What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

✦✦✦Official 2014 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread (1 Viewer)

Steelers bust out Transition Tag on Jason Worlids
What's the point? If somebody gives him a front-loaded offer, Steelers' cap situation prevents them from matching.
Who knows, maybe if it is a reasonable deal they match and let go of Woodley -- I think its better than giving him no tag at all.
Agreed. At least now it is going to take a front-loaded contract or one with a lot in guaranteed money for another team to sign Worilds, which may be enough to discourage other teams from talking to him. And let's face it, if another team is willing to give Worilds a crazy offer the Steelers aren't going to match it anyway.

S Will Allen re-signed with the Steelers, according to his agent, @blakebaratz.
Love this move. The secondary was dramatically better when he took over for Mundy in 2012 and again last year when we picked him back up after Dallas let him go. Provides much needed veteran depth and has a knack for creating turnovers.

It is great to have him back at what I am sure is a bargain price.

Steelers also announced that in addition to Heath Miller, Troy Polamalu has agreed to a 3 yr extension, no terms of the deal unveiled yet.

:hifive: Very glad Troy will retire a Steeler. Didn't want another Woodson situation.
yeah, he has earned that i think, even if it means they had to pay more then they should. Which does not mean they DID pay more, i dunno what the deal is.

I think the Steelers draft Mike Evans (TAMU - WR), Justin Gilbert (OKST - CB), Darqueze Dennard (MICH ST - CB), Taylor Lewan (MICH – T), Kony Ealy (MIZZOU – DE), Kelvin Benjamin (FSU – WR) or Louis Nix (ND - NT) at this point. They’ll have a few of those guys available at that time too – I wouldn’t mind trading down and getting extra picks later to help fill in some holes on Defense.

I doubt they go Safety (Haha Clinton-Dix/Calvin Pryor) or Tight End (Eric Ebron) now that we locked up Troy and Heath for a few more years.

I think the Steelers draft Mike Evans (TAMU - WR), Justin Gilbert (OKST - CB), Darqueze Dennard (MICH ST - CB), Taylor Lewan (MICH – T), Kony Ealy (MIZZOU – DE), Kelvin Benjamin (FSU – WR) or Louis Nix (ND - NT) at this point. They’ll have a few of those guys available at that time too – I wouldn’t mind trading down and getting extra picks later to help fill in some holes on Defense.

I doubt they go Safety (Haha Clinton-Dix/Calvin Pryor) or Tight End (Eric Ebron) now that we locked up Troy and Heath for a few more years.
They could still go S cause I doubt Troy will be starting if he is even still around for the final year of his contract and we know it can take a season or two to become effective in the Steelers defense.

They could also still take a TE cause their depth at that position is not that great and there is nothing wrong with having two TEs as receiving threats.

That said I think they're going to go CB or either NT or DE. A WR wouldn't shock me either.

I read Troy's deal cut 4.5M off the cap and Miller's 3.1M for a total of 7.6M reduction to the cap. Reports say still about 7M over the cap but that does include Worilds deal. So cut Levi and gain another 6.25M. Gettting under the 133M cap by Tuesday should be easy.

Signing Worilds to a long term deal could knock his cap hit down to around 4M this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
According to what I see, cap savings for the three cuts are:

Levi Brown: $6.25M
Larry Foote: $1.16M
Curtis Brown: $645K

Just a hair over $8M cap space freed with these three cuts.

I still think they're a little over a million over the cap, by my count(which could totally be off). Should be able to get under easily by Tuesday though, especially if they get Worilds inked to something longer-term before then.

Steelers making some solid moves here.
Agreed. Allen for what Im assuming is just a little over the vet minimum is a nice, no-brainer depth move. Heath for $4M base salary for his extension seems like a steal to me, hopefully he stays healthy. Troy still getting paid pretty damn good with that extension based on what I read in here, but not sure what that means he'd be making in 2016 when he presumably has a noticeably less amount left in the tank.

I really dont think these extensions effect their thoughts on 1st round prospects and what they end up doing, much at all.

Considering the state of the team, Ebron still strikes me as a luxury pick that doesnt make sense for this Steelers roster. If they like him that much though, I dont see Heath getting his extension - hey, lets all admit he was still going to 99% be here in 15-16 anyway, this move just decreases his cap hit this year - leading them to diminishing Ebron's value if they like him.

As for Clinton-Dix, even less of an impact with Troy's extension considering IMO Shamarko is the SS in waiting and Clinton-Dix definitely has the FS pedigree. Also sort of a big "if", but if they drafted Dix and both pan out you dont have to worry about either Safety position for a decade plus. Not needing to worry about it because of Troy and Clark for the better part of a decade was pretty nice, I certainly wouldnt mind that again.

I still think they're a little over a million over the cap, by my count(which could totally be off). Should be able to get under easily by Tuesday though, especially if they get Worilds inked to something longer-term before then.
Id presume they transition tagged Worilds with the idea that its likely they can sign him longterm. That said, anyone else a little worried about giving him a fairly lucrative longterm deal? He's never shown the ability of Woodley, and look at where we are all at on Woodley these days.

I guess only time, albeit that time is in the near future, on whether that's the case because it will depend on his new contract, but giving him more than above average money reeks of desperation to me because we have nothing besides Worilds, Woodley, and Jarvis Jones really.

I really dont think these extensions effect their thoughts on 1st round prospects and what they end up doing, much at all.

Considering the state of the team, Ebron still strikes me as a luxury pick that doesnt make sense for this Steelers roster. If they like him that much though, I dont see Heath getting his extension - hey, lets all admit he was still going to 99% be here in 15-16 anyway, this move just decreases his cap hit this year - leading them to diminishing Ebron's value if they like him.

As for Clinton-Dix, even less of an impact with Troy's extension considering IMO Shamarko is the SS in waiting and Clinton-Dix definitely has the FS pedigree. Also sort of a big "if", but if they drafted Dix and both pan out you dont have to worry about either Safety position for a decade plus. Not needing to worry about it because of Troy and Clark for the better part of a decade was pretty nice, I certainly wouldnt mind that again.
I think Ebron impacts their passing game more than Benjamin. He's the best receiving threat in the draft behind Watkins and Evans. So I'd be very surprised if they went Benjamin.

I've cooled on Ealy. Any of the others works for me, although I actually think Lewan is a luxury (No, no one stole my login)

I think Ebron impacts their passing game more than Benjamin. He's the best receiving threat in the draft behind Watkins and Evans. So I'd be very surprised if they went Benjamin.

I've cooled on Ealy. Any of the others works for me, although I actually think Lewan is a luxury (No, no one stole my login)
Lewan is only a luxury in the "today" context.

He is so much more thne that in the "for the next twelve years" context.

Not that we have a shot in hell at him, he is going top 12.

And Haha was NEVER the Troy replacement, he would be the Ryan Clark replacement.

Shamarko is the SS in reserve that may at some point start. FS is another story.

Mike Florio (who Im no fan of) makes an insightful comment on Troy Polamalu and Heath Millers restructures...

As to Miller, $3.3 million in cap space was created. As to Polamalu, $4.5 million has been cleared. The $7.8 million saved now will hit the cap in future years.

Next year, the Steelers will have to decide whether to keep Polamalu at a cap number of $8.25 million or dump him and absorb a cap charge of $4.5 million, which would be split between 2015 and 2016 if Polamalu is designated as a post-June 1 release. For Miller, the question will be whether to carry a $7.5 million cap number or eat $5 million (or $2.5 million in 2015 and 2016).

Bouchette suggests that Miller and Polamalu each “took one for the team,"
If true that's a nice job by the front office. Hopefully both players can remain effective and not need to worry about any future cuts. But the team sure seems protected in whatever happens going forward. I dont see how Miller wont remain useful in at least some capacity for two more years.

Antonio Brown restructures to free up 4 million of cap space.

Jason Worilds and the Steelers have made lots of progress towards a long term deal.

If they get extensions with Worilds, Ben and Taylor done in the near future they may have a lot more money to play with then anticipated. Wouldn't mind Lance Moore or Santonio Holmes on the veteran WR front.

Alterraun Verner would look good in black and gold, we were reportedly linked to him in the legal tampering period -- I dont see how the Steelers make his contract work though, he's going to command big $ in FA.

Alterraun Verner would look good in black and gold, we were reportedly linked to him in the legal tampering period -- I dont see how the Steelers make his contract work though, he's going to command big $ in FA.
$10 million/year? Ouch. Really unlikely the Steelers could sign him at that price but he would look good in Black & Gold.

I heard a report the Steelers and Worilds are getting closer to working out a long-term deal. That will definitely a decent chunk of cap space in 2014 (still probably not enough to sign Verner though).

$10 million/year? Ouch. Really unlikely the Steelers could sign him at that price but he would look good in Black & Gold.

I heard a report the Steelers and Worilds are getting closer to working out a long-term deal. That will definitely a decent chunk of cap space in 2014 (still probably not enough to sign Verner though).
If they came to an agreement with Verner they can cut Ike freeing 7M first before 'officially' signing Verner.

It is probably doable given the ways a team can work with the cap and long tem deals/guarenteed money.

A long term deal with Worilds and resolution of Woodley's status would probably be need too for this to work.

Reports are the 2015 cap could be around 145M and the 2016 cap around 160M.

Per Schefter:

@AdamSchefter: Steelers will release LB LaMarr Woodley at 4 ET Tuesday, designate him a post June 1 casualty, per source. He will be free to sign Tuesday.
I'm not sure I like this move. Yes, it clears cap space, but they're going to eat a ton of dead money next year - almost as much as they'd pay him to play this year. Unless they fear he's just never going to stay healthy for 16 games again, they're letting a very good pass rusher go. I'd have preferred to see him, Worilds, and Jarvis in a 3 man rotation. Now they have two wildly unproven guys and basically no depth behind them whatsoever at one of the most important positions on the team.

Users who are viewing this thread