What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Solar Eclipse 2024 (1 Viewer)

I love that all the birds stopped chirping as it happened. They were like "uh... wtf?" They quickly recovered and resumed their nonstop chirping after it was over.

felt dumb not knowing planets would be in alignment, and which ones.
All of them...just not all visible since they are too dim. I posted back a couple pages ago to give a heads up. There was also a comet in view, but it too was too dim. I couldn't find it with my binoculars.

The creepy darkness with the sun not quite blocked was maybe the best part tbh. That was a funny sensation. I was telling people to just look around (BUT NOT AT THE SUN YET).

Iceland 2026 is one of next totality areas.

See total eclipse, a volcano erupting, northern lights all in one day!

I legit thought about this as some friends and I have been talking about a trip to Iceland for the northern lights anyway. But it turns out that you’re very unlikely to see northern lights in August so it will almost certainly be one or the other

Kids and I pulled off I-74 at the Sunman exit, appropriately enough, parked, and set up chairs in front of a closed business about 20 minutes before the totality. We were going to try for a little longer totality in Batesville, but that would’ve been ten more minutes and a more populated exit.

It was awesome. Also, unbeknownst to us, there was a fireworks outlet at that exit too, so they set off a show as well.

Hopped back into the car and beat traffic back to campus to drop my daughter off in time for her evening percussion ensemble rehearsal.

Did have some major ******** this am but all worked out in the end.

Rented Hertz through Expedia, pickup for this am at 7. Get there and already a long line. One hour plus get to front of line and they tell us the rez had been canceled. No call, no email…no cars left.

Haven’t had time to call and complain but oh boy that is coming.

Was able to squeeze into brother’s car but a ***** session of epic proportions is coming.

Rented Hertz through Expedia, pickup for this am at 7. Get there and already a long line. One hour plus get to front of line and they tell us the rez had been canceled. No call, no email…no cars left.

Was able to squeeze into brother’s car but a ***** session of epic proportions is coming.
Not to threadjack but we have been using turo for leisure car rentals last year and a half and could not be more pleased. Exact car you want, cheaper than big rentals, and zero lines. Maybe check the app out.

Out at Hye Meadow Winery outside Fredericksburg, TX. Still lots of clouds, but sun coming out. Hope it stays that way. Starting to see a partial now.
We were just a few miles away at Lewis Wines. Got some great pics up to about 95% as the clouds broke up periodically. Could see the totality but due to overcast skies couldn't get the money shots. Was much better than what I was expecting based on the forecast. Zero traffic in the am but "thank you Waze" for avoiding major traffic coming home.

Queue up Seinfeld clip.

Mind blown.

So interesting. The first bit back was a singularity of intensity on the bottom. Went out with a whisper, in with a boom.

Huge temperature difference. I had to get a coat on after hours in short sleeves.

Amazing how it was both bright out and getting dark out at the same time. Glint off a car in the distance with dusky light.

Then eerie darkness. But I wasn’t looking around much. The corona was intoxicating.

……and just think, one day it will turn into a red giant and consume the earth in about 4 billion years.
Well, there will be no more total eclipses long before that. The moon is slowly moving away from earth, so eventually the moon's apparent size in the sky will not big enough to fully cover the disk of the sun. You only have a few hundred million years before that's an issue...

……and just think, one day it will turn into a red giant and consume the earth in about 4 billion years.
Well, there will be no more total eclipses long before that. The moon is slowly moving away from earth, so eventually the moon's apparent size in the sky will not big enough to fully cover the disk of the sun. You only have a few hundred million years before that's an issue...
Yeah, whatever "Galileo"

Months ago we scheduled a long weekend in Asheville based around seeing a concert last night without realizing the eclipse was same time frame.

Kids really wanted to see the totality, so departed Asheville around 7 AM thinking we had plenty of time. The last stretch on I-75 in norther Kentucky and through Cincinnati gave me some anxiety. Finally got home, but our northern suburban neighborhood was right on the edge of the totality band, and although we were predicted for 100%, I wasn't sure how accurate it was, so we drove further northwest.

This was absolutely incredible and completely surreal.

Congrats to all of you that got to experience totality. Experienced it in 1970 when I was just six and still remember it, then again in 2017.
It is a unique feeling.

It was awesome. Also, unbeknownst to us, there was a fireworks outlet at that exit too, so they set off a show as well.
Did they set the fireworks off during the eclipse?

Congrats to all of you that got to experience totality. Experienced it in 1970 when I was just six and still remember it, then again in 2017.
It is a unique feeling.

Did they set the fireworks off during the eclipse?
Yes. It didn’t get in the “way” of the eclipse though. Sun was much higher. These were maybe expensive backyard type fireworks, certainly not professional grade. About what you’d expect from a place that spelled colossal with a ‘k’.

I saw on the news over the weekend that 1,500 more rental cars were brought into the airport because they were all rented. Glad you got out to Lampassas. We discussed the idea of driving up there but stayed at the winery about 7 miles west of Johnson City. Far from perfect skies but it was good until right after totality.

Users who are viewing this thread