What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

​ 🏛️ ​Official Supreme Court nomination thread - Amy Coney Barrett (1 Viewer)

According to that chart, it looks like starting in about 1960, every single Supreme Court Justice except for Scalia, Thomas, and Alito (edit: and White) have moved to the left as they aged.
Is this supposed to be comforting or what I’m not sure. How many years till Thomas and Alito gettge bug? 

Well, unfortunately, NY and Cali votes DO count a lot less than those in Montana, N and S. Dakota and Idaho -- minority rule --
That is very true.  The question then becomes is that system sustainable, especially considering the economic production these states generate relative to the over-represented states. 

Not picking on you Bruce.  But I do think the Democrats would have done the same thing if all roles were flipped.  I mean, they literally did it before (stood behind an accused rapist and a perjurer)  If you want to argue that they’ve learned their lessons from clinton, fine. But the fact that the party was cool putting him in the White House as the “First Man” and speak at the 2016 Democratic convention, tells me they didn’t.
As Henry alluded to, Clinton was accused of lying about sex under oath, not the other stuff. And the argument was that he should be removed from office for that.

The person who made that argument forcefully and repeatedly was Brett Kavanaugh.

Last edited by a moderator:
So why are you making up a reason he didn't do anything wrong that would also mean he committed perjury?
I think Kavanaugh did do something wrong but didn't interpret that what he did was wrong in the moment ... and therefore was able to compartmentalize the Ford incident as "stupid stuff I used to do".

Perjury is a separate matter here ... I was attempting to make what's not all that earth-shattering of a point: that Ford and Kavanaugh were impacted in very different ways by their encounter.

As Henry alluded to, Clinton was accused of lying about sex under oath, not the other stuff. And the argument was that eh should be removed from office for that.

The person who made that argument forcefully and repeatedly was Brett Kavanaugh.
And the democrats, I believe every single one of them, didn’t feel that perjury merited his removal.  

I think Kavanaugh did do something wrong but didn't interpret that what he did was wrong in the moment ... and therefore was able to compartmentalize the Ford incident as "stupid stuff I used to do".

Perjury is a separate matter here ... I was attempting to make what's not all that earth-shattering of a point: that Ford and Kavanaugh were impacted in very different ways by their encounter.
Kavanaugh didn't just say "I didn't do this."  He said it never happened and nothing like it ever happened.  I'm just wondering why you disbelieve him but still think he thinks he didn't do anything wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Doug B Whoops. Edited to fix a typo.  Think he thinks he didn't do anything wrong.  I have to step away for awhile, didn't want it to look like I didn't read your post.

Not picking on you Bruce.  But I do think the Democrats would have done the same thing if all roles were flipped.  I mean, they literally did it before (stood behind an accused rapist and a perjurer)  If you want to argue that they’ve learned their lessons from clinton, fine. But the fact that the party was cool putting him in the White House as the “First Man” and speak at the 2016 Democratic convention, tells me they didn’t.
I was objecting to the claim in a universe were the Merrick Garland blockade had never happened, a Democratic Senate majority would have refused to hold hearings for a year on a Supreme Court nominee put forth by a Republican President, effectively holding the seat hostage for a year to make it an election issue.  I don’t think that would have happened.  There’s no pattern of behavior suggesting it would.  

Contrast that with the McConnell/Grassley block of Merrick Garland, which was a brand extension of what they were doing to block as many lower court vacancies as possible from being filled, so much so the rules for confirmation had to be changed to allow the courts to do their jobs.  

Are you suggesting that the votes of people from California and New York shouldn't count or count less than other peoples votes?  Consider that these two places are two of the biggest economic engines the world has ever known.   Do they not deserve representation in your view?
 Im saying that whether you win a 1 or 4 million votes It doesnt matter.   They are represented.

Do you not understand how this works?

Maybe a free online hillsdale constitution class or maybe a civics class.   Hth

Kavanaugh didn't just say "I didn't do this."  He said it never happened and nothing like it ever happened.  I'm just wondering why you disbelieve him but still think he didn't do anything wrong.
To repeat, but with more specifity: I think Kavanaugh did do something wrong at a party during the summer of 1982 to Christine Ford.

And the democrats, I believe every single one of them, didn’t feel that perjury merited his removal.  
I have zero problem with Democrats feeling that it does here. Welcome them aboard in agreement with you. If you feel like that as a matter of principle then you still do and others have joined you in that opinion as well. Bully for them and you I'd say.

If I draw a timeout for saying that I hope people listen to victims of sexual assault more than our congressmen and some of the people in this thread have, then so be it.  There has been plenty of tasteless #### said in this thread that makes me nervous about my daughter's future.
I understand what you were you trying to say, but to be honest, it did come across as harsher than what I think you intended.

Well, unfortunately, NY and Cali votes DO count a lot less than those in Montana, N and S. Dakota and Idaho -- minority rule --
The 3.3 million people in Puerto Rico have zero representative votes in the Kavanaugh confirmation.

The 700K people in Washington DC have zero representative votes in the Kavanaugh confirmation.

The 600K people in Wyoming have two representative votes in the Kavanaugh confirmation.

Kavanaugh gets in --Blue Wave Bigger--  Lets just impeach his a$$
He's never going to be removed from office. He's going to be a biased, far right hack as a Justice for years. The worst he'll face is if he goes out in public he'll draw rude, loud protesters. Maybe he'll take his revenge on these peoples causes from the bench as he threatened last week.

Maybe this has been posted, apologies if so:

The 49 Senators who voted 'No' on Kavanaugh represent 181.8 million Americans. The 51 Senators who voted 'Yes' represent 143.2 million.

Maybe this has been posted, apologies if so:

The 49 Senators who voted 'No' on Kavanaugh represent 181.8 million Americans. The 51 Senators who voted 'Yes' represent 143.2 million.
Or to put it another way:

51 Senators who represent 40% of the population will confirm a SCOTUS nominee who has the support of under 40% of the population, and was nominated by a man who came in 2nd in the popular vote.

51 Senators who represent 40% of the population will confirm a SCOTUS nominee who has the support of under 40% of the population, and was nominated by a man who came in 2nd in the popular vote.
Or put another way, duly elected president of the United States nominated someone. And the duly elected senate majority voted to confirm.

Great.  Can't wait to hear this brought up like popular vote for years to come as if it matters one bit.

Or put another way, duly elected president of the United States nominated someone. And the duly elected senate majority voted to confirm.
I think Trump and Kavanaugh are vile human beings and wish they were not in the positions they are, but complaining about the popular vote or derivatives thereof is like complaining your team had more yards on offense but lost the game.

That metric is not how you win so who ####### cares.

I think Trump and Kavanaugh are vile human beings and wish they were not in the positions they are, but complaining about the popular vote or derivatives thereof is like complaining your team had more yards on offense but lost the game.

That metric is not how you win so who ####### cares.
Well its a moral victory.

Im saying that whether you win a 1 or 4 million votes It doesnt matter.   They are represented.

Do you not understand how this works?

Maybe a free online hillsdale constitution class or maybe a civics class.   Hth
LOL, I understand exactly how the system works.  People in small states have votes that count more than those in big states.  For example people in WY have 1 representative for every 586,300 people .  The average in Cal is 1 per 754,283.  The senators are 1 for every 293,054 people in WY and 1 per every 19,625,000 in Cal.  Roughly.  So, I ask you.  Does this seen fair to you?  Do you think this system is sustainable?

As we saw in the 2016 election, just because the left screams the loudest doesn't mean they have the most support.

I guarantee Kavanaugh has the support of most the country.

Two former Yale classmates say they have made several attempts to share text messages raising questions about whether Kavanaugh tried to squash the New Yorker story that made Ramirez's accusations public — and say the FBI did not respond to their calls and written submissions to its web portal.

The text messages involve one potential eyewitness to the incident and the wife of another potential eyewitness.

The texts are a conversation between Kathy Charlton and a mutual friend of Kavanaugh's who, NBC has confirmed, was identified to the FBI by Ramirez as an eyewitness to the incident. NBC News has received no response to multiple attempts to reach the alleged eyewitness for comment.

The story detailing Ramirez’s accusation was published in The New Yorker on Sept. 23. Charlton told NBC News that, in a phone conversation three days earlier, the former classmate told her Kavanaugh had called him and advised him not to say anything "bad" if the press were to call.

Then on September 21, according to the texts, that same person sent Charlton a text accusing her of disclosing their conversation to a reporter. “Hellllllooooo. Don’t F****** TELL PEOPLE BRETT GOT IN TOUCH WITH ME!!! I TOLD YOU AT THE TIME THAT WAS IN CONFIDENCE!!!”

“From the content and all capital letters of the text (the alleged witness) seemed to feel that there was a great deal at stake for Brett if Brett’s fears of exposure ever became public,” Charlton wrote in a statement to the FBI shared with Grassley’s office on Oct. 4.
NBC

- Just more stuff will come out like rotten sausage. And it won't matter because the vote will be over but the confidence in the Court will be permanently damaged.

Users who are viewing this thread