What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

✦✦✦Official 2014 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread (3 Viewers)

Love our style...

When asked if he thought the team has mismanaged their cap, the Steelers GM Kevin Colbert said:

“No, I really don’t. Nobody has the same 53 guys. We have to manage ours as best as possible. The goal is always going to be competing for a Super Bowl championship. To win the Super Bowl championship you obviously have to get in the playoffs. That standard will never change. We’re never going to say, ‘OK, we know we’re not a contender. We’ve got to gut this thing and start over.’ I never want to see that day. As I said earlier, you don’t want to get into the position of drafting a franchise quarterback. It’ll never be acceptable for this organization to gut it and start over.
As much as I wish we had that 3rd rounder for Sanders (and still do), we were only a game away from the playoffs and at that point you have to every bit of ammunition you can muster.
I understand the Steelers reasoning and I don't fault them for trying to win. My problem was there were other free agent WRs of similar quality available, like Donnie Avery and Darrius Heyward-Bey, that could have been signed to reasonable contracts and you would have gotten the 3rd round pick for Sanders as a bonus.
:goodposting:

Former Lions S Louis Delmas visiting Pittsburgh Steelers today per PFT Twitter account.

I couldnt think of a better replacement for Ryan Clark.

EDIT to add Story

Last edited by a moderator:
Former Lions S Louis Delmas visiting Pittsburgh Steelers today per PFT Twitter account.

I like.

Though Im pretty damn high on HaSean Dix, he has has more range then anyone else in the draft this year.

However I think we will have our choice of several outstanding prospects at spots of need for us in this draft.

I like.

Though Im pretty damn high on HaSean Dix, he has has more range then anyone else in the draft this year.

However I think we will have our choice of several outstanding prospects at spots of need for us in this draft.
I like Ha too, but if we can get any priority FA to plug in the defense, we can shift focus on draft picks to BPA or other areas of need.

Really fellas, were that high on Louis Delmas?
Yes, our safety options have aged too much. They will be 33 and 35 this season.

Delmas brings a ton of athleticism to a FS spot. Meanwhile Shamarko at SS hasnt had any experience yet.

If we let Clark walk we save 4 million. And that can pay Delmas who our team would prefer going forward.

But.... I expect teams will have plenty of interest in Delmas, like the Broncos already do, making it a bit harder.

Delmas brings a ton of athleticism to a FS spot. Meanwhile Shamarko at SS hasnt had any experience yet.

If we let Clark walk we save 4 million. And that can pay Delmas who our team would prefer going forward.

But.... I expect teams will have plenty of interest in Delmas, like the Broncos already do, making it a bit harder.
I understand the $ & age side of things when it comes to our safeties, I guess what I was trying to say was I never thought Delmas was more than a bottom third starting safety in the NFL. Granted, that means better than what we got behind Clark, but still.

I understand the $ & age side of things when it comes to our safeties, I guess what I was trying to say was I never thought Delmas was more than a bottom third starting safety in the NFL. Granted, that means better than what we got behind Clark, but still.
What was Clark (or Farrior) before they landed in Pittsburgh? We like athletes and specimens -- they just have to be able to "figure it out" when it comes to our particular defense..

What was Clark (or Farrior) before they landed in Pittsburgh? We like athletes and specimens -- they just have to be able to "figure it out" when it comes to our particular defense..
Definitely on point with Clark and Farrior doing not much before coming here and seemingly becoming pro bowl caliber players once in our system. Did we get lucky with them though? We sign so few FA's, so who knows. What sort of sign is there that Delmas would suddenly get that much better if he were on our defense?

Hey, Im not against signing Delmas by any means, Im just saying there is nothing to make me believe he's much of an improvement at FS. As I also said though, he's better than what we got. Thats more of a statement on the crap of our safeties than anything else though.

Definitely on point with Clark and Farrior doing not much before coming here and seemingly becoming pro bowl caliber players once in our system. Did we get lucky with them though? We sign so few FA's, so who knows. What sort of sign is there that Delmas would suddenly get that much better if he were on our defense?

Hey, Im not against signing Delmas by any means, Im just saying there is nothing to make me believe he's much of an improvement at FS. As I also said though, he's better than what we got. Thats more of a statement on the crap of our safeties than anything else though.
I think its his athleticism coupled with his willingness to hit. They just have to get him to remain "deep" as the FS.

It really comes down to LeBeau and Lake thinking he can rock the position.

Also, are we going to be losing in a big free agents that would no longer allow for 2015 compensatory pick if we sign him?

BigSteelThrill said:
Kenny Powers said:

Doesn't Delmas have a history of knee injuries?

Didn't this guy just get cut as a cap casualty? What makes anyone think he's going to sign for as cheaply as he'd have to sign for Pittsburgh to afford him at all?

Hey, Im not against signing Delmas by any means, Im just saying there is nothing to make me believe he's much of an improvement at FS
Pretty much the same feeling here.

Saying "yeah, but he's better than Ryan Clark" doesn't exactly give me the feels.

BigSteelThrill said:
Kenny Powers said:
BigSteelThrill said:
Kenny Powers said:

I think its his athleticism coupled with his willingness to hit. They just have to get him to remain "deep" as the FS.

Also, are we going to be losing in a big free agents that would no longer allow for 2015 compensatory pick if we sign him?
BST - Delmas was cut by DET so that would not affect compensatory picks.

BigSteelThrill said:
Kenny Powers said:
BigSteelThrill said:
Kenny Powers said:

BST - Delmas was cut by DET so that would not affect compensatory picks.
I thought that only was for people we cut (if you cut them you get no comp), but that also goes for people you sign? Ok then.

It might seem counter-intuitive, but I think the salary cap increase makes it more likely that Woodley gets cut.

It might seem counter-intuitive, but I think the salary cap increase makes it more likely that Woodley gets cut.
I agree. The question is whether to cut him loose how and eat the $14 million in dead cap space but then be done with it or wait until June 1 and have him count only $5.6 million this year and $9 million in 2015.

I also wonder what affect Jason Worilds will have on the Woodley situation. I think it is a safe assumption that the Steelers won't keep both but would they be willing to cut Woodley if Worilds goes to another team?

Very interesting times...

I agree. The question is whether to cut him loose how and eat the $14 million in dead cap space but then be done with it or wait until June 1 and have him count only $5.6 million this year and $9 million in 2015.

I also wonder what affect Jason Worilds will have on the Woodley situation. I think it is a safe assumption that the Steelers won't keep both but would they be willing to cut Woodley if Worilds goes to another team?

Woodley is maddening, because (at times this season when healthy) he appeared to be the Woodley of old and was a disruptive force.

He has just been so darn injured recently that freeing up that kind of cash and using it elsewhere (on priority FA and in a deep draft) seem like the best option.

If they are willing to take the $14M hit then Pittsburgh could try trading him - the cap hit would be the same. Of course a team would have to be willing to take on his salary or more likely try to sign him to a new deal as part of a trade.

Cant they cut him now and yet name him as a June 1st cut? Im sure that's a possibility in the NFL salary structure.

On Wednesday, Pittsburgh Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert said there's a possibility that the organization could be more active in free agency this year than in year's past.

BigSteelThrill said:
On Wednesday, Pittsburgh Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert said there's a possibility that the organization could be more active in free agency this year than in year's past.
[LloydChristmas] So youre saying there's a chance.... [/LloydChristmas]

I'm still annoyed that they matched Emmanuel Sanders last season. He is 100% gone this year, and maybe the Steelers would have been better served letting Wheaton get more PT last season.

Packers won't be signing BJ Raji.

I know he hasn't looked fantastic but I think there's still some talent there. All questions of cost aside, purely on talent and potential -- is he a better answer than Nix for a NT?

Packers won't be signing BJ Raji.

I know he hasn't looked fantastic but I think there's still some talent there. All questions of cost aside, purely on talent and potential -- is he a better answer than Nix for a NT?
Raji has a good first step and penetration ability, which is terrific for a man his size, but he cant change his course (lateral agility) to save his life. He isnt the best at being a pure roadblock either.

Does anyone else think this is a "make or break" year for Colbert? At one time, the thought was remote at best. But now . . .

monessen said:
Does anyone else think this is a "make or break" year for Colbert? At one time, the thought was remote at best. But now . . .
Nope. I think he hasnt been as stellar as he was, but saying he could get fired this year is silliness to me.

Two guys projected to the Steelers in several mocks both have had great days at the combine thus far - Michigan OT Taylor Lewan and Texas A&M WR Mike Evans.

Two guys projected to the Steelers in several mocks both have had great days at the combine thus far - Michigan OT Taylor Lewan and Texas A&M WR Mike Evans.
As much as I like Evans, there is so much depth at WR seems like it would be sort of a waste for a 1st round pick on a team with a lot of defensive needs. Lewan, I'd be ok with.

As much as I like Evans, there is so much depth at WR seems like it would be sort of a waste for a 1st round pick on a team with a lot of defensive needs. Lewan, I'd be ok with.
I think they're going to go BPA, provided it isn't a QB or RB. Every other position except maybe interior OL or DE is in play. I doubt they go WR in the first, but I certainly wouldn't rule it out especially after they publicly said they're going to make a big receiver a priority. Could potentially be a guy like Ebron rather than a flanker, but if Evans is the top rated player on their board still available at 15, they'll take him, IMO.

My takeaways for the Steelers in the Shark Pool mock if anyone is remotely interested...

Round 1)

1.15 - ✦ Pittsburgh selects Michigan St CB Darqueze Dennard

The selection is the best "mirror" cornerback in the draft. Especially love the ability to handle the slot/nickel.

While Justin Gilbert might lend himself better to an outside corner who can play zone and help the run (very typical for the Steelers historically under Lebeau) and excel on special teams... the value of a true coverage type corner with slot ability has gone up considerably in recent years. Even Pittsburgh and their zone scheme was ready to take Revis a couple seasons ago.

Also very high on the coverage and range of HaSean Clinton-Dix. But the news is that FS Louis Delmas and the Steelers have made each other a priority.
Round 2)

2.14 (#46) - ✦ Pittsburgh selects Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt

Hands, hands, hands.

The

in SEC history (and yet only 21/22). Competition isnt in question.Tall at around 6'3" with a strong build. Knows how to battle and hand-fight for the ball. Just what Big Ben needs.

Did I mention he can catch? He has hauled in several 1 handed passes throughout his career... with either his left or right hand.

Ready to play. Lots of experience and playtime. 206 for 2800 over the past two seasons.

Wont be a blazer (timed 4.46 at combine) or an ankle-breaker. His comparison is dead on Keenan Allen sans a ligament sprain.

#2 and #3 WRs are both currently free agents.
Round 3)

3.97 - ✦ Pittsburgh selects Wisconsin ILB Chris Borland (comp pick)

Strengths: Heady, passionate player. Consistently diagnoses action correctly, attacking seams to make plays near the line of scrimmage and showing better than advertised speed and change of direction while dropping into coverage. He is a no-nonsense LB, showing impressive pop and determination to get to the ball. Borland is disciplined in space and is rarely fooled, showing good body positioning and timing in coverage.

Weaknesses: Despite stellar production, Borland's pedestrian size and athleticism hurt, but there is some validity to the Zach Thomas comparisons. He lacks elite speed and range to consistently play sideline-to-sideline, but effort and motor aren't questions - his body and mind are always at full-go. Lack of length shows near the line of scrimmage.
Round 4)

4.114 - ✦ Pittsburgh selects Stanford DE Josh Mauro

6'6" 282# (and our #2, #3, #4 DEs are free agents)

STRENGTHS: Broad-shouldered, country-strong defensive lineman whose versatility is sure to intrigue scouts operating for 4-3 and 3-4 teams alike. Lined up predominately at defensive end for the Cardinal but also saw action inside as a defensive tackle and even on the nose. Possesses good initial quickness off the snap and is very powerful, using his long arms and strong hands to stonewall would-be blockers and often shed them to be in position to make a play at the point of attack. Physical tackler who arrives with a thud and wraps his arms securely for the reliable take-down. Alert defender who gets his hands into passing lanes.

High effort player who hustles down the line of scrimmage in an effort to make the play. Projects best as a five-technique defensive end.

WEAKNESSES: Steadily improved throughout his collegiate career but may be maxed out athletically-speaking. Surrounded by a lot of talent and was not the focus of opponents' blocking schemes. Offers little as a traditional pass rusher. While quick, strong and determined, does not possess the top-end speed or the flexibility to turn the corner and close in a flash.

COMPARES TO: Brett Keisel, Steelers -- Don't count on Mauro for blinding speed off the edge but his size, strength and toughness could make him a dependable five-technique defensive end.

Last edited by a moderator:
After the combine, I'm hoping we get one of these guys in the 1st (in no particular order, and yes obviously Id want Watkins Clowney Mack or Robinson, but I acknowledge those guys will be gone by PIT pick):

WR: Mike Evans

TE: Eric Ebron

LT: Taylor Lewan, Jake Matthews

DE: Kony Ealy

NT: Louis Nix III

S: Ha Ha Clinton Dix

CB: Justin Gilbert, Darqueze Dennard

Not 100% sold on Nix and Ealy (but wouldn't cry about either pick) - total agreement on everyone else. If 3 QBs go in the top 8, at least one of those guys should be there. If 4 do, then at least one definitely will. I'd throw Mosley into the mix there too.

My takeaways for the Steelers in the Shark Pool mock if anyone is remotely interested...

Round 1)

1.15 - ✦ Pittsburgh selects Michigan St CB Darqueze Dennard

The selection is the best "mirror" cornerback in the draft. Especially love the ability to handle the slot/nickel.

While Justin Gilbert might lend himself better to an outside corner who can play zone and help the run (very typical for the Steelers historically under Lebeau) and excel on special teams... the value of a true coverage type corner with slot ability has gone up considerably in recent years. Even Pittsburgh and their zone scheme was ready to take Revis a couple seasons ago.

Also very high on the coverage and range of HaSean Clinton-Dix. But the news is that FS Louis Delmas and the Steelers have made each other a priority.
Round 2)

2.14 (#46) - ✦ Pittsburgh selects Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt

Hands, hands, hands.

The

in SEC history (and yet only 21/22). Competition isnt in question.Tall at around 6'3" with a strong build. Knows how to battle and hand-fight for the ball. Just what Big Ben needs.

Did I mention he can catch? He has hauled in several 1 handed passes throughout his career... with either his left or right hand.

Ready to play. Lots of experience and playtime. 206 for 2800 over the past two seasons.

Wont be a blazer (timed 4.46 at combine) or an ankle-breaker. His comparison is dead on Keenan Allen sans a ligament sprain.

#2 and #3 WRs are both currently free agents.
Round 3)

3.97 - ✦ Pittsburgh selects Wisconsin ILB Chris Borland (comp pick)

Strengths: Heady, passionate player. Consistently diagnoses action correctly, attacking seams to make plays near the line of scrimmage and showing better than advertised speed and change of direction while dropping into coverage. He is a no-nonsense LB, showing impressive pop and determination to get to the ball. Borland is disciplined in space and is rarely fooled, showing good body positioning and timing in coverage.

Weaknesses: Despite stellar production, Borland's pedestrian size and athleticism hurt, but there is some validity to the Zach Thomas comparisons. He lacks elite speed and range to consistently play sideline-to-sideline, but effort and motor aren't questions - his body and mind are always at full-go. Lack of length shows near the line of scrimmage.
Round 4)

4.114 - ✦ Pittsburgh selects Stanford DE Josh Mauro

6'6" 282# (and our #2, #3, #4 DEs are free agents)

STRENGTHS: Broad-shouldered, country-strong defensive lineman whose versatility is sure to intrigue scouts operating for 4-3 and 3-4 teams alike. Lined up predominately at defensive end for the Cardinal but also saw action inside as a defensive tackle and even on the nose. Possesses good initial quickness off the snap and is very powerful, using his long arms and strong hands to stonewall would-be blockers and often shed them to be in position to make a play at the point of attack. Physical tackler who arrives with a thud and wraps his arms securely for the reliable take-down. Alert defender who gets his hands into passing lanes.

High effort player who hustles down the line of scrimmage in an effort to make the play. Projects best as a five-technique defensive end.

WEAKNESSES: Steadily improved throughout his collegiate career but may be maxed out athletically-speaking. Surrounded by a lot of talent and was not the focus of opponents' blocking schemes. Offers little as a traditional pass rusher. While quick, strong and determined, does not possess the top-end speed or the flexibility to turn the corner and close in a flash.

COMPARES TO: Brett Keisel, Steelers -- Don't count on Mauro for blinding speed off the edge but his size, strength and toughness could make him a dependable five-technique defensive end.
Fine work, my friend.

Not 100% sold on Nix and Ealy (but wouldn't cry about either pick) - total agreement on everyone else. If 3 QBs go in the top 8, at least one of those guys should be there. If 4 do, then at least one definitely will. I'd throw Mosley into the mix there too.
I'm honestly hoping we trade down and get an extra pick in the 2nd or 3rd -- this is the right draft to move down a few slots and get as many picks as possible to revamp the D

The Hank said:
Evilgrin 72 said:
I'm honestly hoping we trade down and get an extra pick in the 2nd or 3rd -- this is the right draft to move down a few slots and get as many picks as possible to revamp the D
Agreed. Where we're sitting, it's probably unlikely that there's going to be that ONE GUY someone else covets enough to give up an additional draft pick for, but you never know. Maybe if one of the top 3 tackles or QBs falls, it could happen. Usually, you see the trades in the first 5-9 picks or so, or at the tail end of the round with teams looking to move into the late first to grab a QB ahead of the teams drafting at the top of the second. I don't recall a ton of trades into the middle of the first that didn't involve a QB (but Polamalu was taken after such a deal, so maybe....)

Seems like we say I hope we trade down every year - and we dont. Every other team wants to do the same thing in a deep draft, so I have trouble seeing things change this year.

With how high we're picking, we are pretty much guaranteed to have a shot at an elite guy, as shown by EG's calculus earlier based on Hank's list and 3-4 QBs going before we pick. I think Id almost prefer we hold pat with our 1st rounder, and then just dont blow our 2nd and 3rd round picks which we have had a penchant for over the last 5 yrs or so (not counting last year yet).

If the 'Lers get Denard and Matthews they will have filled 2 big needs.

I would give them A+ for rds 1 and 2.

After that, they need to use the comp picks the best they can, trade up/or not, but get some guys that can play, OL, DL, LB

First it was ILB Darryl Smith being a free agent out of Baltimore.

Now its .... Browns release ILB D'Qwell Jackson.

:drive:
Lotta people in the thread saying he was released seem to think he's fallen off the last couple years. I guess PFF also had him in the bottom 6 of ILBs against the run as well. I thought that was supposed to be his strength? Supposedly a better fit in the 4-3 as well. Considering his age, and likely pricetage, Id hope we pass on him.

After the combine, I'm hoping we get one of these guys in the 1st (in no particular order, and yes obviously Id want Watkins Clowney Mack or Robinson, but I acknowledge those guys will be gone by PIT pick):

This just shows the Steelers are in great territory. They'll be on the tale end of where the drop off is but an elite talent that probably would have gone at the top of last years draft is going to fall to them this year, hope they just sit still.

First it was ILB Darryl Smith being a free agent out of Baltimore.

Now its .... Browns release ILB D'Qwell Jackson.

:drive:
Lotta people in the thread saying he was released seem to think he's fallen off the last couple years. I guess PFF also had him in the bottom 6 of ILBs against the run as well. I thought that was supposed to be his strength? Supposedly a better fit in the 4-3 as well. Considering his age, and likely pricetage, Id hope we pass on him.
I agree, pass on D'Qwell -- Honestly I thought Vince Williams and Terence Garvin did a decent job towards the end of the year flanking Timmons

This just shows the Steelers are in great territory. They'll be on the tale end of where the drop off is but an elite talent that probably would have gone at the top of last years draft is going to fall to them this year, hope they just sit still.
Yep, this is what Im thinking.

Users who are viewing this thread