What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***2013 Baseball Hall of Fame Thread (2 Viewers)

'Tremendous Upside said:
Word on the street is no one is getting in this yearPiazza should be a no brainer IMO
If he used steroids he would have had better stats. Well, at least he still has his balls.

'Don Quixote said:
Word on the street is no one is getting in this year
most loaded ballot since the first one or two years. quite a shame.
Based on precincts reporting, Biggio is supposedly the closest to the 75% threshold. It'll be funny if he's the only one to make it in this year since he was underrated for much of his career as an active player.
Where do you find a list of published ballots?
This BBTF topic has been tracking ballots of writers who've publicly stated who they're voting for.

'Don Quixote said:
Word on the street is no one is getting in this year
most loaded ballot since the first one or two years. quite a shame.
Based on precincts reporting, Biggio is supposedly the closest to the 75% threshold. It'll be funny if he's the only one to make it in this year since he was underrated for much of his career as an active player.
Where do you find a list of published ballots?
This BBTF topic has been tracking ballots of writers who've publicly stated who they're voting for.
Thanks. :thumbup:

lifted from the Hot Stove thread...

2013 Hall of Fame roundtable coming up on MLB at the top of the hour, hosted by Costas.I missed the first showing at 9pm. One of the panelists is Mad Dog Russo. This will be worth a watch for his incoherent babbling alone.
bunch of blowhards, esp that Mad Dog guy. This whole discussion, with the exception of Posnanski, was a great example of how these guys just pick who they want, and then make up the rationale later.

Official: For the only the eighth time, first since 1996 -- on a ballot including Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens -- no one was elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame. First-time candidate Craig Biggio came closest, as he was named on 68.2% of ballots (39 votes short of election).Looks like the drug lords are going to have quite a wait.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunate. Like I said in the other thread. The baseball HoF now means nothing to me at all, on any level. I probably won't even make the effort to go and I would have liked to. But frankly, I can see pictures and videos and watch specials about all the guys I didn't get to see. The baseball writers as a unit are useless and not worth any support in any way for their work or opinion.I could get Pete Rose. I thought he should have been in, but I get the gambling - there has to be some integrity that gambling attacks more than anything else. It's more a personal grudge at this point anyway, but, I get it. This is a joke. Barry Bonds is the greatest player of my generation and is no question a top 10 player all time. Roger Clemens is a top 3 all time in the history of the game pitcher. Sosa and Piazza should be there as well. So should McGuire. If the HoF doesn't have those players than it isn't a Hall of Fame. It's a baseball writer's circle jerk. I will no longer have any part of it in any manner.

388Craig Biggio68.20%

385Jack Morris67.70%

339Jeff Bagwell59.60%

329Mike Piazza57.80%

297Tim Raines52.20%

272Lee Smith47.80%

221Curt Schilling38.80%

214Roger Clemens37.60%

206Barry Bonds36.20%

204Edgar Martinez35.90%

191Alan Trammell33.60%

123Larry Walker21.60%

118Fred McGriff20.70%

106Dale Murphy18.60%

96Mark McGwire16.90%

75Don Mattingly13.20%

71Sammy Sosa12.50%

50Rafael Palmeiro8.80%

------------------------------------------

19Bernie Williams3.30%

18Kenny Lofton3.20%

16Sandy Alomar Jr.2.80%

6Julio Franco1.10%

5David Wells0.90%

4Steve Finley0.70%

2Shawn Green0.40%

1Aaron Sele0.20%

0Jeff Cirillo0.00%

0Royce Clayton0.00%

0Jeff Conine0.00%

0Roberto Hernandez0.00%

0Ryan Klesko0.00%

0Jose Mesa0.00%

0Reggie Sanders0.00%

0Mike Stanton0.00%

0Todd Walker0.00%

0Rondell White0.00%

0Woody Williams0.00%

*Candidates receiving less than 5% of the vote on all ballots cast are removed from future BBWAA consideration; Dale Murphy received 18.6% of the vote in his 15th and final year of BBWAA eligibility

388Craig Biggio68.20%

385Jack Morris67.70%

339Jeff Bagwell59.60%

329Mike Piazza57.80%

297Tim Raines52.20%

272Lee Smith47.80%

221Curt Schilling38.80%

214Roger Clemens37.60%

206Barry Bonds36.20%

204Edgar Martinez35.90%

191Alan Trammell33.60%

123Larry Walker21.60%

118Fred McGriff20.70%

106Dale Murphy18.60%

96Mark McGwire16.90%

75Don Mattingly13.20%

71Sammy Sosa12.50%

50Rafael Palmeiro8.80%

------------------------------------------

19Bernie Williams3.30%

18Kenny Lofton3.20%

16Sandy Alomar Jr.2.80%

6Julio Franco1.10%

5David Wells0.90%

4Steve Finley0.70%

2Shawn Green0.40%

1Aaron Sele0.20%

0Jeff Cirillo0.00%

0Royce Clayton0.00%

0Jeff Conine0.00%

0Roberto Hernandez0.00%

0Ryan Klesko0.00%

0Jose Mesa0.00%

0Reggie Sanders0.00%

0Mike Stanton0.00%

0Todd Walker0.00%

0Rondell White0.00%

0Woody Williams0.00%

*Candidates receiving less than 5% of the vote on all ballots cast are removed from future BBWAA consideration; Dale Murphy received 18.6% of the vote in his 15th and final year of BBWAA eligibility
Someone thought Aaron Sele should get a HOF vote?

388Craig Biggio68.20%

385Jack Morris67.70%

339Jeff Bagwell59.60%

329Mike Piazza57.80%

297Tim Raines52.20%

272Lee Smith47.80%

221Curt Schilling38.80%

214Roger Clemens37.60%

206Barry Bonds36.20%

204Edgar Martinez35.90%

191Alan Trammell33.60%

123Larry Walker21.60%

118Fred McGriff20.70%

106Dale Murphy18.60%

96Mark McGwire16.90%

75Don Mattingly13.20%

71Sammy Sosa12.50%

50Rafael Palmeiro8.80%
All would be HoF'ers in my book. Maybe the fans need to start their own HoF. Website style - the true Hall of Fame and not the baseball writers masterbating self love of a useless museum. This would be no different then the Smithsonian looking at the sea air and space museum and removing and not allowing in anything to do with the Space Shuttle program because it was a failure based on what it was designed for. Joke.

Unfortunate. Like I said in the other thread. The baseball HoF now means nothing to me at all, on any level. I probably won't even make the effort to go and I would have liked to. But frankly, I can see pictures and videos and watch specials about all the guys I didn't get to see. The baseball writers as a unit are useless and not worth any support in any way for their work or opinion.I could get Pete Rose. I thought he should have been in, but I get the gambling - there has to be some integrity that gambling attacks more than anything else. It's more a personal grudge at this point anyway, but, I get it. This is a joke. Barry Bonds is the greatest player of my generation and is no question a top 10 player all time. Roger Clemens is a top 3 all time in the history of the game pitcher. Sosa and Piazza should be there as well. So should McGuire. If the HoF doesn't have those players than it isn't a Hall of Fame. It's a baseball writer's circle jerk. I will no longer have any part of it in any manner.
:goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting:

Word on the street is no one is getting in this yearPiazza should be a no brainer IMO
why is Piazza a no-brainer?
Arguably the top hitting catcher of all-time. If it can seriously be argued that a guy is the top hitter at his position, he should be a no-brainer Hall inductee.
Are you including pitchers?
excluding pitchers, obviously

Part of the problem seems to be that it was such a packed ballot this year. Looking at the BBWAA page, most writers had 5 or more names (sure there will a fair number with less). The challenge seemed to be getting 75% agreement on any of those five.Baseball would probably be better off with a football-type approach where they keep winnowing the list down.

Unfortunate. Like I said in the other thread. The baseball HoF now means nothing to me at all, on any level. I probably won't even make the effort to go and I would have liked to. But frankly, I can see pictures and videos and watch specials about all the guys I didn't get to see. The baseball writers as a unit are useless and not worth any support in any way for their work or opinion.

I could get Pete Rose. I thought he should have been in, but I get the gambling - there has to be some integrity that gambling attacks more than anything else. It's more a personal grudge at this point anyway, but, I get it. This is a joke. Barry Bonds is the greatest player of my generation and is no question a top 10 player all time. Roger Clemens is a top 3 all time in the history of the game pitcher. Sosa and Piazza should be there as well. So should McGuire. If the HoF doesn't have those players than it isn't a Hall of Fame. It's a baseball writer's circle jerk. I will no longer have any part of it in any manner.
I'm with you. Even if you eliminate the guys for whom there's significant evidence of PED use, I don't see how you keep out Biggio, Bagwell, Piazza and Raines.When you look at the ballots, it seems pretty obvious that way too many guys voted with agendas. Even setting aside the PED controversy, three guys voted only for Jack Morris, a man who never once had a season with an ERA under 3.00 (every pitcher who is a member of the HOF has at least two). I think it's obvious that he doesn't belong. While I can understand thinking that he does, I can't fathom thinking he belongs but nobody else has a resume better than that. Seems obvious to me what's going on there- they're not just being irrational in taking a misguided stand against PEDs, they're being irrational in taking a misguided stand against sabermetrics, too.

I wish Conine would have gotten at least one vote. I bet I had had him on every single one of my fantasy teams until he retired."He is the last cleanup hitter not drafted, he is a steal in the 8th round. Someone has to drive in runs for Balt/Fla/KC."

Maddux gets in on first ballot, has to.
agree.i used to think he had a decent chance to be the first unanimous pick, but the ballot is now so loaded that there will be a few that omit him, to get someone else on their ballot instead.
See my post above. Plus, there's a pant-load of people coming in 2015 like No-MAH and a couple others I forget. The next couple of years could get real tough IMO.

caught the end of an espn segment where Pedro Gomez was saying his vote will be determined on his gut and the eye ball test. Just left me shaking my head to hear some of these guys link votes to complete speculation is total crap IMO. Complete cluster #### with no end in sight

agree.i used to think he had a decent chance to be the first unanimous pick, but the ballot is now so loaded that there will be a few that omit him, to get someone else on their ballot instead.
See my post above. Plus, there's a pant-load of people coming in 2015 like No-MAH and a couple others I forget. The next couple of years could get real tough IMO.
Garciaparra has a better chance of being off the ballot after one year than getting elected, particularly in the current climate.

Next year, Maddux, Glavine, and Big Hurt become eligible. In 2015, there is Big Unit, Pedro, and Smoltz.

Next year, Maddux, Glavine, and Big Hurt become eligible. In 2015, there is Big Unit, Pedro, and Smoltz.
Provisional 2014 eligiblesI expect Sean Casey will get a couple of votes from sportswriters who liked him personally

I love the hypocricy among the voters. They were all front and center cheering for these players and writing how wonderful it was that people cared abour baseball again. All the while, looking the other way as several of the players went from looking like baseball players to looking like defensive ends. "PEDs? Yeah, probably but my, look how far that ball went!!!" But now, watching the voters scurry like rats from these same players while claiming they hold the keys to baseballs morality......makes me sick.

I heard a proposal recently (maybe it's been discussed here already) that out of the HoF, there are 100 players designated as the "greatest ever". However, you can get kicked out of the "greatest ever" by some new "greatest ever". Not out of the HoF, but out of the "l33t" of the HoF. Then you could let all kinds borderline guys in to the basic Hall, but not into the "greatest ever".

Users who are viewing this thread