What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

✦✦✦Official 2014 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread (1 Viewer)

So we lost Mike Wallace (became 4th highest paid WR in NFL and 2nd highest in guaranteed pay) and Keenan Lewis (back up pro bowler)

and I was wondering if we get some good compensatory picks out of them.
Yeah, imagine that, and during the NO/PHI game they kept saying how important Lewis was to their D before his concussion and afterwards, and all over the radio last week I kept hearing how big of a blow it would be for NO if he couldnt play vs SEA.

He signed a perfectly affordable deal and we never shouldve let him walk :rant:
Biggest blunder of last offseason BY FAR! All other FA losses were not significant as this one. CB was our achilles heel all season, Ike Taylor had a horrendous year and Cortez Allen was not much better (I will say that he did improve as season went on, once he got healthy and a few games under his belt). Gay was our most consistent CB, which explains why we did not make the post season tournament.

Last edited by a moderator:
So we lost Mike Wallace (became 4th highest paid WR in NFL and 2nd highest in guaranteed pay) and Keenan Lewis (back up pro bowler)

Yeah, imagine that, and during the NO/PHI game they kept saying how important Lewis was to their D before his concussion and afterwards, and all over the radio last week I kept hearing how big of a blow it would be for NO if he couldnt play vs SEA.

The Steelers identified Lewis as a priority signing but he had his heart on playing for New Orleans (his hometown).

My guess is he told the Steelers this and they weren't about to get into a bidding war with the Saints knowing that the only way they would win was if they grossly overpaid.

The time to sign Lewis was the season before he became a FA but at that point Lewis was looking like a bust.

The Steelers identified Lewis as a priority signing but he had his heart on playing for New Orleans (his hometown).

My guess is he told the Steelers this and they weren't about to get into a bidding war with the Saints knowing that the only way they would win was if they grossly overpaid.

The time to sign Lewis was the season before he became a FA but at that point Lewis was looking like a bust.
Exactly. I don't understand why people ignore this part of FA. He wanted to leave. It's not always in the cards for the incumbent team. If NO isn't an option he probably stays but that's not how it worked out.

Not sure if it's been mentioned but the Titans are expected to interview/hire Ray Horton for their DC position; they did not ask Steelers permission to interview Butler.

Interesting article in today's Trib

1. The Steelers are considering dropping their prices for pre-season games

2. Art Rooney Jr. has come out and said that he expects Troy to retire a Steeler, and they plan on restructuring his current deal or structuring a new deal

The Hank said:

2. Art Rooney Jr. has come out and said that he expects Troy to retire a Steeler, and they plan on restructuring his current deal or structuring a new deal
Money well spent.

I doubt Troy will insist on playing WAY past his prime - and I suspect he will play for a fair price.

I think that generally rubs off well on the team.

The Hank said:

This is a wonderful idea though it wouldn't surprise me if it came with an increase in the regular ticket prices

The Hank said:

This is a wonderful idea though it wouldn't surprise me if it came with an increase in the regular ticket prices
Yeah they mentioned making pricing similar to how the Pirates price certain games higher than others based on opponent

Exactly. I don't understand why people ignore this part of FA. He wanted to leave. It's not always in the cards for the incumbent team. If NO isn't an option he probably stays but that's not how it worked out.
Who is ignoring that part of FA? We never even bothered to give him an offer. I thought the deal he got from NO was perfectly affordable for us, and if we gave him a slightly better deal, it wouldnt have been overpaying. Then the ball is in his court, if he still picks NO, so be it.

There was absolutely no reason for us not to pursue re-signing him/giving him an offer. If we did still have him, it makes cutting Ike and saving all that money from him a no brainer, where as now we are so depleted at CB we cant afford to cut Ike, no pun intended. I know we wont end up paying Ike what he is currently due, but Id be shocked if he wasnt still in B&G next year.

Who is ignoring that part of FA? We never even bothered to give him an offer. I thought the deal he got from NO was perfectly affordable for us, and if we gave him a slightly better deal, it wouldnt have been overpaying. Then the ball is in his court, if he still picks NO, so be it.

There was absolutely no reason for us not to pursue re-signing him/giving him an offer. If we did still have him, it makes cutting Ike and saving all that money from him a no brainer, where as now we are so depleted at CB we cant afford to cut Ike, no pun intended. I know we wont end up paying Ike what he is currently due, but Id be shocked if he wasnt still in B&G next year.
The Steelers said they wanted to sign him so I am sure they had preliminary discussions with his agent. They very well could have been told that Keenan had his heart set on New Orleans and were given a ridiculous number that would be required to keep him in Pittsburgh so extending him a lower offer would have been pointless.

In any case we'll never know.

Steelers brought in ex-Tennessee HC Mike Munchak to the Southside today for a looksee at the vacant OL Coach job.

The Hank said:
Steelers brought in ex-Tennessee HC Mike Munchak to the Southside today for a looksee at the vacant OL Coach job.
It would be interesting to know which OL coaching job he would prefer: the Steelers or Penn State. As someone from Scranton he has no ties to Pittsburgh (or the Steelers) so I wonder if he would rather take the OL coach job at an upper tier NFL organization or at his high level college program alma mater.

As far as I know, James Franklin isnt considering him for that job at PSU, but it would be interesting to know which he would prefer.

Either way, I think he'd be a fantastic hire for the Steelers.

The Hank said:
It would be interesting to know which OL coaching job he would prefer: the Steelers or Penn State. As someone from Scranton he has no ties to Pittsburgh (or the Steelers) so I wonder if he would rather take the OL coach job at an upper tier NFL organization or at his high level college program alma mater.

As far as I know, James Franklin isnt considering him for that job at PSU, but it would be interesting to know which he would prefer.

Franklin's oline coach is apparently a good one already. I think that's why 2 vandy oline recruits switched to psu.

There was a quote somewhere that he interviewed for the HOU OL Coach position as well.

Steelers RB Coach Kirby Wilson among those interviewing for Ravens vacant Offensive Coordinator position

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000316082/article/report-baltimore-ravens-interview-scott-linehan?campaign=Twitter_atl
I wouldnt expect BAL to go with him, but maybe the do pick him basically as a F U to the Steelers.
I don't know about the rest of the league but the Steelers have very high regard for Kirby. There was a lot of speculation that he was in line for the Steelers OC position before he was injured in the fire.

I am sure the Ravens have a genuine interest in Kirby. If they do hire him, the F U to the Steelers will be merely a bonus.

Mike Munchak an ideal fit for SteelersJanuary, 22, 2014Jan 22 10:55 PM ET
By Scott Brown | ESPN.com

PITTSBURGH -- The Steelers made what will probably go down as their most significant acquisition of the offseason Wednesday when Mike Munchak agreed to become their next offensive line coach.

Yes, hiring Munchak is that big.

No one on the planet knows the ins and outs of the NFL and playing offensive line like Munchak does.

Think of the respect one of the greatest guards in NFL history will command from his new players. And his NFL resume merely starts with the 12 seasons he spent crafting a Hall of Fame career as a Houston Oiler.

Munchak has more than two decades of coaching experience, and he impressed the Tennessee Titans’ brass enough in 14 seasons as the team’s offensive line coach that he rose to the head coaching job in 2011.

Munchak might still be with the only NFL organization he worked for as a coach and a player had he agreed to make sweeping changes to his staff following a 7-9 season.

That he ended up in Pittsburgh is a coup for the Steelers.

The only downside to hiring Munchak: He is so highly regarded around the NFL that another head coaching opportunity could come his way in the coming years.

Then again Munchak spent more than three decades with the same organization, so he can hardly be characterized as an opportunist who jumps from job to job.

Munchak inherits an offensive line that is on the cusp of becoming pretty good if not really good provided it can ever stay healthy. He may be the coach to unlock underachieving offensive tackle Mike Adams’ considerable potential.

And he becomes the point man in installing the outside zone-blocking scheme that the Steelers ditched last season after Pro Bowl center Maurkice Pouncey went down in the opener with a torn ACL, a game that the Steelers lost to Munchak's Titans at Heinz Field.

Munchak has tons of experience teaching the scheme, and it is something that will maximize Le’Veon Bell’s running ability.

It’s hard to imagine the Steelers finding a better fit for the one opening -- at least for now -- on coach Mike Tomlin’s staff.

And the Munchak hiring is a heck of a way for the Steelers to start an offseason that will bring its share of change.

Sounds good to me. No excuses now for theses guys. Better coaches is a great way to improve a position without impacting the cap. Best possible move.

I guess the only caveat is that the line did a lot better once the ZBS was abandoned, and Munch will be re-implementing and teaching that again.

as a fan i hope they make the steelers do hard knocks even though i think its stupid to force a team

Kirby Wilson Leaving for Vikings

Two years ago, Kirby Wilson suffered serious burns in a house fire. He made a full recovery, returning to his job as Steelers running backs coach later that same year.

Wilson is now moving on from the Steelers.

According to Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Wilson will be joining the Vikings’ coaching staff, led by new head coach Mike Zimmer.

Wilson, 52, joined the Steelers with coach Mike Tomlin in 2007. Some thought that, but for the house fire, Wilson would have succeeded Bruce Arians as offensive coordinator in 2012. More recently, there was speculation that Wilson would replace current offensive coordinator Todd Haley.

It’s unclear whether Wilson is leaving on his own or with a nudge. His decision to interview for the offensive coordinator position in Baltimore raised no eyebrows because it would have been a promotion. In Minnesota, he’ll at best be a position coach.

If Wilson becomes the Vikings’ running backs coach, he’ll have one of the all-time greats as his primary pupil. So while it would be a lateral move on paper, it could be a major step up for Wilson to be working with Adrian Peterson.

Is he tight with Zimmer or something? I dont see how it makes sense to leave the most coaching stable team in the NFL for to coach for another team when its he would have the same coaching role, ie not a promotion.

Is he tight with Zimmer or something? I dont see how it makes sense to leave the most coaching stable team in the NFL for to coach for another team when its he would have the same coaching role, ie not a promotion.
Saw a tweet from Steelers Depot that said Kirby and Haley "did not always get along". Also there was kind of a cryptic tweet from Charlie Batch.

https://twitter.com/CharlieBatch16/status/427175706506702848

@CharlieBatch16Jan 25
Congrats Kirby Wilson on your move to the #Vikings. 3 out of 5 #Steelers offensive assistant coaches gone in 2 years. HMMMM
Not sure if he is referring to the fact that they are respected and targeted around the NFL, or if Haley is chasing them away.

Anyways, here is that article from Steelers Depot

Report: Kirby Wilson Didn’t Always Get Along With Todd Haley

Sorry for the lack of copy/paste, but the site is not letting me choose any text. That or I had too many adult beverages during the Pitt-Duke game, and can't figure it out.

Saw a tweet from Steelers Depot that said Kirby and Haley "did not always get along". Also there was kind of a cryptic tweet from Charlie Batch.

https://twitter.com/CharlieBatch16/status/427175706506702848

@CharlieBatch16Jan 25
Congrats Kirby Wilson on your move to the #Vikings. 3 out of 5 #Steelers offensive assistant coaches gone in 2 years. HMMMM
Not sure if he is referring to the fact that they are respected and targeted around the NFL, or if Haley is chasing them away.

Anyways, here is that article from Steelers Depot

Report: Kirby Wilson Didn’t Always Get Along With Todd Haley

Sorry for the lack of copy/paste, but the site is not letting me choose any text. That or I had too many adult beverages during the Pitt-Duke game, and can't figure it out.
Steelersdepot blocks select of text through javascript.

Not seeing the big deal with Wilson really. He's a position coach of a position that hasn't exactly been stellar. Sure, blame can be placed on the line or playcalling or whatever but if he were the oline or wr coach people would say he's underperformed. :shrug:

I guess I don't see the big deal either. 3-5 position coaches gone since they hired Haley? Okay, which ones: OL twice(both pretty much sucked), RB(been fairly meh for a while)....who was the third? Arians himself? That had nothing to do with Haley(and I never was that sad seeing he and his RZ playcalling go, though I always felt he was a good X and O coach).

Look, I think Haley's basically "just a guy" and he's clearly sort of a ####....but I think the local media vilify him like it's their job and have pretty much since he was hired. Isn't it feasible that Kirby honestly just wants to be an OC and thinks the path is clearer elsewhere now?

What are Bouchette and Lolley saying about how Wilson/Haley got along? Those two guys are actually on the ground with the team. I haven't seen either guy reporting Kirby quit in a huff.

Not seeing the big deal with Wilson really. He's a position coach of a position that hasn't exactly been stellar. Sure, blame can be placed on the line or playcalling or whatever but if he were the oline or wr coach people would say he's underperformed. :shrug:
I don't see what the big deal is either. Ben and Haley seem to have worked things out and have got something going. If Wilson can't see eye to eye with them then it is best for everyone if he moves on.

I don't see what the big deal is either. Ben and Haley seem to have worked things out and have got something going. If Wilson can't see eye to eye with them then it is best for everyone if he moves on.
Seems to me, unless there is a huge breakdown next year, Haley will be w/ Steelers for a while.

still hate Haley... team did well the second half but cant stand the guy.... obviously i dont really know him but he has a doosh perception

still hate Haley... team did well the second half but cant stand the guy.... obviously i dont really know him but he has a doosh perception
He could be Adolph Hitler for all I care. If he can continue the trend of the Steelers putting up >28 points over the last 9 games of the season he is peachy to me.

Man firing Arians for Haley is looking like the worst coaching move the steelers have ever made.
Why? Because Arians has had success as a HC for Indy and ARZ? The offense looked as good as it had in since they played ARZ in the SB last year I thought, and that was without your starting RB for the first quarter of the season, losing Mike Wallace & an average WR at best WR corps overall, and a ramshackle OL, While Haley makes some play calls that leave you screaming at your TV, I recall Arians having even more of those.

Godsbrother said:
If he can continue the trend of the Steelers putting up >28 points over the last 9 games of the season he is peachy to me.
That's the real question tho.

Did he contribute to that? Or did Ben and Wilson take over more of the in game responsibilities? And, if so, was that at Haley's behest or Tomlin's?

Users who are viewing this thread