What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

⚽ Soccer Match-day Thread (7 Viewers)

As the owner of both Alonso and Yedlin, that last goal really sucked. No goal for Alonso and an OG for Yedlin. 

:wall:

Oh, and it is getting old having Alonsi draw PKs.  No fantasy points for that. 

Dortmund better hope this is not a harbinger.  33 seconds into the season they have already given up their first goal :)
maybe it was a good harbinger?  Dortmund ran rampant after this winning 4-1 in a game not as close as the score indicates.

Axel Witsel gives Dortmund some real bite they have been missing in the midfield.

As the owner of both Alonso and Yedlin, that last goal really sucked. No goal for Alonso and an OG for Yedlin. 

:wall:

Oh, and it is getting old having Alonsi draw PKs.  No fantasy points for that. 
Drawing a PK does get an assist.  This was one the changes I lobbied for 2 years ago and it was changed for last season (and into this season).  It absolutely should be worth points and is.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I don't understand why Rafa chose to play five Defenders at the back (and nine behind the ball). Yes Sarri likes to keep possession but this Chelsea team is hardly vintage Barcelona,  Manchester City. Pretty cynical.

These are pretty incredible stats when you consider how often this guy gets hurt

==============

Borussia Dortmund‏ @BVBSudtribune

Marco Reus in the Bundesliga: ✓ 100 goals. ✓ 54 assists. ✓ 234 games.

The uniforms in this untied/Spurs game are pretty bad. Almost the same design too? Spurs look like they're wearing aprons. 

Lingard setting up Tottenham's best counters.

Lukaku with 2 great chances, including a sitter but he's not allowed to score vs the top 6.

Jones played almost an hour, no wonder he's hurt.

So down 2-0 and Sanchez for Herrera is ok, Lindelof has to come on because Jones is hurt, and now guess who....  :fro:  for Matic, leaving Lingard on who has been abysmal.

Tottenham with a great game despite a slow start.  Shows you how to put a team away late.  

Smalling, Lingard both horrible.  Lukaku had chances and continued the top 6 narrative.  Fred had moments, I think he will be good.  Jones played an hour so he'll be out a month +.

United are embarrassing.  And I don't know if Jose can fix it.  

Yeah yeah United lol Jose lol and all that mess. Poch is a beast.  Zero transfers, impossible situation with WC players and storming out of the gate with 3 wins.  Excellent job by Tott. 

Yeah yeah United lol Jose lol and all that mess. Poch is a beast.  Zero transfers, impossible situation with WC players and storming out of the gate with 3 wins.  Excellent job by Tott. 
I wouldn't go that far.  I think that win was more indicative of the mess United is than the beast that Poch is.  In fact, they mentioned some stat about how he's done against the top 6 teams in the league in away games and it was really, really bad.  They've been the anti-Liverpool, beating up on the teams they should and losing to the top teams. 

Spurs look like they may stick around again, but I don't care. 

The marriage of Mourinho and United has always held the possibility that two of my least favorites could crash and burn at the same time.  And here we are.  It's glorious.

Tottenham with a great game despite a slow start.  Shows you how to put a team away late.  

Smalling, Lingard both horrible.  Lukaku had chances and continued the top 6 narrative.  Fred had moments, I think he will be good.  Jones played an hour so he'll be out a month +.

United are embarrassing.  And I don't know if Jose can fix it.  
I didn’t get to watch so watching in FF but what I saw early I thought Lingard looked ok.  Lukaku was the one who I thought was poor.  Had chances to put them up a goal or two.  

Not sure if I want Jose to leave now or next summer but whenever he leaves I hope he takes Jones with him.  I hate him.

I care.  I like Mourinho.  :shrug:   

I find him entertaining, even if the soccer is not.
Today was plenty entertaining- the problem is motivating his players and letting them express themselves.  If they only seem motivated against the top teams then he’s doing something (or many somethings) wrong.

I didn’t get to watch so watching in FF but what I saw early I thought Lingard looked ok.  Lukaku was the one who I thought was poor.  Had chances to put them up a goal or two.  

Not sure if I want Jose to leave now or next summer but whenever he leaves I hope he takes Jones with him.  I hate him.
FotMob write up noted Lingard as United's best player. 

(I was working andhave yet to watch the game.)

I actually thought Smalling was OK until he let Lucas in for the 3rd goal.  What's the current thinking as far as he goes?

The whole team just looks bad.  Can't hang onto the ball to save their lives.  And if you didn't already know Pogba, Lukaku and Alexis were ~top-tier players you'd never figure it out watching them play for United.

My take on United/Jose

I think that Jose doesn’t have a clue how to coach offensive football.  He isn’t in the same universe as Pep/Klopp/Poch and maybe Sarri (jury is out).

The problem is that Jose wants to have a defensive team and he doesn’t have the players for it.  His back four is a train wreck.  One reason I predicted them to collapse is that if you look at their expected goals against, DeGea saved their bacon a million times last year and I didn’t see that continuing.  

As crazy as it is, I think Woodward is at fault too.  You don’t hire a defensive coach and refuse to support him in the transfer market.  Look at how VVD changed Pool.  Jose wanted an elite CB and didn’t get one. 

I think many (myself included) thought that if you combine United money with Jose defensive dominance, you’d have a powerhouse.  I mean, how difficult can it be to create a good offensive team if you have Lukaku, Pogba, Sanchez, etc.  Yet he can’t do it.

When I was in Michigan, United fans were a small group in the stadium and showed zero passion.  Liverpool fans had banners everywhere.  I didn’t see a single banner on the United side.  Then after the game when we went to the gift shop to get some merchandise, all the Pool stuff was sold out.  There were Pogba jerseys everywhere.  

Mourinho is killing the United brand

It's not all about money

9M     57M    11M    0M

Spent on a back four who haven't let in a goal in FOREVER. 

Users who are viewing this thread