What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG Chess Tournament- 1st place to Zow, Winner! (1 Viewer)

Tri-man and I are well in to mid game but it’s anybody’s game at the moment.
But @AAABatteries takes the win.

Interesting and fun match: Through much of the game, it was an unusual battle almost entirely on the D and E files. I was able to put on some pressure after that, but he fought it off and things suddenly reversed course as he advanced a pawn - supported by a rook - on an open board, which called for most of my remaining resources to ensure he didn't promote the dang thing.

Zow offered a draw and a gladly accepted. Good game. This has got to be my best FBG tourney ever at this point.
Yep, very good game - by that, in a good way, I mean solid and boring. You responded to my basic e4 opening with the Philidor (sp?) defense and I usually like attacking that defense. Through natural play I was able to get a pawn up and thought I had a slight positional advantage and went for it a bit when I went bishop to e2 with the discovered attack on your queen and, honestly, I thought doing so in this relatively sharp line would induce a blunder but I think you responded about as well as you could have. After that I made a series of sub-ideal moves and you played very solidly - in fact getting on the offensive - and pushing us back to what appeared to me to be a completely drawing position as I didn't have any really good counter play and you likely getting the pawn back in a few moves provided no blunders.

When I offered you the draw I was seriously considering either bishop to b3 to force the trade (and the game, barring blunders, almost certainly ends in a draw) or g2 to g4 to give my king space and to move it up the board to provide some reinforcement on the king side. I probably would have rolled with the latter just because, and please don't take offense to this, your correct moves probably wouldn't have been as obvious as the bishop move. For like two minutes I seriously considered creating chaos and assuredly putting us in a position where one of us wins by going pawn to f5, but you were playing so well I decided to give you plenty of credit that you wouldn't blunder in that line and that made me conclude that a draw offer seemed to be appropriate.

Last edited:
Zow offered a draw and a gladly accepted. Good game. This has got to be my best FBG tourney ever at this point.
Yep, very good game - by that, in a good way, I mean solid and boring. You responded to my basic e4 opening with the Philidor (sp?) defense and I usually like attacking that defense. Through natural play I was able to get a pawn up and thought I had a slight positional advantage and went for it a bit when I went bishop to e2 with the discovered attack on your queen and, honestly, I thought doing so in this relatively sharp line would induce a blunder but I think you responded about as well as you could have. After that I made a series of sub-ideal moves and you played very solidly - in fact getting on the offensive - and pushing us back to what appeared to me to be a completely drawing position as I didn't have any really good counter play and you likely getting the pawn back in a few moves provided no blunders.

When I offered you the draw I was seriously considering either bishop to b3 to force the trade (and the game, barring blunders, almost certainly ends in a draw) or g2 to g4 to give my king space and to move it up the board to provide some reinforcement on the king side. I probably would have rolled with the latter just because, and please don't take offense to this, your correct moves probably wouldn't have been as obviously as the bishop move. For like two minutes I seriously considered creating chaos and assuredly putting us in a position where one of us wins by going pawn to f5, but you were playing so well I decided to give you plenty of credit that you wouldn't blunder in that line and that made me conclude that a draw offer seemed to be appropriate.
Never underestimate my ability to blunder a line.

When I offered you the draw I was seriously considering either bishop to b3 to force the trade (and the game, barring blunders, almost certainly ends in a draw) or g2 to g4 to give my king space and to move it up the board to provide some reinforcement on the king side. I probably would have rolled with the latter just because, and please don't take offense to this, your correct moves probably wouldn't have been as obviously as the bishop move. For like two minutes I seriously considered creating chaos and assuredly putting us in a position where one of us wins by going pawn to f5, but you were playing so well I decided to give you plenty of credit that you wouldn't blunder in that line and that made me conclude that a draw offer seemed to be appropriate.
Never underestimate my ability to blunder a line.
Now you tell me!

Okay, @Nick Vermeil in the past few minutes I ran our game through an analyzer to see if my read on the game was off. Learned the following:

1. While neither of us had an edge, I was definitely up more than a point when I captured your pawn and created isolated pawns for you. But, thereafter I made just mediocre moves (not blunders, but just moves that slowly gave away my advantage and my advancing my pawn on the B file - which I admit I did more so out of frustration because you were attacking me - was a poor play that allowed you to put more pressure on my king) and you made very strong moves. Basically, I had the advantage in the opening but you outplayed me in the middle game which makes sense to me because that's probably where I'm at my worst.
2. Speaking of blunders, neither of us had a clear blunder and for the most part our moves were consistently in the top 3 best moves for the position (assuming I'm interpreting the analyzer correctly - I've never used one like this before). That's pretty impressive.
3. You seemed in your message to me to be unhappy with your last move. Honestly, your comment to me panicked me because I didn't see any issue with it and didn't know how to interpret. I thought I maybe had some mating line but when I couldn't see it after staring at the board for a long time, I thought maybe you meant you missed something. But I just didn't see anything so your reaction in the chat had me perplexed. Per the analyzer, your last move there was totally fine and I think it was like the second best move you could have made there or something (I closed the analyzer prior to typing this).
4. Per the analyzer, I was correct that my next moves should have been either of the two I was looking at as both were equally correct and the game would have been essentially equal assuming just a standard, solid response from you. I very likely would have played g2 to g4 but you had multiple ways you could have reasonably responded without much issue.
5. The game was essentially even when I offered the draw! So, right call probably by the both of us and a very fair result.

Okay, @Nick Vermeil in the past few minutes I ran our game through an analyzer to see if my read on the game was off. Learned the following:

1. While neither of us had an edge, I was definitely up more than a point when I captured your pawn and created isolated pawns for you. But, thereafter I made just mediocre moves (not blunders, but just moves that slowly gave away my advantage and my advancing my pawn on the B file - which I admit I did more so out of frustration because you were attacking me - was a poor play that allowed you to put more pressure on my king) and you made very strong moves. Basically, I had the advantage in the opening but you outplayed me in the middle game which makes sense to me because that's probably where I'm at my worst.
2. Speaking of blunders, neither of us had a clear blunder and for the most part our moves were consistently in the top 3 best moves for the position (assuming I'm interpreting the analyzer correctly - I've never used one like this before). That's pretty impressive.
3. You seemed in your message to me to be unhappy with your last move. Honestly, your comment to me panicked me because I didn't see any issue with it and didn't know how to interpret. I thought I maybe had some mating line but when I couldn't see it after staring at the board for a long time, I thought maybe you meant you missed something. But I just didn't see anything so your reaction in the chat had me perplexed. Per the analyzer, your last move there was totally fine and I think it was like the second best move you could have made there or something (I closed the analyzer prior to typing this).
4. Per the analyzer, I was correct that my next moves should have been either of the two I was looking at as both were equally correct and the game would have been essentially equal assuming just a standard, solid response from you. I very likely would have played g2 to g4 but you had multiple ways you could have reasonably responded without much issue.
5. The game was essentially even when I offered the draw! So, right call probably by the both of us and a very fair result.
Interesting. What analyzer are you using? As to my message about being unhappy, I think it would have been better if I had pressured your rook with my pawn to f6. I have no idea if that was the better move technically but I figured that would have kept you on the defensive allowing me to clean up a few of your pawns along the way and maybe getting one of my own eventually to promotion. No way to know for sure but my move on that turn felt too cautious and took me out of the offensive.

Interesting. What analyzer are you using? As to my message about being unhappy, I think it would have been better if I had pressured your rook with my pawn to f6. I have no idea if that was the better move technically but I figured that would have kept you on the defensive allowing me to clean up a few of your pawns along the way and maybe getting one of my own eventually to promotion. No way to know for sure but my move on that turn felt too cautious and took me out of the offensive.
I think it's stockfish as offered by Chess365. I like Chess365 because, combined with youtube, it's how I learned openings during Covid. So it's whatever engine/analyzer thingy they have on their site.

As to your move to f6, that would have cost you the game (and have been the first blunder!) and is the move I hoped you made when I went rook to g5. Here's why: it allows me to capture your bishop with my rook on d5 because, if you then take my rook with yours, my next move is bishop b3 which pins your rook to your king and you can't defend your rook. Then, after I'm up a bishop and a pawn, I'm inevitably promoting on the left side of the board and you're toast.

Per the analyzer, had you moved pawn to f6, I'm now almost +9 and basically the game is mine. Knowing this now, your best move of the entire game was to decline my offer to allow you a take back! Which, to be clear, I wasn't offering to entice you to make a worse move, but instead you seemed unhappy with your move, I was panicking because I wasn't seeing why you were upset, and I was trying to be gentlemanly with the offer.

Invite sent, though we might need to reverse it so I’m white. Battle to the bottom!

@shuke , see my message. I should have let you make the invite so I'd start as white.

Last edited:
@Bogart I sent you something this weekend.

Name on the app is going to be Bowlin. Can you resend? Thanks!!
Done. You should be white, so we'll need to flip when you accept.

BTW someone from the Philippines has your name.
I think i messed up your invite, so I sent you one.

And damn them.... don't they know I thought I was being super creative back in 1996 and should have that name everywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread