What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

✦✦✦Official 2014 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread (2 Viewers)

Godsbrother said:
still hate Haley... team did well the second half but cant stand the guy.... obviously i dont really know him but he has a doosh perception
If he can continue the trend of the Steelers putting up >28 points over the last 9 games of the season he is peachy to me.
That's the real question tho.

Did he contribute to that? Or did Ben and Wilson take over more of the in game responsibilities? And, if so, was that at Haley's behest or Tomlin's?
I never heard of any reports suggesting that Wilson took more of the in game responsibilities. If Wilson was such an integral part of the offense resurgence last season then I really doubt the Steelers would have let him walk and retain Haley.

And if I were Wilson there is no way I would have left for a lateral job with the Vikings if me and the franchise QB were calling the shots on gameday and having so much success.

I think it is likely that Wilson could see that he wasn't getting the Steelers OC job anytime soon and he felt it was time to move on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Godsbrother said:
still hate Haley... team did well the second half but cant stand the guy.... obviously i dont really know him but he has a doosh perception
If he can continue the trend of the Steelers putting up >28 points over the last 9 games of the season he is peachy to me.

Did he contribute to that? Or did Ben and Wilson take over more of the in game responsibilities? And, if so, was that at Haley's behest or Tomlin's?
I never heard of any reports suggesting that Wilson took more of the in game responsibilities. If Wilson was such an integral part of the offense resurgence last season then I really doubt the Steelers would have let him walk and retain Haley.

And if I were Wilson there is no way I would have left for a lateral job with the Vikings if me and the franchise QB were calling the shots on gameday and having so much success.

I think it is likely that Wilson could see that he wasn't getting the Steelers OC job anytime soon and he felt it was time to move on.
I think the offensive resurgence had more to do with Leveon Bell coming back, the line playing together more, and Ben making more of his own plays again. I don't blame Haley 100% for the early season woes, but I don't think his personality and style is sustainable.

Godsbrother said:

I think the offensive resurgence had more to do with Leveon Bell coming back, the line playing together more, and Ben making more of his own plays again. I don't blame Haley 100% for the early season woes, but I don't think his personality and style is sustainable.
Agree with you about Bell and Ben was certainly calling a lot of the plays though it was still the Haley scheme and playbook.

I think the line playing better was more of a case of going to the no huddle and Ben getting rid of the ball quicker.

Haley definitely has a reputation, how much of it is warranted I have no clue, but he and Ben seem to be on the same page now which is a good thing. Whether or not it is sustainable is yet to be seen but if they can average 28+ points and the Steelers return to winning football then that is good enough for me.

treat88 said:
Godsbrother said:

Where did you find this Jump To Conclusions mat that would lead you to believe Wilson was more influential in the play calling than Haley?!

treat88 said:
Godsbrother said:

Where did you find this Jump To Conclusions mat that would lead you to believe Wilson was more influential in the play calling than Haley?!
“Todd Haley allowed Big Ben to call plays in no-huddle. Tomlin got more involved in O, with RB coach Kirby Wilson given additional duties,” Rapoport said via his Twitter account.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2014/01/04/report-todd-haley-to-return-as-offensive-coordinator/
The Steelers permitted Wilson to pursue other jobs even though he had one year left on his contract and was significantly involved in crafting game plans.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/114574/kirby-wilson-to-become-vikings-rb-coach
I'm not suggesting Wilson was "more involved" than Haley nor do I have an axe to grind on the subject.

But is has been widely discussed, if not reported, that after the awful start to 2013, something changed that got the offense turned around.

Perhaps it was the return of Bell or even Heath, both of which are very possible if not outright likely.

But, GB seemed to suggest that Haley was somehow behind the offense putting up 28 points per game over the final 9 and I simply asked if that was his own doing or if was potentially the increased contributions from other sources, one of which may very well be Wilson, that led to the change. I get that Crappaport is a poor source to attribute anything Steelers related too, but I'm not just pulling the thought out of my behind here.

We've seen Ben go from being supposedly not allowed to audible in 2012 to a sudden and very successful change mid 2013 to an increased reliance on the no huddle and Ben having freedom to make the playcalls and adjust as he sees fit. Is that Haley evolving or is he getting, or IMO, likely being forced to accept, more help? Some of which has been suggested came from Wilson.

Hire Ben as the OC at $20MM per and then restructure his contract as a player to the veteran's minimum for the next 10 years. Salary cap woes over.

I have no issues with Haley whatsoever. He was hired to put points on the board while finding ways of protecting Ben. That's exactly what he has done.

Heard Bouchette interviewed on The Fan today, most of it was on HOF discussion. He said he thinks this year Bettis gets in. That reminds to be seen, and I wouldnt be surprised either way, but what did surprise me is he thinks that neither Ben or Troy will get in. Id personally be less surprised by Troy, but it was him and Ed Reed who were considered the hands down best safeties for the better part of a decade, so Id be surprised if he doesnt make it. I dont he'll do much from here on out to strengthen his case, but on the other hand I think Ben can and will do plenty which is why Id have to think he's a lock if he plays like he has much of his career for the next 4-5 years.

Kenny Powers said:
Heard Bouchette interviewed on The Fan today, most of it was on HOF discussion. He said he thinks this year Bettis gets in. That reminds to be seen, and I wouldnt be surprised either way, but what did surprise me is he thinks that neither Ben or Troy will get in. Id personally be less surprised by Troy, but it was him and Ed Reed who were considered the hands down best safeties for the better part of a decade, so Id be surprised if he doesnt make it. I dont he'll do much from here on out to strengthen his case, but on the other hand I think Ben can and will do plenty which is why Id have to think he's a lock if he plays like he has much of his career for the next 4-5 years.
Ben is borderline right now. If he could win another SB he will definitely get in.

Troy doesn't have the interception totals and has had a few injury-plagued seasons but he has been regarded as one of the top 2 players at his position for the majority of his career. I am guessing that probably won't be enough to make it though.

“Todd Haley allowed Big Ben to call plays in no-huddle. Tomlin got more involved in O, with RB coach Kirby Wilson given additional duties,” Rapoport said via his Twitter account.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2014/01/04/report-todd-haley-to-return-as-offensive-coordinator/
He makes shit up. Anything he says about the Steelers and their internal moves should be totally discounted.
Wilson was given so much credit for the offensive resurgence that the Steelers allowed him to leave for a lateral position in Minnesota so that he could work his magic with the Vikings offense.

Ben is borderline right now. If he could win another SB he will definitely get in.

Troy doesn't have the interception totals and has had a few injury-plagued seasons but he has been regarded as one of the top 2 players at his position for the majority of his career. I am guessing that probably won't be enough to make it though.
Oh if Ben wins another SB certainly he is a lock. I was more saying 4-5 more seasons of ~25 TDs, 4000+ yds, and a nice playoff run or 2 is enough in additional to what he has already accomplished for him to be pretty damn near definite.

Troy might not have the INT totals, but he's been as much of a playmaker as pretty much any DB of recent memory. How many INT's are SS or even the best SS's expected to get? Big difference from FS. While the injuries have hurt his stats, I dont think theyve hurt anyone's opinion of him being an elite DB. Again, Id be surprised if he would eventually get in. Hell, he does have some nice stats, and I recall him being pretty damn good, but Aeneas Williams just got in today.

I actually think Troy is a lock, Bettis gets in after a few years, and Ben is out (unless he wins 1-2 more titles).

Bouchette has it backwards. Troy is a lock. Bettis never gets in.
Bettis deserves to be there.
While I don't disagree I feel too many do. Each year there will be 5 who are deemed more deserving. To add to who didn't make it this year like Marvin Harrison next year comes Orlando Pace and Junior Seau, followed by Brett Favre and Randy Moss the next.

Who is that? Is that Faneca?

Edit: NM, I see that it is from the url. Wow.

Ryan Clark is on espn all the time now. Is he retiring?
No but he's preparing.
I know guys on my team who smoke," Clark said. "And it's not a situation where you think, 'Oh, these are guys trying to be cool.' These are guys who want to do it recreationally.
While I am sure this is true for every team I think it is a crap to come out and indict your own team. Then again Clark isn't coming back so maybe he figures it is okay to throw your former teammates and organization under the bus.

:thumbdown:

He then when on twitter and said:

I don't smoke marijuana. I won't smoke marijuana.
Yeah, sure Ryan. :rolleyes:

Yeah, it's kind of ####ty to out your teammates when you're likely on the way out. If this draws extra scrutiny on the team it will definitely suck.

I wouldn't doubt that RC avoids weed. He seems like a fairly religious guy.

Who cares? It's been happening in the league for since the creation of the NFL. It isn't even a secret, just the general public liking to pretend it's naive. And as always LT and Bill Romanowski did worse things than anyone in this day and age... Todd Marijuanavich played his best game in the arena league having withdrawals from heroin. Weed is child's play compared to the athletes of the 70's, 80's and 90's.

This thread (which goes into a lot of details about the process) is projecting the Steelers to get a 3rd, 5th, and 7th in compensatory picks.

I didn't miss an official ruling from King Goddell and SidelineGate and a lost draft pick, did I? WTF are they waiting for to announce/decide?

This thread (which goes into a lot of details about the process) is projecting the Steelers to get a 3rd, 5th, and 7th in compensatory picks.

I didn't miss an official ruling from King Goddell and SidelineGate and a lost draft pick, did I? WTF are they waiting for to announce/decide?
IIRC these were announced last year in March.

If by announced you mean last years comp picks were announced a month before the draft I think that's true. This year should be the same.

As to ACP's question they were waiting for the season to end (I think) to see if the incident affected standings or playoff seedings. It didn't so they should move on if they're going to. Pittsburgh will appeal if they do take a pick and maybe that has affected the decision some. :shrug:

If by announced you mean last years comp picks were announced a month before the draft I think that's true. This year should be the same.As to ACP's question they were waiting for the season to end (I think) to see if the incident affected standings or playoff seedings. It didn't so they should move on if they're going to. Pittsburgh will appeal if they do take a pick and maybe that has affected the decision some. :shrug:
oops misread the question

3C said:
JoeSteeler said:
AhrnCityPahnder said:

If by announced you mean last years comp picks were announced a month before the draft I think that's true. This year should be the same.

As to ACP's question they were waiting for the season to end (I think) to see if the incident affected standings or playoff seedings. It didn't so they should move on if they're going to. Pittsburgh will appeal if they do take a pick and maybe that has affected the decision some. :shrug:
Yes this is what I heard as well. If they really want to punish Tomlin they would force the Steelers to do Hard Knocks. It seems like dealing with the media is Tomlin's least favorite aspect of the job and doing Hard Knocks would be a major PITA for him.

3C said:
JoeSteeler said:
AhrnCityPahnder said:

Yes this is what I heard as well. If they really want to punish Tomlin they would force the Steelers to do Hard Knocks. It seems like dealing with the media is Tomlin's least favorite aspect of the job and doing Hard Knocks would be a major PITA for him.
:thumbup: Obviously Tomlin doesn't like dealing with the media for obvious reasons that should be obvious to all but the oblivious.

JoeSteeler said:
AhrnCityPahnder said:

:goodposting:

Yes they are announced ahead of the draft.

Im curious as to why we only have 3 comp picks -- as I stated in the 2014 comp pick thread, Steelers also lost Max Starks (signed with SD for 1 yr $2MIL, later got cut) and Doug Legursky ($800K - signed with Buf, lasted whole season). I expected Steelers to get 4 or more comp. picks (Wallace/Lewis/Mundy/Allen) and for the Gradkowski add to be negated by Starks and/or Legursky.

JoeSteeler said:
AhrnCityPahnder said:

Im curious as to why we only have 3 comp picks -- as I stated in the 2014 comp pick thread, Steelers also lost Max Starks (signed with SD for 1 yr $2MIL, later got cut) and Doug Legursky ($800K - signed with Buf, lasted whole season). I expected Steelers to get 4 or more comp. picks (Wallace/Lewis/Mundy/Allen) and for the Gradkowski add to be negated by Starks and/or Legursky.
I had it at 3 picks also...

So we lost Mike Wallace (became 4th highest paid WR in NFL and 2nd highest in guaranteed pay) and Keenan Lewis (back up pro bowler)

and I was wondering if we get some good compensatory picks out of them.

Steelers Free Agent Loses:

WR Mike Wallace - Miami Dolphins - Signed a five year, $60 million contract that will pay him $12 million in 2013 and have an average base salary of $9.75 million.

CB Keenan Lewis - New Orleans Saints - Signed a five-year, $25.55 million contract that will pay him $7 million in 2013 and have an average base salary of $3.56 million.

RB Rashard Mendenhall - Arizona Cardinals - Signed a one-year, $2.5 million contract that will pay him $2.5 million-plus possible incentives in 2013 and have an average base salary of $2 million.

T Max Starks - San Diego Chargers - Signed a one-year, $1 million contract that will pay him $1 million-plus possible incentives in 2013 and have an average base salary of $1 million.

S Will Allen - Dallas Cowboys - Signed a one-year, $905,000 contract that will pay him $905,000 in 2013 and have an average base salary of $840,000.

S Ryan Mundy - New York Giants - Signed a one-year, $780,000 contract that will pay him $780,000 in 2013 and have an average base salary of $715,000.

Steelers Free Agent Additions:

QB Bruce Gradkowski - Cincinnati Bengals - Signed a three-year, $4.95 million contract that will pay him $1.85 million in 2013 and have an average base salary of $1,366,666.67 million.

P Brian Moorman - Dallas Cowboys - Signed a one-year, $940,000 contract that will pay him $940,000 in 2013 and have an average base salary of $940,000.

RB LaRod Stephens-Howling - Arizona Cardinals - Signed a one-year, $780,000 contract that will pay him $780,000 in 2013 and have an average base salary of $715,000.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Veteran Additions:

QB Bruce Gradkowski, TE Matt Spaeth (2s), OT Guy Whimper (2s), CB William Gay (11s).

Offseason Losses:

RB Rashard Mendenhall(15s), WR Mike Wallace(16s), OT Max Starks, G Willie Colon(16s), NT Casey Hampton, DE/OLB James Harrison(10s), CB Keenan Lewis(16s), S Will Allen (4g Cowboys, cut and resigned by Steelers), S Ryan Mundy(9s).
A 3rd a 4th and a 7th?

Wallace, Lewis, Rashard

Grad=Colon, Spaeth=Mundy, Gay=Harrison, Whimper=Allen, Howling?(1g IRd)

Rashards 800 yards and 8 TDs might get a 6th if lucky based on pure starts?
So only a 5th for Keenan Lewis? christ thats bad

I guess I didn't ask my question very clearly. I was asking when the NFL is going to announce if/what pick the Steelers will lose because of the Tomlin sideline incident.

Oh if Ben wins another SB certainly he is a lock. I was more saying 4-5 more seasons of ~25 TDs, 4000+ yds, and a nice playoff run or 2 is enough in additional to what he has already accomplished for him to be pretty damn near definite.

Troy might not have the INT totals, but he's been as much of a playmaker as pretty much any DB of recent memory. How many INT's are SS or even the best SS's expected to get? Big difference from FS. While the injuries have hurt his stats, I dont think theyve hurt anyone's opinion of him being an elite DB. Again, Id be surprised if he would eventually get in. Hell, he does have some nice stats, and I recall him being pretty damn good, but Aeneas Williams just got in today.
Ben is a LOCK for the HOF..

just have a look at his numbers, better stats than Jim Kelly,and he still has 5-6 years left..

Kelly: 101wins,59 losses, 60.1%, 35467 yards, 237 td, 135 INT, 84.4 Rate, 0-4 SB record.9-8 playoff record.

Ben: 95w,47l, 63.3%, 34105 yards, 219 TD, 122 INT, 92.6 Rate..3 SB's, 2 SB wins.10-4 playoff record.

Ben will shatter Kelly's passing yards, TD, Win records , this season..

Ben >> Kelly.

Per @BobLabriola Twitter, Steelers hired Joey Porter as a Defensive Assistant, presumably to coach the OLB's.

I like the hire! :thumbup:

Well guys, as tough as last season was, we are NOT the Browns, they just let go of their HC, GM and CEO after 1 year!

I had it at 3 picks also...

So we lost Mike Wallace (became 4th highest paid WR in NFL and 2nd highest in guaranteed pay) and Keenan Lewis (back up pro bowler)

and I was wondering if we get some good compensatory picks out of them.

Steelers Free Agent Loses:

WR Mike Wallace - Miami Dolphins - Signed a five year, $60 million contract that will pay him $12 million in 2013 and have an average base salary of $9.75 million.

CB Keenan Lewis - New Orleans Saints - Signed a five-year, $25.55 million contract that will pay him $7 million in 2013 and have an average base salary of $3.56 million.

RB Rashard Mendenhall - Arizona Cardinals - Signed a one-year, $2.5 million contract that will pay him $2.5 million-plus possible incentives in 2013 and have an average base salary of $2 million.

T Max Starks - San Diego Chargers - Signed a one-year, $1 million contract that will pay him $1 million-plus possible incentives in 2013 and have an average base salary of $1 million.

S Will Allen - Dallas Cowboys - Signed a one-year, $905,000 contract that will pay him $905,000 in 2013 and have an average base salary of $840,000.

S Ryan Mundy - New York Giants - Signed a one-year, $780,000 contract that will pay him $780,000 in 2013 and have an average base salary of $715,000.

Steelers Free Agent Additions:

QB Bruce Gradkowski - Cincinnati Bengals - Signed a three-year, $4.95 million contract that will pay him $1.85 million in 2013 and have an average base salary of $1,366,666.67 million.

P Brian Moorman - Dallas Cowboys - Signed a one-year, $940,000 contract that will pay him $940,000 in 2013 and have an average base salary of $940,000.

RB LaRod Stephens-Howling - Arizona Cardinals - Signed a one-year, $780,000 contract that will pay him $780,000 in 2013 and have an average base salary of $715,000.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Veteran Additions:

QB Bruce Gradkowski, TE Matt Spaeth (2s), OT Guy Whimper (2s), CB William Gay (11s).

Offseason Losses:

RB Rashard Mendenhall(15s), WR Mike Wallace(16s), OT Max Starks, G Willie Colon(16s), NT Casey Hampton, DE/OLB James Harrison(10s), CB Keenan Lewis(16s), S Will Allen (4g Cowboys, cut and resigned by Steelers), S Ryan Mundy(9s).
A 3rd a 4th and a 7th?

Wallace, Lewis, Rashard

Grad=Colon, Spaeth=Mundy, Gay=Harrison, Whimper=Allen, Howling?(1g IRd)

Rashards 800 yards and 8 TDs might get a 6th if lucky based on pure starts?
So only a 5th for Keenan Lewis? christ thats bad
If I remember correctly Paul Kruger signed a $40M deal and the thread about the comp picks has Baltimore getting a 4th. I guess that makes a 5th for Lewis 'right' but the whole comp pick awarding process with this 'secret' formula is a subjective crock of BS in my opinion.

Love our style...

When asked if he thought the team has mismanaged their cap, the Steelers GM Kevin Colbert said:

“No, I really don’t. Nobody has the same 53 guys. We have to manage ours as best as possible. The goal is always going to be competing for a Super Bowl championship. To win the Super Bowl championship you obviously have to get in the playoffs. That standard will never change. We’re never going to say, ‘OK, we know we’re not a contender. We’ve got to gut this thing and start over.’ I never want to see that day. As I said earlier, you don’t want to get into the position of drafting a franchise quarterback. It’ll never be acceptable for this organization to gut it and start over.
As much as I wish we had that 3rd rounder for Sanders (and still do), we were only a game away from the playoffs and at that point you have to every bit of ammunition you can muster.

BigSteelThrill said:
Love our style...

When asked if he thought the team has mismanaged their cap, the Steelers GM Kevin Colbert said:

“No, I really don’t. Nobody has the same 53 guys. We have to manage ours as best as possible. The goal is always going to be competing for a Super Bowl championship. To win the Super Bowl championship you obviously have to get in the playoffs. That standard will never change. We’re never going to say, ‘OK, we know we’re not a contender. We’ve got to gut this thing and start over.’ I never want to see that day. As I said earlier, you don’t want to get into the position of drafting a franchise quarterback. It’ll never be acceptable for this organization to gut it and start over.
As much as I wish we had that 3rd rounder for Sanders (and still do), we were only a game away from the playoffs and at that point you have to every bit of ammunition you can muster.
I understand the Steelers reasoning and I don't fault them for trying to win. My problem was there were other free agent WRs of similar quality available, like Donnie Avery and Darrius Heyward-Bey, that could have been signed to reasonable contracts and you would have gotten the 3rd round pick for Sanders as a bonus.

Users who are viewing this thread