What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

10th Annual Chess Tournament: Joffer wins 1st place (1 Viewer)

Woz loses to Brownsfan. He had a nice tactic that I just didn’t see. 

Not my finest tournament here. 

ETA: I played as black. Not sure if that matters as I keep getting the sides screwed up. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Frankly given how badly I'm playing this tournament I'd welcome a small break. Get mouthy Tim!

nys defeats shuke

He started out with a strong attack and really had me on my heels, then a blunder completely flipped the game

Standings going into Round 6: 

Joffer (5)

Cashman88 (4)

AAA Batteries (3)

Bigjim (3) 

Bogart (3)

Psychopav (3)

timschochet (3)

Sand (2.5)

Juxtatarot (2.5) 

Brownsfan (2) 

Nick Vermeil (2) 

nysfl2 (2) 

Scoobus (2)

Zow (2) 

Shuke (1) 

Dezbelief (0) 

@Bogart defeated me. He played a brilliant game. 

3 wins, 3 losses. My worst tournament by far. But that’s OK because the competition has gotten stronger which is great. 

@Bogart defeated me. He played a brilliant game. 

3 wins, 3 losses. My worst tournament by far. But that’s OK because the competition has gotten stronger which is great. 

Really appreciate it. That was an enjoyable game and a rare time that I was seeing moves/lines actually going backwards to defend and not just attack. 

Watching a ton of Hikaru and GothamChess on YouTube and I guess some of that stuff is rubbing off on me.

I don't know how much I learn from him, but the guy can make me laugh about chess.  That's talent.  I learn the most from John Bartholomew.

Hikaru is a supercomputer masquerading as human.
Agree wholeheartedly about Bartholomew....Hikaru blows me away with his speed.  I usually have to watch ...pause...rewind....watch again :).  These days chessable is my best friend.

I don't know how much I learn from him, but the guy can make me laugh about chess.  That's talent.  I learn the most from John Bartholomew.

Hikaru is a supercomputer masquerading as human.

Agree wholeheartedly about Bartholomew....Hikaru blows me away with his speed.  I usually have to watch ...pause...rewind....watch again :).  These days chessable is my best friend.

I will have to check out Bartholomew and chessable, have missed out on those.

Magnus isn't fun to watch on YT unless he is drunk. Levy I watch almost daily and he does entertain and teach, for my level at least. And I miss the days of Hikaru when everything was a "juicer". 

Have been giving Coffee Chess, chessbrah and Botez some of my attention lately. chessbrah has some great challenges like "win a game without moving a piece backwards" or "win a game against 1500 with losing pawns only". 

EDIT: Forgot to mention Eric Rosen. His content is good, but he's become Chess ASMR for me and I will go to sleep to one of his videos.

Last edited by a moderator:
 will have to check out Bartholomew 
He makes it look easy - mostly because he's incredibly clear with explanations.  He's also the most sanguine person I've ever seen about the clock.  "Yes, I am looking at Bb7 here and there is 10 seconds on the clock to respond to GM Hikaru.  Maybe I should go ahead and play this move here..."  Blows me away.

I believe he's the most watched chess person on Youtube.  For good reason - he really excels at teaching.

Bogart said:
I will have to check out Bartholomew and chessable, have missed out on those.

Magnus isn't fun to watch on YT unless he is drunk. Levy I watch almost daily and he does entertain and teach, for my level at least. And I miss the days of Hikaru when everything was a "juicer". 

Have been giving Coffee Chess, chessbrah and Botez some of my attention lately. chessbrah has some great challenges like "win a game without moving a piece backwards" or "win a game against 1500 with losing pawns only". 

EDIT: Forgot to mention Eric Rosen. His content is good, but he's become Chess ASMR for me and I will go to sleep to one of his videos.
You're missing out on Ben Finegold. Easily the most entertaining. Bartholomew the best for learning. 

Users who are viewing this thread