What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** 2012 Official Philadelphia Eagles Post Mortem Thread *** (1 Viewer)

Out of the 62 wins in 7 years (which is less than 9 per season btw)only 17 have come against teams with winning records. That's a Mike Missanelli stat fwiw.
:goodposting: I came in to post this stat. I think Baldy had mentioned it first, but it is very, very telling.
I don't know which is more telling...only 27% of their wins in the last 7 years is against quality opponents, or we're somehow supposed to be impressed with a 9 win on average season. Neither jumps out at me as "elite" status.But hey, Andy was the bomb back in 2004.
To be fair, this stat is only meaningful if we have the same info for other teams in the league. In other words, how do the Eagles compare to the Pats, Packers, etc when they play teams with winning records.
Agree. But it would seem if you're an 'elite' team, you should be somewhere near .500 against winning teams. At least win 1 out of 3. They're basically winning about 1 out 4 against winning teams. That seems low to me.ETA: Aren't the Packers like 6-0 against playoff teams this year? I know, I know...its the Packers. But in year 13 of a coach's tenure we should be a lot closer to them then we are to the Raiders/Chiefs/Bills/Browns of the league.

Last edited by a moderator:
'Snotbubbles said:
I may be in the minority here, but I think the coordinator that needs to go is Marty Mornhinweg (not that I would be opposed to Castillo going too). I know he won't be fired but I am praying that he gets an offer to take a head coaching job at the college level (there were rumors he might go to PSU at one point since his son had committed there). The offense stalled in the second half of many (if not all) of those 4th quarter meltdowns and the playcalling was downright baffling at times - especially at the goal line. If they were able to sustain drives and maybe even run up the score like the Saints, Packers, and Patriots did, the defensive deficiencies would have been much easier to overcome - after all, those three teams had plenty of issues on defense too yet they are the consensus top 3 teams in the playoffs.
Yeah, I mean the Eagles offense only set a franchise record for yards gained. Turnovers really killed this team. Vick was horrible taking care of the ball.
Lots of yardage records were broken this year thanks to rule changes that favor the offense. Points are all that count on the scoreboard and the Eagle "record setting offense" put up a combined 3 points in the 4th quarter of the 5 most grotesque losses of the year (ATL, NYG, SF, CHI, ARI) while their opponents combined for 60 points. 4 of those 5 games were lost by a combined 15 points, so if the offense managed an extra 2 TDs they could have won 11-12 games.Vick and plenty of other share blame here for turnovers, dumb penalties, etc., but Mornhinweg should not get a free pass here just because they put up a bunch of yards. The offense was supposed to be high-scoring yet they scored an average of 10 points per game less than the Packers and Saints - that's somehow okay?

'jasvic said:
'Amused to Death said:
'unckeyherb said:
Out of the 62 wins in 7 years (which is less than 9 per season btw)only 17 have come against teams with winning records. That's a Mike Missanelli stat fwiw.
:goodposting: I came in to post this stat. I think Baldy had mentioned it first, but it is very, very telling.
I don't know which is more telling...only 27% of their wins in the last 7 years is against quality opponents, or we're somehow supposed to be impressed with a 9 win on average season. Neither jumps out at me as "elite" status.But hey, Andy was the bomb back in 2004.
To be fair, this stat is only meaningful if we have the same info for other teams in the league. In other words, how do the Eagles compare to the Pats, Packers, etc when they play teams with winning records.
I was wondering the same thing. Actually, how many of their wins came against teams with winning records is meaningless unless you know how many games they played against teams with winning records and what their winning % is for those games.... 17 out of what? How does that compare to others? Good teams do lose games - they tend to lose them to other good teams and occasionally to bad teams too. Radio Talk Show Hosts are paid to get ratings - Missenalli and Baldi are doing their job pushing the buttons on a hot topic issue that will generate calls.

'jasvic said:
'Amused to Death said:
'unckeyherb said:
I was wondering the same thing. Actually, how many of their wins came against teams with winning records is meaningless unless you know how many games they played against teams with winning records and what their winning % is for those games.... 17 out of what? How does that compare to others? Good teams do lose games - they tend to lose them to other good teams and occasionally to bad teams too. Radio Talk Show Hosts are paid to get ratings - Missenalli and Baldi are doing their job pushing the buttons on a hot topic issue that will generate calls.
:goodposting: The bolded makes my previous post flawed. :bag:

I don't think we hire Spags. I say Andy doubles down on the "all-in" notion, if you will. I actually think if we hired Spags, he could easily transition into our new HC in 2013 if, say, our season gets tanked b/c of a long-term Vick injury or something of the like but the D looks really good. It would be easy to just then let Vick and Reid go at the same time, while transitioning to Spags. Will that happen though? No. Andy is gonna ride this thing all the way to the top or the bottom his way...

Two Eagles made Profootballfocus' Top Ten Offensive players of the season. To make this fun... any guesses who they are? Bet you will have trouble with one of them... (no cheating....)

'Snotbubbles said:
I may be in the minority here, but I think the coordinator that needs to go is Marty Mornhinweg (not that I would be opposed to Castillo going too). I know he won't be fired but I am praying that he gets an offer to take a head coaching job at the college level (there were rumors he might go to PSU at one point since his son had committed there). The offense stalled in the second half of many (if not all) of those 4th quarter meltdowns and the playcalling was downright baffling at times - especially at the goal line. If they were able to sustain drives and maybe even run up the score like the Saints, Packers, and Patriots did, the defensive deficiencies would have been much easier to overcome - after all, those three teams had plenty of issues on defense too yet they are the consensus top 3 teams in the playoffs.
Yeah, I mean the Eagles offense only set a franchise record for yards gained. Turnovers really killed this team. Vick was horrible taking care of the ball.
Lots of yardage records were broken this year thanks to rule changes that favor the offense. Points are all that count on the scoreboard and the Eagle "record setting offense" put up a combined 3 points in the 4th quarter of the 5 most grotesque losses of the year (ATL, NYG, SF, CHI, ARI) while their opponents combined for 60 points. 4 of those 5 games were lost by a combined 15 points, so if the offense managed an extra 2 TDs they could have won 11-12 games.Vick and plenty of other share blame here for turnovers, dumb penalties, etc., but Mornhinweg should not get a free pass here just because they put up a bunch of yards. The offense was supposed to be high-scoring yet they scored an average of 10 points per game less than the Packers and Saints - that's somehow okay?
1. Marty Morhingweg can't do anything about stopping the other teams offense. When you go into the 4th quarter with the lead, it's the defenses job to hold the lead, not the offenses.2. In two of the 5 games we had to use our third string QB. In another, our FG kicker missed two chip shots.

I think we're making too much of the Wide 9.If we do make a change at DC, I don't see why Reid wouldn't let them run the scheme they're most comfortable (within the construct of the 4-3).
The wide nine did make them tops in the league in sacks. They just couldn't maintain gap discipline and/or their linebackers look like 5th graders out there. Either way they need some big LBs with some athletic ability.
Im in the fire Reid campThat said, Im on the fence for next year. If you look at the stats, and not the game tape, the Defense (not the offense) overall was MUCH MUCH better this season than last.I would like to see Juan/Reid get 2/3 more season. If it doesnt work by then, clean house as Vick will likely be gone.

I think we're making too much of the Wide 9.

If we do make a change at DC, I don't see why Reid wouldn't let them run the scheme they're most comfortable (within the construct of the 4-3).
The wide nine did make them tops in the league in sacks. They just couldn't maintain gap discipline and/or their linebackers look like 5th graders out there. Either way they need some big LBs with some athletic ability.
Make no mistake, I have no problem with the Wide 9. I'm just saying that we're not going to pass up the likes of Steve Spagnuolo or someone else because of a defensive line scheme. Now whether we actually fire Juan (or demote him) is another issue entirely.
I don't know what to think of that issue. They obviously were enamored with Washburn as they put him in place prior to a DC (effectively eliminating options as no one wants to have a partial system in place before they come in). I'd be surprised if Spags would come here with the understanding that Washburn's system remains and conversely, I don't know that Washburn would be willing to throw away the wide 9's (or whatever you call the modification they made at the end of the year-wide 6's?). Very pessimistic about Babin outside of the wide 9's. Getting rid of Asante is not ideal IMO, but a necessary evil I suppose. We will regret the whole DJax debacle if he is not in Eagles green next year. I understand the reasons to bounce him, both from an injury risk and battitude standpoint, however, what he brings to the field and makes defenses account for makes EVERYONE on that offense look better than they are; Celek, Maclin, Vick, McCoy all take steps back if he is not out there next year.
Yea, Im on the fence about DJax. Im a believer that 90% of great WRs are divas and thats what makes them great so we should treat them as such. The reality is that we should have planned to pay DJax this offseason. I understand why we didnt, but I believe it was a mistake.

1. Marty Morhingweg can't do anything about stopping the other teams offense. When you go into the 4th quarter with the lead, it's the defenses job to hold the lead, not the offenses. 2. In two of the 5 games we had to use our third string QB. In another, our FG kicker missed two chip shots.
You can give Morhingweg all the excuses you want, I just can't believe any eagles fan would think he did a good job this year. They were not able to burn the clock by sustaining drives late in games to keep the opposing offenses off the field - that is how he is supposed to help to stop the other teams offense! Sure, the defense did not do a good enough job either (and there is plenty of discussion in this thread covering that), but I am not okay with giving anyone a free pass this season. Don't you think the play calling had SOME sort of effect on the number of turnovers? Asking Vince Young to pass on his first play of the season coming in cold for an injured Vick (INT but bailed out by defense)? Giving Ronnie Brown an option to pass on a goalline rushing attempt (fumble that cost them points in a 1-point loss to the 49ers)? Continually allowing Vick to throw the ball despite his obvious regression this year when running the ball with your best player made a lot more sense?

1. Marty Morhingweg can't do anything about stopping the other teams offense. When you go into the 4th quarter with the lead, it's the defenses job to hold the lead, not the offenses. 2. In two of the 5 games we had to use our third string QB. In another, our FG kicker missed two chip shots.
You can give Morhingweg all the excuses you want, I just can't believe any eagles fan would think he did a good job this year. They were not able to burn the clock by sustaining drives late in games to keep the opposing offenses off the field - that is how he is supposed to help to stop the other teams offense! Sure, the defense did not do a good enough job either (and there is plenty of discussion in this thread covering that), but I am not okay with giving anyone a free pass this season. Don't you think the play calling had SOME sort of effect on the number of turnovers? Asking Vince Young to pass on his first play of the season coming in cold for an injured Vick (INT but bailed out by defense)? Giving Ronnie Brown an option to pass on a goalline rushing attempt (fumble that cost them points in a 1-point loss to the 49ers)? Continually allowing Vick to throw the ball despite his obvious regression this year when running the ball with your best player made a lot more sense?
Yes, Morhingweg did a good job this year. The fact still remains that the Eagles turned the ball over way too much and that was not a product of play calling.

Under Review: On film, Eagles didn't improve

http://www.csnphilly...5160&feedID=692

This is a good read.

Also about Marty, he is really nothing but a mini Reid.
:goodposting: "This is a good read" is something you can almost always say about a Ray Didinger article.

People may take exception to Philly sports talk radio and give it little credence, and for the most part they are correct to do so. WIP morning crew is worthless for quality commentary. Eskin is a blowhard and is mostly irrelevant now. Mikey Miss and his crew are credible, but can be grating if you listen every day. Beat writers need to sell papers and generate web hits.

But if you want quality observations on the Eagles, Ray Didinger is the voice of reason, imo. HoF sports writer with no agenda to push. Logical, level-headed, and will always admit when he was wrong. His analysis is usually spot-on.

Yes, Morhingweg did a good job this year. The fact still remains that the Eagles turned the ball over way too much and that was not a product of play calling.
Play calling has no impact on the turnovers? You can't throw an interception or take a sack/fumble if you are handing off to the RB. He should know his QBs lack the mental capacity to make smart decisions (like throwing the ball away), so every time he called a pass when he should have called a run, the responsibility for the ensuing turnover is most definitely on the guy calling plays.

'Terpman22 said:
Without cheating, it has to be McCoy and Peters..
That would have been my guess but Game Time is right. Mathis and Peters. I knew Mathis was having a great season but that is a bit surprising. He is a must sign this offseason.

Without cheating, it has to be McCoy and Peters..
That would have been my guess but Game Time is right. Mathis and Peters. I knew Mathis was having a great season but that is a bit surprising. He is a must sign this offseason.
I find it funny how Herremans was supposed to be this elite LG then Mathias comes in & is getting all this praise about how elite he actually was ( and not green tinted glasses elite ).

Play calling has no impact on the turnovers? You can't throw an interception or take a sack/fumble if you are handing off to the RB. He should know his QBs lack the mental capacity to make smart decisions (like throwing the ball away), so every time he called a pass when he should have called a run, the responsibility for the ensuing turnover is most definitely on the guy calling plays.
You're right. It's Marty Morhingwegs fault guys fumble the ball. :loco:

This is a good read.

:goodposting: "This is a good read" is something you can almost always say about a Ray Didinger article.

People may take exception to Philly sports talk radio and give it little credence, and for the most part they are correct to do so. WIP morning crew is worthless for quality commentary. Eskin is a blowhard and is mostly irrelevant now. Mikey Miss and his crew are credible, but can be grating if you listen every day. Beat writers need to sell papers and generate web hits.

But if you want quality observations on the Eagles, Ray Didinger is the voice of reason, imo. HoF sports writer with no agenda to push. Logical, level-headed, and will always admit when he was wrong. His analysis is usually spot-on.
Double :goodposting: Didinger knows the Eagles.

This is a good read.

Agree with you 100% on Ray and the rest of Philly media, I have to take issue though with Ray's article last week on Reid being arrogant. To your earlier point, other than Ray and in my opinion Anthony Gargano, nobody in that town fairly critiques the job Reid does accurately and without thier own personal feelings coming thorugh. Hell, Ray's Saturday morning parter Macnow has been made to look like a fool by Reid for years. How should Reid react to Missanelli in a presser when he's downright nasty to him on the air??? Reid has no time for the Philly media and I can't blame him - most of them are amateur hour. On the flip side, though I get where we as fans are suffering from Reid fatigue. It's certainly not a match made in heaven, but I don't need to read or listen to the press complain that he's not cordial to them. Just do your job, if by 2012 you still can't come to grips that we don't have **** Vermeil in our midsts than I don't know what to tell you.

This is a good read.

Agree with you 100% on Ray and the rest of Philly media, I have to take issue though with Ray's article last week on Reid being arrogant. To your earlier point, other than Ray and in my opinion Anthony Gargano, nobody in that town fairly critiques the job Reid does accurately and without thier own personal feelings coming thorugh. Hell, Ray's Saturday morning parter Macnow has been made to look like a fool by Reid for years. How should Reid react to Missanelli in a presser when he's downright nasty to him on the air??? Reid has no time for the Philly media and I can't blame him - most of them are amateur hour. On the flip side, though I get where we as fans are suffering from Reid fatigue. It's certainly not a match made in heaven, but I don't need to read or listen to the press complain that he's not cordial to them. Just do your job, if by 2012 you still can't come to grips that we don't have **** Vermeil in our midsts than I don't know what to tell you.
See I don't think Missanelli is "nasty" to Reid. Missanelli is actually pretty tame when it comes to his guests. That one press conference he set out to make a point because the audience had been harping for years that no one asks any real questions or they let andy off by not following up when he dodges. Thats all that was. Missanelli isn't even at most press conferences. Missanelli likes to take the contrarian point of view. So when all the reporters simply fall in line and forget the follow ups, he asks the tougher questions. Thats all that was. He's usually dead wrong on most issues when he does this contrarian thing but he was right on this one.

This is a good read.

See I don't think Missanelli is "nasty" to Reid. Missanelli is actually pretty tame when it comes to his guests. That one press conference he set out to make a point because the audience had been harping for years that no one asks any real questions or they let andy off by not following up when he dodges. Thats all that was. Missanelli isn't even at most press conferences. Missanelli likes to take the contrarian point of view. So when all the reporters simply fall in line and forget the follow ups, he asks the tougher questions. Thats all that was. He's usually dead wrong on most issues when he does this contrarian thing but he was right on this one.
Missanelli also wrote an article last week how great it was to be writing again on how relavent newspapers are. Give me a break - the medium is completely dead. We're 13 years into the throat clearing and non answers to direct questions, clearly he doesn't want to talk to them right?? Honestly I'd much rather have that than a Herman Edwards or Rex Ryan making an idiot out of themselves each week. I found it real telling in '07 that he went to the NY Times with the story about his boys instead of Philly magazine. If you had a dozen guys of Ray Diddys caliber covering that team than I would understand where Reid would be wrong, but honestly most of them are amateurs. No one is worth reading and between Cataldi, Eskin and Macnow, I can't choose which one annoys me more - it complete amateur hour in the Philly media.

No one is worth reading and between Cataldi, Eskin and Macnow, I can't choose which one annoys me more - it complete amateur hour in the Philly media.
You've listed them in order of annoyance for me. As painfully irrelevant as Eskin is, Cataldi's voice in the morning produces a terrible hangover effect whether I've been in the sauce or not. Macnow doesn't really bother me. Mikey Miss' is hit or miss. Diddy is the man. I ran into him about a week ago in the starbucks in Roxborough. He was very cordial, considering it was about 7 am.

This is a good read.

Missanelli also wrote an article last week how great it was to be writing again on how relavent newspapers are. Give me a break - the medium is completely dead. We're 13 years into the throat clearing and non answers to direct questions, clearly he doesn't want to talk to them right?? Honestly I'd much rather have that than a Herman Edwards or Rex Ryan making an idiot out of themselves each week. I found it real telling in '07 that he went to the NY Times with the story about his boys instead of Philly magazine. If you had a dozen guys of Ray Diddys caliber covering that team than I would understand where Reid would be wrong, but honestly most of them are amateurs. No one is worth reading and between Cataldi, Eskin and Macnow, I can't choose which one annoys me more - it complete amateur hour in the Philly media.
I agree that the sports media is pretty weak in town but they are the conduit to the fans. When he scoffs at their questions, he's basically scoffing at the fans. Not all of their questions are moronic or need to be cast aside as pointless. We don't need Herm Edwards or one of the Ryans. I'd settle for a guy that gave us a somewhat honest appraisal of his teams glaring needs and didn't patronize the fan base with "we need to do a better job of that."

This is a good read.

I agree that the sports media is pretty weak in town but they are the conduit to the fans. When he scoffs at their questions, he's basically scoffing at the fans. Not all of their questions are moronic or need to be cast aside as pointless. We don't need Herm Edwards or one of the Ryans. I'd settle for a guy that gave us a somewhat honest appraisal of his teams glaring needs and didn't patronize the fan base with "we need to do a better job of that."
Mike Tomlin comes to mind. In the couple of post game pressers I've seen he seems pretty honest, straight forward and fair bu critical of his teams' performance. That kind of response would be a welcome one in town.

'unckeyherb said:
'Insein said:
'Gold Standard said:
Mike Tomlin comes to mind. In the couple of post game pressers I've seen he seems pretty honest, straight forward and fair bu critical of his teams' performance. That kind of response would be a welcome one in town.
Exactly. You don't have to be a raving lunatic. You can be respectful and treat the fans and the media like adults without "selling out" your players. Steelers respect Tomlin a ton.

'Snotbubbles said:
Looks like Spags is coming back to Philly.http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/inq-eagles/137019633.html
It will be interesting to see if Spags incorporates Jim Washburn's wide nine technique into his defense, or if he scrapsit and Washburn has to adjust or is let go. I think if they can work together, and find LB's who can play in whatever systemthey come up with, the defense could be pretty awesome.

'Snotbubbles said:
Looks like Spags is coming back to Philly.http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/inq-eagles/137019633.html
Castillo being moved to a position coach makes a lot of sense

I sure hope the Spags news is legitimate. It's about the only thing I could get excited by considering we seem to be set on not releasing Castillo.

This should have been done last year. Not necessarily with Spags but a legitimate coordinator or a guy that paid his dues while Castillo should have become a positions coach. Wasted season.

I sure hope the Spags news is legitimate. It's about the only thing I could get excited by considering we seem to be set on not releasing Castillo.
Anthony Gargano who is very close with Spags said on his show today that the rumor had no legs, in fact he is on vacation just like Big Red. He said Spags needs to clear his head a little an weigh all options, which includes offers from other teams aside Philly.

Grigson to Indy.

Hard to know if that really hurts, but FWIW I've heard lots of good things about Grigson and that he's actually a much more astute evaluator of talent than Roseman (but to be fair to Roseman there's a lot more to being a GM than simply scouting).

Akers articles

Good article on Akers come back with the Niners. I was PO'd he missed the kicks against the Packers a year ago but considering what he was going through I can see how he didn't have his mind set on a football game that day. Hope he goes far in the playoffs.

Akers articles

Good article on Akers come back with the Niners. I was PO'd he missed the kicks against the Packers a year ago but considering what he was going through I can see how he didn't have his mind set on a football game that day. Hope he goes far in the playoffs.
The fans booed him. Talk radio slaughtered him. And even Eagles coach Andy Reid singled him out, saying, "We can all count. Those points would've helped."And when Akers' new team played Akers' old team? Philly's rookie kicker missed field goals of 39 and 33 yards and the 49ers won 24-23, with Akers kicking the winning PAT.

You think Andy Reid counted on that?

Ouch.

Great news about his daughter too!

Last edited by a moderator:
Akers articles

Another example of how much luck factors into teams being good versus winning championships. What if Akers daughter doesn't go to the doctor untilthe following week? Would he have made those FG's? Who knows, but if he had, the Eagles could have easily won that game, the Packers championship run would have never happened, and somebody else would have won the superbowl last year.

Being Philadelphia fans, we know that winning championships takes a little bit of luck, and the Eagles never seem to have it.

Akers articles

Another example of how much luck factors into teams being good versus winning championships. What if Akers daughter doesn't go to the doctor untilthe following week? Would he have made those FG's? Who knows, but if he had, the Eagles could have easily won that game, the Packers championship run would have never happened, and somebody else would have won the superbowl last year.

Being Philadelphia fans, we know that winning championships takes a little bit of luck, and the Eagles never seem to have it.
Or Akers still misses those field goals regardless of what happened. But I agree with the "luck factor", Eagles just can't seem to get it in times of need.

Grigson to Indy.Hard to know if that really hurts, but FWIW I've heard lots of good things about Grigson and that he's actually a much more astute evaluator of talent than Roseman (but to be fair to Roseman there's a lot more to being a GM than simply scouting).
Uh....there's a good shot I'll be hanging out in the Indy threads soon. Pretty sure this is the guy my buddy reports to. Looks like I'm calling him tonight. :unsure:

Grigson to Indy.Hard to know if that really hurts, but FWIW I've heard lots of good things about Grigson and that he's actually a much more astute evaluator of talent than Roseman (but to be fair to Roseman there's a lot more to being a GM than simply scouting).
Uh....there's a good shot I'll be hanging out in the Indy threads soon. Pretty sure this is the guy my buddy reports to. Looks like I'm calling him tonight. :unsure:
NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who knows what this guy did to get a gm job. What a jokeBeing a more astute talent evaluator than Roseman is like being the tallest midget. I guess Luck will be the next qb Indy tries to ride for the next ten yearsI would say it was a positive for the Birds, but they'll probably just replace him with another pencil pusher

not til after the draft tho right? i think scout contracts go til after the draft so grigson wont be taking any scouts til after draft

Say. It. Ain't. So. :no:

First we lose G-King's inside track, now DH is on the fast train outta here. Sad day.

So if your buddy goes are there some great stories you can then reveal to us?

Users who are viewing this thread