or order every course?

Oh come on. What's the difference there vs someone that doesn't drink or order every course?
Are you asking me? My point was, if you can't afford to go out to eat, then don't.

Yer crazy. Really are you kidding me?

If someone budgets 15% more for a tip they absolutely can and should enjoy a meal out.

What the?????

It's all relative.

If it’s not in the budget, don’t go to Houston’s or anywhere else that breaks the bank. $25 on $200 isn’t 15%.

And that server at Houston’s isn’t getting a bunch of zero maintenance $200+ tables. They’ll get just as many or more 1app/1entree deuces at $40-$60. They’re also most likely not getting 15 tables, maybe 10-12. Servers at higher end places usually have smaller stations. Usually 5 or less tables. 3+ turns is rare at higher price points.
$30 my bad.

Look you all can sit here and play semantics.....there are 1000's of people going to Houston's and tipping 15%.....whether you like it or not.

There are no financial rules for people to take their family out for a nice dinner for a birthday or special occasion and they tip 15%

Again.....it's your opinion not some fact that people who tip 15 or even 20% can't afford to eat out

95% of people who eat out tip 15-20% on average.

This is not some revelation.

Tip creep is a real thing. When I was a young adult it was 10-15% in a sit down restaurant. 15% was a good tip. Then it went to 15-20% with 20% being a good tip. Now 20% seems to be the minimum acceptable rate with 25-30% being a good tip. These tips are all on much higher bills and many states mandating paying tipped staff much higher minimum wages than before.
During Covid everyone was feeling bad for restaurants having to shut dining service and being able to only offer takeout. With the stimulus checks coming, most were tossing these restaurants 20% minimum (some much more) on takeout orders just to keep things going. Fantastic, I was doing that too. Now it seems like that has become a push towards the new norm and everyone else is trying to get in on the gravy train too. It’s exhausting getting a tip screen after every transaction, getting the stink eye from the employee and then wondering if you’re getting a rectum finger in your coffee cake.
I have pushed back strong on this tip guilt BS.

**** em and GTFO my lawn.

I am too old to care what anyone thinks anymore and it's ****ing liberating.

**** em
I have too. Sit down restaurants 20%. If I didn’t tip you 10 years ago, I’m not tipping you today.

If someone budgets 15% more for a tip they absolutely can and should enjoy a meal out.

What the?????
if 20% makes it break the budget, then yes you shouldn't be going out to eat.

It's all relative.

$30 my bad.

Look you all can sit here and play semantics.....there are 1000's of people going to Houston's and tipping 15%.....whether you like it or not.

There are no financial rules for people to take their family out for a nice dinner for a birthday or special occasion and they tip 15%

Again.....it's your opinion not some fact that people who tip 15 or even 20% can't afford to eat out

95% of people who eat out tip 15-20% on average.

This is not some revelation.
95% is high. I’d put it closer to 80%.

You’re the one who was saying that the extra 30 bucks was hard on some folks. I’m simply saying don’t go out and put themselves in a position where they have to choose between tipping the server or being comfortable financially.

We went out maybe 3-4 times a year when I was kid. Because money was tight. And we weren’t going anywhere with $60 dollar entrees.

**** em
I have too. Sit down restaurants 20%. If I didn’t tip you 10 years ago, I’m not tipping you today.
Me too. And I’m in the biz

What the?????
You sir are in a different galaxy of reality.

And I am not speaking for myself.....I could tip whatever I want and it would not break me.

I guess 95% of country should stay home and only the top 5% can afford to go out an eat according to your life advice.

Ok man. You keep preaching that.

What the?????

And I am not speaking for myself.....I could tip whatever I want and it would not break me.

I guess 95% of country should stay home and only the top 5% can afford to go out an eat according to your life advice.

Like it or hate it 20% is the unofficial established minimum. If you can't swing this financially then technically you cant afford to eat out.

Don’t tip so high and you can afford new garage cabinets instead of peg boards. :wink:
:<_<:

Don’t tip so high and you can afford new garage cabinets instead of peg boards. :wink:
I just realized if I go down to 15% my table can share an additional bagel sandwich.

I just realized if I go down to 15% my table can share an additional bagel sandwich.
:lmao::lmao:

We’re learning!

What the?????

I live in a different reality? You're intimating that for many families 15% is in the budget but 20% isn't. That's 5 bucks on a 100 tab. If 5 dollars breaks your budget then you clearly should not be going out to a sit down restaurant.

What the?????

Like it or hate it 20% is the unofficial established minimum. If you can't swing this financially then technically you cant afford to eat out.
Yer wrong sorry....people are laying down 15% every night at restaurants and will continue to do so.

This idea is a fallacy until the day comes they make it mandatory and add it to your bill (not parites of 6-8 or more kinda thing).

Let me know when that happens.

Because once it does you will see the business change. And not for the better.

I dare the restaurant industry to try it out and watch what happens to their margins and traffic on a giant scale. And I am not talking about fine 5 star restaurants. I am talking your everyday neighborhood bar and grills, family Italian places, local sushi joints etc etc etc. large chains like Carrabas, Outback, Etc etc

Anyway I think we beat it to death and I think it's ridiculous that a 15% tip (service fee) is now supposedly frowned upon. Inflation has also raised that 15% commensurate with the rise in food prices.

There are different levels of this business too. And BTW my wife was a great server and bartender for 6 years when we first met and Into our first 4 years of our marriage.

I personally still know some mature servers who do extremely well at higher end restaurants and regularly average between 15-18% a table on big ticket meals and they don't complain. They make 20-25% too and sometimes the whopper client at 30%.

20% is certainly not the new minimum expectation down here in South Florida that I can tell you.

If that is what servers expect they better think again. 15% is the minimum......still. No matter how hard they want to push it 20

What the?????

I live in a different reality? You're intimating that for many families 15% is in the budget but 20% isn't. That's 5 bucks on a 100 tab. If 5 dollars breaks your budget then you clearly should not be going out to a sit down restaurant.
You act like people go out once a year.

Multiply it times 3-4 meals out a week like some families do. Yes they can afford it and yes they will tip what they want to save some money.

Yeah get with reality.

Saving $950 to $1500 a year matters for some people.

What the?????

What stinks is I’ve always given 20% as the tip, but that used to be a good tip, I felt generous. Now when I leave 20% I’m kind of labeled as a cheapskate I think. 25-30% is now the good tip category and I suspect before long that will be the minimum and 40% will be a good tip.

What the?????

i don't know......i mean, arbitrarily having society tell me what i am supposed to do kind of makes me sad. why is 20% the mark? is it variable actually based on quality service and experience? 20% is affordable, but what is and isn't affordable nowadays and to whom and to what region, etc. There are so many variables, that i personally just won't buy into the automatic tip culture. At what point does someone arbitrarily tell us that 25% is the standard and if you can't afford that then don't eat out? Maybe people that aren't FBG rich like to go out 1x every 6 months for a special occasion and they can tip 15% on a $100- bill? Are they bad folks? I just hate hate our tipping culture and how it has crept into everything. I am lucky enough to be able to afford eating out and providing a decent tip if warranted; however, i now choose to "dine out" mostly at places with counter service. It's bad enough i'm forced to pay 22% VAT tax in italy, i won't be subject to a 20% usage charge for someone to bring me a couple of plates of food.

What the?????

Yer wrong sorry....people are laying down 15% every night at restaurants and will continue to do so.

This idea is a fallacy until the day comes they make it mandatory and add it to your bill (not parites of 6-8 or more kinda thing).

Let me know when that happens.

Because once it does you will see the business change. And not for the better.

I dare the restaurant industry to try it out and watch what happens to their margins and traffic on a giant scale. And I am not talking about fine 5 star restaurants. I am talking your everyday neighborhood bar and grills, family Italian places, local sushi joints etc etc etc. large chains like Carrabas, Outback, Etc etc

Anyway I think we beat it to death and I think it's ridiculous that a 15% tip (service fee) is now supposedly frowned upon. Inflation has also raised that 15% commensurate with the rise in food prices.

There are different levels of this business too. And BTW my wife was a great server and bartender for 6 years when we first met and Into our first 4 years of our marriage.

I personally still know some mature servers who do extremely well at higher end restaurants and regularly average between 15-18% a table on big ticket meals and they don't complain. They make 20-25% too and sometimes the whopper client at 30%.

20% is certainly not the new minimum expectation down here in South Florida that I can tell you.

If that is what servers expect they better think again. 15% is the minimum......still. No matter how hard they want to push it 20

What the?????

You act like people go out once a year.

Multiply it times 3-4 meals out a week like some families do. Yes they can afford it and yes they will tip what they want to save some money.

Yeah get with reality.

Saving $950 to $1500 a year matters for some people.
They’ll save a hell of a lot more going out once a month

What the?????

What stinks is I’ve always given 20% as the tip, but that used to be a good tip, I felt generous. Now when I leave 20% I’m kind of labeled as a cheapskate I think. 25-30% is now the good tip category and I suspect before long that will be the minimum and 40% will be a good tip.
This is just not true

At what point does someone arbitrarily tell us that 25% is the standard and if you can't afford that then don't eat out? Maybe people that aren't FBG rich like to go out 1x every 6 months for a special occasion and they can tip 15% on a $100- bill? Are they bad folks?

This is the arms-race thing I was posting to Joe about over the weekend.

20% guy thinks 15% guy is a cheap jerk. 30% guy sneers at both of them, and millionaires think they're ALL peons. Best just to worry about what you can control -- your own tip to your server.

What the?????

Agreed. If that 5% is hurting you financially, it's stupid to eat out. Save your money and cook at home.

What the?????

While I agree 20-25% has become more normalized there's no reason to feel cheap leaving that as the tip. You're doing your part gb :thumbup:

15% still the standard for me. Moves to 10% or 20% depending on you know, the actual service.

New high end steak house in the new local casino. $85 for a 45-day dry aged 12 ounce ribeye. Sauce extra, sides extra. Cocktails $15-$20. (These types of restaurants we only do a few times a year, but, eat out at least once per week). Server does a great job until a large party comes in after we're served our food and she completely forgets about us. We would have ordered desert and another cocktail, but we must have waited a half hour after finishing our food. Didn't say anything and the floor manager finally saw what was going on and had to go remind her about us. By that time we just wanted to get back to the casino so passed on the desert and second cocktail. $30 tip on a $300 bill.

Well, let's see, it went from 15% to 20% over a course of what, 30 years?

What the?????

Agreed. If that 5% is hurting you financially, it's stupid to eat out. Save your money and cook at home.
Or just go to dinner and tip 15%

What the?????

I think people are confusing being smart with money vs. 5% hurting you financially.

If you can't afford 5% either way for dining out often then yes, financially you should be considering eating out less.

But if you're well off it's probably because you're good with money which means you consider 5% in all of your spending, not just tipping.

Well, let's see, it went from 15% to 20% over a course of what, 30 years?
If it’s a percentage the actual amount will increase over time as menu prices increase. The percentage shouldn’t need to increase unless they are doing more work than they were previously.

What the?????

I think people are confusing being smart with money vs. 5% hurting you financially.

If you can't afford 5% either way for dining out often then yes, financially you should be considering eating out less.

But if you're well off it's probably because you're good with money which means you consider 5% in all of your spending, not just tipping.

If you're well off and don't tip at least 20%, I just consider you cheap. Has little to do with being good with money :shrug:

What the?????

If you're well off and don't tip at least 20%, I just consider you cheap. Has little to do with being good with money :shrug:

Full circle back to what Totem said then:

I think it's ridiculous that a 15% tip (service fee) is now supposedly frowned upon.
I tend to agree.

What the?????

I think it's ridiculous that a 15% tip (service fee) is now supposedly frowned upon.
I tend to agree.
It’s not frowned upon. And I would agree if it were. And if one has a lot of money, it’s a bit lame to not be generous with it. IMHO.

What the?????

I tend to agree.

20% has been the norm since the early 2000s.

What the?????

So just 20% across the board.. even for crappy service? Seems dumb

What the?????

So just 20% across the board.. even for crappy service? Seems dumb

No, I tip more for good/great service. Even if there are issues, I normally resolve them with the waiter. I'm not going to duck someone part of their living wage because they were slow at times or forgot something. I can't remember the last time I had "crappy" service but I rarely eat at fast casual chains where that seems more prevalent.

Users who are viewing this thread